Message Boards

Topic : 06/19 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 191
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 01, 2006, 03:21:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 12/05/06) Dr. Phil and Robin answer viewer questions! Melissa wrote in because her boyfriend, Destin, believes gambling is his right because he’s the man of the house. But Destin’s hobby caused them to lose their home, and Melissa fears that their son will grow up without basic necessities. Robin shares her own personal experience with a father who had a gambling problem and offers hope for this family’s future. Then, meet a couple at odds over whether giving their children “kiddie cocktails” will promote underage drinking and glorify alcoholic behavior. Plus, a young woman who thinks affection is “gross,” a woman who needs more romance, and a special surprise for an inspirational woman devoted to changing the lives of young burn victims. Join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 5, 2006, 8:56 am CST

Complete Shock seems to sum it up!!

As I type this Dr. Phil is still on the TV...I don't remember Dr.Phil and Robin Being SO SO Wrong!!...First I am talking about the couple who didn't agree with the kiddie cocktail's...YES he is being over protective and anyone can see that but They all missed the mark..The fact that Dr. Phil, Robin, Dr.Phil's son and the mans wife NEVER answered the husbands very simple and important question...."If pretend drinking is OK and not glorifying later alcohol use then is it OK to allow and buy our children pretend bubble gum cigarettes?"...Most adults remember that candy...gum wrapped in paper with sugar powder in it so when you blowed into the cigg. smoke came out the end. Or the small candy cigarettes that came in a pretend but real looking cigg. box and the tips were red like a flame. Wasn't it unusual that NOT 1 person addressed that?...why do you ask...SIMPLE not one responsible loving mother, father,family member or decent human being can validate that ridiculous action...WAKE UP alcohol use just as cigarette use KILLS...nothing is OK or cute about that...Loosening up and relaxing is not a responsible answer...being over protective is not an answer...Realizing adult habits are just that- adult -so how can you separate the above two?How can you justify one and insist the other is wrong?..I challenge ANYONE to try and plea the case..."HOW is pretend drinking different than pretend smoking?

December 5, 2006, 10:04 am CST

How do I fulfill my dreams?

Dr. Phil, I  have no money to be what I want to be in life. I want to be a model. But I don't know any places around Clinton or SC period that I will be able to go to without money. All other modeling careers have falling because of money issues. I'm NOT saying I'm poor I'm just saying I don't have modeling money. Dr. Phil can you help me out?

December 5, 2006, 10:08 am CST

12/05 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Quote From: fotoman1133406

O.K. Guys,

Here's what's what...25 Apr.,'06 lost my wife of thirteen yrs, to kidney disease. Now I'm out , having to start over, and hate it...alone. Alone is toture...alone is hell.

What I need help...finding my new life(life partner).

HELP>
Here's what you should do, pray to God about it and everything will fall into place.

December 5, 2006, 10:20 am CST

two things

Quote From: soniaphillips

Whether Drinking Gambeling or drugs I think it is all bad and especially if it all goes back to different generations of families (ex. parents, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) because then the children that are born into that lifestyle will see that it is all ok to do and won't see any reason to change their ways just because mom and dad say so. Also if the parents don't think that they have a Gambeling,or drinking problem and continue to live in denial then the children will also. I don't care what the drink once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.

I have a uncle that is an alcoholic and chain smoker and no matter who tells him he still continues with his bad habits. I chose a long time ago when I saw him headed down this road that I wasn't going to be like him and have remained so.

These children need to be in rehab but unless they are underage no one can force them to go and even then they won't stay if they don't want to be there or their parents or any other legal guardian aren't there to keep watch over them. 

It is a rebellious thing that kids do to fit in with "the in crowd" no matter who gets hurt they like to live life on the edge or dangerously because to them it is fun and they don't want to hear anything about how it is wrong from their family or anyone close to their parents ages. If anything thay want to hear it from someone close to their own age because they will be more likely to listen to them maybe  they won't take what is said to heart right away but when reality finally hits they will realize the error of their ways and look for someone to help them or admit themselves to rehab.

First of all I grew up in a home where my Dad drank beer. I didn't drink it. Why because I knew if I did that my parents would have punished me. It is against the law. I live in a small town in Montana. Some of the kids  that I work with are underage and drinking heavily. For some reason it is accepted here. I would love to know where the are getting the booze from because I would turn that place in to the police in a heart beat.
Secondly. About showing affection. It is weird what we miss. This year I will not be able to spend Christmas with my family. I will be alone. What I wouldn't give to be sitting at my Mom's table helping her to prepare the family feast. Affection comes in different ways it is important and to shut it down is to miss out. That is what I think

December 5, 2006, 11:13 am CST

you really dont need dr phil to fufill your dream

Quote From: shadae

Dr. Phil, I  have no money to be what I want to be in life. I want to be a model. But I don't know any places around Clinton or SC period that I will be able to go to without money. All other modeling careers have falling because of money issues. I'm NOT saying I'm poor I'm just saying I don't have modeling money. Dr. Phil can you help me out?
all you really need is a good saving plan,and you may be able to search the web for goverment grants to help you as well, there are progams in place to assist people with your pashion to sceede in a good career,it would be worth looking into all options avabile to you, it seems you just really need to be steered in the wright direction,good luck in your search, im sure you will find good results

December 5, 2006, 11:13 am CST

be strong

O.K. Guys,

Here's what's what...25 Apr.,'06 lost my wife of thirteen yrs, to kidney disease. Now I'm out , having to start over, and hate it...alone. Alone is toture...alone is hell.

HELP>

hi, not sure what kind of a husband you were, but it seems you really cared about this person and I'm glad that there are still caring men out there.

Please try and smile and find joy in doing outdoor things.  Join some activities where you can meet new ppl and in time you will fill that void.  I'm sure there is a lot you can offer to someone, most of all, important keep your morals high, your fidelity strong, your loyalty in tact and smile big.  Everyone loves smiles.

again stay strong and keep active, don't isolate yourself.  Let everyone of your associates know that you need some healthy association and help with living life again.  I suppose you never had kids, kids seem to be the perfect companions I find.  Otherwise pottery classes, a coffee witha  good pal and reading the 'horrible' local news, hit the local gym and for me...walking like a mad woman.. can't get enough.... nothing like creating some dimention to your physique. Pls give those suggestions a shot, it will take a few weeks to grow accustomed to change but life will start feeling refreshing again. Trust me.

be hopeful ok, there's still plenty of life in you and all you gotta to do grab hold of it...

smile nice and big , k :D

December 5, 2006, 11:27 am CST

you are not alone

O.K. Guys,

HELP>

December 5, 2006, 11:42 am CST

dr phil once again you simpley amaze me!

never in my wildest dreams would i have ever thought i would see one man making such a big difference in needy peoples lives and giving them there dignity back, i truly do believe god broke the mold when he created you, wow no words can ever express all the good that you do, i hope one day soon you are rewarded for all your kindness,maybe a couple of grandchildren running around to look up to you would be a grand reward,one never knows what reward the lord has instore, but you can be certin it will be grand, god bless you and all the people that make your work possible, god has smiled upon you, and i cant think of a more deserving soul,

December 5, 2006, 12:08 pm CST

Parents Bad. Gambling Bad. Common Sense Good.

Those who feel it is "cool" or "OK" to give alcohol to underage kids had better beware...there's a push in this state (FL) and in others around the US to make that a FELONY (no, not just a misdemeanor and a fine, but a 3rd degree felony punishable by prison time)! Children are CHILDREN....not yet mature enough to make great decisions, which is why God gave them us parents! As a former high school teacher and a current mother of two, I can tell you that it's NEVER ok for a parent to say YES to their child's underage drinking. Not only is it morally wrong, it's dangerous, irresponsible and criminal. Let's stop trying to be our children's FRIENDS and be their PARENTS (and good role models)!

As for gambling and teens, I never would have believed it could become an "addiction" if I had not worked with a 17-yr-old boy who couldn't stop going to places where he could gamble. He used up all his part-time job paychecks and then began stealing from family and friends. This was an otherwise great kid, but his eyes would get all glossy whenever someone would mention "betting." It was a very sad situation and Lord knows what's happened to him since that time.

December 5, 2006, 12:11 pm CST

REAL Modeling takes little $$$

Quote From: shadae

Modeling takes NO money except the money to have photos taken.

Our 12-yr-old recently signed a modeling contract with a large Chicago agency (her agent is in their Orlando sattelite office). We paid for her photos (she wore her own clothing) and sent out the cards.

Within 2 months, she had two contracts offered her. Now it costs her NOTHING to make money (between $75 and $125 an hour).

If you have what the agent's/businesses want, you won't have to give THEM a cent. If they are requesting $$$ from you, they aren't LEGIT!  Good luck. If it's meant to be, it will be:)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last