Message Boards

Topic : 12/06 Teacher Troubles

Number of Replies: 1754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 01, 2006, 03:22:29 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Kids across the country are playing pranks and harassing teachers. Tericka, a high school science teacher who loved her job, lived in fear of her scandalous past catching up with her and getting her fired. Students eventually found out about her shocking past and the news spread throughout town like wildfire. Are other teachers taking her side, or do they feel her punishment was justified? How can she move forward? Then, Anna, an assistant principal, was harassed on the Internet when two students created a fake MySpace page alleging to be her. She says they completely attacked her character and need to be held accountable for their actions. Was this just a practical joke gone bad, or were these students out for revenge? Find out what Anna did to show these kids that some jokes just aren't funny. Could the mischief your kids get into end up costing you thousands of dollars? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 3, 2006, 7:07 pm CST

Not Right

I am from the same area this teacher is from.  I do not think she should have lost her job.  She made a mistake when she was younger and changed.  I know it would cause a disturbance within the school, but I think she could have been transferred or something....not fired and condimed for her past.   I think what made it worse than it would have been in other areas is because we live in the "Bible Belt".  I feel sorry for her.  I wish her luck.  With all the publicity this situation has stirred up, I'm sure she is having a rough time.

December 3, 2006, 8:32 pm CST

Tough Kids

I am a teacher at a behavioral school.  I think it is important to set a good example for students as many of them do not have a good example at school.  However,  children must also be held accountable for their actions.  Many of the children that I see at our school come from either abusive, or permissive homes.  Often these children hurt their parents, teachers, and their peers.  If these kids are dragging their principal through the mud in the name of a joke, they need to be shown that this is not acceptable behavior.  If they are allowed to do this without consequences, they will probably do it again to others.

December 3, 2006, 9:37 pm CST

Teacher trouble

Hello there,

I've had my own cause of teacher trouble. I wasn't exactually the cause of me begin a problem for the teacher, it was more or less, the teacher doing it to me. I was going to appear on the Dr. Phil show but it never did happen for me.

December 3, 2006, 10:50 pm CST

myspace.com

I am not a teacher but I do help out myspace alot with ppl faking on myspace.  If I or if one else see that ppl are useing myspace for the wrong reason we report the problem and myspace deletes there account. Theres alot of ppl that do take jokes way too far like the kids took the Princels name and everything and put it on myspace that was way to far.. I am on myspace everyday & love it...

Thanks
Kevin Hurt

December 3, 2006, 11:17 pm CST

Spoiled Brats

I just dont understand how come they let kids rule the schools nowdays.    When i was in school if you got into trouble you had to pay for it.   Now the kids get smacked on the hands and turned loose to do what they want, say what they want, and dont ever have to pay for the conciquences of their mouths.    There is no respect for the teachers or any of the staff half the time, because they dont know how to show respect.    Kids now days has no respect for their elders or even for themselves.    I believe the whole problem started when the lady stuck her nose in and told them to take prayer out of school.      I hope the teacher that is having problems will stick it out and i hope she takes the kids and their parents to court for defimation of character.     You know what we do in our past should stay in our past.     Did God not forgive us of our transgressions and sins.     Like the good book says " Judge not lest ye be judged"

December 4, 2006, 1:18 am CST

So Many Teachers Are Abused

I was a teacher in the Detroit Public School System.  Seven years ago I had to take a disability retirement due to bone problems.  It was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

I really loved the first grade students that I taught, and was a very creative  reading and math teacher.  However, I encountered racism from the black parents.  I am white female married to a Hispanic man. Detroit has a huge drug problem. Too many of the parents are apathetic, and do not mentally or physically care for their children.  There are lack of meals, warm clothing, encouragement, etc. 

Although I have a master's degree plus 60 credits beyond, and spent 8 years, minus 2 summers in college, I think my bone problems were a blessing in disguise.  Teaching is very stressful and so many times thankless.  I try to remember the parents who were good to their children, who did appreciate my work, the many children who were happy when they were learning in my room, earned prizes, etc.  but the bad far outweighed the good.  I really hated it when parents played the race card.

Detroit NEVER has enough text books, work books, pencils, crayons, etc.  I spent in excess of $3K each and every year in the basics.  We were only provided with one case of duplicating paper, and of course had 28+ students in the classroom.  One year I had 37 first graders and NO HELP.  The stories you hear about no toilet paper are TRUE.  There are broken toilets, no doors for privacy, facets that do not work, and hand soap?  You must be kidding.  Where is the health department?

Stress of course is on the administrators from their administrators, and parents who frequently are argumentative and on crack.  Teachers get it both from their administrators and from the parents.  Sound like a job from hell?  Well it is.  My last 6 months on the job were spent each morning with uncontrollable convulsing, trying to vomit, with nothing coming up.  I would highly advise anyone thinking about going into teaching to spend a week in an inner city school system before you think about doing the coursework for the job.  And for those of you who do not believe me, do the same.  Volunteer for a week in your neighborhood school and see what goes on in there.  You will get a renewed respect for teachers, administrators, educational assistants, etc.  Kids are out of control, there seems to be very little to be done, except exclude them, and then when they come back, more times than not, their behavior has not changed too much.  Counselors and social workers are either not hired as the budget does not permit it, or are so overworked with huge caseloads, that it is barely a bandage.

It all starts in the home.  School is no substitute for good parenting.  Parents need to parent, and teachers need to educate.  It is impossible to do when children have no self control.  It all begins in the home.

Am I negative about children, school and teaching now?  You bet.  Am I glad I am out of there?  You bet.  Again, don't believe me? Spend a week, not an hour, not a day, but a week in your local school.  You will get a true perspective.  It is my hope that I reached  at least one person in the entire United States, and they have gone to their local school to check things out. 

This program has not aired yet, so I will reserve my comments on the teacher firing. 

December 4, 2006, 5:20 am CST

both sides!

when i was in school i was a bully and i used to torment alot of my teacher for no reason. no, there was a reason, i was young and dumb and and on drugs. but i grew up and had my own kids and learned the hard way. i honestly believe what goes around comes around. when my son was in middle school he had alot of problems. he is adhd bi-polar and odd, and the teachers didn't know the first thing about dealing with kids like him. because of his bad behavior some not all of the teachers reverted to children themselves and started embarressing him in front of the whole class and making him feel stupid. it caused alot of problems for him, but then he caught on to what they were doing and he turned the tables on them and was involved in some bad rummors about certaim teachers about things that suppossedly happened along time ago. then when he would get to class he would embaress the teachers before they had a chance to embaress him. but kids can be cruel and the teacher couldn't compete with him.the results, they ended up telling him that if he would sit there and just keep quiet they would pass him,because it wasn't that he couldn't do the work but he was a behaviorial problem. whe i found out i removed him from the school and put him in private school. that experience started the path for a long and hard path to this day. teachers are so quick to punish the'bad' kid but yet when teachers do wrong they are given leeway and given more chances. don't get me wrong not all teachers are bad but as with anyone you have to becarefull with the choices you make at any age especially when your considering becoming a teacher because as i said earlier kids can be cruel and if they have parents who went to school with those teachers and know about their past, and now they r teaching the other persons kids, the teachers better hope their past doesn't come back to bite them . i feel bad for the teachers but to me what comes around, goes around. so to this teacher, stay strong and good luck!

December 4, 2006, 8:16 am CST

Brats

Quote From: mamaw1954

I just dont understand how come they let kids rule the schools nowdays.    When i was in school if you got into trouble you had to pay for it.   Now the kids get smacked on the hands and turned loose to do what they want, say what they want, and dont ever have to pay for the conciquences of their mouths.    There is no respect for the teachers or any of the staff half the time, because they dont know how to show respect.    Kids now days has no respect for their elders or even for themselves.    I believe the whole problem started when the lady stuck her nose in and told them to take prayer out of school.      I hope the teacher that is having problems will stick it out and i hope she takes the kids and their parents to court for defimation of character.     You know what we do in our past should stay in our past.     Did God not forgive us of our transgressions and sins.     Like the good book says " Judge not lest ye be judged"

I'm from the old school and I apalled by the action of some students today.  Teachers need to take back the schools and have zero tolerance for unacceptable behavior. Students need to be taught from the start that room for inappropriate behavior and that there will be serious consequences.  I believe teachers need to be fair and not provoke a situation and care about thier students.  Stop catering to unruly behavior.  As adults we have no one to blame but ourselves.  Administrators need to take action and move toward resolving issues.  Doing so

early on in a childs development should minimize potential problems.  When I was in school

there was respect regardless if you cared for the teacher and parents need to support the teachers.

December 4, 2006, 8:33 am CST

What area is that?

Quote From: aubija2

I am from the same area this teacher is from.  I do not think she should have lost her job.  She made a mistake when she was younger and changed.  I know it would cause a disturbance within the school, but I think she could have been transferred or something....not fired and condimed for her past.   I think what made it worse than it would have been in other areas is because we live in the "Bible Belt".  I feel sorry for her.  I wish her luck.  With all the publicity this situation has stirred up, I'm sure she is having a rough time.
I live in the Bible Belt too (NC) and I tell you the level of rigidity and judemental attitudes never ceases to amaze me.  I have not seen the show, but whatever it was that she did or didn't do, if she has turned her life around and to quote the Bible "sinned no more"...what do people want from her?  Or is there some sort of vicarious pleasure in the power to ruin someone?

December 4, 2006, 10:01 am CST

unfair judgement

I am from Murray,ky an area about 45 min from where this took place. She was very well liked by alot of students and i really think this was an unfair call on the schools part. She had done this years ago and even her children weren't aware of it and for this to go public has caused her so much pain and humiliation.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as the saying goes. Maybe someone should dig into their past as well.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last