Message Boards

Topic : 12/11 Dr. Phil and Robin’s Christmas Show!

Number of Replies: 310
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 08, 2006, 02:28:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil and Robin invite you to celebrate the holidays with their family - Jay, Erica, Jordan and even Dr. Phil’s mom! As National Spokespersons for Toys for Tots, Dr. Phil and Robin are making dreams comes true for deserving families who fill the audience. The performers from Dancing with the Stars Tour have tangoed, waltzed and salsa danced into millions of viewers’ homes. They help Dr. Phil and Robin spread a little holiday cheer. Then, Vanessa Williams, who plays the mean boss on the new hit show Ugly Betty, brings a surprise guest. Plus, Jay and his new wife, Erica, share some of their favorite things, the cast of How I Met Your Mother drops by, and a celebrity performance you won’t want to miss! Get the scoop on the hottest games and electronics for your family’s holiday list! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2006, 6:52 am CST

great job

wonderful show today..... the looks on the faces of the people was great...i never gave to toys for tots  until this year i know  the gift i gave will make a difference in a childs life.. thanks dr. phil for making people awear of the need............

December 11, 2006, 7:01 am CST

Yes Children of all ages, There IS a Santa Claus!

Quote From: kizmo90

I found this on an other board and thought it was very interesting.

This is what Christmas giving is all about in my opinion.

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the way my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous" cinnamon buns I knew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so. It had to be true.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?" she snorted...."Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put on your coat, and let's go."

"Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't even finished my second world-famous cinnamon bun.

"Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.

That was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she said, "and buy something for someone who needs it I'll wait for you  in the car."

Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's. I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but  never had I shopped for anything all by myself.

The store seemed big and crowded, full of people scrambling to finish their Christmas shopping. For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and who on earth to buy it for. I thought of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, the kids at school, the people who went to my church.

I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of  Bobby Decker. He was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's third grade class.

Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out to recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat.  I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement.  I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked real warm, and he would like that.

"Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down.

"Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."

The nice lady smiled at me, as I told her about how Bobby really needed a good winter coat. I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in a bag, smiled again, and wished me a Merry Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat (a little tag fell out of the coat, and  Grandma tucked it in her Bible) in Christmas paper and ribbons and wrote, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it. Grandma said that Santa always insisted on secrecy.

Then she drove me over to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially, one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going."

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present down on his step, pounded his door and flew back to the safety of the bushes and Grandma.

Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering, beside my Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes.

That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just what Grandma said they were: ridiculous. Santa was alive and well, and we were on his team. I still have the Bible, with the coat tag tucked inside: $19.95.

May you always have LOVE to share, HEALTH to spare and FRIENDS that care....And may you always believe in the magic of Santa Claus!

My daughter is 8 years old and is labeled as GT at her school.  She likes Dinosaurs, science, and things she can understand because she has evidence to prove they exist.  Yet she still believes in Santa.  I know she is pretty well decided that there is no such person, and that we do all the gift giving, but she happily plays along with us and enjoys the whole charade  immensely.

You see, we explained to her that Santa Claus is more than an image, or a cartoon character.  Santa Claus is the visual embodiment of Love.  He is the spirit of loving giving that takes hold of so many of us at this time.  Whether in celebration of a particular religious observance, or simply because it makes us all feel good to collectively gather and make other people feel good.  The whole thing is about caring and sharing.   I think my child is happy to continue with the whole "believing" in Santa fantasy because all this conspires to create a wonderful time of sharing and making memories, as well as providing some pretty fun gifts for her to receive and give.  I think in her mind, the proof that Santa exists is all the decorations, lights, happy moments spent doing things together, as well her being able to shop for and give gifts to her favorite people, just because she loves them.  So as long as she feels the love, I think for her, there really Is a Santa Claus

December 11, 2006, 7:32 am CST

This is Great

Quote From: heartsmade123

wonderful show today..... the looks on the faces of the people was great...i never gave to toys for tots  until this year i know  the gift i gave will make a difference in a childs life.. thanks dr. phil for making people awear of the need............
I think this show is great its really cool how he is giving away all this stuff at this time of the year they need an uplifting in there life in this world. Dose anyone know what the name of that stuff was that Robin had that had the green tee in it? Let me know please thanks..

Gloria

December 11, 2006, 7:54 am CST

so jealous!!!

Dear Dr. Phil, Mrs. Phil, Gramma Phil, and family and friendly gift givers...

I watched your show today and it blew me away. I have been dealing with a lot this year and have been so unable to buy any gifts that I would much more prefer to not have anything and to give to my loved ones instead. That is the reason your show brought tears to my eyes. More so than the Oprah show not too long ago. I just wanted to say that you filled me with endless hope for the world. There are still good folks out there. So, thanks a lot, and my wish to you for the holiday.... regardless of what any guest may say that is rude toward you, may you know you obviously hit a button right on the nose....good for you. Happy Holidays!!! xoxo Ashley B...( I am so JEALOUS OF ALL THOSE LUCKY PEOPLE! )

December 11, 2006, 7:59 am CST

dr phil christmas show

i really enjoyed the christmas show that you and your family did today. you really are an inspiration to people and you really brightened up the audience as well as the children from mississippi. i really whis that i could afford to come to the show. i have 2 children and just moved to charlotte nc and ive been seeking employment since june. my husband is working like crazy to make ends meet and were not able to buy them christmas this year. but as long as we have each other and we have good health and strength them i consider us to be blessed. keep up the good work dr phil  because of all the work that you and robin are doing you will truly be a childs angel this christmas when they receive the gift that they thought they would not receive or to a family that was in the audience today that never thought they would see the day they would receive the gifts that you shared with them today. you are a blessing to many families and i really admire the works you do for people.

December 11, 2006, 8:20 am CST

A warm fussy

Just a quick note to say I think it is wonderful that you are able to do this and use that ability that you have to do so.  I just got that warm fussy feeling watching everyone else get the gifts.  I also love the fact that you are helping toys for tots....another way for all of us to give to the children that otherwise might not have Christmas, without others being so loving and giving.  Merry Christmas to all the message board fans and just look for someone to love and you can find the reason for this season. 

December 11, 2006, 8:26 am CST

dear dr phil

i watched the show today...and was jealous of those  who were on the show.   so much has been lost this year especially when i lost my mom in august of this  year unexpectedly to cancer. this year i don't have the money to buy for anyone, very little for my 2 kids. i wish i didnt have to deal with xmas at all. too depressed to deal with all the holiday things. plus trying to help my father through this and wearing myself down . just wish it all would go away so i dont have to deal with xmas.      sue1124@sbcglobal.net

December 11, 2006, 8:56 am CST

Merry Christmas Dr. Phil and Family

I certainly applaud your work in helping these families with christmas this year. It is wonderful that you and others who donated have that ability. However I do have one thought. My husband and I struggle almost every day to purchase things we need and especially to buy things at christmas for our son. I've watched your christmas show today and what I see being handed out are not necessarily things that most people in my situation need. I am purely assuming though that all the families in the audience are low-income families such as ours. If they are not then please excuse my misunderstanding that. I just know that if I sat down and thought of the things that I wished for most this christmas, barely even a quarter of what is being given out would be on my list. Now don't get me wrong...I would give anything in this world to have all that you handed out. But I would have to think of my family before myself. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong and perhaps christmas is a time to get things you don't need but want. Maybe so. But unfortunately I am not in that situation where I can do that so everything I get this christmas must be a necessity. Fancy machines and fancy clothes are not on my list. I will be glad if I can purchase clothing for my son and my husband. I know I have went on and on but if even a few families in that audience felt the same way I do then maybe you would see it my way. Again I am sorry if I am misunderstanding how christmas is celebrated. I try to watch you show whenever I can. Thank you for all that you do. God Bless You All!

December 11, 2006, 9:43 am CST

Christmas Show

Dear Dr. Phil, Robin, and all those on this show,

I watch your show regularly. I am sitting here watching your Christmas Show and am crying like a baby! I am thrilled for all the people in your audience who received all of the wonderful things from all of you. I have five children and one new grandbaby and we struggle year after year all year long, not only at Christmas time. Christmas time is especially hard for me because I am never able to give the things I want to give to my family, mostly needs rather than wants. My children asked for a Christmas list from me and my list includes shoes, socks, and other things I need. Their lists also contain clothing items and very few luxury items. Many of the things you have given out on your show will certainly help the families who receive them. I applaud what you do for them. I only wish I had known what it would have taken for my family to be on your show for this giveaway. It would have been a dream come true for us. Instead, I sit here and cry because I am very happy for your audience's fortune at being there and receiving such wonderful things. God Bless you all for making their Christmas extra special; one I am sure they will not forget. Thank you for all you do!

December 11, 2006, 9:50 am CST

I'm upset with Dr Phil and Robin

Jealous, yes a little.  I'm upset because they give so much to the audience.  Had I been able to travel, let alone have the money to attend the show, I would have been there.  I'm disabled, I'm overweight (desperately trying to shed the pounds), I have arthritis in almost every joint of my body and I live in pain every day of my life.  Because I am living on disability income the doctors don't really care to help to much.  Hopefully I will be attending college again to try and get myself out of this hell!  I have written to both Dr. Phil and Robin asking for help with my weight, more than once and I have heard nothing back.  They give so much to people that will probably turn around and sell most of it and yet there are so many like me. 

I'm not a child and I'm not old, I was in a car wreck.  I get tired of watching him giving so much away and I sit here, not able to do anything.  I'm really angry.  I don't care who says they hate me or I should be grateful or whatever.  I am entitled to my feelings and expressing them in a manner that is healthy for me.  I'm not here to please the next person, I'm here for me.  I finally became the most important person in my life!!

I love Christmas, I don't have anyone close anymore to spend the day with so I do spend it alone and because I don't have the money to, I don't have Xmas decorations nor do I want any. 

Spreading the love has gone to far.  It should either be just about the children or none at all!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last