Message Boards

Topic : 12/12 Convince Me!

Number of Replies: 1266
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 08, 2006, 02:31:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil's guests are trying to convince him that they're not doing anything wrong. First up, Ty Beeson produces a video series where the homeless are encouraged to fight on camera and perform what some describe as demeaning stunts. Some critics say these videos could be responsible for inciting young men to commit heinous acts of violence, because Ty actually pays for the footage. You won't believe what happens when he comes onstage. It's a Dr. Phil first! Then, a woman whose homeless brother was beaten to death says what Ty is doing is dehumanizing and wrong. And, what do you think about the ban on models who are too thin? Drew is against the ban and says that it's not the fashion industry's job to keep an eye on the models, and skinny models promote a fantasy, not reality. A former model who was rejected by the industry at 6 feet tall and 135 pounds, disagrees with Drew, and she says her struggles to stay thin are still affecting her today. Then, Drew squares off with another model who was told she needed to lose weight. She turned a deaf ear and is now a model on Deal or No Deal. A heated discussion ensues, and Dr. Phil weighs in on these controversial issues. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 12, 2006, 6:58 am CST

Models

I think one thing that was not discussed on the show was the image that men see.  I am a college student and I have seen how guys look at models and actresses.  They see these super skinny, tan girls and think that all girls should look like that.  Well, I hate to break it to the males, but most girls don't look like that so guys need to get it out of their minds that they are going to find this "perfect" girl.

December 12, 2006, 6:59 am CST

ive gone through it all

My junior and senior years of high school, i suffered from anorexia and bulimia. It rips your life apart. Girls with eating disorders don't see what they are doing to themselves. Once you discover that you can lose weight, you are never satisfied wih your weight. I am 5-7 and i got down to 107 lbs. The way i got through it, was my xanga web site. there are tons of girls going through what you are. On this site girls would post thinspo of their favorite models and celebrities. It is obvious that girls look up to these people. i don't think that models should be banned or anything, but i think that they all shouldn't be stick thin. They should have more average sized people on the runway and billboards.

December 12, 2006, 7:00 am CST

But thin isn't in...

I know they're arguing about models having to be under a certain BMI (I'm sure many have stopped having periods or can't have kids b/c they're too skinny).  But I thought that models can't weigh under a certain amount either or they don't have curves.

Bones aren't that attractive to guys anymore than a blob of fat.  Curves are attractive, they mean you're healthy and not diseased (I've seen cancer pts w/ more curves!) 

Models should represent more of the reality instead of making it a competition to emulate a genetic impossibility.  A six foot woman should not weigh 135 lbs...that's way too small.  I'm about an inch shorter, weigh a couple of pounds more, and my family tells me I'M too skinny!   I can't  imagine how bad her self esteem is...being so tall is like a stigma in the modeling world.

It's a shame b/c tall women are beautiful ppl and desserve the right to feminity- I know a lot of tall women who feel too masculine b/c of their height.  But their are advantages to height- You don't show in a pregnancy until the 2nd trimester, they have a tendency to look thinner as they age b/c wt is more evenly distributed, and men don't have to bend over to kiss you!  So... tall women, stand tall, stand proud!

December 12, 2006, 7:05 am CST

Skinny Models

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!  That jerk talking about modeling and how the girls were a walking hanger - I could slap him!!!  He could not even directly answer a question that Dr. Phil asked him.  He just kept making excuses.  I have struggled with my weight all my life.  I finally found Weight Watchers and lost 106 pounds and kept it off for 7 years.  After moving to a different state away from my family and not staying with the program I have put back on 50 pounds.  For that stupid man to think that girls want to be that way and starve themselves he is a total cuckoo nut!  My father always told me when I was a little girl that if I was fat I was nothing so what did I do ..... EAT!  I am 5'9" tall and weighed 134 pounds and was constantly told I looked like a skeleton.  That girl that was 5'11" and was 135 pounds and they told her she needed to lose weight - CRAZY. 

December 12, 2006, 7:06 am CST

bum videos

Brovo  Dr Phil.

Some one should stop that man from making more of those videos.

December 12, 2006, 7:10 am CST

A Panorama of Disturbing Trends

Since the beginning of "civilization", people have entertained themselves with the suffering of others.  It feeds a sick and frightening side of human nature.  These fights are merely the latest evolution of the trend.  They do represent the sickest and most depraved of our exploitive nature.  The first and second segments of the show are linked so closely they are really one.  Unfortunately, it is also our nature to look past the homeless.  Most good people do this by pretending the homeless aren't real except in the abstract.  It is a reality that should keep us up at nights.  Yes, there are those who are homeless due to drugs and/or alcohol.  We have long since identified these as illnesses, so we can't call these the person's choice either.  Homeless people also include families.  Homelessness is a national disgrace and the exploitation, beating and murder of these unfortunate people simply illustrate our lack of care as a society.  The homeless have been described as "invisible".  That's what they are to us.  Think of how you would feel if no one would even look you in the eye.  This person who creates these films actually claims to be doing these people a favor.  I'd like to do him  few favors.  Thank you Dr. Phil for showing him the exit.

Regarding the models, the situation is simply not that difficult.  Discriminatory legislation is not an answer.  If we want to get away from the ultra thin models, let our money do the talking.  Boycott products that us the corporate image of beauty until they become much more realistic about people.  Of course this is especially true of women.  Women have been so brainwashed by Madison Avenue that most think you have to be thin to be attractive.  That is simply not true at all and has not been held as true historically.  Laws will not change that.  Money will.

December 12, 2006, 7:13 am CST

12/12 Convince Me!

thanks, i was so happy to see that thing thrown off your stage sir, for what ever you want to call it it shure  wasnt a man you threw out, it didnt even resemble a man.

December 12, 2006, 7:28 am CST

I've never been so angry & sad at someone

Oh my GOD!!  I cannot mentally digest that jackass's videos!!  It absolutely makes me so sick to my stomach & SAD TO THE CORE OF MY BEING.  I burst into tears when you were showing what that "person" had put together.  I couldn't even look.  I shook my head & just said "NO, NO NO..."  I cannot believe anyone could be so out of touch with their soul that they could do that to another human being.  I believe his soul must have left his body for him to be able to do that.  He should be put in prison.  I think there would be a law against what he did if the founding fathers had even thought that something like that would happen.  I'm sure if anyone brought it up at the time they were creating laws,  they would look at him like "lay off the crack pipe man- THAT'S never going to happen".  I am so sickened by this I WANT SOMETHING TO BE DONE.  Find out who bought them & get them all in prison & let them sit in there getting beaten,  and let's hand out pliers to some of the inmates so this "guy who's just putting the homeless to work" can see how much he helped the crack head. I'm so glad you kicked him off-  talking to him would have been a HUGE WASTE OF TIME.  I can't believe this.  What can we do about this?

December 12, 2006, 7:34 am CST

To thin modles are going to far

Dr. Phil I am amazed that that man actually thinks that skinny is in! My goodness I am 13 and I weigh around 114 lbs and 5 foot 4inches. You would think thats the average weight for a girl my age. Ha-ha. I am a softball player with really muscular legs. having models the size of coat hangers don't work for me . A pair of jeans don't fit  usually because  they are made for girls like that. As fast food restaurants have been getting bigger so has America so why cant our models get bigger too? I'm going to become a Famous actress I'm already getting turn down for certain roles in plays in my town. They say "You don't FIT for that role" what they are really saying " your too fat to have that role"  ( the nice way). I'm the biggest girl in my friends they are all dancers or way active in sports. (I'm not!) so some times i feel pressured in being thin. I think having models on the runway being the average Jane and Joe will make people feel better about themselves. I know I would. I have not eaten for a day or two before to look skinnier. All i look like is sick. If there was one thing that I could change about the runway is change there shape! If i was to ever buy something from the off the runway i would want it to fit. By having models look like the girl i saw on the street that is my size i could say "that would fit me i want to by that" Sadly not everyone sees that way. 

December 12, 2006, 7:34 am CST

"Walking hanger's"

I think the 'walking hanger'  model concept is ridiculous.  I don't want  to see how a garment looks on a hanger,  I want to see how it will look on me.  A person can pick out an item they think is great only to find out, when they try it on, it's not for them.  Or pick up something they think they'd never wear only to find out it's great on them.  So, how do you tell by looking at it on a hanger?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last