Message Boards

Topic : 12/12 Convince Me!

Number of Replies: 1266
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 08, 2006, 02:31:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil's guests are trying to convince him that they're not doing anything wrong. First up, Ty Beeson produces a video series where the homeless are encouraged to fight on camera and perform what some describe as demeaning stunts. Some critics say these videos could be responsible for inciting young men to commit heinous acts of violence, because Ty actually pays for the footage. You won't believe what happens when he comes onstage. It's a Dr. Phil first! Then, a woman whose homeless brother was beaten to death says what Ty is doing is dehumanizing and wrong. And, what do you think about the ban on models who are too thin? Drew is against the ban and says that it's not the fashion industry's job to keep an eye on the models, and skinny models promote a fantasy, not reality. A former model who was rejected by the industry at 6 feet tall and 135 pounds, disagrees with Drew, and she says her struggles to stay thin are still affecting her today. Then, Drew squares off with another model who was told she needed to lose weight. She turned a deaf ear and is now a model on Deal or No Deal. A heated discussion ensues, and Dr. Phil weighs in on these controversial issues. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2006, 7:19 pm CST

12/12 Convince Me!

The bumfights videos are dispicable!!!!

I've been homeless (just last year) and I volunteer at a local drop in shelter. Homeless people are human just like everyone else. Some are just down on their luck (the whole one paycheck away thing) Others have addiction problems,PTSD, or are mentally ill.

No one deserves to be ridiculed, beaten or killed because they don't have a place to call home.

The perverts who make these videos should serve jail time and be made to work in soup-kitchens and live in a box in the excercise yard of the prison....so they can see what it's like

December 9, 2006, 1:36 pm CST

12/12 Convince Me!

Quote From: faeryedark

I've been homeless (just last year) and I volunteer at a local drop in shelter. Homeless people are human just like everyone else. Some are just down on their luck (the whole one paycheck away thing) Others have addiction problems,PTSD, or are mentally ill.

No one deserves to be ridiculed, beaten or killed because they don't have a place to call home.

The perverts who make these videos should serve jail time and be made to work in soup-kitchens and live in a box in the excercise yard of the prison....so they can see what it's like

I  agree with you!!! 

December 9, 2006, 6:48 pm CST

12/12 Convince Me!

I agree.  I can't imagine any healthy brain thinking this is entertaining or funny.  It makes homeless seem than less than, when really, the homeless are just like the rest of us with a tad less luck.

December 10, 2006, 5:41 am CST

TURN IT ROUND

TY, TAKE THAT MONEY AND USE IT TO HELP THE HOMELESS, DO SOME GOOD, YOU WILL FIND IT MUCH MORE REWARDING.  

BLESS YOUR HEART, YOU ARE JUST CONFUSED

December 10, 2006, 7:16 am CST

12/12 Convince Me!

I won't be one viewing this show bum rush. 

But, the idea of such grossness doesn't surprise me.  Sadly our culture, as it continues to rapidly decline, will continue to show (and unfortunately it will get worst), this type of "entertainment".   Reminds me of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire and others.

I think programs like this masquerade as "entertainment" and there will always be voyeuers to this, there is some part of this culture that does not want to be civilized.  That things like this are condone and given airtime indicate that far too many  do not want to have good lives and derives a sick pleasure out of causing harm to another human being.  And then profit from it. 

Television is a powerful instructment and handled well can be a vehicle for good.  But as we are seeing money rules it all and it is being used, television, to give to us up close and personal, how truly sick and depraved we are becoming.  I don't care how much we want to pretty it up, it is happening from :Girls gone Wild" to "Bum Rush" this is what we are presenting to the world.

So when will the next ambitous person decide in harming you before we speak up.  All we need is a sick person to "assume" you are homeless when you may have done something as simple as wore your work clothing or gardening clothing and ran down to the local Home Depot and harm you?

December 11, 2006, 2:57 pm CST

Do you remember Karen Carpenter and her wonderful voice?

She also thought she had to be thinner and thinner ... and then she died. 

I love how one person recently said that she had a great husband, great children and a good life ... and she did NOT get any of that by losing weight!!

Parents, this is simply another topic we have to tell our children the WHOLE truth about.  We open the health books and show them all the bad effects of being too thin ... including the TRUTH that being too thin can KILL.  We can set the right example by eating and exercising the best we can.  Most of all, we remind our children that happiness IS the JOURNEY, and NEVER the destination!  If we or our children or family needs counseling, we get it.  Period.

And that anyone who tells us or our children anything different is trying to HURT us because they are SO messed up inside.  Very sad, but very true.  They want us to hurt like they do, they are trying to pull us down.  We remind our children over and over again all the different ways sad and hurting people try to make us feel as badly as they do, and we Just Say No to their insanity.

And then we do our best to live the best life we possibly can!  A life that every day, in hopefully one small way, is better than it was before.  Hard?  Oh yeah!  But it's what we have to teach and show our children, that no matter how hard it gets we will NOT give up, we will NOT let the lost souls win power over us, ever!

December 11, 2006, 6:29 pm CST

12/12 Convince Me!

I've never heard of the Bumfights videosmyself, but obviously I'm not missing much I guess.

But you know, society has reached a new low to find something like that entertaining, but then again, paternity testing and people literally fighting each othr on stage on certain talk shows are ratings boosters.  Sex sells, can we say Brittany, and as for the skinny models, well that's just sad, but unfortunatly is seems a size twelve can't sell underwear these days ( though size twelves do wear underwear, and the like, and curves look much better than skeletons ladies).

We have dolls that glamorize plastic surgery ( lip boosts and boob jobs) and the minis and such, along with the message that its better to be pretty and popular, not smart, am I the only one who's noticed that even now the smart girl is not attractive, while the pretty girls are screamers, or just not that bright ?

Maybe its just me, but I know the Tv is now off more than on anymore, there's just nothing on that I find appealing anymore, its all either so- called reality TV, talk shows, or something equally inane.

December 11, 2006, 8:55 pm CST

Me either!

Quote From: imagine

I won't be one viewing this show bum rush. 

But, the idea of such grossness doesn't surprise me.  Sadly our culture, as it continues to rapidly decline, will continue to show (and unfortunately it will get worst), this type of "entertainment".   Reminds me of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire and others.

I think programs like this masquerade as "entertainment" and there will always be voyeuers to this, there is some part of this culture that does not want to be civilized.  That things like this are condone and given airtime indicate that far too many  do not want to have good lives and derives a sick pleasure out of causing harm to another human being.  And then profit from it. 

Television is a powerful instructment and handled well can be a vehicle for good.  But as we are seeing money rules it all and it is being used, television, to give to us up close and personal, how truly sick and depraved we are becoming.  I don't care how much we want to pretty it up, it is happening from :Girls gone Wild" to "Bum Rush" this is what we are presenting to the world.

So when will the next ambitous person decide in harming you before we speak up.  All we need is a sick person to "assume" you are homeless when you may have done something as simple as wore your work clothing or gardening clothing and ran down to the local Home Depot and harm you?

Why is there so much anger and hatred in so many parts of our world these days? Callousness is trying to run the world...there's too much anger in politics,  too much war, too much fighting with neighbours and family,  too much fury against inlaws, too much ethnic cleansing...let's ask for more people like Dr.Phil and Robin and Oprah and Stedman - all of whom work to lighten, brighten, and uplift our world.

December 12, 2006, 12:05 am CST

12/12 Convince Me!

well as i was watching your show about models and how they are role models to women these days. well i really dont think that should be an excuse for women to go and try to lose weight. or get that look like the models. i am an over weight person. and to be honest, i think im beautiful. not because i have a husband who makes me feel beautiful, but just because i have that kind of thinking. i will not let anyone put me down. even though im big, i still dress up to style and do my make up and fix my hair. i will not let myself go. and i dont want to  be judge as a lazy overweight grl. i work, and go to school, i go out and travel. i do things like a normal person. i think its about the person. if what the media says about well if you are not skinny, you wont get a job or get anywhere in life then you're not strong. you must be strong. i feel that everyone is beautiful weather you are thin or big. who cares. if you dont want to be big, lose weight., but by that, i mean work out and eat healthy. i just dont think that we should blame fashion for all of this. but i do wish that as a fashion designer, you should think about plus size women though. we do want to be beautiful too. we do want to dress like thin women. so why not just make clothes for all women? why not try to help us too. because we are who we are.

December 12, 2006, 2:23 am CST

12/12 Convince Me!

Quote From: wavdancr

She also thought she had to be thinner and thinner ... and then she died. 

I love how one person recently said that she had a great husband, great children and a good life ... and she did NOT get any of that by losing weight!!

Parents, this is simply another topic we have to tell our children the WHOLE truth about.  We open the health books and show them all the bad effects of being too thin ... including the TRUTH that being too thin can KILL.  We can set the right example by eating and exercising the best we can.  Most of all, we remind our children that happiness IS the JOURNEY, and NEVER the destination!  If we or our children or family needs counseling, we get it.  Period.

And that anyone who tells us or our children anything different is trying to HURT us because they are SO messed up inside.  Very sad, but very true.  They want us to hurt like they do, they are trying to pull us down.  We remind our children over and over again all the different ways sad and hurting people try to make us feel as badly as they do, and we Just Say No to their insanity.

And then we do our best to live the best life we possibly can!  A life that every day, in hopefully one small way, is better than it was before.  Hard?  Oh yeah!  But it's what we have to teach and show our children, that no matter how hard it gets we will NOT give up, we will NOT let the lost souls win power over us, ever!

I was very frustrated with the views of Drew.  To say that runway models are moving hangers for the sale of the clothing says that the only women who should be buying the clothing are women who fit the "0" size profile.  If these companies really wanted to sell their clothing to the general public, then the clothing would be made to fit the average size woman.  While there may be a few women that are naturally thin, their are a larger portion that only aspire to be thin. 

I am a 5'1" woman who could not ever possibly wear a single thing featured on runways.  And most of the women I know could never wear the clothing either.  Does that make us unattractive women because we don't fit the model image?  That is what the industry would have us believe.  We are not "In" because we aren't up with the latest fashions.  It's not that we don't pay attention to the latest fashions.  They are just completely unattainable to us.  Designers don't make their money on a moving hanger.  They make their money on the sale of what's on the moving hanger.  Which in turn pushes women to want to look like the moving hanger in order to fit into the clothing.  Drew uses painters as an example.  Painters create one masterpiece.  They don't market mass production.  And I've never known a single person to starve themselves because they like a painting. 

And it doesn't stop with the designers.  It's the models themselves.  ie.  There is a girl that hangs out in my group of friends.  She is an aspiring model.  She is one of the lucky few that is naturally thin.  According to her, I am fat.  I have three children and am pregnant with my fourth.  Before becoming pregnant this time, I was 128lbs. at 5'1".  I believe that I looked fine.  But this girl didn't stop at picking on me...she also tells me that my 2 year old is fat.  If a 2 year old can be called fat by some skewed standards of what a 2 year old should look like, what kind of future does she have?  Will she be told all through girl hood that she's fat?  And they wonder where the anorexia and bulimia stems from.  I truly believe that if the fashion industry does not do something soon to alter this unattainable image of perfection, that our daughters will likely suffer, just as this generation has.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last