Message Boards

Topic : 200 Pounds or More to Lose

Number of Replies: 2493
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 01:49:00 pm
Author : dataimport
Discussions about issues, challenges and strategies for people who plan on losing 200 or more pounds.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 11, 2007, 11:30 am CDT

hi there again

I have thought about gastric bypass , watched the tv shows. seen the sucess storries but honestly i dont think its for me. I dont need a more complecated relationship with food and that seems to be what it leads to. You will never be able to eat normaly again and i cant do that. But if its something you think will work for you then go for it.

I know walking can be hard so start slow. Dont start an hour every day just walk alittle more every day than you did the day before.

the dayly recomendation is around 10 000 steps and by using the pedomoter i found out i do on avarage less than half of that, go figure im not loosing weight i just dont move enough. So now i use the thing every now and then and it actualy motivates me to step hunt. To find ways to fit in a few more steps even when i havent been walking around all day.. Today i was feeling like crap, whanted to throw up cuz od migrain and i got of the buss at Netto to do some shopping for dinner. Instead of getting on the buss again after i walked home. thats about 5-6 buss stops. It dosent take an hour and i was happy i got the steps in.

The thing is, atleast for me, that if i do the exercise im less likely to have the sweets. im like you, cakes, tarts, sweets, candy, crisps, chees doodles (yummy). I love them and with my migrains i crave them as well both before, during and after the atacc and sometimes its about the only thing i can actualy eat when im realy realy down with an attac. But if im working, if im more active im also more aware that they are bad for me and i know the work it takes to pay for them.

i have a sugestion for you, and if your up for it, a challange.

i whant you to look at your life as it is right now. look at your habbits when it comes to exercise and food and sweets. keep a journal for one week and be painfully honest in it. if you eat an entire princess cake (my favorit) then write it down. If the only walking you do during this week is back and forth to the bathroom, write that down to. try and track how many hours you sleep as well. then next sunday you can pick one thing to do better in each area, or maybe even one thing if it seems to much to do more.

if you didnt walk at all. maybe a thing to change is that you get of the bus one stop earlyer two times next week, its not overwhelming to do that is it?

This is how im looking at it. I challange myself with things. There used to be a grupe here that held regular challanges. things like for two weeks we have to drink 1 l water more. or go to bed before midnight.

It realy isent the end of the world if you mess up and dont do the work but it gives  you something to work towards. and they say good habbits takes two to three weeks to build.

Im not in the same city, but atleast the same contry.

talk soon

Linn

March 23, 2007, 8:31 am CDT

Will I ever learn?

HI everyone, I tried writing @ 4 this morning, but computer was acting up, or maybe was the person @ the computer being too tired lol, was up, aching, due to trying to be super human. I'm doing ok weight loss and walking wise, but tried to work extra shift on my feet, then put in my walking on top, needless to say it was a long night. I agree with what is being said about starting out slowly, when I started walking this time, I walked a block, and increased it from there, I'm now walking 1/2 mile 2x a day, hoping to increase it steadily. Question....I had a *friend* yesterday tell me, my weight loss was easy??!!!??, cuz I have so much to lose, and people cant tell that I've lost weight for the same reason. My reply was ***I*** can tell and ***I*** am the important one right now....was I wrong? I was sooooooo hurt and sooooooo upset over this comment. Am I being over-sensitive??? I really pounded the track after this occurred, which means I let her get to me......but used it to better myself....lol until I spent the night walking the floor cuz I was hurting. I guess what I'm asking, was I wrong to be so hurt? was I being overly sensitive?? How can I respond to such negativity? Have a super day everyone!!!

March 23, 2007, 12:04 pm CDT

To Glennda

Hi Glennda, I hope you are feeling better by now, physically. As for the comments from your "friend", I thought you might be interested in what Dr Phil said in his book. Remember these? ..........................................................Pg 92: Whatever the situation, you can choose your reaction...How you interpret the events, circumstances, and situations in your life is entirely up to you. ..................................................Pg96: You can't change other people or other conditions, you can change only your reactions to them. ........................................................Pg 98: You and only you choose how you feel. Others may provide an event or behavior for you to react to, but it is up to you to choose how you feel about them. .....................................................Pg 93: ...stop living reactively and begin to choose the right attitude and the right behavior to generate the right results. ................................................................Pg 74: Given your goals, how does your current thinking help you get there? ........................................................Pg 89: You will always be challenged by stressors in your life...but it is your interpretation of and reaction to them that create the emotional pain. ........................................................Pg 230: You must be very careful not to let others in your life deter you from your task of managing your weight. .............................................................Pg 227:...people will either contribute to or contaminate your personal weight control and management. ..................................................................Pg 239:...you must remain resolute in your determination but at the same time try humor, fun and creativity to melt the resistance of those who may not yet be cheering you on. ...........................................................Pg 245: Ultimately, only you and you alone are responsible for getting your weight under control. ........................................................You know ,Glennda, you are on a grand adventure to a healthy new you...and bottomline, who cares what this insensitive person thinks!?! ..............................................................Enjoy your journey, Loretta =^..^=

March 23, 2007, 4:27 pm CDT

oversensitive? No... you just haven't learned

how to dispute things and take the sting/ hurt out of them...

The comment wasn't true to start with... it isn't easier for a very overweight person to drop pounds... most us don't move around enough to burn very many calories...  and the amount we "need to eat"  to sustain us is actually LESS than a trim active person...      our fat that we carry around does not require any calories to sustain it... only our lean body mass.. muscles etc...  and we probably have fewer than your average lean active person of the same height.

Secondly...  if the comment were true... so what !!!  Does that mean you are guilty of some kind of sloth?     And if you are ... so what?       And you would judge yourself or let someone else judge you?

nyet nyet nyet...   how about letting yourself  AND your associate off the hook...  there are no bad guys here...      

THe best things that COULD happen to you is for you to find a program that IS very easy for you to follow and for it to work really fast and for you to get to trim and healthy in record time.... I wish that for ALL OF US!!!!!

So... consider that as a self fullflling prophecy...       let yourself have fun and do this easily and happily...

see you skinny ... soon..

-beverley-

March 26, 2007, 10:34 am CDT

challange

I just started a challange for myself today, thought that it might be something that might interest somone else.

During the period of march 28 to april 30th im chalanging myself not to have fastfood (hamburger or pizza), no chees doodles or chips, not candy and no soda. I have two exeptions to this challange. 1. im allowing myself to have something sweet at my granmothers every sunday for coffee, and 2. i can make my own pizza or hamburgers at home but have to be aware of what i put on it.

I wrote the challange out and im posting it in the frige, i also made a checkbox for each week the chalange is on so i can mark it when i had a good week.

Im fully aware this is probably going to drive me nuts since im going to de tox on so many things at the same time. fatty fast food, salty snacks and sweets and sodas. But hey, i only need to de tox once instead of 4 times right *laughs*

what do you say, anyone up for a challange?

much love from sweden

March 27, 2007, 11:23 pm CDT

This is it!

I’m grabbing this bull by the horns and riding on to victory!

I commit to new (for me) weight loss techniques:

Keeping a food journal

Paying attention to timing - larger meals earlier in the day, specific meal times, etc.

I’m even looking at the keys a little differently.

Go! Go! Go! Go Me!

March 28, 2007, 2:14 pm CDT

GO.... and DO...

YES !!!

-b-

March 29, 2007, 12:11 am CDT

Today was great

I started with a huge breakfast and forced myself to take extra trips upstairs all day.

The only healthy carbs I have in my environment so far, are salad vegetables greens and apples. So, I had a large salad and a lot of apples today. An apple at every meal and snack.

Too many apples. :D

I turned down a free jumbo bag of Cheetos and a free trip to Dunkin’ Donuts!

Yes!

March 29, 2007, 8:44 pm CDT

The Spiritual Aspect of Vibrant Health

“How does mental and spiritual health affect your physical health? Often, negative events in our lives can have disastrous consequences for our physical health. How many times has an emotional moment lead to a self-imposed exile on the couch with a pint of ice cream and a delivered pizza?

So much of how we feel is determined by how we think and what we believe. If we allow ourselves to wallow in negativity and focus on what is wrong, we can't possibly enjoy vibrant mental health and will never achieve complete body health. On the other hand, a positive attitude and true faith in your own vibrant health can make all the difference.”

Sorry, don't remember where I got this from.

April 1, 2007, 11:37 pm CDT

Going strong

An infernally frustrating co-worker broke the last straw today & though my mind repeatedly suggested consuming massive quantities of chocolate chip & oatmeal raisin cookies, I DID NOT GIVE IN! *grin*

Something I came across somewhere…

When you want to help an overweight loved one, start by sharing your concern & ask if they mind if you try to help. If they do mind, leave the door open by telling them you're there if needed.

Avoid negative confrontations. Constant reminders of weight problems from someone close have a strong impact & can lead to more poor eating patterns.

Be a role model for healthy food & activity choices. Losing weight & getting fit requires a lifestyle change. Help them choose specific, attainable goals & ask your loved one to join your own exercise program. Just go at their pace, not your own.

Also, remember there is a strong genetic component to obesity & we are not all the same.

First | Prev | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | Next | Last