Message Boards

Topic : 200 Pounds or More to Lose

Number of Replies: 2493
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 01:49:00 pm
Author : dataimport
Discussions about issues, challenges and strategies for people who plan on losing 200 or more pounds.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 24, 2005, 3:08 am CDT

Hi everyone

WOW I hope the bugs get worked out soon. I never got the invite either. Then after I found out about the board being up I tried to get on and couldn't so finally had to make new name and different e-mail my AOL instead of my Yahoo which is ok. Then I got on finally last night but could not get pic to work then when I tried to sing on today I couldn't get on again got frustrated just answered to our old yahoo board posts so hope everyone is still reading there. I thought we should maybe keep it up because we can chat there if anyone wants to and put up PIC even of grand kids or our own kids because no one sees them but us so it is safe what does everyone think?

So after posting there I tried again now at 5:30am and I got on so don't know why I couldn't earlier.   I am writing my posts in my e-mail then I can spell check and delete just fine then I just cut and paste   WOW Stacie that is so weird your pic was not there and all of a sudden it just popped on there LOL    Well another night no sleep yawn :0 It is really poring here right now so guess I'll get off line see you later hopefully if this board lets me LOL Hugs Jan

July 24, 2005, 4:50 am CDT

Thank Goodness Cherie

I was beginning to think that we would have to come get you and bring you to Oklahoma to get you back on the board!  Hopefully they just singled you out to make it difficult for.  So far I haven't had any problems but it really did help when I read the  Need Help and the Tips that you find on that page.

Answered most of the questions that people are having here.

Well glad you made it and that the sale is over and done. 

This is my sweetie! (There is suppose to be a picture of my cat in case it doesn't show up! lol)

July 24, 2005, 4:53 am CDT

Jan's Daily Motivator

Jan, I thought this was so good and was afraid someone would miss it that I moved it over. Hope you don't mind!

THE DAILY MOTIVATOR

Get started
+++++++++++++++++++

If you've fallen a little behind schedule, that's no reason
to get discouraged. On the contrary, it's a reason to get
going.

The sooner you get started, the more you'll get done. The
sooner you get to work, the more value you'll create with
your efforts.

Do you want your work to bring maximum results? Then get
moving on it right away.

It may sometimes seem that the easiest choice is to slack
off and delay your efforts until later. Yet by doing that,
you're actually making things more difficult for yourself.

To get the most done with the least amount of effort, get
started on it as soon as possible. That way, instead of
making time your enemy, you'll have time working on your
side.

This is your opportunity to fill your life with richness and
your world with value. Get up, get going, and get it done.

Ralph Marston

July 24, 2005, 5:08 am CDT

200 Pounds or More to Lose

Jan wrote this on the yahoo board but I wanted to comment on it. Cherie, Everyone loses at different rates. When I first started in 99 yes it has taken me since 1999 to get to where I'm at now because then I was not eating much more then 500 to 800 cal. a day but I could not exercise at all so that first year on a healthy diabetic diet I lost very little with the help of a therapist getting me moving again in my home since I could not go out. It was simple things like lifting one foot then the other and sitting up for longer periods of time as the exercise increased they increased my food because they wanted me eating more to help build muscle and bone that had been deteriorating, but this kept the weight loss still slow. The first year I think I only lost around 30# I was doing well until I got close to 400 and that is when the psychological stuff kicked in. Then Dr Phil's book and the boards helped me get below that but when I got below 360 the panic hit again and back I went some. I know my July amount will probably be really good because a lot of it was water loss and I'm also able to exercise more a lot more with my pool and the hot weather we have been having. But next month it probably won't be as much. But I would hate to discourage anyone or make them feel bad because they didn't lose as much and had worked hard all so. So wonder if I should even report it?   I know also that before I got going again really well and I would go to my meeting and say that I had been eating pretty healthy so didn't know why I had not lost. Didn't gain but didn't lose either. Well, for me to lose really good I need to eat right EVERY DAY and exercise at least 4 if not 5 days a week. And when I would be really honest and look back over my week I had, had a little bite of this or gone out to eat on Fri. and eaten more cal then should have, or had pizza maybe only 3 pieces and only exercised 1 or 2 days. Well, for someone else they might be able to lose with that but I couldn't. Well, this is day 24 and I have not had my favorite pizza once which I didn't think I could do not a whole month but I know I can. And I have exercised more in the past 24 days then I did in the past 6 months and I wonder why I was no longer losing? I kind of think of my body as a coal burning furnace the good food is the coal that burns the fat the more good food I eat the hotter the fire that burns the fat but if I eat even a little bad food for me it is like poring cold water on my fire and it then takes time to get the fire back up to the temperature again. So until it does even thought eating right again it slows everything down again. The exercise just intensifies the heat. I know this might sound nuts but it helps me to visualize things so I see the fat just melting off as I eat healthy and exercise I see it literally flowing down off me into the sewer LOL   If we all keep working on it we will all get there. I would not want my success or I'm sure anyone else who is losing well to discourage anyone else. Do you feel it would be better to not say how much we lost? I only wish everyone the best and want to see everyone succeed. Hugs Jan

Jan,

I am so glad you posted that. It really helps me to know that all of the emotional garbage I feel right now others have felt. That the "panic" as you so call it is really a normal reaction to losing a lot of weight. 

I personally like to read everyone's progress.  I know that when I haven't lost weight, it is because I have not adhered 100 percent to the program. That is the "real truth".  Others may have different stories but it helps me tremendously to be reminded that people who work hard and stay on program 100 percent lose weight and inches and I love it when they right how they feel! So I think it is a combination of everything that I would like to know. Did you lose pounds, inches and how great does it feel to be moving and being proud of yourself.  Thanks for sharing! Cindy

Oh by the way, I bought Joel Olsteen's book and am really getting inspired by it!

July 24, 2005, 5:23 am CDT

Trouble Reading Messages & PLayin with Pictures

I was just playing to see if I could put pics in. So here is a side by side. The first one June 1st and the second one December 27, 2005.

I was having trouble reading messages but went in to 'MY Profile" and changed it to large print. So if anyone else is. All of the words were too close together.  Anyway........I'm off to mow the lawn it is already 88 degrees here. The neighbors are just going to have to wake up! lol

July 24, 2005, 6:14 am CDT

200 Pounds or More to Lose

Hi, my name is Greg. New arrival to the Boards. Looking for others with 200+ to lose.

Greg, Welcome to the board and I wish you the best on your new journey in life to a better you. Your goals sound great. The video log will be something that will be very important to have to look back on as you move forward.

LIVESTRONG, Will

July 24, 2005, 6:17 am CDT

Just click the new messages

First of all, thanks to Stacie and Cindy and all the rest who worked at getting me the information I needed to get the invitation re-sent and to get logged on. Once I was on it was another hurdle to figure out how to find you all, but I'm here now. I'm still unclear on some things. For instance: how do we mark the last message we read so we can keep our place until we come back the next time? And there are no numbers on the messages so how do we know how many more there are to read to catch up? Are these bugs they're working on?

I'm having trouble with the profile too although they did NOT include my mailing address and some other info--I don't believe I ever gave them that information. But they do have my birthday wrong in there--again the year is right but it says January 1. There is no place in the profile edit page to edit birthdate (as I believe Deb already said), so I don't know if the moderator is telling them to work on that one too. I mean I'm old enough without having 2 and a half years added onto my age LOL.

OOPS! I started right in without the most important thing. WELCOME, GREG!! You have definitely come to the right place and while there are fewer guys here, we do welcome you and there are some. Will is probably the most "visible" as he does post occasionally, but we've also had some other guys lurking on here at various times. I sometimes think they may still be lurking here and just not posting, but they may have moved on to somewhere else too. I do hope you'll stay because the problems and challenges we have when we have 200 or more lb. to lose are unique and we really need the long-term support of others who know what it's like to face a 2-, 3- or 4-yr. weight loss journey (or longer). Some on this board have already lost 100 and 150 lb. and are still moving in the direction of a healthy weight and lifestyle. Some had fewer than 200 to lose when they came here, but stayed for the support in this group. I do hope you will too--you sound so motivated and committed and we all need a dose of that now and then.

Well, I posted my profile and am anxious now to check back and see if it shows up here. The sale went OK--nothing great, but we did unload a lot of stuff. And yes, I was zonked out this afternoon for awhile as the painter was working on the bathroom and making several trips up and down the stairs right past the chair where I'd fallen asleep. I sure hope I wasn't snoring or sleeping with my mouth open or something--I was pretty embarrassed when I woke up and realized I'd fallen asleep there when I only intended to sit down for a few minutes before I started laundry. Oh well. The sleep felt good. Now I need to clean up and get to bed. Company coming tomorrow and my DH leaves in two days for a 2-wk. trip out of state. We have a lot of moving and shuffling of furniture before he can leave so there's still no rest around here.

Have a great day everybody and I hope to see more of you here again.

Cherie

p.s. has anybody sent an e-mail to the rest of the bunch to tell them the secret of how to get on here again? I really did have quite a time and I hope a lot of the others don't have to deal with that too. If someone's already sent them the info, then I won't but if not, I'll send them the message the moderator posted for us to pass along.

Hi!  Just click the new messages and it'll take you to where you left off last from the looks of it.  I'm still working out the new stuff myself!  I'm finding the new stuff awkward!  Dee!

July 24, 2005, 6:19 am CDT

I love the kitty!

I was beginning to think that we would have to come get you and bring you to Oklahoma to get you back on the board! Hopefully they just singled you out to make it difficult for. So far I haven't had any problems but it really did help when I read the Need Help and the Tips that you find on that page.

Answered most of the questions that people are having here.

Well glad you made it and that the sale is over and done.

This is my sweetie! (There is suppose to be a picture of my cat in case it doesn't show up! lol)

The little cat in the drawer is adorable! Dee!

July 24, 2005, 6:31 am CDT

I'm glad the boards up, but...

Hey everyone!  I'm really glad the board's back up!  BUT!  This new system is frustrating!   There's no favorites so you can keep track of the last message you read.  And if you keep clicking "next" while you read the messages you get the same messages repeated later on.  It's not a reply thing popping up either from what I can see.  There been a couple of messages where the letter were so big the letters overlapped!  Sigh!  All things work out with time I've heard and hopefully that'll apply here!  I'm hoping you're all having a great weekend.  Hugs from Dee!

July 24, 2005, 9:03 am CDT

Cherie

I'm so glad you were able to pass those donuts! Congratulations! But I'm curious, did you pass them up because you didn't want the TOPS people to see you getting them? Or did it have nothing to do with them at all? So often we are co-dependent--dependent on what other people think of us, what we THINK they'll think of us, what they may say, what they do, etc. And rarely are our actions dependent strictly on US and what we choose to do as the best course for us. In either case, the result was a good one, but I do think it's important to examine not only why we eat unhealthy foods but also why we DON'T eat them at various times. If it was a reaction to those people being near the donuts, then your guard may be down some other time when they aren't around, especially if you're feeling you have a handle on it after passing the donuts by. BE PREPARED and you will be stronger and better able to pass them by EVERY time, no matter who may be there. You are doing so well and I know you're setting a great example for your son too. Hang in there--you've come a long way and we need to stay focused on the goals--both short-term and long-term.

Have a great weekend.

Cherie

Hi Cherie,

First of all, I am so glad you were able to finally make it in here.  I didn't have any problems, although I never received the email that they said they sent the first time.

As to your question about whether I passed those donuts up because my friends were there to see me, the answer is no.  I passed the donuts because of the conversation we had.  One of my friends, after many years of struggling, made it to KOPS status with TOPS and graduated in June.  She really inspired me.  I've known her for about 20 years when we both belonged to TOPS.  We were both officers and struggled with out weight.  She is the one person that has kept that chapter going all these years.  We live in a military community.  People come and go and Ginny has kept that chapter going all these years.   She said it is still a struggling to keep within 10 lbs of goal to maintain her KOPS status, but she is doing it.  I keep saying I'm going to go back, but I know their scale only goes to 350 and I know that I am back over that mark.  So I've decided to get my behind in gear and get below that mark so I can go back to TOPS and have the extra support I need in my weight loss journey.

I choose TOPS because it is more affordable for me to join.  WW is just too expensive for me right now.  I know I need that face to face accountability to get me through this journey along with the support of my many friends on this message board.  I so appreciate the help and support I have received from this group.

Hugs,

Elaine

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last