Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Wacky Resolutions

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:49:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When the New Year comes around, most people resolve to lose weight and stop smoking, but Dr. Phil’s guests have odd New Year’s resolutions, and they need help making them stick. Laura is afraid of bulging eyes and big teeth -- not on people, but on costumed characters and clowns! She won't even take her son to an amusement park because she's too scared she might see a fuzzy creature. Laura goes backstage with Dr. Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, to learn how to overcome her fear. See what happens when she's put to the test at the end of the show. Then, Cindy says computers will take over the world and suck people's brains out. She has even lost jobs because she believes the mouse could shock her to death. Despite her concerns, she still wants to become computer savvy. Will Dr. Phil's plan get Cindy to overcome her fear of technology? And, Greta, 22, is so attached to an old blanket she calls her "Tee Tee" that she fears it may come between her and her fiancé in bed. How can she learn to let go of the tattered object? Plus, Lisa lectures people everyday at work about keeping up a habit that’s good for their health, yet she is too lazy to do it herself. What's the dirty secret she wants to resolve for 2007, and why is it such a big deal? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2007, 2:30 pm CST

I Tottaly Agree!

Quote From: kbbeale

I'm 32 and I have a blanket.  Granted, mine is washable and certainly looks nothing like the gals from the show today.  LOL!

I was married at 19, divorced at 22....remarried at 25 and have been married now 7 years.  I've had my blanket with me on two honeymoons, Hawaii and Cancun....and yes, it goes everywhere where I stay overnight as well.  Oh, forgot..it's been in the labor and delivery room during the birth of my two children!   WHATS wrong with that?!  I think that the new fiance is the one with the problem!  If it bothers her, then that's fine, she should do something about it THEN.  But, if she's been pushed to do something about her blanket because HE doesnt like it - that's not right at all.    It is a very small thing. 

I am 13 years old and my mom likes to watch Dr. Phil. I've had a suffed pig scince I was one year old and I take it every where! All my friends think that it's really dumb that I still sleep with him but I really don't care. As long as she doesn't have a problem with it he shouldn't either! I think that it is kind of lame that a blanket might or is tearing their relationship apart. He should like her for who she is and her values and stuff like that and not critisize her because she sleeps with a blanket. My Uncle on my moms side slept with his blanket until her got married! (It runs in the family) I like what Dr. Phil said to her "You're not a freak because you sleep with a blanket!" EXACTLY!!! Her future husband should not let a blanket tear them apart!!!!!

January 2, 2007, 2:46 pm CST

Wacky Resolutions

This is for the 22 year old with her blanket.

I am a 43 year old married woman and proud to say I still have a blanket to hold at night.  When I met my husband in 2002 he knew all about it and thought it was such a cute thing.  Her finance should not push her to get rid of something she has done all her life.  My god, if he feels like he is competing against a blanket for her attention, then he is the one with the problem!!!! 

Oh and yes, I even brought it on our honeymoon and any other place we stay overnight.

January 2, 2007, 2:48 pm CST

01/02 Wacky Resolutions

Quote From: kphilips10

I continue to be amazed at people who are so out of touch with reality.  What kind of personalities do they have?  Are they so insecure they must resort to these kinds of attention getters?  Can't they stand on their on 2 feet without a therapist's help?  Studies show that just a 30 minute walk every day does as much or more good than therapy or pills.  This country is way overmedicated.  Throw the pills and TV away and get off the couch and outside!  I work in my yard or go for a walk every day - even in the rain!  None of us were ever promised an easy life.  Get over it and move on.  My grandmother only allowed us a 20 minute pity party.  After that, we had to get up and go on.  A philosophy that has served me well in my 57 years.
 Huh?

Who was pill-popping or attention-seeking there? All I noticed were several guests with unusual phobias and anxieties.

January 2, 2007, 2:59 pm CST

Blanket suggetion

Hi:

I've got a suggestion for the young lady with the tattered blanket.  Don't know if you sew or not ... but this wouldn't be hard to do.  Take the remnants of your blanket ... and maybe a couple of very nice, lacey hankies or something  ....  put your much loved blanket in between them and perhaps a little extra stuffing ..... make yourself a little pillow out of the hankies and your old friend.  Put it on your nightstand ... or better yet tuck it away somewhere safe ... so when you and your very tolerant husband to be decided to have children ... you'll have a keepsake for your baby that will comfort them ... and they'll have a little piece of their mommy's childhood to have and hold and perhaps pass on in the future.  Hmmmmmmmm wonder if you could stuff that into one of those Stuff-a-Bear things and actually make a teddybear for your future little one .... just an idea ...

Good luck in keeping your resolution:  Hivin

January 2, 2007, 3:08 pm CST

Blanky

Quote From: hivin62

Hi:

I've got a suggestion for the young lady with the tattered blanket.  Don't know if you sew or not ... but this wouldn't be hard to do.  Take the remnants of your blanket ... and maybe a couple of very nice, lacey hankies or something  ....  put your much loved blanket in between them and perhaps a little extra stuffing ..... make yourself a little pillow out of the hankies and your old friend.  Put it on your nightstand ... or better yet tuck it away somewhere safe ... so when you and your very tolerant husband to be decided to have children ... you'll have a keepsake for your baby that will comfort them ... and they'll have a little piece of their mommy's childhood to have and hold and perhaps pass on in the future.  Hmmmmmmmm wonder if you could stuff that into one of those Stuff-a-Bear things and actually make a teddybear for your future little one .... just an idea ...

That is what I did with my Twinkie!  It was a diaper (clean) that I had when I was a baby & crawled around carrying it in my mouth.  It eventually acquired a pillowcase and now, when it gets too frazzled, I just recover the whole thing with a soft new dish towel.  I always sleep with it and it goes on vacation with me.  I love my Twinkie and plan to have him cremated with me when the time comes.  And I am 54 years old!  My husband is very tolerant of Twinkie.  If he hadn't been when we first met, I think Twinkie would still be here & he wouldn't! ha

January 2, 2007, 3:14 pm CST

so....you've never

Quote From: kphilips10

I continue to be amazed at people who are so out of touch with reality.  What kind of personalities do they have?  Are they so insecure they must resort to these kinds of attention getters?  Can't they stand on their on 2 feet without a therapist's help?  Studies show that just a 30 minute walk every day does as much or more good than therapy or pills.  This country is way overmedicated.  Throw the pills and TV away and get off the couch and outside!  I work in my yard or go for a walk every day - even in the rain!  None of us were ever promised an easy life.  Get over it and move on.  My grandmother only allowed us a 20 minute pity party.  After that, we had to get up and go on.  A philosophy that has served me well in my 57 years.
So  you've never had some negative life changing experience?  I can tell you right now that fear and anxiety are a real thing....sometimes you need professional assistance.  I agree that life is not easy, but sometimes there are circumstances that are beyond your control.  in my life it was a car wreck that should have injured or killed my husband, that alone caused some irrational (perhaps some rational) fears and anxiety.  I don't see how that could stereotype me as an attention getter if I were ever to be on the show.  Some people are insecure, things happen in life that can cause that.  good for you that you are able to get up and go on....but sometimes people need some help.  A little compassion and empathy never hurt anyone.

January 2, 2007, 3:15 pm CST

another wacky resolution

does anyone know how i can stop cutting my hair everyday? iv'e been at it for 8 yrs. now. sometimes i can stop for 2 or 3 weeks but always go back to it. i'm tired of wearing my hair up, and would love to throw away my fake hair.

January 2, 2007, 3:17 pm CST

Great Idea!!

Quote From: hivin62

Hi:

January 2, 2007, 4:10 pm CST

Drinking too much Soda

Ok my resolution is to stop drinking so much soda.  I use to drink a great deal of Coca-cola and then started to suffer from panic attacks.  I tried to stop cold turkey and then i suffered from migraines.  I know drink decaffinated sodas (7-up, rootbeer, decaffinated coke.)  If anyone has any suggestions as to what to do.  I would appreciate them.  Thank you.

January 2, 2007, 4:11 pm CST

Dr. Phil Is Definitely Back And At His Best !

Hi Everyone,

This is my very first posting and I am so glad to be here!

Today's show on the conquering of anxiety was a true public service. When I was a little girl I was afraid of looking at my own shoulder in the dark with the blanket bunched up over it, changing it's shape. With the shadows blending with my mishapen shoulder I would go hysterical! That's a strange one but I grew out of it, thankfully!

To see that lovely mother actually become motivated and then cured in real time during the show brings hope to many who suffer, I'm sure.

On another more controversial point, I am thrilled to see Dr. Phil's return to therapy rather than some of the more tabloid-oriented shows of recent past. One more show featuring Jeremy and I would have needed major tranquillization!

Love To All & Happy New Year,

Sasha Lea

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last