Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Wacky Resolutions

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:49:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When the New Year comes around, most people resolve to lose weight and stop smoking, but Dr. Phil’s guests have odd New Year’s resolutions, and they need help making them stick. Laura is afraid of bulging eyes and big teeth -- not on people, but on costumed characters and clowns! She won't even take her son to an amusement park because she's too scared she might see a fuzzy creature. Laura goes backstage with Dr. Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, to learn how to overcome her fear. See what happens when she's put to the test at the end of the show. Then, Cindy says computers will take over the world and suck people's brains out. She has even lost jobs because she believes the mouse could shock her to death. Despite her concerns, she still wants to become computer savvy. Will Dr. Phil's plan get Cindy to overcome her fear of technology? And, Greta, 22, is so attached to an old blanket she calls her "Tee Tee" that she fears it may come between her and her fiancé in bed. How can she learn to let go of the tattered object? Plus, Lisa lectures people everyday at work about keeping up a habit that’s good for their health, yet she is too lazy to do it herself. What's the dirty secret she wants to resolve for 2007, and why is it such a big deal? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2007, 6:52 pm CST

Hypnotherapy will help with fears

Quote From: luv4red

I can relate to the lady that had the fear of fuzzy/furry creatures. I have a major fear of wigs. I can fix or handlereal hair all day long, but cannot touch wigs. If I'm around someone with one on, I'm like a radar detector, I can sense it and start breathing real fast. I can't explain why, I've always wandered as a matter of fact. I don't have a problem with dogs, I have 2 loveable bassett hounds and they don't bother me, but any fake fur or hair I have a big problem with. I've always been this way. I won't admit it to my husband, b/c I know he'll try to trick me and I don't think I can handle it. I'd like to know what Dr. Lawlis done to help her overcome her fear. I missed part of the show, but did see the end.
Hypnotherapy will help you deal with any type of anxiety or fear. When Dr. Phil uses Dr. Frank Lawless he always mentions relaxation and desensitization with fears. Find a good hypnotherapist in your area and you can get rid of your life time fears. It usually only takes between 3-12 sessions.

Paula

January 2, 2007, 7:05 pm CST

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I HAVE A BLANKIE TOO!!

I am also 22 and I HAVE A BLANKIE NAMED SNAPPER that looks JUST like the one the girl had on today!! I started crying when I saw this episode because I felt bad for her!!! I don't know if I could ever get rid of my blankie.....or....quit sucking my thumb either!!! I wish I could post a picture of him...yes...i said him on here!! lol The only difference between her and I is that I AM MARRIED AND HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND A BABY ON THE WAY!!! My husband is afraid I am corrupting our daughter by making her drag her blankie around too!!! lol I really feel for her and I wish I was as strong as her!!!!!!!! I love my husband to death, but I told him if he ever got rid of my blankie it would be definite grounds for DIVORCE!!! I hope he does an update on these resolutions, because I need to know if there is a light at the end of the blankie tunnel!!!! lol

January 2, 2007, 7:34 pm CST

Oh yeah....

Quote From: heathergrubbs

I am also 22 and I HAVE A BLANKIE NAMED SNAPPER that looks JUST like the one the girl had on today!! I started crying when I saw this episode because I felt bad for her!!! I don't know if I could ever get rid of my blankie.....or....quit sucking my thumb either!!! I wish I could post a picture of him...yes...i said him on here!! lol The only difference between her and I is that I AM MARRIED AND HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD AND A BABY ON THE WAY!!! My husband is afraid I am corrupting our daughter by making her drag her blankie around too!!! lol I really feel for her and I wish I was as strong as her!!!!!!!! I love my husband to death, but I told him if he ever got rid of my blankie it would be definite grounds for DIVORCE!!! I hope he does an update on these resolutions, because I need to know if there is a light at the end of the blankie tunnel!!!! lol

January 2, 2007, 7:59 pm CST

Do I have a story for you

Dr.Phil

Do I have a story for you. Like the woman on the show today I also have a blanket that I have had since I was a baby I am 30 now. I don't suck my thumb but I do sleep with my blanket I also have to take it with me if we are going to be staying somewhere besides home. My husband and I took a trip to Canada and on our way home I realized I had forgotten my pillow that had my blanket stuffed in it. My husband would not turn around to go get it so when we got home 3 hours later I called the hotel we stayed in and they had found the pillow I made them look inside to see if my blanket was still there and it was then I told them I needed them to ship it back to me I know I could go out and buy a new pillow but I had to have my blanket back. My husband was so mad at me because he knew it was going to cost alot to send it. It ended up costing me around 50 dollars to have it shipped back to me and I was without my blanket for almost a full week. My husband was so glad when it arrived because I was so mean that week I couldn't sleep. I know this sounds stupid but I wouldn't give up my blanket for anything it doesn't get in the way and I don't have to take it in public with me.

January 2, 2007, 8:02 pm CST

hilarious!

These guests' fears may have seemed frivolous, but really, it's a refreshing change from the heavyhanded drama that is the normal material for the show.

I'm sorry if I seem insensitive by laughing at these people, but it's not a condescending kind of amusement. I thought the lady hugging Snoopy at the end was especially cute.

January 3, 2007, 5:50 am CST

Life Changing Experiences

Quote From: mksbugs

So  you've never had some negative life changing experience?  I can tell you right now that fear and anxiety are a real thing....sometimes you need professional assistance.  I agree that life is not easy, but sometimes there are circumstances that are beyond your control.  in my life it was a car wreck that should have injured or killed my husband, that alone caused some irrational (perhaps some rational) fears and anxiety.  I don't see how that could stereotype me as an attention getter if I were ever to be on the show.  Some people are insecure, things happen in life that can cause that.  good for you that you are able to get up and go on....but sometimes people need some help.  A little compassion and empathy never hurt anyone.
Indeed I have had things happen that had a negative impact on my life.  That doesn't mean I gave up or threw in the towel.  Bad things happen to everyone.  But the problems start when we let those bad things rule our lives, whether long or short term.  I believe for every door that closes , at least one more opens with something better on the other side.  Death, near-death, divorce, financial problems - all these things happen to everyone.  It is how we handle these things that really matter. 

January 3, 2007, 5:59 am CST

Fun Show!

What a fun show that was!! I used to be scared of computers as well, not to the extent as your guest was though! LOL! I also used to suck my thumb for longer than your average person. Again, not as long as your other guest either. LOL again! This was about real issues but it was also light hearted as well. Dealt with as only Dr. Phil does in my opinion! You have a way of making issues seem lighter on your show and making people seem so "normal" when we can feel so abnormal so often! Well done and it was a really fun show to watch!

January 3, 2007, 10:10 am CST

One more thing about cola

Quote From: lunastar

just a couple tips for you guys trying to give up the soda - i gave it up too

keep in mind there's about 150 calories in 8 oz of the stuff - approximately one spoonful of sugar per ounce - just for fun, put 8 spoonfuls of sugar in a glass of water and taste it - woooo!*blah*!!

and if its Coca-cola, have you ever tried the rusty nail trick? you put a rusty nail in a glass of cola overnite and it will take the rust off, so think about what you're doing to your insides ?!!!

if you need more inspiration, go here http://www.alternet.org/story/45498/

Another thing about cola is the caffeine.  Caffeine dehydrates you...it is a diuretic...it sucks the fluids right out of you.  And the rebound effect when the caffeine wears off...fatigue, headache...makes you want more and more.

Caffeine also blocks the absorption of iron in your body, so, with too much caffeine, a person could become anemic.

Even diet cola still has the caffeine...so many teens rush to the caffiene drinks...for the caffeine rush, and because they stay up too late, and then they need a way to stay awake...again, when the caffeine wears off, they are more tired than they were to begin with.

Caffeine late in the day causes insomnia...adding to the daytime fatigue.

Whoah!!!  Like a hamster on a wheel...running and running, and getting nowhere.

Getting off of the soda...a great New Year's resolution.

January 3, 2007, 10:35 am CST

that sounds like a variant of trichotillomania

Quote From: dcinnj

does anyone know how i can stop cutting my hair everyday? iv'e been at it for 8 yrs. now. sometimes i can stop for 2 or 3 weeks but always go back to it. i'm tired of wearing my hair up, and would love to throw away my fake hair.
Why did you start cutting your hair?   Why do you keep doing it - I mean, what do you get out of it....do you just have a compulsion to do it?

It sounds like a variant of Trichotillomania - which is thought to be part genetics and part habit, and is not cured but managed.   Usually it is managed with strategies that fight the compulsion and replace the behaviour with a more productive compulsive behaviour that occupies the hands - like scrapbooking or knittting. :)  It might be a type of OCD that you have.   Are you trying to obtain perfect symmetry or make your hair look "right" and you are never satisfied?  Or do you just feel the need to cut something off of yourself, or have no clue at all how you feel except that you "need" to do it?

January 3, 2007, 1:57 pm CST

Scared of Costumes

My 11 year old son is terrified of those costume people too.  He has been since he was around 3 years old, and I have no idea why.  He can not tell me either.  I don't him growing up because of this fear, I have tried everything.  Even asked everywhere we go if he can go in the back and see the people but on the costumes, but they all say no, it is policy.  Can anyone help me or give me some suggestions?  Thanks.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last