Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Meet Your Match

Number of Replies: 277
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:59:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you in search of Mr. or Miss Right? Internet dating is the number one way couples meet these days, and Match.com is leading the way with 15 million members. But is there a right way to do it? Meredith says while her friends have found "the one," all she's found is the hairiest one, the baldest one and the shortest one! Her friend, Lauren, says Meredith's just too darn picky. Will Meredith throw out her list of pet peeves and give men more of a chance? Then, Lynette has never tried online dating because she's scared of who might show up. With the help of Match.com, she learns to create a winning profile, and quickly racks up a list of interested men. See the surprise Dr. Phil has for her to ensure that she will actually meet some of these guys. And, Brett says he's tired of playing games and is ready to settle down. His perfect mate, chosen by Match.com, is sitting in the audience, but will he be able to pick her out of the crowd? Share your own online dating stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2007, 10:00 am CST

single & satisfied

I never tried on line dating and I don’t really want to. I’ve been single since my husband death, it’s been a struggle financially but I will make it. I had to cut back on everything I could. Which means I can’t go out since I can afford it. If I meet someone from church that I connect to maybe I’ll try again, but for now I’ll stay single. Thank you very much.

January 2, 2007, 11:04 am CST

01/03 Meet Your Match

Quote From: gasselina

To me the idea of "meeting" someone online is ludicrous!  Sitting at home, alone, with a computer in front of you is just that.  To meet someone who shares your interests, get out there and meet actual, living, breathing human beings who share your interests, live in your community, and maybe even know some of the same people you do.  Are you a bookworm?  Most public libraries host a reading series where you can see visiting authors.  That's where one friend of mine met the love of her life.  I asked around my happily married friends, and this is where they met: a cub scout leadership course, swimming lessons, open mic night at a neighborhood pub, curling club, drywall course at a big hardware store, dog walking park, church choir, folk festival volunteering, farmer's market (she liked his buns - he's a baker).  I met the love of my life at a community potluck.  So, my advice as a hopeless romantic... Turn off the computer.  Walk out of the house.  Go do something.  Anything. 

I understand your position, but what if you are a single mom to a 19 year old and a 13 month old and work full time outside the home, your budget is stretched so tight that there isn't room to include the funds to pay a sitter to watch your baby so you can go out and do all those things in order to meet someone.  I did meet someone in real life, in fact, I knew him for 20 some years before dating him and I ended up up pregnant at the tender age of 40 and after he promised to be here for us, decided he wanted something different.  So here I am after almost being done with raising my son and looking forward to my independence and instead, I'm raising the child of one of those guys "I met in real life".  Dont' get me wrong, I LOVE my daughter.  She has been a blessing in my life in more than one way.  She is here for a reason and has a special purpose and is very much loved and wanted, but it does make it hard to meet people.

You tell me how I'm supposed to "get out" to meet anyone?  I used to be able to do those things and quite frankly, I miss it, I wish I could, but for the time being I am on match.com and actually have had good luck.  I for one was was terrified that no man would want a 40 something woman with a baby and so far, I have not encountered anyone who has been turned off by that.  I have been seeing/talking to a 43 year old man for several months now and we just had a very nice date on New Years Eve and he paid $30 for my sitter.  I have even had a date with a 52 year old that loves kids and said he realized that I was a package deal.  He was divorced after 26 years of marriage and is a straight up man and very much a gentleman.  He paid for the sitter also. 

Don't give up on the match.com.  Sure I've had a few weirdo's email or wink at me...I dont' have to answer them all...delete....delete...delete...lol.

January 2, 2007, 11:18 am CST

its just plain stupid

Quote From: gasselina

To me the idea of "meeting" someone online is ludicrous!  Sitting at home, alone, with a computer in front of you is just that.  To meet someone who shares your interests, get out there and meet actual, living, breathing human beings who share your interests, live in your community, and maybe even know some of the same people you do.  Are you a bookworm?  Most public libraries host a reading series where you can see visiting authors.  That's where one friend of mine met the love of her life.  I asked around my happily married friends, and this is where they met: a cub scout leadership course, swimming lessons, open mic night at a neighborhood pub, curling club, drywall course at a big hardware store, dog walking park, church choir, folk festival volunteering, farmer's market (she liked his buns - he's a baker).  I met the love of my life at a community potluck.  So, my advice as a hopeless romantic... Turn off the computer.  Walk out of the house.  Go do something.  Anything. 

people think there going to Mr. right on the internet,Or they think I'm going to find Miss right on the internet.And It seems that everthing a free on the internet.Well I don't like to see hearts broken,but none of this is going to happen sorry If you get sucked into thinking that there is this perfect thing on the internet its not.

If it sounds to good to be ture it more than likely is,there are several rip-off artist on this internet.

And there are accually websites where you can post and find these rip-off artist at and there is also an email you can mail called Rip-off Editor.com or something like that

January 2, 2007, 12:02 pm CST

Bullseye!!!!

I went through a really bad divorce in 2005. I felt like I didn't want to get into another relationship. A friend of mine had suggested match.com just for fun to see what would happen. There was no way that I was going to do that, but I did anyway, just for fun (so I thought). I talked with quite a few men on line and talked with alot of really nice guys. Within about 1 1/2 weeks I met a man that really caught my attention. We continued to write and eventually started to talk on the phone. After much conversation we decided to meet at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. The connection was instant. If you would know me I am very skeptical, but I have to say, I felt a definite love connection. This man is wonderful. We decided to get married and we have now been together for 1 year. We are extremely happy. I wouldn't change a thing. He is perfect for me. I finally found the man I never want to be without. Thanks to match.com and Dr. Phil for helping me find the love of my life.

January 2, 2007, 12:06 pm CST

Dating

I have tried on line dating. I joined Match.com, e-harmony.com, yahoo.com. None of them have any prospects for me. E-harmony keeps saying "sorry no matches".

Let's face it most men want a young slim women. I am middle aged with some weight and I don't think I am that attractive. I get depressed thinking if Paula Abdul can't find anyone how can I.

January 2, 2007, 12:58 pm CST

Love smart!!!!!

Hi Happy New Year Everyone,

Wondered if you guys could help me. The love smart book seems to be more directed at women than men,is that correct or is it supposed to benefit both, just wondered as most of Dr Phil's guests are women sometimes accompanied by men.

But it seems to target more of a female audience please correct me if i'm wrong.

As i think the doc is "top Banana".

Bye

Jonny

January 2, 2007, 2:51 pm CST

THE LOVE SMART BOOK

Quote From: jonnyboyuk

Hi Happy New Year Everyone,

Wondered if you guys could help me. The love smart book seems to be more directed at women than men,is that correct or is it supposed to benefit both, just wondered as most of Dr Phil's guests are women sometimes accompanied by men.

But it seems to target more of a female audience please correct me if i'm wrong.

As i think the doc is "top Banana".

Bye

Jonny

This book is geared to help women. I have read it and Doc Phil calls all men players. In the last 18 months I have meet more women players who were looking for that guy with a college degree and a big paycheck. There are just as many women out there looking for "SEX " as there are men.  I have been on Match.com for a little over a year with no luck. I send out emails, but don`t get back any responses. When I tell a women I can take care of myself and that I am looking for a companion to do things with not just SEX. They think I am not telling them the truth. The respones I get back is "yea right ". I can cook and better then any of the women I have been with in any relationship and I am not talking about TV dinners.  I do my own lanudry and don`t screw it either. I do my  own cleaning and wash my own dishes(no dishwasher in my house). The women on these dating sites are looking for a fling as much as men are. If you are a women and you have a few extra pounds lose it or be single. If you lie to men about it you are only making the problem worse. Be honest and men will do the same. There are still some good men out there, you just have to look in the right places.

January 2, 2007, 2:54 pm CST

Still waiting for mr.right

I'm 34 and never been married. I find myself on sites that have some men who are so out of it. They lie, they try to get money off you, they cheat and so much more. I have never tried match.com but i will say this all of you who have found love all the best to you. I have been a born again christian for the past 6 years and the church that i go to the guys are too young. I pray everyday that God would send me the right person. God help those who help themselves and i hope that he will direct me to the right person. I have had my share of bad relationships and i said once or should i say many times that all men are the same, but that's a lie. They are not all the same. I wanted to blame all men for what some of them did to me. I hope i fond the right one. Again good lick to all the women who's trying to find the right guy.

January 2, 2007, 3:34 pm CST

Online Dating

I've tried both Yahoo and EHarmony.  The only reason I tried EHarmony was because of their so-called Match profiles, and it was the biggest waste of money and one of the biggest mistakes. 

It boils down to one thing and one thing only, if you aren't a barbie, a size two you won't get a look, no matter how many of your compatibility points match.  Its very discouraging to be honest in creating a profile, and then to not even get a response or have matches closed without a chance because you aren't a certain body type or image type. 

For me I've given up....I'm only 40, I own my house, own a boat (I love the lake), have a great personality and make friends instantly.  I'm not picky, not high maintenance, but since I don't fit the "barbie" mold, I'm not worth looking at or getting to know.  I'll stay with my friends, and just leave it as "it wasn't in the cards" for me to find a soulmate. 

Unfortunately it is true, looks are everything and what's on the inside in reality, really doesn't matter. 

My advice to anyone thinking about joining an online dating service is DON'T!  At least in my case it was a big waste of money, I never got past the first stage with the so called matches, and you'd be better off burning your money or better yet, give to Charity.  That's what I did, I host an event for Starlite/Starbrite and its money better spent :)

January 2, 2007, 5:25 pm CST

01/03 Meet Your Match

I joined match and  only got a couple of response. I am an average 50+ year old divorced woman, own my own home, car, children grown,  go to work every day. etc. I am not needy nor am I wanting to be a care giver . To old to be some mans jewelry.  Would enjoy a dinner companion ,a theater  date, a good conversation  once in a while. Where is that man ? Not on match.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last