Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Meet Your Match

Number of Replies: 277
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:59:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you in search of Mr. or Miss Right? Internet dating is the number one way couples meet these days, and Match.com is leading the way with 15 million members. But is there a right way to do it? Meredith says while her friends have found "the one," all she's found is the hairiest one, the baldest one and the shortest one! Her friend, Lauren, says Meredith's just too darn picky. Will Meredith throw out her list of pet peeves and give men more of a chance? Then, Lynette has never tried online dating because she's scared of who might show up. With the help of Match.com, she learns to create a winning profile, and quickly racks up a list of interested men. See the surprise Dr. Phil has for her to ensure that she will actually meet some of these guys. And, Brett says he's tired of playing games and is ready to settle down. His perfect mate, chosen by Match.com, is sitting in the audience, but will he be able to pick her out of the crowd? Share your own online dating stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2007, 7:33 am CST

Happy New Year 2007

Ok Dr Phil how about giving some help to us mature ladies who have been on their own for 30 yrs or more like me?  I am 58, single, a little over weihgt but not bad looking I hope.  I really would like to find a man to share life  together.  Men my age are looking for small, trim, fit, younger etc.  I have tried broadening my search only to find men who want to be taken care of,don't need that,  angry men, men who just want a casual fling or bootie call, yes even at this age.  I have worked for many years, have my own home not paid for or a mansion but it's a home.  I would just like to meeta nice man who REALLY wants a relationship with a nice lady, me.  Match.com got a little expensive for me and the guys I met fit in the above category.  Are there any great guys out there my age or around there give or take a couple years who really want to have a relationship or am I just kidding myself? 

January 2, 2007, 8:15 am CST

NOT EVEN DR PHIL COULD HELP

...most definitely, I agree...the internet dating sites are nothing but glorified casual sex connections...I swore I would never participate in ANY of them...but then decided to try after much failed luck otherwise...Match.com was a joke with losers galore...and EHarmony was equally disappointing...it was nothing but old men who were balding and desperate...it just seems so silly that there are so many [seemingly] good, solid single people out there sitting at home frustrated and wondering how to meet other singles without it being "cheesy" or cheap...I'm not sure there is...maybe the grocery store is a better way (??)...

January 2, 2007, 8:45 am CST

match.com

I agree with the others. Match.com had nothing to offer me either. It's a total turnoff when you see a man wanting a relationship with someone 20 years younger then them and the ones that say they are looking for friendship first, but you have to have a certain look to even become a friend.  I know that most everyone wants the physical attraction before even getting to know ones inner self. I feel I have given my self plenty of time on match, I was a member on there a few times with a different attitude each time thinking it would make a difference, but got the same disappointments.

January 2, 2007, 9:09 am CST

online dating

I am a Christian woman and been on several online dating sites.......................................I have had no success either............................I am a real nice ,down to earth gal...............i find most want cybersex ,phone sex etc...............yes even on Christian sites...........................or you start to get close ,they start calling and calling then disappear for no reason.................i have had mega heartbreak online and wonder how do you meet nice deep spiriutal men.I have yet to find few who are interested in true love or match there profile................i find online more visual.............i am not a large large woman although overweight and considered pretty.....but most want petite and perfect...................i have had really really large men say they dont date fat chicks.......................sorta sad when you fit ones profile to a tee and there looking for a soul mate but she must be blonde and petite.............goes to show where ones heart really lies..............Money and looks never mattered to me I was looking for a certian type of heart person.....................where are all the real,no facades.......deep spiritual men.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

Katharine

January 2, 2007, 9:12 am CST

online dating

I am a Christian woman and been on several online dating sites.......................................I have had no success either............................I am a real nice ,down to earth gal...............i find most want cybersex ,phone sex etc...............yes even on Christian sites...........................or you start to get close ,they start calling and calling then disappear for no reason.................i have had mega heartbreak online and wonder how do you meet nice deep spiriutal men.I have yet to find few who are interested in true love or match there profile................i find online more visual.............i am not a large large woman although overweight and considered pretty.....but most want petite and perfect...................i have had really really large men say they dont date fat chicks.......................sorta sad when you fit ones profile to a tee and there looking for a soul mate but she must be blonde and petite.............goes to show where ones heart really lies..............Money and looks never mattered to me I was looking for a certian type of heart person.....................where are all the real,no facades.......deep spiritual men.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

Katharine

January 2, 2007, 9:22 am CST

Wedding Bells thanks to Match.com

I know that Match.com is the best out there.   I found my new husband on Match.com after watching Dr. Phil talk about it.  I placed an ad and he responded.  

I have tried several other online services to no avail.   I met a few men - most wanted only one thing - I refused.   

What sets Match.com apart from the rest is the ability to write more about yourself and post several pictures.  Your not set up with what they think is your ideal match.  They let you browse and choose.  So if your not happy - then it is your own fault.

Now - regarding looks - I will tell you what I told my husband - I am a plain brown wrapper but the prize inside is what really counts.  And that is how I looked at who I dated.   Physical appearance fades.  And I found pretty boy on the outside was usually a self centered jerk.   I said usually so don't get all warped fellas!

Look beyond the surface and you will find a true soul mate.  I am 57 and he is 61.  We both had been married before and it didn't work out.   We were both a bit gun shy with dating.  But Match.com let us talk to folks without being self conscious about where we were or how we looked.  When we were ready - then we met.

Thank you Dr. Phil for recommending Match.com.  I had tried others and was ready to give up.  Now - we are the happiest cuople in Tennessee and we got married on December 29th as Mr. and Mrs Santa Claus.   

Do not give up - and look deeper to find the real gold in that man your considering for a date.  

January 2, 2007, 9:45 am CST

Online dating

Since the loss of my spouse, I have gone on-line looking for that right one. Why? My late wife and I met, got together and married because of it.

Our way was both a bit old and very unique. We "connected" through an add she placed in a publication(old being this was "snail mail" days), Aug'92. We exchanged letters over a period of several weeks. And then phone calls, of which on our fourth conversation "I told her we were going to marry". That was late Dec'92. Feb'93(Valentines Day) I re-located from Washington State to Florida, where in Apr'93--we married.

We had thirteen great yrs together, but I lost her to kidney disease in Apr'06.

Guys, it can happen.

January 2, 2007, 9:49 am CST

Match Dot Who???

From a mans perspective, ( I seem a little out numbered here), I too have found the "on-line dating" thing a little disheartening.  I write clever little personal ads and find my in-box filled, only to have to filter out the psycho's and women that are looking for a little (or a lot) more than I can give, monetarily.  I'm a middle aged guy who cleans up well, minds his manners, is definitely not looking for a little fling or "tail", but I have had no success either.

Dr. Phil, I honestly think the "love for profit" game is as disappointing as the women who have posted here do.

Come on brother, give us some real help here. Remember what you said? "Get Real"

January 2, 2007, 9:56 am CST

Internet isn't worth the effort

Greetings ~

I too have tried several Internet sites.  Match.com, Yahoo, and yes even SugarDaddy.

I had many "hits" (emails) but most from women chastising me for wanting someone "young and thin" ...  even the Smokers and Wine Drinkers sent nasty notes because I stated in my profile "if you smoke or NEED a drink to relax, please do not reply".

My profile was very, very clear, straight forward.  I am looking for some young, fit and outdoorsy.  I was amazed at how many women posted photos that were NOT of themselves or they where of themselves 80 lbs thinner.  It's pretty sad and embarrassing when you meet them at a restaurant and find out they weight 180 lbs NOT 135 that they said in their emails.  I could go on and on about the Lies and stories I was told ... but I'm sure many of you have found the same thing.

Me, I'm not perfect by a long shot.  But I don't lie, cheat or play head games.  I just want to meet someone who is Happy on the inside, fit (NOT Arm Candy), easy going and can laugh out loud and Dance like no one is watching ...  Is that so much to ask for ?

I live in the Bay Area (San Francisco Bay Area) and don't have problems finding a date.  That said, the women I usually meet are either "playing the filed" or looking at 30 and seem desperate to get married yesterdday OR simly can't stop complaining about how porrly thier X treated them !

So .. if any of you knows a nice, happy, fit woman (non smoke-non partier) and prefferably without kids ...let me know ~

January 2, 2007, 9:57 am CST

you don't "meet" online

To me the idea of "meeting" someone online is ludicrous!  Sitting at home, alone, with a computer in front of you is just that.  To meet someone who shares your interests, get out there and meet actual, living, breathing human beings who share your interests, live in your community, and maybe even know some of the same people you do.  Are you a bookworm?  Most public libraries host a reading series where you can see visiting authors.  That's where one friend of mine met the love of her life.  I asked around my happily married friends, and this is where they met: a cub scout leadership course, swimming lessons, open mic night at a neighborhood pub, curling club, drywall course at a big hardware store, dog walking park, church choir, folk festival volunteering, farmer's market (she liked his buns - he's a baker).  I met the love of my life at a community potluck.  So, my advice as a hopeless romantic... Turn off the computer.  Walk out of the house.  Go do something.  Anything. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last