Message Boards

Topic : 01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 05:01:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil’s guests are going about their New Year’s resolutions the wrong way! They each resolve to change something about their partner. Luca says it’s time his wife, Karen, started losing her baby weight now that two whole months have passed since she gave birth to their son. Karen says she just had her third cesarean section and Luca should cut her some slack! Then, Elena says her husband, Wade, has been holding onto his loud, stinky beast for far too long and 2007 is the year he needs to “send it to the factory.” Wade says he’s just an “old country boy” and there’s no way he’s getting rid of his favorite sidekick. Next, Britney says her sorority sister, Sharnetta, is chronically late everywhere she goes and has even started making Britney late! What is behind her punctuality problem, and will Sharnetta be able to get to the airport in time to be on the show? Plus, tune in for a chocoholic who can’t lick her habit, and a marriage proposal ultimatum. Join the discussion, tell us what you want this year!

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2007, 1:24 pm CST

"THE BEAST IN THE DRIVEWAY"

Quote From: bang70

Well, dugh!

He said at the beginning all of the guests expected someone else make a change in their world

I've got a 1995 Pontiac Transport mini van that is in a lot worse shape than that! Can you say spoiled! My mini van is in the shop more than it is on the road. I've got 3 children one of them being a mentally handicapped 3 year old child. It's got over 137,000 miles on it and it sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it when you turn the corner. If you want to give the truck away, I'll happily take it!

January 4, 2007, 1:27 pm CST

01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

Quote From: afraid

what i would ask for in a change for the new year would be to see all of man and woman loving each other with out difference in any way for just 1=24hour period.
AMEN!

January 4, 2007, 2:05 pm CST

Regarding Luca...

Oh my God, how arrogant!! I've had two children naturally and it took six months for me to physically look and feel like my 'old self' again. It is borderline abuse for any husband to insist his wife start doing crunches two weeks after her THIRD major abdominal surgery. This doesn't even take into account the post-pregnancy hormone shift, her nutritional needs (further increased if she is nursing), and the neverending demands involved with raising three young children (which, from what it sounds like, rests mostly on her shoulders). Also a factor: Has her physician cleared her for this all-out exercise regimen? Luca seems more focused on appearances than he is on being a supportive husband and proud father. If I'm lucky enough to have a third child, I hope I look half as awesome as Karen does two months postpartum.

January 4, 2007, 2:22 pm CST

Not a Gender Issue...

I disagree on the one segment about getting rid of the truck or chair.  I don't think it's a gender difference.  I'm a female and I don't see anything wrong with the truck or the chair.  In fact, I have a car with almost 160,000 miles and TONS of dings and scratches and fading paint-no rust yet, but I want to keep it.  And my husband is always trying to tell me to get a new vehicle.  I refuse to, because like Dr. Phil said We'd have a car payment, whereas my current car is paid off.  Plus it's running fine.  I told my husband that when it breaks beyond repair, then I'll get a new car.  But repairs under $1000 are worth fixing.  So, I don't think it's a gender difference, I think it's the way you were raised.  I was raised to make things last and as long as it's functional it's fine.  My husband and his family annoy me because they're so wasteful....Buying new things when their old ones were fine...Vehicles, Tractors, Home Decor, Clothes, etc.  My motto is:  If it's functional, It's Fine."  Why replace something that is still working great?  So wasteful! 

January 4, 2007, 2:27 pm CST

01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

Quote From: marco1602

Dear Ladies please take this to your heart. You don't have to give in to us to keep us the good ones will wait until we are married to go to bed with you and when we are not geting what we want and you know what that is . We will more ready for a serious relationship. I tell you if he doesn't want to wait til marriage he is not good enough for you. You are selling yourselves short and winding up in divorce court all because your picking the wrong guy. Having children before marriage and dead beat dads go hand in hand. Yes their maybe a few good men out there doing the right thing but for everyone thats good their are 1,000"s who are bad. Make em wait for sex and you can get rid of the bad ones.
In a way I agree with you.  I moved in with my boy friend about a year after we started dating for reasons other than sex.  However we were sharing a bed and having sex.  I really wanted to get married as we both have children from our previous marriages and felt that we were setting a bad example for them.  He had told me that he would rather us get married than for me to move out but I didn't want him to marry me so I would stay.  Instead I told him that I didn't want us to have sex anymore until we got married and he was less than thrilled but to my surprise agreed.  This was not easy for me either.  A month later he decided that we should get married, and we did.  It was a simple ceremony but solved my moral issue.  Then 2 months after that we had a big ceremony and reception so our friends and family could participate.  We were honest with everyone and they knew we were already married but we made the event fun and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.  I'm glad that he loved me enough to be willing to wait , even after we had already crossed that line before, and thankfully I didn't have to wait very long.

January 4, 2007, 2:27 pm CST

HI THERE I WAS READING YOUR STORY AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY A FEW WORDS

HI I JUST A FEW THINGS TO SAY SO PLEASE READ THIS FIRST IS THAT IF YOU ARE OK WITH THE WAY YOU LOOK NEVER MIND HIM AND IF HE REALLY LOVES YOU THEN HE WOULDN'T MIND IF YOU TOOK A BIT LONGER BUT DON'T GO FOR HIM JUST TO MAKE HIM HAPPY I MEAN DON'T GET ME WRONG ITS OK TO BE IN SHAPE AND GO TO THE GYM BUT DO IT FOR YOURSELF THATS WHAT REALLY MATTERS HERE IS WHAT WOULD DO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO TO THE GYM TELL HIM TO STAY HOME NOT TO GO PUT THE KIDS IN A DAY CARE ALL DAY AND GO TELL THAT YOU WILL GO TO THE GYM AND DO WHAT HE LIKE IF HE CAN STAY HOME WITH THE KIDS EVERY TIME YOU GO AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING YOU DO HE HAS TO AND SEE IF HE THINKS WAIT TING A BIT DOES NOT MATTER BUT DON'T DO THIS JUST FOR HIM ITS NOT FAIR TO YOU BUT IS NOT ALL ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK ITS WHO YOU ARE IF YOU FEEL GREAT THEN BE GREAT

TRACEY.A.

January 4, 2007, 2:29 pm CST

What I Want...

I am shocked that this husband has the gall to treat the mother of his children with such blatant disrespect.  How mean to leave little notes with "fat" stick figures of your wife.  I wonder if this husband has bothered to spend an equal amount of time writing a note that said, "Your a fantastic Mom and our children are so lucky to have you and so am I."    I am equally surprised that Dr. Phil touted his weight loss book and told this woman it would only take 30 days to lick the problem, that is when she is ready.      "Dr. Phil - I believe you should have had that awesome Mom twirl a circle in front of her husband and comment on how awesome she looked and then tell the husband to be read your  relationship rescue book and work on his own problems. "

January 4, 2007, 2:48 pm CST

What a selfish husband!

Quote From: court802

Oh my God, how arrogant!! I've had two children naturally and it took six months for me to physically look and feel like my 'old self' again. It is borderline abuse for any husband to insist his wife start doing crunches two weeks after her THIRD major abdominal surgery. This doesn't even take into account the post-pregnancy hormone shift, her nutritional needs (further increased if she is nursing), and the neverending demands involved with raising three young children (which, from what it sounds like, rests mostly on her shoulders). Also a factor: Has her physician cleared her for this all-out exercise regimen? Luca seems more focused on appearances than he is on being a supportive husband and proud father. If I'm lucky enough to have a third child, I hope I look half as awesome as Karen does two months postpartum.
 I agree,It is really hard to lose baby weight after you have a  c-section. I think she looked wonderful to have just had a baby.Her husband should be ashamed of his treatment toward his wife.He needs to open his eyes to the real world!

January 4, 2007, 3:04 pm CST

Now or Never/What I Want This Year

Watch out!!!!
Our sons future M-I-L and bride planned a wonderful party/wedding. Our son was not strong enough to say "NOT YET!!!" He let the plans move on, even though he wanted to wait 2 years.  Their marriage lasted 8 months but the problems actually started with first 6 months. She didn't even run to the honeymoon - they stayed around 2 days after the wedding to write thankyou's and get a car with air conditioning.
They had a wonderful expense "wedding party", everyone had a great time, it was so well arranged and planned out. Too bad they didn't take time to plan the marriage....

Sherri - if you are already giving him everything, sex, meals, household manager, financial cost sharing, your dreams, your future - duhhhhh - quit-  if all if he loves you, he may still be there in 6 months. When you are so busy planning and pretending to be married you don't even know each other. Sex gets in the way of knowing the person, it changes the focus of the unmarried relationship.

If you think saying "NO' is hard, wait until you say "YES".

Blessing to both of you - there is a life without each other.... keep looking....

January 4, 2007, 3:05 pm CST

wife should be happy with old truck

Some people would be happy to even own any car or truck. There are a lot of people out there who can't even get to the store to buy groceries or to the drug store without asking someone to give them a ride.  So  count your blessing that you have a car let alone his and her cars, which we all noticed you have. Close your eyes and don't  look at it, or is what the neighbors think  more important than your husband's happiness.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last