Message Boards

Topic : 01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

Number of Replies: 158
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 28, 2006, 05:01:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil’s guests are going about their New Year’s resolutions the wrong way! They each resolve to change something about their partner. Luca says it’s time his wife, Karen, started losing her baby weight now that two whole months have passed since she gave birth to their son. Karen says she just had her third cesarean section and Luca should cut her some slack! Then, Elena says her husband, Wade, has been holding onto his loud, stinky beast for far too long and 2007 is the year he needs to “send it to the factory.” Wade says he’s just an “old country boy” and there’s no way he’s getting rid of his favorite sidekick. Next, Britney says her sorority sister, Sharnetta, is chronically late everywhere she goes and has even started making Britney late! What is behind her punctuality problem, and will Sharnetta be able to get to the airport in time to be on the show? Plus, tune in for a chocoholic who can’t lick her habit, and a marriage proposal ultimatum. Join the discussion, tell us what you want this year!

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2007, 3:11 pm CST

This Hubby Is Golden!

Guys like him make me realize how incredibly lucky I am to have the good, strong, loving, kind and accepting husband. He didn't marry me because I was skinny - he married me because he really does love me. What on earth would that hubby do if his wife became ill and couldn't lose any wait - or worse!!!! GAINED???? I'd be really worried about that kind of thing if my husband were as unreasonable about my appearance as this guy is about his wife's appearance.

That poor woman.

January 4, 2007, 3:15 pm CST

Old Stinky Truck

Shame on the wife and 2 children who are grousing about  Wade's truck.    If they live in Beverly Hills, I can understand why they wouldn't want the truck parked in the driveway,  but come on folks!    

I am a quite mature lady but I can remember as a teenager in 1953, my father had a 1939 Hudson.  My brother and I would hide just as these kids do.   But, now that I am old(er) I would pay a pretty penny for that old Hudson.   My husband and I have several old cars and when we drive them, we get lots of attention from admirers.    So, get over it, Mom and kids, and if you can help him clean it up and make some repairs, you will all be a happier family.   Let him have his toys -- you will understand some day.   

January 4, 2007, 3:16 pm CST

Shame on Luca

Quote From: gwarrior6

Luca should understand that the average woman needs a YEAR, not two months to shed baby weight.  Breast feeding helps, but even then, if you put on 30+ pounds, youre going to need time to get it off, or you'll put it back on and more.  C-sections cut thru abdominal muscles, so, i'm sure she's sore- makes crunches hard.  If she doesn't have the $ to get a "mommy make over"(breast lift after breast feeding combined with tummy tuck), her body just isn't going to look the same before she had 3 kids.  The more he pushes, the more she's going to resent him...the slower the weight comes off.  So he has more to gain by keeping his mouth shut.
My doctor informed me after my first child it takes 40 weeks to make a baby and 40 weeks to recover from making that baby.  If this woman had a c-section add another 8 weeks to that according to my doctor.   I am glad this guy has time to work out and work but what does he think his wife does all day?  And even night if she is breast feeding and getting up with the baby.   If he really wanted to help her he would fix dinner for the kids, wash the clothes, clean the house and let her go to the gym without the kids.  Right now she isn't even thinking straight let alone thinking of working out.  My kids are finally age 7 & 5 and this is the first year where I got my life back and I go to the gym 3 times a week and yes I take the 5 year old.   It is time Karen stands up for herself.   I am sure if this guy had the kids they would have had more than one and he wouldn't be up and perfect within 8 weeks.    Goodness wake up!

January 4, 2007, 3:18 pm CST

Sharnetta and Britney Need More Verbs

Dr. Phil, I believe that Sharnetta's arrogance is the least of the problems.  There needs to be discussion about her lack of organization.  In the clip, she stated that she "has to re-check EVERY room in the house" before she leaves.  The packing of lunch and school items is NOT a morning event.  As a mother of two teens, I've had to re-learn adjusting my organization skills.  It has paid off tremendously as my girls are now able to get up and prepare for school on their own. 

Sharnetta needed to hear from you that these activities are done at night and set in a place where they are easily accessed.  If she needs to make a list and pin it to the refrigerator door, do it.  As for Britney, it would've been nice for you to share with her that her concept of timeliness is not the only thing comprimised when she attempts to support her soror.  I can appreciate her hating being late.  I am military (22 years) and don't like late either.  My suggestion is to let Britney know her soror's inconsiderate behavior may mean that Sharnetta will have to determine how she will get to school on her own.  I believe after a few times of being left to her own devises to get to school, Sharnetta will realize the value of (as you said) being a friend (doing what you say).  If she got lost getting to the airport for her trip to see you, she apparently has her own vehicle.  The sorority chapter needs to plan as usual and work around her.  It can be very humbling to be excluded because of her personal lack of consideration of others' schedules.

In the Air Force, "airmen" like her would be given more responsibility and expected to step up to the plate.  If other's have to rely on her to be timely and she fails them, the team suffers.  Those up the chain of command note the reasons given...excuses are not acceptable.  You were correct in saying there need to be enough negative consequences for her actions to make her alter her ways. 

Britney,  be her friend, but allow her to fall. We in the real world call it "tough love".  An employer will not listen to her excuses.  Unemployment will not seem so appealing if she doesn't make changes soon.  Best wishes to you both ladies.  (From a fellow Greek).

January 4, 2007, 3:31 pm CST

The guests wanted too much or not enough

Cute show.

The guy deserves to have his truck. It's paid for, he loves it, it's his and nobody else is forced to ride in it. Leave the guy and his truck alone!

As for being tardy, Dr. Phil is 100% correct...people who care little about the feelings of others are the ones who are late. If the woman actually cared about others, she wouldn't be late (except for an occassional REAL accident).

For the young woman who is giving her boyfriend EVERYTHING without the benefit of marriage, she is acting the fool. And she's not doing what Christ requires of her either. Hopefully she will wake up, become a challenge and eventually get what she wants...a man who loves her, wants her for life and is willing to commit.

New Year's Resolutions are for each individual to make (or not to make). Mine is to continue eating healthy and continue to have more patience w/ our two wonderful children.

January 4, 2007, 3:33 pm CST

Amen, Sister

Quote From: stdlbb13

I disagree on the one segment about getting rid of the truck or chair.  I don't think it's a gender difference.  I'm a female and I don't see anything wrong with the truck or the chair.  In fact, I have a car with almost 160,000 miles and TONS of dings and scratches and fading paint-no rust yet, but I want to keep it.  And my husband is always trying to tell me to get a new vehicle.  I refuse to, because like Dr. Phil said We'd have a car payment, whereas my current car is paid off.  Plus it's running fine.  I told my husband that when it breaks beyond repair, then I'll get a new car.  But repairs under $1000 are worth fixing.  So, I don't think it's a gender difference, I think it's the way you were raised.  I was raised to make things last and as long as it's functional it's fine.  My husband and his family annoy me because they're so wasteful....Buying new things when their old ones were fine...Vehicles, Tractors, Home Decor, Clothes, etc.  My motto is:  If it's functional, It's Fine."  Why replace something that is still working great?  So wasteful! 

AMEN...

It's paid for, it drives and the guy loves it. He worked hard years ago to buy it. The other family members can ride in the car if it embarrasses their silly selves!

January 4, 2007, 3:48 pm CST

Luca needs to get some brains with all that brawn!

His wife is beautiful and in my opinion, thin. He is complaining that after two months she is still not fitting into size two jeans? Come on! It takes a little less than a year to make a baby, she should have at least that much time to lose it.

January 4, 2007, 3:49 pm CST

get a life Luca

Dr Phil,

I watched your show today and was discusted with Luca and his pompous cocky attitude. His wife looks great after having three kids. And by c-section I might add!! Luca needs to be slapped upside the head and put in his place.

Try helping her out .........

Id like to see him pop out three kids and look as good as her!!!

Wendy  TX

Love you Dr Phil!!!!

January 4, 2007, 3:56 pm CST

01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

To the first guests, how many women out there woul LOVE to look that good two months post partum, not to mention after a C- section, with two other young children at home, from what I gathered all three were born c- section, sorry to offend, but he's like many of the fitness buffs I know, if you're not at the gym all the time, then you must be lazy.  He sounds like the man that goes to the bar after work everyday, and NOT being home where he belongs helping out but I guess its the gym, so its acceptable.

The second guest, well I think after missing out on things, and maybe having to WALK to classes a few times, she might see the light.  I am OBSESSIVE about being on time for EVERYTHING, if not early.  I don't wait around for people if I know they're just running around doing things that should've been done the night before, I mean I do take into account things like traffic, and sometimes things do get out of our control, but in this age of cell phones there's really no excuse.

The old truck, c'mon, Men need their toys just as we need ours.  My husband's truck isn't a prize, and I don't like driving it, but I have a car of my own so I drive that, problem solved.  To his wife and kids, if that's the ONLY thing you have to complain about, count your blessings and get over it.

I did get a kick out of the Choclaholic, she seemed like a sweet person (no pun intended), and hey she can come live next to me.

To the last guests, he's making excuses, if you want something he dosen't, then it will never work out, if its really love, it will wait, and if not, well two years is a lot shorter than a lifetime of resentment and misery.

January 4, 2007, 4:10 pm CST

01/04 "What I Want This Year!"

Quote From: djsslayden

My doctor informed me after my first child it takes 40 weeks to make a baby and 40 weeks to recover from making that baby.  If this woman had a c-section add another 8 weeks to that according to my doctor.   I am glad this guy has time to work out and work but what does he think his wife does all day?  And even night if she is breast feeding and getting up with the baby.   If he really wanted to help her he would fix dinner for the kids, wash the clothes, clean the house and let her go to the gym without the kids.  Right now she isn't even thinking straight let alone thinking of working out.  My kids are finally age 7 & 5 and this is the first year where I got my life back and I go to the gym 3 times a week and yes I take the 5 year old.   It is time Karen stands up for herself.   I am sure if this guy had the kids they would have had more than one and he wouldn't be up and perfect within 8 weeks.    Goodness wake up!
you know after my ex wife gave birth to our son, i really didn't care if she ever went back to the size she was before getting pregnant, i was sooo happy to get to be a dad,all i wanted was for her to be happy, i loved her just the way she was, after all she loved me enough to  go through all the misery and pain ob carrying and giving birth to a child just for me.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last