Message Boards

Topic : Over 50 WLC Community

Number of Replies: 4598
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:06:59 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your story while giving and receiving support from others who are over 50.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2008, 4:04 am CDT

Hi Everyone

Hi Esmay, Alice, Andiepie. I got my car back and only $217.47. t could have been worse. I went to the Y yesterday with the person I was suppose to on Monday. Did water arobic. I' sore,  but not as much today as yesterday.  Water arobics is again tomorrow, Friday. I wanted to do chair exercises today form 11:00a.m. to noon, but have to be at the RA Dr. today at 11:30 a.m. Oh well, Ther is always next week.  I 've lost 5 lbs. so that is good. At least according to my scales.  I still feel bigger than I use to in my stomach area. You all inspire me. This board and it's  'sister board' really help.

September 18, 2008, 4:17 am CDT

welcome baack, Katy

Quote From: janice255

Hi Esmay, Alice, Andiepie. I got my car back and only $217.47. t could have been worse. I went to the Y yesterday with the person I was suppose to on Monday. Did water arobic. I' sore,  but not as much today as yesterday.  Water arobics is again tomorrow, Friday. I wanted to do chair exercises today form 11:00a.m. to noon, but have to be at the RA Dr. today at 11:30 a.m. Oh well, Ther is always next week.  I 've lost 5 lbs. so that is good. At least according to my scales.  I still feel bigger than I use to in my stomach area. You all inspire me. This board and it's  'sister board' really help.
 Hi Katy- I'm Janice. You must be one of the origonals. I have been here since sometime in ' 06'. , think. Boy, time has a way of slipping away from you. I think a good support group really helps. I have been taking Prednisone since about ' o1 ' . It does make you gain weight and makes your sugar go up, plus, at least for me, it make makes me feel   hungry. It's not my only reason for being overweight.  I like too many fattening foods. Been exercising more dispiste Rhuematoid Arthritis (RA) and Chronic Obstrutive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). That is not only good for me to keep movinng but helps me burn calories. Take Care, Jance

September 18, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

Hi Janice, Esmay...and the Huntsville girl

Quote From: janice255

Hi Katy- I'm Janice. You must be one of the origonals. I have been here since sometime in ' 06'. , think. Boy, time has a way of slipping away from you. I think a good support group really helps. I have been taking Prednisone since about ' o1 ' . It does make you gain weight and makes your sugar go up, plus, at least for me, it make makes me feel   hungry. It's not my only reason for being overweight.  I like too many fattening foods. Been exercising more dispiste Rhuematoid Arthritis (RA) and Chronic Obstrutive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). That is not only good for me to keep movinng but helps me burn calories. Take Care, Jance

Thanks for responding Janice.....I was one of the originals....didnt have E-mail for awhile and got away from any program too....for years the doctors kept saying ...you only have fibro (ONLY) as if thats not enough.....but I was diagnosed a few years ago with PMR.....its an arthritic disorder....thats why I took the prednisone for so long....I have to keep my sed rate checked . ...like I am sure you do too.

It is hard to exercise with all of our problems......I do like the water exercises..I have to see if there is a pool here somewhere...right now I go to Curves and do what i can.....I think sweets have always been my downfall......but I am substituting other treats that are limited in calories....

NOW TO THE HUNTSVILLE GIRL;   HEY, I THOUGHT SUDBURY WAS GODS COUNTRY DumbLIVED THERE FOR MANY YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO SOUTH EASTERN ONTARIO.....NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU.....

WE CAN DO THIS .......LETS MAKE THE NEXT 12 MONTHS.....SUCCESSFUL Yes!

HUGS

KATY 

September 19, 2008, 1:11 am CDT

fibre

Two  circuits of curves today.     A start to my spring cleaning by  starting to was the bathroom (shower and handbasin area )  walls.   

I also completed  a series of  questions on fibre.   

"Fibre and ageing
Fibre is even more important for older people. The digestive system slows down with age, so a high fibre diet becomes even more important."

"A sudden increase in fibre can have explosive effects
It should be noted that a sudden switch from a low fibre diet to a high fibre diet can create some abdominal pain and increased flatulence"

I also  learnt  how important  fibre is  to my body.    So today  i have been  careful to eat 30g fibre  both solable and unsolable.    
I am choosing to be  healthy today.

September 19, 2008, 5:36 am CDT

Hi Everyone

Hi - Esmay, Katy, Alice,Andiepie and anyone else.  I went to the RA Dr. Yesterday and had blood work done Tues. and he said that according to blood work  I have a lot of inflamation in my body. My RA isn't bothering me too much so he said there has to be an infection somewhere. He listened to my lungs and said I needed to see my Pulmonary  Dr. He called and made an appointment for yesterday afternoon.  Dr.'s can get you into see another Dr. faster.

At his office I weighted 143 and at the other Dr. in the afternoon I weighted 145. My scale showed 149. I like their scales better. My scales are so old I think I could sell them at an antique show!  LOL.  Anyway, my BP went from 91/70 to 124/72 in three hours. I must have been very upset. A chest X-Ray was done and the nurse Practioner said my luings look better now than last year, but to bring down the inflamation she put me on Predisone 4 a day for 3 days, then 3 a day for 3 days and then 2 a day for 3 days and then back to 1 a day I normally take. Also an antibiotic Leviquen for 5 days. It is a very strong antibiaotic. So I'll be putting cinnamon on top of my coffee grounds before I brew my coffee to bring down my blood sugar which shoots sky high when they up my prednisone.  Yes Prednisone make you gain weight and makes you have an increase in appitite and makes your sugar go up.

I'd recently read that as we age we need more fiber. I'd like to learn more about what foods are highest in fiber b/c I've been having a lot of trouble with bowel movements.

off to the Y I go. If the water is too cold like it was Wed. then I'll get out. I don't want pneumonia  again. Have a great day. The inflamation is why I been feeling so fat and bloated is what I'm trying to say.

September 19, 2008, 4:42 pm CDT

Hi girls

I have found out dieting, that it is not easy to keep regular....yes fibre is very important, but I was also told that 2 tsp. of olive oil per day will help and I believe that it does.......use it with salads or cooking eggs, etc.  Esmay, I do eat my cereal every morning to help with the fibre....also went to curves today and did 2 rounds.....I might even be starting to like it.

I have never heard of the cinnamon in the coffee thing...thanks for the tip Janice. Prednisone is a difficult drug .....but i know that it is also necessary for immflamation......I found my mood changed a lot on it......how about you....Janice

I have had a good day......diet wise....I know dont call it a diet....but really thats what it is.

Bought some skinny cow today.....sundaes.....they help when I need something sweet.

I weigh on Mondays......so hope I have lost.......even 1 pound is worth celebrating.

Take care .....everyone....have a good evening..... Leaf 3maple leaves are starting to turn colors 

Hugs

Katy Sun 3 

September 21, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

Hi Everyone

Hi, will you belive it or not my sugar has only been 117 yesterday and 97 today while on 4 Predisone. That was before drinking my coffee with cinnamon!!  The Pulmonary Nurse did tell me that my chest x-rys look better this year than year. I had pneumonia twice last year.,but then why does my lungs hurt in  my back on the left and right sides? Hopefully we are catching this 'bug' b/4 it becomes pneumonia.  Going to rest more this next week and skip the Y.   I did go do water arobics Friday.  Drinking water. I seems to keep me from getting mouth sores and chapped lips so much. So far my mood is god. Maybe happier. That would be good!!! LOL   Janice

September 21, 2008, 4:48 pm CDT

Good Evening Everyone

Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and will have a good week to follow.

Esmay sounds like you are continuing to do what it takes to get those pounds off for good.  You keep doing what you have been doing and you will see a loss soon.

Janice so glad that you have gotten your car back and it was so inexpensive to fix.  Sounds like your body is requesting some rest time and it is good that you are listening to it.  Too bad that you have to send all of the albumin's.  Why do you have to send them?  I think if I was you I would just wait as she probably will not want to look at them anyway as I am sure she has many pictures already in Texas .  Sounds like your mother put you thru a lot as a child.  Have you been able to work past those hurts if not try to see a counselor to help you work thru those or you will get sick from all of the mental stress. 

Kati so good to have you back with us.  I can remember you but due to my forgetfulness that is about all I can remember about you.  Welcome to this group again.  We are a smaller group now but still very supportive.  Tell us more about yourself again.

Andie Pie how are you doing.  Kati, you can get a lot of motivation from Andie Pie as she has met her goal and has stayed there for over a year.  She can give you much of the how to do it and keep it off.

I had lost and was nearing my goal then regained some of the weight and have been very slow to relose it again so I continue to struggle on.

I swam today  for my 60 laps so am tired again tonight.  Guess I had better go and get my lunch made for work tomorrow.  Want to eat healthy.  Hope you all have a good week.  Remember to keep drinking the water.    Alice

September 22, 2008, 1:46 pm CDT

/I'm in Washington state/

I've been in Washington state for my granddaughter's baptism.  Willl be flying home tonight, and I'll weigh in tomorrow.  I've been trying to listen to my body, so I can stop eating when I'm full.  I guess I'll see how well I did when I get on the scale tomorrow.

It's so nice to see so many posts on the 50's board. 

:) Andiepie17

September 22, 2008, 6:56 pm CDT

Hi gals

I had a good weekend...quiet.....I stayed the same this week...but lost 4 inches at curves with my weigh in there.....so thats not too bad.....Andie Pie....I can use all the motivation I can get......what do you think is one of the keys to losing this weight from your personal experience....

Esmay I did three rounds at curves today....since I am large I figure I should do a little more since I cant put as much effort into it......we'll see if I can keep that up......

HUGS

KATY

First | Prev | 451 | 452 | 453 | 454 | 455 | 456 | 457 | 458 | 459 | Next | Last