Message Boards

Topic : Over 50 WLC Community

Number of Replies: 4598
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:06:59 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your story while giving and receiving support from others who are over 50.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2008, 7:02 pm CDT

ALICE

Quote From: mayzak

Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and will have a good week to follow.

Esmay sounds like you are continuing to do what it takes to get those pounds off for good.  You keep doing what you have been doing and you will see a loss soon.

Janice so glad that you have gotten your car back and it was so inexpensive to fix.  Sounds like your body is requesting some rest time and it is good that you are listening to it.  Too bad that you have to send all of the albumin's.  Why do you have to send them?  I think if I was you I would just wait as she probably will not want to look at them anyway as I am sure she has many pictures already in Texas .  Sounds like your mother put you thru a lot as a child.  Have you been able to work past those hurts if not try to see a counselor to help you work thru those or you will get sick from all of the mental stress. 

Kati so good to have you back with us.  I can remember you but due to my forgetfulness that is about all I can remember about you.  Welcome to this group again.  We are a smaller group now but still very supportive.  Tell us more about yourself again.

Andie Pie how are you doing.  Kati, you can get a lot of motivation from Andie Pie as she has met her goal and has stayed there for over a year.  She can give you much of the how to do it and keep it off.

I had lost and was nearing my goal then regained some of the weight and have been very slow to relose it again so I continue to struggle on.

I swam today  for my 60 laps so am tired again tonight.  Guess I had better go and get my lunch made for work tomorrow.  Want to eat healthy.  Hope you all have a good week.  Remember to keep drinking the water.    Alice

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME....i LIVE IN ONTARIO. CANADA.......I AM OVER 100 POUNDS OVERWEIGHT...HAVE LOST 30 SO FAR AND WANT TO KEEP GOING TO MAKE A GOOD YEAR...ONCE AND FOR ALL.....I LOVE TO SWIM....GOING TO LOOK INTO SOME OF THE POOLS...THEIR SCHEDULES ARE STARTING UP FOR THE WINTER MONTHS....WE HAVE AN AIR BASE VERY CLOSE AND THEY HAVE A LARGE POOL...MY DAUGHTER AND i WOULD LIKE TO GO......I HAVE A DAUGHTER AT HOME....SHE BATTLED CANCER FOR 3 YEARS AND HER LAST CHECK-UP WAS GOOD...CLEAR....WHAT A RELIEF......SHE IS LEARNING CHALLENGED...BUT SUCH A SWEETY;....SHE SHOWED A LOT OF COURAGE.....HELPED ME THROUGH IT....

TAKE CARE

WE CAN DO THIS..........THIS YEAR.......

HUGS

KATY

September 23, 2008, 2:05 pm CDT

/Katy/

I want you to know I'm proud of you for losing 30 pounds!   What did you do to lose the 30?

The way I've kept my weight off is to continue to be vigilant about what I eat and the amount I eat, and I exercise every day.  Those two things helped me lose the weight, and they also help me to keep it off.

I also have some other things I do to reward myself, and I will share them with you if you'd like.  First, I want to hear about how you lost those 30 pounds.

:) Andiepie17

September 23, 2008, 8:28 pm CDT

Andiepie

Quote From: andiepie15

I want you to know I'm proud of you for losing 30 pounds!   What did you do to lose the 30?

The way I've kept my weight off is to continue to be vigilant about what I eat and the amount I eat, and I exercise every day.  Those two things helped me lose the weight, and they also help me to keep it off.

I also have some other things I do to reward myself, and I will share them with you if you'd like.  First, I want to hear about how you lost those 30 pounds.

I lost those 30 pounds with sweat and tears....no really....I think I am a professional dieter....I know what to do ....its just doing it......I incorporate ideas from Dr. Phil....also attend WW meetings and go to Curves 3X a week.....what I have to do now is keep this up.....mental rehearsing helps me....picturing myself getting into a size 18....thats my goal for now......having to lose a lot i really have to keep focused...I am reading Dr. Phils book again. to help me do that...and the WW meetings are good...there is a girl in my class who has lost 100 pounds and she has a lot of good tips too.....OK...now I'm anxious to learn about those rewards......I have a cup of green tea with honey in the evening and a snack called Cravings (of all things)...it tastes like cheese cake with a fruit topping....so thats my treat right now.....I know ....I know I should use non-food rewards ....and that will come.

Hugs

Katy  encouragment Custom Smiley IS WHAT WE NEED......LETS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

September 24, 2008, 10:35 am CDT

/To Katy--professional dieter/

Hey, Katy, I think most of us have been like that...knowing what to do and then trying to figure out how to motivate ourselves in to doing it.

For me, I have a lot of food at home that I can safely eat when I've got a craving--sugar free popsicles, sugar free chocolate, etc.  So I never have to feel hungry.

My rewards are star stickers on my calendar; I put one on for each day I've exercised.  Also, if I've lost weight, I'll usually buy myself a little present--like at a dollar store.

I'm so proud of you for the things you're doing to help yourself out--reading the book, WW, and Curves 3 times a week.  These things will not only help you lose weight but also help you keep it off.

September 25, 2008, 4:36 am CDT

weight loss/ rewards

Quote From: andiepie15

Hey, Katy, I think most of us have been like that...knowing what to do and then trying to figure out how to motivate ourselves in to doing it.

For me, I have a lot of food at home that I can safely eat when I've got a craving--sugar free popsicles, sugar free chocolate, etc.  So I never have to feel hungry.

My rewards are star stickers on my calendar; I put one on for each day I've exercised.  Also, if I've lost weight, I'll usually buy myself a little present--like at a dollar store.

I'm so proud of you for the things you're doing to help yourself out--reading the book, WW, and Curves 3 times a week.  These things will not only help you lose weight but also help you keep it off.

Hi- Janice checking in. LOL. I must admit I just read your posts and I've been doing some lurking ; as some call it. Just not up to posting. I'm weak and not coughing. A friend gave me a  ' w ake up call' yesterday. She said  I better try harder to cough up this stuff, b/c if I get too still and don't or can't cough up this mucus then that is when it goes into pneumonia. Will a lot of you know I dread pneumonia b/c I get it so easy  with this COPD. I started using my acapella, which is device that you inhale through your nose and then blow into it for as long as you can. Now real hard  and fast, but see how long you can blow. It has a gauge on it so it becomes harder and harder to blow. I'm suppose to use it 20 blows 4 times a day. After 4 or 5 blows if you concentrate on blowing long and steady but not fast you will usuallly start coughing.  I've been using it a lot since yesterday. My back is hurting b/c the congestion is building up.  A good wake up call. I need to move around the apartment, but rest more and definitely stay on oxygen as much as possible.  Drink more water. I haven't been meeting the goal of 64 oz. a day. I figure that helps.

#1 - My rewards are thinking about how I don't want my  pants skirt with an elastic waist to ride up below my boobs! Then no waistline!  LOL . # 2 - I want to move as many clothes as possible to the back of my closet that I call my ' fat clothes' , and eventually to somone who doesn't mind seconds or to a second hand store, like Salvation Army, Goodwill, American Veterns, etc.  Don't keep  them or you will use that as an excuse to lean on if you gain it back. If you gain it back then you have to go buy a bigger size. Just a couple of pieces to get you by till you lose again. You will lose again b/c you did it b/4 you will again. I hate to have to buy a bigger size, that's my incentive!   

Will I'm suppose to go to Greensboro today to see the councelor again and I was looking forward to it again. We are suppose to get a storm starting today and going through Sat. Morning with winds of 12 - 20 MPH and gusts up to 30 - 40 MPH and lots of rain. I don't think I need to be out in that.  And I had a wreck in a heavy blowing blowing rain storms once. It is very hard to see.  I'll call later and reschedule.  This is suppose to be a tropical Depression.  Forgot to test my sugar this morning. It was 147 yesterday.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and took too long and bought a lot b/c I was out of a lot, but I could really tell it when I got home. I was exhausted. Only need five things more things at another store, but they can wait. I think I have enough for most of a month.  Have a good week and weekend. I hope my suggestions help some one.  # 3 - The only other thing is eat portion size.

As for the pictures I was suppose to finish putting them in photo albums and redo an old one that the pictures are falling out of b/4 my Mom left for TX  1 1/2 years ago. So I guess I'm riding the ' guilt bus ' .

Need to blow a lot of things off the road and keep on ' trucking'  down the road of life.   Janice  

September 25, 2008, 3:20 pm CDT

Hi Janice....love your post

Quote From: janice255

Hi- Janice checking in. LOL. I must admit I just read your posts and I've been doing some lurking ; as some call it. Just not up to posting. I'm weak and not coughing. A friend gave me a  ' w ake up call' yesterday. She said  I better try harder to cough up this stuff, b/c if I get too still and don't or can't cough up this mucus then that is when it goes into pneumonia. Will a lot of you know I dread pneumonia b/c I get it so easy  with this COPD. I started using my acapella, which is device that you inhale through your nose and then blow into it for as long as you can. Now real hard  and fast, but see how long you can blow. It has a gauge on it so it becomes harder and harder to blow. I'm suppose to use it 20 blows 4 times a day. After 4 or 5 blows if you concentrate on blowing long and steady but not fast you will usuallly start coughing.  I've been using it a lot since yesterday. My back is hurting b/c the congestion is building up.  A good wake up call. I need to move around the apartment, but rest more and definitely stay on oxygen as much as possible.  Drink more water. I haven't been meeting the goal of 64 oz. a day. I figure that helps.

#1 - My rewards are thinking about how I don't want my  pants skirt with an elastic waist to ride up below my boobs! Then no waistline!  LOL . # 2 - I want to move as many clothes as possible to the back of my closet that I call my ' fat clothes' , and eventually to somone who doesn't mind seconds or to a second hand store, like Salvation Army, Goodwill, American Veterns, etc.  Don't keep  them or you will use that as an excuse to lean on if you gain it back. If you gain it back then you have to go buy a bigger size. Just a couple of pieces to get you by till you lose again. You will lose again b/c you did it b/4 you will again. I hate to have to buy a bigger size, that's my incentive!   

Will I'm suppose to go to Greensboro today to see the councelor again and I was looking forward to it again. We are suppose to get a storm starting today and going through Sat. Morning with winds of 12 - 20 MPH and gusts up to 30 - 40 MPH and lots of rain. I don't think I need to be out in that.  And I had a wreck in a heavy blowing blowing rain storms once. It is very hard to see.  I'll call later and reschedule.  This is suppose to be a tropical Depression.  Forgot to test my sugar this morning. It was 147 yesterday.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and took too long and bought a lot b/c I was out of a lot, but I could really tell it when I got home. I was exhausted. Only need five things more things at another store, but they can wait. I think I have enough for most of a month.  Have a good week and weekend. I hope my suggestions help some one.  # 3 - The only other thing is eat portion size.

As for the pictures I was suppose to finish putting them in photo albums and redo an old one that the pictures are falling out of b/4 my Mom left for TX  1 1/2 years ago. So I guess I'm riding the ' guilt bus ' .

Need to blow a lot of things off the road and keep on ' trucking'  down the road of life.   Janice  

I can relate to the skirt above the boobs thing....been there....I would like to lose the stuff above the waist....so that my skirts hang from my waist..not the inner tube.....now my skirts just hang from there and make me look even bigger around......

WATER:   I have a time getting the water down too...I put orange slices in it and put it in the fridge...then it seems bearable...

I keep trying on clothes that are in the back of my closet......gives me incentive.

VALUE VILLAGE;   In Ontario the best "raggy baggy" well thats what my daughter calls it....who cares, I like it anyway....gets lots of good clothes there...and while losing...whats the point in going retail...we have goodwills too...but they are not as good.....I find the prices going up there.

PORTION SIZES:   I have to be careful with cereal....i am hungry in the morning....but keep the measuring cup right in the cereal...

HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TRIP TO THE DOCTORS....FEEL LIKE GARFIELD AT TIMES...HOW ABOUT YOU

September 25, 2008, 3:23 pm CDT

ANDIEPIE

THANKS ANDIEPIE......I AM DOING MORE NOW THAN EVER BEFORE....I REALLY NEED TO DO THIS NOW........WENT TO CURVES TODAY....I STAYED THE SAME AT WW THIS WEEK.....NEXT WEEK I WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE I HOPE......JUST HAVE TO KEEP GOING ONE DAY AT A TIME....HAVE TO CUT BACK ON THE CARBS AGAIN AND DRINK THE WATER....

HUGS

KATY

September 25, 2008, 4:54 pm CDT

rewards and etc.

Quote From: katysgoal

I can relate to the skirt above the boobs thing....been there....I would like to lose the stuff above the waist....so that my skirts hang from my waist..not the inner tube.....now my skirts just hang from there and make me look even bigger around......

WATER:   I have a time getting the water down too...I put orange slices in it and put it in the fridge...then it seems bearable...

I keep trying on clothes that are in the back of my closet......gives me incentive.

VALUE VILLAGE;   In Ontario the best "raggy baggy" well thats what my daughter calls it....who cares, I like it anyway....gets lots of good clothes there...and while losing...whats the point in going retail...we have goodwills too...but they are not as good.....I find the prices going up there.

PORTION SIZES:   I have to be careful with cereal....i am hungry in the morning....but keep the measuring cup right in the cereal...

HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TRIP TO THE DOCTORS....FEEL LIKE GARFIELD AT TIMES...HOW ABOUT YOU

Hi everyone - I did call and schedule my appointment with the counsoler b/c of the weather and my lung infection. They said to reschedule when I'm better. I will. It didn't start raining till about 4 P.M. so the storm is moving slower than they first thought. I stuck my head out the door earlier and it was just col and windy.  I slept for 1 1/2 hours this afternoon when I only meant to rest for 20 minutes b/4 getting the mail.

I put my water in the fridge also. It really helps.

I did some arm exercises this afternoon that we do in water arobics. I remember one that we did in High School where we had to raise our arms up and out to our side at shoulder level.  Then bring finger tips together and them back  three times and sing " we must , we must it's good for the bust!" then bring them back keeping at shoulder level! If your arms weren't high enough you would have to do it again. Ouch!!          I did some leg exercises last night in bed. Should have been standing.

Today listening to my body and taking it easy.

Katy,  have you tried cutting up a banana and putting it in your creal?  It fills me up and I'm more satisfied.  Your  getting your fruit and you need to eat more in the morning b/c you've been fasting all night. They say eating a good breakfast is a key to weight loss. Then you are not to tempted to snack on the wrong food. A snack in between breakfast and lunch like an apple or something is okay, but so many times we grab the the wrong things.  Yes I feel like the Garfield you are showing. Where do you get your cute Emotions? Are they the kind you pay for?  I didn't think about the back of the clothes closet for the thinner clothes. LOL   Janice

September 26, 2008, 4:50 am CDT

life style change

Hi again - I think of this as a life syle change sounds better,  more  appealing than a diet. As soon as you reach your weight goal on a diet you go back to your old habits and that is what makes you gain it all  back.  I try  to think of it as a life style change; which I think Dr. Phil mentions in WL book.  Giving up soft drinks, even diet,  and switching to decaf green tea and stop eating so much cheese helped a great deal. I got tired of lugging in all those soft drink bottles and carton of cans into my apartment.  I buy one maybe once a week out of a drink machine. It cost about the same as a 2 liter, but then I'm not tempted to drink the whole 2 liter. We all have fallen offf the wagon at times, but being here knowing everyone is going through the same thing helps greatly. 

Hope you all have a geat weekend and I'll rest and do my best to get rid of this infection.  Janice

September 26, 2008, 7:00 pm CDT

Janice

I dont know why some of my posts are showing up twice.....I dont hit the post twice...any ideas anyone....it kind of looks lame, eh?

Janice, I got the little emotions years ago  from the web and put them on a separate disk....they were free then....not sure about now, though.

stayed the same at WW this last week...weigh in again on Monday nite.....hope to lose.....

FAVORITE THING:

I put olive oil in a bowl, slice tomatoes, peppers, onions, zuccini or eggplant, salt and pepper, and Italian seasonings....coat with the oil and broil or cook at 350 until they are boiled down...add some low fat cheese until it melts.....

Hugs

Katy

First | Prev | 452 | 453 | 454 | 455 | 456 | 457 | 458 | 459 | Next | Last