Message Boards

Topic : 01/08 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention

Number of Replies: 498
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:47:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Almost every teenager owns a cell phone and an iPod these days, but what if your daughter bought these items with money she says she made by prostituting herself to older men? Alex, 14, has been running away from home, stealing money from her grandmother and selling her body to men nearly twice her age. Her family wrote to Dr. Phil for a desperately needed intervention. Alex’s mother, Kim, and aunt, Enza, are sisters-in-law who cannot be in the same room together without getting into a fight. Will they reunite for the sake of saving Alex? Within minutes of moving into the Dr. Phil House, Alex was trolling for men on the Internet, under the watchful eyes of Dr. Phil’s cameras. Dr. Phil meets with Kim and asks some hard questions, to find out how things got so out of control with her 14-year-old. Sparks fly when Enza joins the conversation. Find out what Enza has to say about Kim’s mothering skills and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2007, 7:14 am CST

01/08 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention

I just watched the Dr Phil house show regarding the teen Alex.  WOW!  I feel that Alex's Aunt Enza is way out of line.  How does Enza think that yelling and screaming at Alex's mom will ever help Alex out in anyway?   I hope that she watches these shows and realizes just how toxic  and ugly she is in this situation.  She should be ashamed of herself.    I hope that Dr Phil can help Alex and her mother heal in this situation and go on to lead happy, productive lives.

January 8, 2007, 7:18 am CST

Parents Need Help Also

I have been watching todays show with Alex and her mother Kim, everyone is feeling sorry for Alex. Yes she NEEDS HELP. but in my case i have a 15 yr. old daughter and a 13 yr. old son. my daughter is so out of control her father and I dont know what to do. She is VERY sexualy active, (we can't be with her every min.) she is into to drugs she sneaks out of the house she steals. she is VERY VERY abusive to every member of our family. i have 3 domestic violince reports on her. she was kicked out of her high school 3 weeks into her first year there for fighting. i have asked for help every where, with no reponse. she has been in the crisis center. (then they just release her with no help). she is currently out of the house she took of 3 days ago, she is on the AMmber alert right now. she will be 16 on the 11 th of jan, and in the state of New York they will not do anything with that age. i am affraid that she will end up dead...Her father and i do not do drugs, we do not drink...... we are a sports orriented family, (my daughter USED to play sports) but now it is all about drugs and partying .. so there are families out there that the teenager is just out of control for knowones fault but there own.. SO WHAT DO WE DO AS PARETNS ABOUT THAT?

SCARED TO DEATH.......

January 8, 2007, 7:25 am CST

Having trouble with my teen

My teen is very hyperactive,moody, angry, lippy, and i am at wits end with him.  Know he is at the stage where he thinks he does not have to do what i say,and always in trouble at school behind a girl. This 14 yr old girl really need help, and i really feel for the mother!

January 8, 2007, 7:28 am CST

I am a teenager 17 to be exact . I can say for myself that even though I never thought of doing such a thing that everyone makes bad decisons in the long run. For someone to do such a thing is cry for help deep down on the inside. She probably needs more attention at home. Psychologically this makes her happy and she just doesn't know that she is hurting her self. Until when she gets older and look back on things she will  know that what she did was terrible. And she would be a living example and be able to tell her struggle. We are not angels out here. Everyone makes mistakes some just to bizarre. I was told that who you hang out with is who you are.

January 8, 2007, 7:40 am CST

This family can heal

I believe if Alex and her Mom get to the root of their self-destructive behavior - probably trauma from their past, they will get beyond this. Dr. Phil, you ROCK for taking them on. I feel like the Mother truly cares, but doesn't know how to go about saving her daughter. The grandmother is precious... The aunt seems to be working her own agenda. I'm hoping Dr. Phil can decompress this woman - possibly figure out why SHE's so angry. Obviously she was hurt by Kim at some point, otherwise she wouldn't be so passionate in her despise for her. Send them energy, everyone... they'll need it. Godspeed to the all!

January 8, 2007, 7:52 am CST

my god after seeing the first part of this all i can say dr phil no wonder this 14 year old girl is so screwed up, those two women need you to break out the boxing gloves and put a end to all there bitchin at each other,and poor grandma, what a hell she must be living in over all this.

January 8, 2007, 8:20 am CST

WOW...!

Enza’s tone, words, and mannerisms are venomous. I hope that she sees the way she comes off on TV and wakes up to the reality of how she presents herself. Of course the mother, Kim, will be defensive when she is berated by her sister-in-law. I question Enza’s intentions and motive in being part of this intervention. The hateful words that spew from her mouth are sickening. I do want to know where Enza’s husband/ Kim’s brother is? Dr. Phil put Enza in her place!!!!!

I feel that there is hope for Kim and Alex. Dr. Phil will be able to help them and bring them hope for a brighter future. Just get rid of the Aunt!!

January 8, 2007, 8:22 am CST

That's One Mean Aunt!

Dr. Phil, please hurry up and remove the aunt from the situation.  She is possibly one of the meanest people in the world.  If she really wanted to help, she would have intervened in a more positive and helpful manner.  This lady just likes to argue and be right.  Sure, the mother is in denial and is probably an alcoholic, but has the aunt introduced any solutions?  Seems to me she has just created another layer of conflict into the situation stemming more from her long time dislike for the mother, not out of loving and wanting the best for the children.

I know of someone who when faced with a similar situation, sought and received custody of the children involved, got the children into counseling and still tried to help the mother.  Sure the mother went ballistic, however this person moved forward in a very calm manner to do what was best for the children.  All without fighting, screaming and calling names. 

That's the easy way out - -pointing fingers.  If the aunt was so concerned and felt the mother was so unfit, why didn't she do something about it?  Why?  Because it was easier to keep flapping her lips than to take custody and really help the children!  As usual, one more person who has all the answers but can't be bothered to get her hands dirty in the rebuilding of a damaged heart.

And the mom needs to stop making excuses and step up to the plate.  I think that she probably won't follow through in the long run with whatever Dr. Phil prescribes because she is a selfish person.  She wants peace in her household, but she won't be a mom.  Seems like she wants to be more of a friend than a parent.  Mom, your time to party and be free will come again once you've raised your children!

Poor Grandma!  Poor dazed and confused teen! Poor Everybody! 

January 8, 2007, 8:25 am CST

Quote From: martinarn

Dr. Phil, you need to give us a more clearer, broader picture.  You are only letting the aunt speak out when she is definitely interfering and degrading both the daughter and mother.  Where is the father here?  Daughters who seek attention from other men, start prostitution at such an early age desperately need the love of a father.  AND WHY DO YOU ALLOW CELL PHONES AND COMPUTERS IN THEIR ROOM?  That's like giving an alcoholic a beer store.  What are YOU thinking?

I totally agree concerning the aunt. She clearly lashes out at the mother for what seems to be more for selfish reasons than because she's genuinly concerned. She seems to be somewhat jealous of this mother. It clearly makes her feel good to run this woman in the ground. And my gut tells me that she does this to whoever she can do it to. Iv seen and known people like her and see right through this woman.

January 8, 2007, 8:43 am CST

Quote From: iamvip

Dr. Phil, please hurry up and remove the aunt from the situation.  She is possibly one of the meanest people in the world.  If she really wanted to help, she would have intervened in a more positive and helpful manner.  This lady just likes to argue and be right.  Sure, the mother is in denial and is probably an alcoholic, but has the aunt introduced any solutions?  Seems to me she has just created another layer of conflict into the situation stemming more from her long time dislike for the mother, not out of loving and wanting the best for the children.

I know of someone who when faced with a similar situation, sought and received custody of the children involved, got the children into counseling and still tried to help the mother.  Sure the mother went ballistic, however this person moved forward in a very calm manner to do what was best for the children.  All without fighting, screaming and calling names. 

That's the easy way out - -pointing fingers.  If the aunt was so concerned and felt the mother was so unfit, why didn't she do something about it?  Why?  Because it was easier to keep flapping her lips than to take custody and really help the children!  As usual, one more person who has all the answers but can't be bothered to get her hands dirty in the rebuilding of a damaged heart.

And the mom needs to stop making excuses and step up to the plate.  I think that she probably won't follow through in the long run with whatever Dr. Phil prescribes because she is a selfish person.  She wants peace in her household, but she won't be a mom.  Seems like she wants to be more of a friend than a parent.  Mom, your time to party and be free will come again once you've raised your children!

Poor Grandma!  Poor dazed and confused teen! Poor Everybody! 

I totally agree!! Man, that lady is angry! I see right through her. She's not there to help, she's there to name call. It makes her feel good about herself. Its in her eyes...she enjoys every minute of this. Id like to sit down with her for a moment and tell her about HERSELF!!

T.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last