Message Boards

Topic : 01/09 False Confessions

Number of Replies: 330
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:49:03 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you ever confess to a crime you didn’t commit? What if the authorities, police you thought you could trust, said that you committed a crime and that they had evidence to prove it? Would you begin to doubt yourself, even though you knew you were innocent? Dr. Phil explores the psychology of false confessions. After a young man was shot dead at a local pizza parlor, Jon, 24, found himself behind bars. He then spent six months in jail before being exonerated from murder charges. Why did he confess to a crime he didn’t commit? What role did the police play in his confession? Learn how the truth finally came out. Then, experts say some ‘fess up for fame, others do so to escape torturous interrogations. No one knows the art of getting confessions better than 29-year veteran New York City Homicide Detective Louis Scarcello. Hear about his interrogations and decide for yourself if the tactics used by law enforcement cross the line into coercion. Then, Marty Tankleff was just 17 when he was convicted of murdering his parents -- based on what he says was a police-coerced false confession. Sixteen years have passed with Marty still behind bars, but the question remains: Did he do it? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2007, 6:56 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

I know how hard it would be to be interrogated by the police. I feel that way when I'm being grilled by my boyfriend who tries to control everything I do. You would literally do or say anything just to get away from them because they will not stop torturing you. These people can even make you believe that you are guilty or wrong even if you haven't  done anything. If I were put in that situation, I would just keep telling the police that I want a lawyer. I know that most are just trying to do their jobs but I believe that some will do whatever it takes to get a confession just so they can close a case.

January 8, 2007, 6:59 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

Quote From: afraid

when some one confessises to a crime as horible as murder and they know they didnt do it they should receive the very same punnishment the guilty party would receive, not only have they lied and stoped officers from serching for the real guilty party, but they have allowed a murderer to stay atlarge possibly killing even more people.
Sorry to disagree but what you don't realize is that alot of these investigators are interrogating to the point of mental abuse. Anyone could crack under hours of this.

January 8, 2007, 7:25 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

Quote From: supportmom

I believe you missed part of the point - what happens if you get a police officer who goes over the line with interrogating a minor, for instance? You must have never had an encounter with someone in law enforcement who wants to show their power by bullying. Do you not believe that a law enforcement officer could bully someone who is innocent into confessing to a crime they did not commit? If you do not believe this is possible, then I guess you will just have to wait until you or someone you love has that experience. That is what I think is so sad about the whole situation - people refuse to believe it happens until they experience it for themselves.
then you let him go over the line, if you did not do what you confess to you are just as guilty as the perp if you say you did, even if theyu tied me to a chair and beat the hell out of me i would not confess to murder to save me from a ass whipping from any cop if i am infact not guilty of that crime. and know this i may get my ass beat but what comes around goes around, he infact wont be a coip for long.

January 8, 2007, 7:31 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

Quote From: supportmom

I believe you missed part of the point - what happens if you get a police officer who goes over the line with interrogating a minor, for instance? You must have never had an encounter with someone in law enforcement who wants to show their power by bullying. Do you not believe that a law enforcement officer could bully someone who is innocent into confessing to a crime they did not commit? If you do not believe this is possible, then I guess you will just have to wait until you or someone you love has that experience. That is what I think is so sad about the whole situation - people refuse to believe it happens until they experience it for themselves.
ohhh yeah also i havent seen this show yet, but i stand by my words100%.

January 8, 2007, 8:45 am CST

False confessions

I've always said. "The police have the only job I know,where you can lie about people,and get away with it." Police should not be allowed to wreck people's lives,but the judges,attorneys(on both sides ) make deals behind close doors,but  we let them do it to us,by saying "they are not all that bad". I've  been,and over the road truck driver for 38yrs.with no accidents,and last Sept 2005,and guy ran a red light into my truck. He was employed by the state of Ohio,and his passenger who was not seat belted in, was thrown out,and died. The police wrote up the accident report  in such a way to make me to blame.The Ohio attorney that was suppose to defend me,didn't.The Ohio State Bar,covered for the attorney, The Ohio Disciplinary Board covered for the Police's actions. The Judge offered  to wave the 90 day jail term, IF I'd take a "No Contest" plea. The reprucessions,of trusting the legal system,and the people who use their powers in the legal system for ther own agenda. this has cost me my way of making a living. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket,and can't fight back,and they know it. The first thing the Police officer said to me,before reading me my rights,"We're not doing this,just because you're from Michigan"  All I can say is "Never Trust A Cop"! Every time you have a "run-in" with a cop,your guarenteed to lose. Hope Dr. Phil,and his staff  keeps up the good work on this subject.

January 8, 2007, 9:57 am CST

woman from hell

Quote From: rwwood48

I've always said. "The police have the only job I know,where you can lie about people,and get away with it." Police should not be allowed to wreck people's lives,but the judges,attorneys(on both sides ) make deals behind close doors,but  we let them do it to us,by saying "they are not all that bad". I've  been,and over the road truck driver for 38yrs.with no accidents,and last Sept 2005,and guy ran a red light into my truck. He was employed by the state of Ohio,and his passenger who was not seat belted in, was thrown out,and died. The police wrote up the accident report  in such a way to make me to blame.The Ohio attorney that was suppose to defend me,didn't.The Ohio State Bar,covered for the attorney, The Ohio Disciplinary Board covered for the Police's actions. The Judge offered  to wave the 90 day jail term, IF I'd take a "No Contest" plea. The reprucessions,of trusting the legal system,and the people who use their powers in the legal system for ther own agenda. this has cost me my way of making a living. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket,and can't fight back,and they know it. The first thing the Police officer said to me,before reading me my rights,"We're not doing this,just because you're from Michigan"  All I can say is "Never Trust A Cop"! Every time you have a "run-in" with a cop,your guarenteed to lose. Hope Dr. Phil,and his staff  keeps up the good work on this subject.

We can totally understand your feelings & sentiments. The day after my husband's 59th birthday we were on our way home from a football game when out of nowhere came this woman with a fancy sports car on our tail. Then she was on the left side of us, then the right all the while getting so close to our car our side mirrors were only a finger width apart. I being the passenger & my husband trying to keep our car under control from being pushed into a construction ditch, rolled down the window to tell her to get away but before I could get 1 word out she angrily screamed "How would you like some nice red stripes on your car?" then she actually hit our car. I called 911 gave a discription of the car & license plate, our location & was relieved when a cop in less than 1 minute pulled his car between ours & hers.  My husband got out & began to explain to the cop what happened. He was told to shut the F. up pushed against the wall, tested repeatedly for alcohol, placed under arrest & taken to jail for 24 hrs. In all that tme he was not read his rights, allowed to call a lawyer, given the tests again & again. Every test came up 0.00 then they drew blood without his permission of course but threatened to get it from the judge if he didn't cooperate.  When I tried to explain what happened, I too was told to shut up, go back to the car. Even though I did as the so-called law enforcement person wanted, I pleaded with another one who arrived shortly after the 1st.  His first question to us should have been, 'is anyone hurt?' but instead he asked if we were New Yorkers, that's the way you New Yorkers act isn't it.  Well shut my mouth, I know I'm in deep sh-t now. When I did start explaining what happened I was told "do you want to stick to that story, because if you do then you'll be arrested too. To make a terrible story short, the woman from hell was never asked to get out of her car, given any test, etc. she just drove off.  Now we have an attorney because my husband has a DUI on his record that is false, he can no longer have his firearm collection & will lose his license for one year.  This totally turned our lives upside down.  To make matters worse, my husband is a retired driver-ed teacher of 30+ yrs. & a USArmy Major who served in Desert Shield, Desert Storm, World Trade Center & last but not least, Vietnam, Afganistan & has only been back from Iraq 18 months.  He has or should I say had, the greatest respect for police & the law. He has never had an accident or any type of infraction on his record. Our lives turn to sh-t while hers goes on happily everafter. Who the H E double toothpicks is she anyway? The Mayor's niece or something? If we are not totally cleared of this falseness, we promise, we will go straight to the media. Roadrage plus bad cops need to be exposed & taken off the streets for good or else this will happen to you & you & you...............

January 8, 2007, 2:49 pm CST

01/09 False Confessions

Quote From: rrichard032067

Sorry to disagree but what you don't realize is that alot of these investigators are interrogating to the point of mental abuse. Anyone could crack under hours of this.
not me! try to mentaly abuse me to saying i killed some one when i havent,you my dear will tire long before i will.

January 8, 2007, 5:27 pm CST

You understand very well!

Quote From: rrichard032067

I know how hard it would be to be interrogated by the police. I feel that way when I'm being grilled by my boyfriend who tries to control everything I do. You would literally do or say anything just to get away from them because they will not stop torturing you. These people can even make you believe that you are guilty or wrong even if you haven't  done anything. If I were put in that situation, I would just keep telling the police that I want a lawyer. I know that most are just trying to do their jobs but I believe that some will do whatever it takes to get a confession just so they can close a case.

I appreciate your comment that some police officers will do anything to get a confession to close a case.  To that I will add "or extract whatever information they can get to turn around and use against a person"  in order to close a case.

January 9, 2007, 3:57 am CST

Everywhere and Anyone can be.

I aint shockable.  The system we have is the best there is but it has problems.

Even Christ had problems with a fellow comrad?  Solomon went bonkers?

President Nixon shamed our country?  I am glad this show will be aired and I hope people realize that The GOOD the BAD the GREAT and the UGLY is Everywhere and can be Anyone.

Seems to me though that some of the departments have formed a mentality over time that protects thier work atmosphere rather than honor the jobs trust factor to the public?

But remember you can have a Bad Doctor, Talk Show Host, Lawyer, Parent, Sibling, Judge, Nurse, or teacher; the list is endless.  We should be able to trust our law enforcement and court systems, when we can't the public needs to stand behind the whistle blower?

Some are bad, some are good some are Great and some are ugly:  thats the choices most often.  I think we have too many superior mind sets in many fields, expecially the prison officials, but we still have the best.  Good show coming and great topic, may help get more Goods?

January 9, 2007, 5:50 am CST

Can Americans be trusted?

Quote From: wnglydplt

We can totally understand your feelings & sentiments. The day after my husband's 59th birthday we were on our way home from a football game when out of nowhere came this woman with a fancy sports car on our tail. Then she was on the left side of us, then the right all the while getting so close to our car our side mirrors were only a finger width apart. I being the passenger & my husband trying to keep our car under control from being pushed into a construction ditch, rolled down the window to tell her to get away but before I could get 1 word out she angrily screamed "How would you like some nice red stripes on your car?" then she actually hit our car. I called 911 gave a discription of the car & license plate, our location & was relieved when a cop in less than 1 minute pulled his car between ours & hers.  My husband got out & began to explain to the cop what happened. He was told to shut the F. up pushed against the wall, tested repeatedly for alcohol, placed under arrest & taken to jail for 24 hrs. In all that tme he was not read his rights, allowed to call a lawyer, given the tests again & again. Every test came up 0.00 then they drew blood without his permission of course but threatened to get it from the judge if he didn't cooperate.  When I tried to explain what happened, I too was told to shut up, go back to the car. Even though I did as the so-called law enforcement person wanted, I pleaded with another one who arrived shortly after the 1st.  His first question to us should have been, 'is anyone hurt?' but instead he asked if we were New Yorkers, that's the way you New Yorkers act isn't it.  Well shut my mouth, I know I'm in deep sh-t now. When I did start explaining what happened I was told "do you want to stick to that story, because if you do then you'll be arrested too. To make a terrible story short, the woman from hell was never asked to get out of her car, given any test, etc. she just drove off.  Now we have an attorney because my husband has a DUI on his record that is false, he can no longer have his firearm collection & will lose his license for one year.  This totally turned our lives upside down.  To make matters worse, my husband is a retired driver-ed teacher of 30+ yrs. & a USArmy Major who served in Desert Shield, Desert Storm, World Trade Center & last but not least, Vietnam, Afganistan & has only been back from Iraq 18 months.  He has or should I say had, the greatest respect for police & the law. He has never had an accident or any type of infraction on his record. Our lives turn to sh-t while hers goes on happily everafter. Who the H E double toothpicks is she anyway? The Mayor's niece or something? If we are not totally cleared of this falseness, we promise, we will go straight to the media. Roadrage plus bad cops need to be exposed & taken off the streets for good or else this will happen to you & you & you...............

This is a typical story told by people living in "the greatest country of the world", witch is a selfchosen anouncement of course!! We in Europe and all around the rest of the world hear and see stories like this and much worse about Americans on our tv all the time. Does Americans ever think of their reputation in the rest of the world? Or do you all really think that you live in a separate planet? I have a desire to travel all around the world, but the US is hardly my first choise! The biggest problem we are facing with here is a practice of denial and secrecy at an unimaginable high level! There is corruption, segregation, unemployment, poverty, lack of knowledge and more and more and more in the US too just like any other country, but all your polititions, witch you yourselfs have given the power by voting on them, ever care about is weather other countries are "democratic" or not. I think the democraty in the US is just as a big illusion as any of David Copperfields' tricks! And the irony is that you Americans actually wish to force that same illusion you call "democraty" on to other countries!!  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last