Message Boards

Topic : 01/09 False Confessions

Number of Replies: 330
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:49:03 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you ever confess to a crime you didn’t commit? What if the authorities, police you thought you could trust, said that you committed a crime and that they had evidence to prove it? Would you begin to doubt yourself, even though you knew you were innocent? Dr. Phil explores the psychology of false confessions. After a young man was shot dead at a local pizza parlor, Jon, 24, found himself behind bars. He then spent six months in jail before being exonerated from murder charges. Why did he confess to a crime he didn’t commit? What role did the police play in his confession? Learn how the truth finally came out. Then, experts say some ‘fess up for fame, others do so to escape torturous interrogations. No one knows the art of getting confessions better than 29-year veteran New York City Homicide Detective Louis Scarcello. Hear about his interrogations and decide for yourself if the tactics used by law enforcement cross the line into coercion. Then, Marty Tankleff was just 17 when he was convicted of murdering his parents -- based on what he says was a police-coerced false confession. Sixteen years have passed with Marty still behind bars, but the question remains: Did he do it? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 9, 2007, 6:10 am CST

Lying Cops

Quote From: afraid

ohhh yeah also i havent seen this show yet, but i stand by my words100%.
Look I sympathise with your sentiments about the way that a lot of police people overbully the people they bring in for interrogation.   I have seen it myself in the police interrogation rooms.If someone is underage I have seen them actually punch that minor in the room, then they were thrown smash into the walls. The police did not offer for them to get a lawyer, it was the mother of the young person who actually came down to the station, after they bashed the kid around  and in tears called a trusted lawyer.  But not before he was given a good hiding.  Secondly , my  1st husband's  Uncle was very high up in the force, here in Australia we call them Inspectors, and when his nephew got a ticket for drink-driving and speeding, which could have sent him to jail for 6 months at least and lose his licence for 2 years, this very high police official just destroyed his nephew's ticket.  Somehow he made sure that his nephew got off ,  So, Greg, the nephew, proudly walked the streets of Melbourne again without any conviction. H e stood to lose quite a bit, reputation wise with his job, with his business contacts etc. But i thought how unfair it is that police, and very high up ones too, flaunt the law themselves and chose to do this sort of unfair thing.   Noone else would have got away with it.                                              

January 9, 2007, 6:34 am CST

Louis Scarcella

re  Louis Scarcella's statement  that a good detective has a sixth sense.  I think he's full of bologna.  No one has a sixth sense.  there is no such thing.  Does he consult with Silvia Brown too? 

January 9, 2007, 6:39 am CST

False Confessions

The evidence should make a path to the killer instead of the cops trying to get someone to confess to something they didn't do. I really think the cops are trying to comfort the family instead of getting a true killer off the street and that is wrong. If they would let the evidence speak for it's self then the cops would find the one who done the crime. If it is a cop who killed someone they get off scott free and that is wrong I think the justice system needs to be reviewed. Cops are no better than everyone else. They choose the job and they need to follow the rules. Check the murder in South Carolina, Chesrterfield county, but it was a darlington county cop who was out of his county and didn't have the warrant countier signed by chesterfield county and didn't get the chesterfield county cops to go with him. Yes the man that was shot had a rap sheet but the cop didn't follow the rules and as far as I'm concerned he is guilty. Not only that they held the trial in darlington county where the cop worked. If that was me they would have held the trial in the county I commited the crime in. Think about how cops cover their butts when they are guilty and their co-workers help them out. Really the justice system needs to be reviewed and "what is good for the goose is good for the gander"

January 9, 2007, 6:44 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

why would any one say they are guilty of something that they are not? is not your freedom worth more effort?am i to assume this country uses military means of interrogation's in order to acheve a confession from the general public? if this is the case than man and woman need to change there laws.and teach there children to never take the blame for something they are not gui;lty of, ther apple never falls far from the tree.

January 9, 2007, 6:57 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

This is very sad that these people are spending time in jail for something they didn't do! There are some really BAD cops out there!!

January 9, 2007, 7:04 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

I know of  a lot of young women who confess to crimes to protect boyfriends...they sit in prison while BF is out living it up. It doesn't make sense.

January 9, 2007, 7:11 am CST

GET OUT!!!!!

Quote From: supportmom

I appreciate your comment that some police officers will do anything to get a confession to close a case.  To that I will add "or extract whatever information they can get to turn around and use against a person"  in order to close a case.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED 2 GET OUT OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU BOYFRIEND!!!

January 9, 2007, 7:23 am CST

Work Environment Mentality

It happens in many work environments: the social air can be to protect the jobs

reputation rather than do whats right?  There is good people afraid to tell because they have seen what can happen to the so called 'snitches'.  So that leaves some getting away with the corruption in them suppose to be trusted professions.  Even with the whistle blowers act to protect those who tell it is difficult.  Some work environments ensure they have their corruption covered so before anyone could tell on them, they begin a 'make them look like bad employee's first' action.  Work Environment Mission of Statements are suppose to be enforced but they not always are applied to the actual ones who disrespect them.  The mentality in work envirnonments that grows is the : "I didn't see nothing, I didn't hear nothing and don't know anything about it' to avoid being caught in the investigatons or the wrong persons crosshairs?

you can bet in many work environments it only takes within the first year to know if that person needs to be made out to be an attitude problem or somewhat a problem employee because it is seen they are the type to tell or not put up with dishonesty. Honesty can be such a rare thing to see and hear sometimes.  I have no doubt many things happen with law enforcement just like politics that we would rather believe don't.

A good reason that there should not be regular partners in law enforcement, to not have the kind of team work so easy to use?

It reminds of seeing how eye witnesses is the most unreliable information used in most cases.

Eye witnesses to a crime is such a controvercy because so many times it has been wrong?

Some of those times is because of what someone put in the mind at the line up or how the line up was set?

If someone has the mentality to stick to thier convictions regardless of right or wrong, bet the work environment is set up to protect them on it because they don't want their department tainted they will set up a person or let them fall.  Happens too often.

the GOOD, the BAD, the GREAT and the UGLY exist in all walks of life and in every profession!

January 9, 2007, 7:29 am CST

Power corrupts

To comment on this general topic, I trust nobody in law enforcement. This of course is all my anecdotal "data," but all the cops I've known are .just not decent  people. They carry a sense of elitism and think they are better than non-cops, whom they refer to as civilians.

We the civilians should educate ourselves on our rights, and not allow law enforcement to intimidate us.

Look at what's happening in Guantamo Bay: constitutional rights such as due process have been completely obliterated, and many of those inmates are languishing away, not even knowing what they are accused of. Let's not let that progress further.

January 9, 2007, 7:32 am CST

01/09 False Confessions

Quote From: rwwood48

I've always said. "The police have the only job I know,where you can lie about people,and get away with it." Police should not be allowed to wreck people's lives,but the judges,attorneys(on both sides ) make deals behind close doors,but  we let them do it to us,by saying "they are not all that bad". I've  been,and over the road truck driver for 38yrs.with no accidents,and last Sept 2005,and guy ran a red light into my truck. He was employed by the state of Ohio,and his passenger who was not seat belted in, was thrown out,and died. The police wrote up the accident report  in such a way to make me to blame.The Ohio attorney that was suppose to defend me,didn't.The Ohio State Bar,covered for the attorney, The Ohio Disciplinary Board covered for the Police's actions. The Judge offered  to wave the 90 day jail term, IF I'd take a "No Contest" plea. The reprucessions,of trusting the legal system,and the people who use their powers in the legal system for ther own agenda. this has cost me my way of making a living. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket,and can't fight back,and they know it. The first thing the Police officer said to me,before reading me my rights,"We're not doing this,just because you're from Michigan"  All I can say is "Never Trust A Cop"! Every time you have a "run-in" with a cop,your guarenteed to lose. Hope Dr. Phil,and his staff  keeps up the good work on this subject.

I feel for you, that is terrible.  It teaches to be careful to always have our guard up.

Sad but true, we would ask for a second opinion on a major medical issue because not all agree on treatment and diagnosis.  We need to remember that in all things.

It is not only police though.  Teachers ( there has been cases blid eyes was turned to an overly affectionate teacher), Correction Officers in prisons (many cover each other), Doctors and dentist don't want to say bad things about another one, it goes all over the professions and religions!  Some unions will protect a guilty person over technicalities of wording or how a write up was done?  Insurance companies you pay to cover you will do alot to get out of paying you what you deserve?  Police having quotas to fill?  I can see how some people could get traumatized into a false confession. Especially someone who has little experience with emotional conflicts?  I'd bet about 10% of convicted criminals are not guilty of the crime they was sentenced to.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last