Message Boards

Topic : 01/09 False Confessions

Number of Replies: 330
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:49:03 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you ever confess to a crime you didn’t commit? What if the authorities, police you thought you could trust, said that you committed a crime and that they had evidence to prove it? Would you begin to doubt yourself, even though you knew you were innocent? Dr. Phil explores the psychology of false confessions. After a young man was shot dead at a local pizza parlor, Jon, 24, found himself behind bars. He then spent six months in jail before being exonerated from murder charges. Why did he confess to a crime he didn’t commit? What role did the police play in his confession? Learn how the truth finally came out. Then, experts say some ‘fess up for fame, others do so to escape torturous interrogations. No one knows the art of getting confessions better than 29-year veteran New York City Homicide Detective Louis Scarcello. Hear about his interrogations and decide for yourself if the tactics used by law enforcement cross the line into coercion. Then, Marty Tankleff was just 17 when he was convicted of murdering his parents -- based on what he says was a police-coerced false confession. Sixteen years have passed with Marty still behind bars, but the question remains: Did he do it? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 2, 2007, 2:47 pm CDT

NORFOLK FOUR FALSE CONFESSION

Talk about false confessions!! Four navy sailors falsely confessed to the rape and murder of a woman and three are still in prison for this. One is out but he still isn't free because he still has to register as a sex offender!! Even after the right man was found!!  All four of the men gave different accounts of what happened, how it happened and what the murder weapon was. This is in Norfolk, Virginia.  The three still in prison had life sentences.  All it takes is the pardon of the Governor of Virginia.  Why he can't let these men have the pardons is beyond me.  They deserve it!!  They have the man whose DNA matches the semen sample, knew the weapon, knew certain parts of the case that no one else knew, and was a previous felon.  These other men were never known for violence!! They were threatened of the death penalty and made to think they were going to die if they did not give the lead detective what he wanted to hear. These men deserve to have their pardons.  They deserve to be free. False confessions are something that goes on every day in this country and I can see where they would get scared into forgetting their training and what they are supposed to do when they are scared out of their minds.  A way for the rest of us to understand is think of a mother with their child that has been hurt, the mother has been trained in the medical field, but that has all gone out of the window and she acts like a blubbering fool once she sees the hurt child and someone else has to take care of the child.  Ok it is quite mild compared to that but you get the idea. I believe that someone should do something about this.  Everyone should write and petition the governor of Virginia Timothy Kaine to release these men and give all four of them their pardons. 

April 4, 2007, 5:49 am CDT

Police acting like robots

The police don't act human anymore. Just like in the military when everyone has to shave their heads so they don't have their own personality and looks. The police have changed because the police state is takign effect and no matter what happens they draw a paycheck. I know that many cops just joined the force to push people around. I have been told that by a couple police officers. I know we need police, but so many of them give the rest of them a bad name. Whenever I hear of one getting their brains bashed in I just hope it was one of those arrogant bastards that liked to push people around. Cops cry that their jobs are dangerous. This might be true for city cops. But State Troopers have AC and heat and their job is a lot less dangerous than offshore fishermen and coal miners. Everyone should put a camera in their car and use when stopped by the police. There was a time when cops would talk to people like human beings. Now so many of them try to force a confrontation.

April 4, 2007, 6:46 pm CDT

01/09 False Confessions

What really gets me, is when the spouse of the deceased is grilled like they are guilty.

Can you imagine what it must be like to have just lost your parent, child, or spouse, and be accused of their death on top of it? Then you get a snide little, "Sorry, it's just my job, you know. I hope you understand." At that point, it would almost be worth it to get one good kick into the sack. What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty?" Now, it's the other way around.

July 4, 2007, 7:35 am CDT

Seek support from your family.

Quote From: khough1

I came to the Dr. Phil website in search of an aswer and support, but I wasn't sure where to post my message.  I am 25 years old, and back in September I was served with a Fair Housing complain on the basis of racism.  I was temporarily working at an apartment community between social work jobs.  One of our policies was to not show an apartment less than half an hour before the office closed.  I worked alone and am such a stickler for policy.  Over the summer, a couple had been waiting in the office.  It was less than half an hour before close, and I told them I was unable to show them an apartment.  They left seemingly very angry.  Three months later, I received the complaint from HUD. 

I spoke with a woman from HUD who told me the couple wanted to conciliate for $5000.  Being a social worker with lots of student loan debt, I just don't have the money to pay someone off  for tsomething I did not do.  When I continued speaking with the HUD investigator, I did not feel it was impartial.  She misstated things that were in the complaint about what the couple had said...  She called the couple's changed statements to her "typos." 

I haven't spoken to the investigator since, but after I would not conciliate, the couple added the corporation and other managers to their complaint.  On January 12, the investigator should complete the report that will go to a judge as to whether or not they are going to charge me with an act of discrimination.

This has never been far from my mind over the past few months and have been very difficult for me.  I know in my heart I did not discriminate---I've always dated, been friends with, worked with people of many different backgrounds.  My nature is to help people.  To be falesly accused and risk a fine for several thousands of dollars I just don't have at my age is absolutely devasting.  I've been through a lot in my life, but this is something beyond my control. 

As the time draws nearer, I am getting more and more scared of being charged with something I did not do...  I don't even know how to cope with this...  This could literally ruin many aspects of my life, let alone my mental well-being. 

A close friend and associate in the field told me I was an easy target because emotionally, I would have the most to lose and would appear to be the type of person who would conciliate just so I wouldn't emotionally suffer...  It is crazy.  I have spent my whole life trying to help people because I come from unfortunate circumstances....  I feel like my heart has been torn out, and I just don't even know how I will cope if I am charged with this... 

If it is possible for you, seek support from your family and friends. Do not go through this alone. Having someone who supports and believes in you will probably strengthen you. Talk about your feelings with them.

Hope it helps - and sorry for writing this now, they just viewed that episode in Denmark today...

July 4, 2007, 7:51 am CDT

The same thing is happening in the world of cycling.

Quote From: snarkie

What really gets me, is when the spouse of the deceased is grilled like they are guilty.

Can you imagine what it must be like to have just lost your parent, child, or spouse, and be accused of their death on top of it? Then you get a snide little, "Sorry, it's just my job, you know. I hope you understand." At that point, it would almost be worth it to get one good kick into the sack. What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty?" Now, it's the other way around.

The exact same thing is happening in the world of cycling sports. Just before last years Tour de France a lot of the riders were pulled out of the race, because of doping allegations (Operacion Puerto). One of the riders they pulled out, Ivan Basso - rode for the Danish "Team CSC" - haven't had his trial yet, but is suspended from riding races and he has been fired from his team (therefore "rode"). There is still no evidence against him, only a piece of paper with names and one of them says "Birillo" - allegedly the same name as one of his dogs. The funny part is that it is also a type of sofas...

Basso has, though, admitted to "wanting to take doping" but hasn't taken any. Acc. to experts he will receive approx. 21 months of suspension - the year now gone not withdrawn.

DKDexter999 - hoping for a clean, interesting, exciting Tour de France... and for the world of justice to get back to the regular "innocent till otherwise proven".

July 11, 2007, 6:32 am CDT

West Memphis Three

You want to read about what I would say is the sadest case of a false/coerced confession? Go to www.wm3.org now that's what I call a false confession.

Three young men arrested as teenagers in 1993 in West Memphis Arkansas and thrown in jail on a false/coerced confession by a 16yo who is mentally retarded and holds an IQ of 72. The 3 are still sitting in prison after 14 years, one is on death row.

Read the confession - non of it fits the crime scene, no evidence whatsoever, how can this happen!!!

Raise awareness, please let's not forget these 3 men.

*Raising awareness around the world - aussiepassion in Western Australia*

July 11, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

You never know

Quote From: rosie52

As i sit here right now, I'm thinking that I would never confess to something that I hadn't done. But, I am aware that it does happen. I think there are various reasons. I have heard of situations where the accused had a low I.Q. By the time an aggressive interaggator got through with someone like that, they were so confused that they didn't really know what was what. I also think that the very young could be easily worn down, and confess to something they didn't do. I am pretty convinced that I would never confess to something I didn't do.
In 1983 as an adventure I have always wanted I went off as a tourist on theTrans Siberian across the USSR. I was detained and questioned for six hours, I later confessed for attempting to import narcotics. In fact they were vitamin tablets and I now believe that the Soviet Customs in their far east were only trying to justify their job as once I "confessed" I was let go (needless to say I had stuffed one tablet down my shoe in an attempt to gather possible neccessary evidence. Never say never, It has nothing to do with IQ it has more to do with not having information or the resources to defend yourself. The US justice system does not treat people equally, the poor are caught without the necessary legal representation, the rich have access to clever lawyers. Don't get me he started on my fellow Australian, David Hicks whose guilty plea to helping a terrorist organisation was obviously not made on his own free will. With respect you need to be able to show empathy to other people's situation.

July 16, 2007, 9:51 pm CDT

false confessions

I know first hand false confessions exist.  My son was abused years ago by my roomate.  I was interrogated and made a false confession to burning my son.  It has forever changed my life.   .  For a long time I was able to sweep it under the rug and accept that I will never vote, have a passport, and many jobs are out of the question.  Now with information at your fingertips, I fear the day my son will find out and I'll have to explain what happened to him when he was a young child. Or my neighbor, boss, or friend, anyone can get this information.  I think about this everyday and it rules my every thought.  I have a written statement from my CPS worker who was assigned to my case that states he believes I was innocent and my state appointed attourney told me she very well believes that I was innocent.  She advised me to plead guilty though because false confessions are very hard to prove innocent.  I was young and made some poor choices ...it happened 12yrs ago.  I'm depressed and mortified that this crime ever happened and that it is attached to my name.  I'm a very devoted mother and after that happened miraculously I never lost custody of my son.  And it has definitely made me a better mother.  My life was put into perspective after that happened.  My roomate who did this to my son  was never my boyfriend.  He was strickly a roomate.  I noticed marks on my sons legs and took him to the doctor.  Chris was left with my son while I went grocery shopping and my son was screaming horribly when I came back.  He was too young to talk and I made some really stupid choices.  Many regrets ...many many:(!

July 16, 2007, 9:53 pm CDT

false confessions

I know first hand false confessions exist.  My son was abused years ago by my roomate.  I was interrogated and made a false confession to burning my son.  It has forever changed my life.   .  For a long time I was able to sweep it under the rug and accept that I will never vote, have a passport, and many jobs are out of the question.  Now with information at your fingertips, I fear the day my son will find out and I'll have to explain what happened to him when he was a young child. Or my neighbor, boss, or friend, anyone can get this information.  I think about this everyday and it rules my every thought.  I have a written statement from my CPS worker who was assigned to my case that states he believes I was innocent and my state appointed attourney told me she very well believes that I was innocent.  She advised me to plead guilty though because false confessions are very hard to prove innocent.  I was young and made some poor choices ...it happened 12yrs ago.  I'm depressed and mortified that this crime ever happened and that it is attached to my name.  I'm a very devoted mother and after that happened miraculously I never lost custody of my son.  And it has definitely made me a better mother.  My life was put into perspective after that happened.  My roomate who did this to my son  was never my boyfriend.  He was strickly a roomate.  I noticed marks on my sons legs and took him to the doctor.  Chris was left with my son while I went grocery shopping and my son was screaming horribly when I came back.  He was too young to talk and I made some really stupid choices.  Many regrets ...many many:(!

January 3, 2008, 3:27 pm CST

UP-DATE ON Marty Tankleff Case Featured On This Episode

Marty Tankleff Was Released From Prison Dec 27, 2007 after spending 17years locked up for a crime he didn't do.

On Jan 2,2008 They Dropped ALL Charges Against Marty!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR MARTY!!!

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | Next Page | Last Page