Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Mega Moochers

Number of Replies: 270
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:50:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 1/10/07) Dr. Phil takes on a different kind of moocher … the Mega Moocher! Not only do these extreme freeloaders refuse to work -- decades at a time -- but they expect you to support them and their entire family forever! Connie says her 33-year-old son, Richard, is so lazy and selfish that he actually found a way to put her out of her own home, so he could move his family of five in. Connie and her husband, Rick, say they have paid over $30,000 in the last 18 months to support Richard, and they have had enough. Is an eviction the only way to get him out? And can Connie live with the guilt, knowing it could leave her three grandchildren homeless as well? Then, Janelle wants her brother, Jeff, to stop mooching off their 91-year-old grandfather, who has been supporting him for 18 years. Jeff says he has no need to work because he doesn’t have kids. Will this be the day these guests put an end to their family members’ freeloading ways? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 11, 2007, 2:12 pm CDT

Should the show have looked deeper?

Having a family member with Asperberger's Syndrome, these "moochers" appear to have all the ingredients. Perhaps the show should have looked at how to help these individuals.

People suffering from Asperberger's syndrome see absolutely nothing wrong with their lifestyle because they can't! They are missing a key ingredient to social skills and living. They are quite happy with life as they know it.

June 11, 2007, 2:36 pm CDT

Can I say "GET REAL RICHARD!!"

This 33 year old BOY needs to grow up and become a man, a husband and a father that he is supposed to be!!!  I am a 31 year old single mom and I was appaul when he gave the excuse of injections and might needing a spinal fusion as the reason why he isn't working!!! If i was there on the show that day...you would have heard me tell him off!!!  Back in Sept 2000, I was in a very severe car accident which made me have several facial reconstructive surgeries along with trying to find out what was wrong with my back! For 14 months I was a guinea pig for 4 doctors taking tons of medications, getting spinal taps, nerve injections, pain management, physical therapy, and having seizures. Meanwhile, I WAS working 50 hours a week, taking care of my 2 year old daughter, living on my own with NO HELP from anyone!!! Turned out in Nov 2001 I had a spinal fusion from L3 to S1 due to my spine being severed in the car accident 14 months earlier. I had my surgery Nov 11 and on Nov 21st, jut 10 days later,I was back at work FULL TIME!! Richard is a joke!! I feel bad for his mom, Connie, that he is using his children as a guilt trip to stay a moocher!! I would love to face off with this boy and teach him how to be a man!!!

June 11, 2007, 2:38 pm CDT

It happened to me too

Oh my God! This happened to me.

There’s a predatory man in Taos named Markus whose story is exactly the same as Richard. I refer to Markus as a predator in the sense that he knows how to get himself taken care of and he makes a career of looking for vulnerable women who he can charm and then free-load off of.

He has two children from two such relationships and he contributes nothing to their welfare- doesn’t even see them. I wish I could get him on the show but I am too embarrassed that he conned me. In the end it only amounted to $4000 but I could just kick myself. Markus always seems to have cancer and the cancer never gets worse, and it never heals. That’s why he says he can’t work. When you confront him he acts like he's in pain and yells, "You forget, I live in a lot of pain!"  Then he emotionally abuses you with lines like, "You're using me to beat yourself up" and once he's comfy and situated in your house, all his sentences seem to begin with "you know what your problem is..."  Prior to that you are the greatest woman who ever lived. "You are on the top of my list" is what he calls it. And every woman in his past is at fault for everything. He has never done anything wrong.

Also, he has groomed himself to look like a Native American. He is not but he uses this with the white women he preys on- he says to them that they owe him for the past transgressions of other whites.

All of this was over and done with a year ago for me but I have heard that he is at it again, here, in Taos- using the cancer story and everything.

June 11, 2007, 2:56 pm CDT

Dr. Phil Misses the Mark

IT is obvious to anybody with a little medical background that the man who is mooching off his 90-some year old grandfather is suffering from a profound mental illness.  Schizophrenia would be my guess.  I've see the MO and the blank face, the absolute inability to assymilate socially.  This guy has a problem much larger than mooching.  He isn't tapping into resources that could help him be part of society, even marginally. 

June 11, 2007, 3:23 pm CDT

My Brother the 40 year old MOOCH!

My mother and I have been arguing constantly since my brother moved home with her.  He was out on his own, well had his girlfriend/then wife take care of him,.  After a year she threw him out and I will leave out the pathetic details of the months to follow but he ended up filing bankrupcy and living home with my mom.  He has taken over the household, and he does not contribute to their living expenses.  He was hurt on the job a few years ago and has not worked since pending legal action.   I used to feel bad for him but my mother is on a small fixed income and he totally takes advantage of her.  He worked a good job and does not have a dime to show for it.  There is a lot to say about parenting and environment, but I guess I wanted more from life, and knew if someone was not showing me the way, I would learn for myself, save and invest.  I have always provided for my mother but I refuse to now that she is enabling that situation.  We do everything for her and she thinks I am a horrible person because I don't make him my personal charity.  I am newly remarried and this is a big point of contention in my relationship.  When he was on drugs we found him in our bedroom trying to steal from us meds etc.  We do agree that if she were not around he would be homeless as we will never take him in (he has boundary issues also as mom always gave him whatever he wanted because "he did not have a father").  Dad & Mom divorced I was 3 he was 1.   I try not to dump on my father but sometimes can't help it.  I feel like I was left holding the bag and there is no way out.  She will not have a relationship with me unless I have one with him.  I really can't do it anymore.  We have given him numerous chances only to be disappointed each time. 

I saw on the show tonight I have to just let it go and let her realize what he is doing.  It is very hard.  I often want to put my fist threw a wall because of the anger inside me.

June 11, 2007, 3:30 pm CDT

GROW UP!

oh boy, do I hope Dr.Phil throws the book at this so called man Richard. Where is his girlfriend, doesn't she feel guilty! Throw him out!  It is the only thing that he will understand. Although he will probabley make up some excuse to make it not his fault. I really do not understand people who can live like this. It really bafles me, that so called adults can live like this.

June 11, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

Yep

Quote From: dagace

I can't do anything but laugh when I watch the show on moochers.........Get a LIFE PEOPLE
Oh boy I couldn't have said it better. LOL

June 11, 2007, 3:33 pm CDT

Oh My Goodness

I could relate to the sister who has a moocher for a brother. My brother is 46 years old and has been living with my dad and not paying a dime. He is happy just working whenever he feels like it. My dad pays his bills and my dad is too big hearted to say No. All the while my dad tells me " I would do it for you ". And my reply is " I would never ask you to". I don't see how we could have been raised by the same parents. I'm hardworking and own my own home and he works maybe 15 hours a week. Maybe the problem is the fact that my dad never told him no. It drives me crazy but Dr. Phil made me realize that it wasn't my place to tell him  to pay rent it is my dads so I'm butting out unless my dad asks for my help. I will keep a eye on his finances since I am the one who is in charge of all his finances. Thanks Dr. Phil.

Janice McBryar

June 11, 2007, 3:44 pm CDT

Where are they Now?

It would be real interesting to know if those two moochers turned their lives around after being on Dr.Phil's show in January.  I remember them well.....I have a stepson who might be a clone of the brother living off Grandpa.  He managed to grow up at 46 yrs of age...finally, & is doing well now with a job, new car, dignity & responsibilities.  He still has only himself to worry about, lives in a dump & doesn't worry about things like medical insurance, but at least, he's working fulltime now.  I'll bet the extreme moochers in this show are still probably mooching off someone!   Was it just me, or did the brother not seem to have "anyone there" behind his eyes?

June 11, 2007, 3:46 pm CDT

No guilt

Quote From: angelface_

oh boy, do I hope Dr.Phil throws the book at this so called man Richard. Where is his girlfriend, doesn't she feel guilty! Throw him out!  It is the only thing that he will understand. Although he will probabley make up some excuse to make it not his fault. I really do not understand people who can live like this. It really bafles me, that so called adults can live like this.
There's one thing you need to understand about moochers.....the word "guilt" is not in their vocabulary.  They only want who they're mooching off of to feel guilt.

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | Next | Last