Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Mega Moochers

Number of Replies: 270
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:50:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 1/10/07) Dr. Phil takes on a different kind of moocher … the Mega Moocher! Not only do these extreme freeloaders refuse to work -- decades at a time -- but they expect you to support them and their entire family forever! Connie says her 33-year-old son, Richard, is so lazy and selfish that he actually found a way to put her out of her own home, so he could move his family of five in. Connie and her husband, Rick, say they have paid over $30,000 in the last 18 months to support Richard, and they have had enough. Is an eviction the only way to get him out? And can Connie live with the guilt, knowing it could leave her three grandchildren homeless as well? Then, Janelle wants her brother, Jeff, to stop mooching off their 91-year-old grandfather, who has been supporting him for 18 years. Jeff says he has no need to work because he doesn’t have kids. Will this be the day these guests put an end to their family members’ freeloading ways? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2007, 1:26 pm CST

from xray79

Quote From: meviperchic

Yea I know ... My sister raised her kids doing every thing for them ....And those kids did not know how to do anything ...Both the boys married strong women thank goodness and they dont cater to them and they are doing real good,,,but the daughter is helpless and she married a helpless man who has a helpless family and between my neice and her husband and his family they have depleted all of my sister s and bils money ...But I was told it was none of my business so I stay out of it and they know not to ask me for a cent...

What really makes me sick is that my daughter is dating an abusive, manipulating moocher and puts him in front of her own 2yr old baby.  I am raising my granddaughter because I will not allow her to be near this JERK!!  And what a jerk my daughter is being.  I truly did NOT raise her to turn out with her priorities so screwed up.  I also did not raise her around this kind of guy.  Love can be so blind, especially when you are young, but I still see NO EXCUSE for her allowing this piece of garbage into her life and then putting her own daughter on the back burner.  I never did that to her, I am SO DISGUSTED with my daughter and her nasty boyfriend!!!  Trust me, people don't always do what they do just because of how they are raised. Other things such as environment, and just basically having a mind of their own, and maybe we are all born with some certain characteristics in our soul to a certain point, and our experiences can effect us that may have nothing to do with our upbringing. 

BOTTOM LINE, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO OPEN MY DAUGHTER'S EYES???   Or is she just too selfish and ignorant that only time will tell on what she does because she may just have to learn her lessons on her own???  If she chooses to allow this kind of guy in her life is one thing, but having a baby adds to the pain of it for me!!!  How dare either of them not to think about the baby first!!!!  And his controlling and manipulative ways makes me SICK

January 10, 2007, 1:27 pm CST

Double wammy here

My brother has mooched off of my mom for a long time.  He has finally started trying to live on his own without running to mommy for more money.  He has ADHD and my mom comes up with excuses for him all the time and then with him having two children she wanted to always make sure that my niece and nephew had food in their stomach and clothes on their back which is fine but I am sure that if he knew she was not going to hand over money, he would spend his money more wisely.

ON another note, my grandmother also has a son that is 50 and has mooched off of her for the longest but that's not all.  He is a big time alcohlic and uses drugs so he has been verbally abusive to this poor 80+ year old lady well I finally had enough and due to his criminal history I finally got him locked up and it looks like he is going to be sitting in prison and grandma will be able to finally live her life.  :)

January 10, 2007, 1:29 pm CST

Richard

I feel for the mom. If you could reach thru the tv I honestly alot of us would be  wanting to shake him or slap him & say WAKE UP!
Anyways, Dr Phil has his hands full today. That guy ( Richard) don't stand a chance &  to use the kids as a weapon is JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!!!!!

January 10, 2007, 1:32 pm CST

mega moocher

This guy needs to get a job and let his mother have her house back. If he goes and applies for a job this guy will keep using his back for an excuse and won't get a job to get out. He is lazy. If he would keep the kids from their grandmother then he is the worst person on earth.

January 10, 2007, 1:44 pm CST

future 27-year old BIL still lives at home

I will marry my fiance this September. I love his family, and while my fiance is hardworking and independent, his brother is not. My brother-in-law-to-be, I'll call him "Bill," has a potentially deadly health condition, and perhaps that's why his parents enable and coddle him. Bill does not work, has not gone to school, and won't even drive to my fiance's house to have dinner (he says he's afraid to drive). All that he does is stay at home. My fiance complains about it all the time, and can't believe the lengths that his parents have gone to to keep their child so dependent and dysfunctional.

I like Bill, yet he definitely lacks social and life skills--he seems to have the emotional maturity of a 17-year old, and the appearance of one, too--and I'm afraid that when my future in-laws are too infirm to take care of him--they're in their late 50's, early 60's--Bill will then become our dependent.

What to do in this case? I have told my fiance that he really needs to speak with his parents about what will happen to Bill in the event of their unexpected deaths (knock on wood and God forbid), or in the event of their natural deaths in old age. I have told my fiance that he should recommend his parents seek counseling on how to deal with this situation, because I know his mother is not happy with it. Yet, I cannot state my opinion on this matter; I am certain that if I did, I would cause a rift between me and my future in-laws. They are good people, but old-fashioned people, and don't believe in therapy or counseling.

Any advice?

January 10, 2007, 1:47 pm CST

It IS Janettle's business

There are lots of reasons why it is her business, and perhaps this will seem like the most calous one, but I think it's valid.  She is the "good" child and she's spent her whole life watching the "bad" child get rewarded.  Do you know how hard that is?  How insulting?  How unjust?  And just from a practical standpoint, he is sucking all the money out of his whole family, when, upon their passing, she should have a right to an equal inheritance.   That is no small thing.  Why should she stand by and let him suck all the money out of their family - not to mention all the attention.  It's not right.

January 10, 2007, 1:47 pm CST

moochers

Most moochers have the attitude that every body owes  them something...Such bullcrap...But what gets me are the people that allows them to mooch...I have moochers in my family and I refuse to help those that won't help themselves...I don't owe them anything....

January 10, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

This has nothing to do with todays show but im hoping its a good thing I posted this

January 10, 2007, 2:07 pm CST

Moochers

Quote From: xray79

What really makes me sick is that my daughter is dating an abusive, manipulating moocher and puts him in front of her own 2yr old baby.  I am raising my granddaughter because I will not allow her to be near this JERK!!  And what a jerk my daughter is being.  I truly did NOT raise her to turn out with her priorities so screwed up.  I also did not raise her around this kind of guy.  Love can be so blind, especially when you are young, but I still see NO EXCUSE for her allowing this piece of garbage into her life and then putting her own daughter on the back burner.  I never did that to her, I am SO DISGUSTED with my daughter and her nasty boyfriend!!!  Trust me, people don't always do what they do just because of how they are raised. Other things such as environment, and just basically having a mind of their own, and maybe we are all born with some certain characteristics in our soul to a certain point, and our experiences can effect us that may have nothing to do with our upbringing. 

BOTTOM LINE, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO OPEN MY DAUGHTER'S EYES???   Or is she just too selfish and ignorant that only time will tell on what she does because she may just have to learn her lessons on her own???  If she chooses to allow this kind of guy in her life is one thing, but having a baby adds to the pain of it for me!!!  How dare either of them not to think about the baby first!!!!  And his controlling and manipulative ways makes me SICK

Thank goodness your grandchild has you...and you are right you don't always live the way you were raised....I am very lucky that my daughter and her husband are very good to their children...and honestly not having to go through that I don't know what I would do except I knoww I too would take the child...It seems she is just going to have to find out the hard way ...I would guess since you at least have the baby out of danger I would just tell  her that when she grows up and learns the true meaning of love then she can be apart of her childs life but not while she is still with the Jerk....I truly hope that happens ...Bless you for taking the baby...Cause I know people that do not care...grandchild or not...I truly hope everything works out real soon for the best.....

January 10, 2007, 2:10 pm CST

be thankful you have your son/brother

I just lost my 27 yr old son on Nov. 14.   He was a firefighter, owned his own home, was preparing for his marriage/wedding. HOWEVER, if he had still lived at home I wouldn't of cared. My husband and I would give everything we own to have him back. Moms and sisters be glad you have your child/brother reguardless what he doing with his life. Think about if he died tonight, what you  would feel?  Get off their back and treasure the time you have with him. It all boils down to money. Like I said before money cannot bring him back if he is dead.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last