Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Mega Moochers

Number of Replies: 270
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:50:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 1/10/07) Dr. Phil takes on a different kind of moocher … the Mega Moocher! Not only do these extreme freeloaders refuse to work -- decades at a time -- but they expect you to support them and their entire family forever! Connie says her 33-year-old son, Richard, is so lazy and selfish that he actually found a way to put her out of her own home, so he could move his family of five in. Connie and her husband, Rick, say they have paid over $30,000 in the last 18 months to support Richard, and they have had enough. Is an eviction the only way to get him out? And can Connie live with the guilt, knowing it could leave her three grandchildren homeless as well? Then, Janelle wants her brother, Jeff, to stop mooching off their 91-year-old grandfather, who has been supporting him for 18 years. Jeff says he has no need to work because he doesn’t have kids. Will this be the day these guests put an end to their family members’ freeloading ways? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2007, 2:12 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: ltbowl

This guy needs to get a job and let his mother have her house back. If he goes and applies for a job this guy will keep using his back for an excuse and won't get a job to get out. He is lazy. If he would keep the kids from their grandmother then he is the worst person on earth.

Yea he should be led to the Gallows for being such an evil person LOL..... I Think the sister needs to leave the "Engine man" alone so he can just enjoy his life!!

January 10, 2007, 2:13 pm CST

MEGA MOOCHER

I HAVE A BROTHER WHO HAS SERIOUS PROBLEMS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I FEEL IT ISN'T MY PROBLEM, BUT I LOVE HIM AND HATE SEEING THE PATH HE HAS BEEN TAKING FOR A WHILE. EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAS HELPED HIM IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY. I LIVE IN A DIFFERENT STATE THAN THE REST OF MY FAMILY, I MOVED HIM UP HERE WITH ME SO THAT HE COULD GET A FRESH START AND GET HIS LIFE TOGETHER.  WELL A YEAR WENT BY AND HE WAS STILL AS WORTHLESS AS BEFORE. I HAVE HELPED HIM IN SO MANY WAYS AND HE TREATED ME LIKE I WAS NOTHING. HE DIDN'T LIKE THE RULES I HAD IN MY HOME SO HE WOULD SNEAK AROUND AND GO AGAINST EVERYTHING I SAID. LET ME JUST SAY THAT HE IS ALMOST 26, LIVING WITH HIS YOUNGER SISTER(ME) THAT HAS 2 KIDS AND A HUSBAND. HE PUT MY THROUGH A REALLY HARD TIME, SO HARD THAT WE WOULD GET INTO FIGHTS. EVENTUALLY I HAD TO KICK HIM OUT WHICH LED TO ME HAVING TO CALL MY IN LAWS TO GET HIM OUT. NE WAYS HIS PROBLEM IS, IS THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO WORK, WHEN HE GETS MONEY THE FIRST THING ON HIS MIND IS ALCOHOL. HE HAS BEEN HOMELESS AND JOBLESS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS. HE DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO HELP HIMSELF, INSTEAD HE CALLS THE FAMILY AND LAYS GUILT TRIPS ON THEM. EVENTUALLY THEY GIVE IN AND SEND HIM MONEY, WITH GOOD INTENTIONS FOR FOOD. INSTEAD OF GETTING FOOD OR A PLACE TO SLEEP FOR THE NIGHT HE GETS ALCOHOL. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I FEEL IF MY FAMILY KEEPS DOING THIS, THEN HE WILL NEVER LEARN, EVEN THOUGH YOU WOULD THINK THAT HE WOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED.  HE NEVER COMES OUT AND ASKS FOR ANYTHING. HE HAS A WAY OF MANIPULATIONG AND MAKING EVERYONE FEEL BAD. AND WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG HE HAS AN EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING OR IT'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT. HE'S CONSTANTLY SETTING AROUND FEELING SORRY FOR HIMSELF INSTEAD OF GETTING OFF HIS BUTT AND DOING SOMETHING.  HE HAS THREATENED SUICIDE SO MANY TIMES, BUT I'M JUST AT THE POINT OF NOT BELIEVING ANYTHING THAT COMES OUT OF HIS MOUTH. I HONESTLY DON'T THINK HE HAS THE GUTS TO DO ANYTHING TO HIMSELF, IT'S JUST ANOTHER WAY OF MANIPULATION FOR HIM. HE ALWAYS WANTS SOMEONE TO FEEL SORRY FOR HIM,. IT'S ALWAYS GOT TO BE ABOUT HIM OR IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD. I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP ON WHAT TO DO. I WAS HOPING TO GET SOME GOOD ADVICE. HOPEFULLY DR. PHIL WILL READ THIS AND CONSIDER THIS TO BE IMPORTANT AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. HE NEEDS HELP, BUT NO ONE CAN HELP HIM CAUSE HE DON'T WANT TO HELP HIMSELF.    PLEASE HELP!!!!

January 10, 2007, 2:15 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: meviperchic

Most moochers have the attitude that every body owes  them something...Such bullcrap...But what gets me are the people that allows them to mooch...I have moochers in my family and I refuse to help those that won't help themselves...I don't owe them anything....
What you usually have is an unfortunate mix of personalities in these situations. You have one personality that is a sponge and another that is too nice for it's own good....

January 10, 2007, 2:35 pm CST

an employed moocher

My significant other's brother is employed and still mooches. He comes to our house every week-end(my boyfriend says it keeps his brother out of trouble) and eats 3 meals a day here and sleeps here. He never brings any food, pop ect. He doesn't make the bed or take the sheets off. He willsleep on top of folded clean sheets if I dont put them on the bed. He uses our shampoo, soap ect. Takes  a shower every day and showers and eats before he leaves to go back to his place.I have asked him tocontribute to the groceries but he doesn't. My boyfriend sees nothing wrong with it (it's only a few more cans ofpop or 2 more pork chops.

January 10, 2007, 2:39 pm CST

mega moochers

I found this show very interesting.  Now I don't feel like I'm the only one who has a mega moocher in the family!  My 40 year old nephew lived with my mother, his grandmother, for about 25 years....never keeping a job longer than 6 months and unemployed most of the time.  He never paid rent or helped her in any way.  He was verbally abusive to her and her mentally challenged son, my brother, who lived with her.  When she started suffering from dementia, he talked her into signing (sole signee) for a $50,000 loan for him, placing a lein on her house, which had been paid for for over 45 years!   Me and my other siblings didn't do anything because Mom wouldn't let us say anything against him for years, and my nephew's dad, a brother to me, allowed him to live there and even got some of the money from the $50,000 loan.  I stepped in when I realized my mother could no longer pay her bills and needed help.  I got Power of Attorney and was able to take over her finances, but not before he took an additional $5,000 from her by having her sign her name to her checks and he filled the rest in for whatever he wanted.   We had to sell her house to pay off the debt he incurred on her...I had to get a lawyer to help me get him out of the house when it sold!    He now lives with his dad...the brother who didn't want to have to put up with him all those years, but allowed him to abuse and take advantage of his own mother!  My nephew is an alcoholic and to my knowledge, still doesn't have a job.  My mother and mentally challenged brother have only their Social Security checks to live on because of him.  So I certainly can relate to this show...though it's sad to see some people have no trouble taking full advantage of others.

January 10, 2007, 2:45 pm CST

moochers

I would like to tell the  first "moocher" if he really wants to find a job he should come to Southeast Texas or Louisiana.  There is a "help wanted" sign on almost every business in this area.  This area is still trying to recover from the hurricanes of late 2005.

Jeff (the second moocher) is not only a moocher but he is an abuser.  I retired from the  Adult Protective Services of Texas and Jeff should be reported to Adult Protective in the state where he lives.  I suspect that he is mentally/emotionally abusing his grandfather as well as exploiting him.

January 10, 2007, 2:46 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

What do you do when the tables are turned, and it is the parents who are mooching on a child?  My parents have lived off my sister and her husband since about 1990.  My sister provided them with a house to live in.  As far as I know, my parents have never paid rent, or contributed for food, utilities, etc.  I am the oldest child, and left home immediately after graduation from high school.  I have supported myself since I was 14 years old, at my parent's insistence, and married at age 18.  Now, they are living off my younger sister (who is 7 years younger than I am, and married at 16 in order to leave home), after they virtually threw my brother (3 years younger) and I out when we were teens.  My mother died in March, 2006, and my father is now living in my sister's house.  I will not support my father,  however, I have told my sister I will help find a nursing home for my father.  I do not know how to help my sister out from in under the situation. 

January 10, 2007, 2:51 pm CST

moochers

Quote From: purplepenny

What you usually have is an unfortunate mix of personalities in these situations. You have one personality that is a sponge and another that is too nice for it's own good....
Yep you are right....thats a good way to put it.......

January 10, 2007, 2:51 pm CST

In every relationship...

In every relationship, you have a dominant personality and a passive personality (like in a conversation).  The passive personality in this case needs to kick the dominant personIality's butt!  I wonder if she can call the cops on him (doesn't she have a restraining order against him?).  I'd let him rot in prison before he ever set foot in my house again! LOL....

January 10, 2007, 2:52 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: halfpint63056

I HAVE A BROTHER WHO HAS SERIOUS PROBLEMS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I FEEL IT ISN'T MY PROBLEM, BUT I LOVE HIM AND HATE SEEING THE PATH HE HAS BEEN TAKING FOR A WHILE. EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAS HELPED HIM IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY. I LIVE IN A DIFFERENT STATE THAN THE REST OF MY FAMILY, I MOVED HIM UP HERE WITH ME SO THAT HE COULD GET A FRESH START AND GET HIS LIFE TOGETHER.  WELL A YEAR WENT BY AND HE WAS STILL AS WORTHLESS AS BEFORE. I HAVE HELPED HIM IN SO MANY WAYS AND HE TREATED ME LIKE I WAS NOTHING. HE DIDN'T LIKE THE RULES I HAD IN MY HOME SO HE WOULD SNEAK AROUND AND GO AGAINST EVERYTHING I SAID. LET ME JUST SAY THAT HE IS ALMOST 26, LIVING WITH HIS YOUNGER SISTER(ME) THAT HAS 2 KIDS AND A HUSBAND. HE PUT MY THROUGH A REALLY HARD TIME, SO HARD THAT WE WOULD GET INTO FIGHTS. EVENTUALLY I HAD TO KICK HIM OUT WHICH LED TO ME HAVING TO CALL MY IN LAWS TO GET HIM OUT. NE WAYS HIS PROBLEM IS, IS THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO WORK, WHEN HE GETS MONEY THE FIRST THING ON HIS MIND IS ALCOHOL. HE HAS BEEN HOMELESS AND JOBLESS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS. HE DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO HELP HIMSELF, INSTEAD HE CALLS THE FAMILY AND LAYS GUILT TRIPS ON THEM. EVENTUALLY THEY GIVE IN AND SEND HIM MONEY, WITH GOOD INTENTIONS FOR FOOD. INSTEAD OF GETTING FOOD OR A PLACE TO SLEEP FOR THE NIGHT HE GETS ALCOHOL. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I FEEL IF MY FAMILY KEEPS DOING THIS, THEN HE WILL NEVER LEARN, EVEN THOUGH YOU WOULD THINK THAT HE WOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED.  HE NEVER COMES OUT AND ASKS FOR ANYTHING. HE HAS A WAY OF MANIPULATIONG AND MAKING EVERYONE FEEL BAD. AND WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG HE HAS AN EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING OR IT'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT. HE'S CONSTANTLY SETTING AROUND FEELING SORRY FOR HIMSELF INSTEAD OF GETTING OFF HIS BUTT AND DOING SOMETHING.  HE HAS THREATENED SUICIDE SO MANY TIMES, BUT I'M JUST AT THE POINT OF NOT BELIEVING ANYTHING THAT COMES OUT OF HIS MOUTH. I HONESTLY DON'T THINK HE HAS THE GUTS TO DO ANYTHING TO HIMSELF, IT'S JUST ANOTHER WAY OF MANIPULATION FOR HIM. HE ALWAYS WANTS SOMEONE TO FEEL SORRY FOR HIM,. IT'S ALWAYS GOT TO BE ABOUT HIM OR IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD. I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP ON WHAT TO DO. I WAS HOPING TO GET SOME GOOD ADVICE. HOPEFULLY DR. PHIL WILL READ THIS AND CONSIDER THIS TO BE IMPORTANT AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. HE NEEDS HELP, BUT NO ONE CAN HELP HIM CAUSE HE DON'T WANT TO HELP HIMSELF.    PLEASE HELP!!!!
Your last sentence says it all.  Re-read it.  No one can help him because he doesn't want to help himself.  Until he is ready to admit he needs professional help, he cannot be helped or changed.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last