Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Mega Moochers

Number of Replies: 270
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:50:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 1/10/07) Dr. Phil takes on a different kind of moocher … the Mega Moocher! Not only do these extreme freeloaders refuse to work -- decades at a time -- but they expect you to support them and their entire family forever! Connie says her 33-year-old son, Richard, is so lazy and selfish that he actually found a way to put her out of her own home, so he could move his family of five in. Connie and her husband, Rick, say they have paid over $30,000 in the last 18 months to support Richard, and they have had enough. Is an eviction the only way to get him out? And can Connie live with the guilt, knowing it could leave her three grandchildren homeless as well? Then, Janelle wants her brother, Jeff, to stop mooching off their 91-year-old grandfather, who has been supporting him for 18 years. Jeff says he has no need to work because he doesn’t have kids. Will this be the day these guests put an end to their family members’ freeloading ways? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 9, 2007, 6:02 am CST

Kick their sorry asses out today!

If a person (man or woman) isn't working but just sitting around mooching off other working people, they should be kicked out!  I agree with folks who say get a job and learn a good work ethic at a young age.  I was born poor but I started working in farming jobs (tobacco, cotton, cabbage) at a very young age.  My parents always told me todo the best job I could, no matter what the work was.  We instilled that into our daughter and she is doing the same to her daughters.  No able bodied person deserves a free ride.  And the people who allow it to happen are almost as bad because they allow this to happen and continue.

January 9, 2007, 9:53 am CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: purplepenny

"what about a government that doesn't allow our youth to work and help support the family"

If you have to have your kids work to support the family then MAYBE you don't have enough money to be poppin' kids out!

Kids can get jobs at 14,15 and 16 years old...before that they can do things like mow lawns and shovel snow and babysit. This is enough work for kids to learn about work ethic. What beyond this are you suggesting?

I grew up very poor, but not once did my parents ever take the money I earned to pay for anything, that money was mine!
lol short and to the point i may add  hehehe. but you are sooo correct even today i have to find a way to give my mother money to help her out, she would rather do with out than to think she were taking away from me.

January 9, 2007, 11:22 am CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

"what about a government that doesn't allow our youth to work and help support the family"

If you have to have your kids work to support the family then MAYBE you don't have enough money to be poppin' kids out!

Kids can get jobs at 14,15 and 16 years old...before that they can do things like mow lawns and shovel snow and babysit. This is enough work for kids to learn about work ethic. What beyond this are you suggesting?

I grew up very poor, but not once did my parents ever take the money I earned to pay for anything, that money was mine!
Yeah, I can't imagine asking my (minor children) to "help support the family" Tristan is involved in a community garden project that goes to market every Sat. in summer... for which he gets paid...he's always trying to "help out" (he's 11) i tell him, "Bless your heart" but if you're still living at home when you're 18 and out of school, then you can help out.

January 9, 2007, 12:01 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

i think what im wating to see on this show tomorrow is what these moochers see when they look in a mirrow.

January 9, 2007, 1:41 pm CST

moochers

My husband and I raised 4 children each time 1 turned 16 they went out and got a job....They also knew that when they graduated  they could still live at home but they were going to pay 100.00 a month for rent and that was just another way to teach them responsibility..it worked out real well no complaining and now they are all out on their own and they thank me and their dad all the time for helping them grow up responsible and they pay all their bills themselves.........

January 9, 2007, 3:37 pm CST

If i were her....

If i was the mother, i'd just let my son be homeless.  He's not gonna mooch off me!  Tough love.  He'd better grow up or die.  Sink or swim, i'd like to think of it as immersion therapy! 

It's a shame the grandchildren are involved, but if he's a man, he'll get a job and take care of them.  Otherwise, he's just using them as leverage to get back in mommy dearest's house.  She could take them in, just not her son.  Also, kick out the ppl he invited the live in the house with them.  His parents aren't going to be around forever, so i guess he'll try to find some other sucker who never saw it coming.  Ha!

January 9, 2007, 4:00 pm CST

Care givers aren't always paid...

I think it's really hard to get a  care giver /domestic type of personality out of the house  to work a regular job  once they've been care givers for 10 years and that can easily mean a teenager..Some parents take full advantage of their childrens empathy, sympathy and kindness..and they don't develop properly because of all the time they spent helping out..... This type  of child will  go nuts just thinking about the ones who need them...or who they think need  them  even against their own will...Sometimes the "complainer , parent..etc..or home owner  doesn't  even realize how much work a care giver /their loved one or their child.. is doing for them . The complainer won't   admit to needing the help as frequently as they need it..and they'll just complain..that's how they got the care giver/relative  to help them FOR FREE in the first place..by complaining...The reason why the complainers  don't admit to needing the care  giver type 's help  is because they don't want to appear needy., The care  giver who's been there helping out  forever ,....knows that  that he is  needed..And it can be emotionally draining to help people out especially  if it's psychological help that is needed..Even though the helpy  is complaining and calling the care giver a freeloader..the  need to help their loved ones  is stronger than the guilt that  the complainer is  trying to impose...That person who they call a free loader has probably  always been there for them emotionally and physically ..so they have no idea what it would be like if that person actually went out to work and the roles were switched..turning the complainer into more of the care giver/domestic  instead ...believe it or not...You teach people how to treat you  ..right so? ...I wonder what Dr. Phil would say about my theory...Don't forget..the people who are trying to get  the care giver to go to work..won't admit to how needy they actually  have been all of that childs life!..The  complainer was probably acting needy and   begging for attention all of that childs life!....Leading to them sticking around on into their 30's......I bet .                           .From someone who left home at 16 and 18 and 19..( it was made clear that I wasn't needed physically..but I spent the rest of my days on the phone being needed emotionally...by parents and then everyone else..It became a job..... xox Lori.. Psychology Rocks!

January 9, 2007, 4:32 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: meviperchic

My husband and I raised 4 children each time 1 turned 16 they went out and got a job....They also knew that when they graduated  they could still live at home but they were going to pay 100.00 a month for rent and that was just another way to teach them responsibility..it worked out real well no complaining and now they are all out on their own and they thank me and their dad all the time for helping them grow up responsible and they pay all their bills themselves.........
That is pretty much how it went down in my house and my two brothers and I are very hard workers and we all appreciate what we have.  I am a SAHM now, but my work ethic now translates into my home and raising my daughter. The older of my two younger brothers is a leading salesman at a great company and the younger one of the two works at a loading dock for a furniture store and he loves it, he's always loved physical work.

January 9, 2007, 4:39 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

Quote From: gwarrior6

If i was the mother, i'd just let my son be homeless.  He's not gonna mooch off me!  Tough love.  He'd better grow up or die.  Sink or swim, i'd like to think of it as immersion therapy! 

It's a shame the grandchildren are involved, but if he's a man, he'll get a job and take care of them.  Otherwise, he's just using them as leverage to get back in mommy dearest's house.  She could take them in, just not her son.  Also, kick out the ppl he invited the live in the house with them.  His parents aren't going to be around forever, so i guess he'll try to find some other sucker who never saw it coming.  Ha!

"If i was the mother, i'd just let my son be homeless.  He's not gonna mooch off me! "

I feel this way too...When I had a kid I only signed up for 20 years (give or take) of support...lol

January 9, 2007, 6:59 pm CST

01/10 Mega Moochers

"If i was the mother, i'd just let my son be homeless.  He's not gonna mooch off me! "

I feel this way too...When I had a kid I only signed up for 20 years (give or take) of support...lol
lol all i would like to know is where are all these parents that allow there children to do this to them  lol ,well hell there on dr phil  lol, boy oh boy my mother is 74 but if i tryed to pull that crap dr phil would be reading a collim on his show about a 74 year old woman kickin her 49 year old sons ass all over the state of georgia  lol, not to menchion the mud hole the size of texas she would stomp in my ass while she kicked it  hahahaha. how do these people live with themselvs.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last