Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Mega Moochers

Number of Replies: 270
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:50:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 1/10/07) Dr. Phil takes on a different kind of moocher … the Mega Moocher! Not only do these extreme freeloaders refuse to work -- decades at a time -- but they expect you to support them and their entire family forever! Connie says her 33-year-old son, Richard, is so lazy and selfish that he actually found a way to put her out of her own home, so he could move his family of five in. Connie and her husband, Rick, say they have paid over $30,000 in the last 18 months to support Richard, and they have had enough. Is an eviction the only way to get him out? And can Connie live with the guilt, knowing it could leave her three grandchildren homeless as well? Then, Janelle wants her brother, Jeff, to stop mooching off their 91-year-old grandfather, who has been supporting him for 18 years. Jeff says he has no need to work because he doesn’t have kids. Will this be the day these guests put an end to their family members’ freeloading ways? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 13, 2007, 9:18 am CDT

I guess I am not the only one...

Quote From: gus_1955

That second guy that was on the show was scary. I would be worried about him doing something really bad before it's all over. It would be interesting to know if he snapped out on his family and did something bad to them. Has anyone heard from him or the family lately? Is there a smell coming from the house??
I guess I am not the only one who had an uneasy feeling about the guy.

June 13, 2007, 9:40 am CDT

You are good.

Quote From: pearlhanna

Asperger's syndrome?  If he got off his "asper" he'd have a new syndrome called Iwannawork. 

Dr. Phil's theory; "can't change whatcha don't acknowledge" prevails.  Dr. Phil, sorry but I use that quote every chance I get.

I loved this.

I have a 25-year-old granddaughter who mooches off  her mother and anyone else who will let her. I won't.

Her excuse is her condition. She claims she is bi-polar as she looked up the symptoms on the internet.

June 13, 2007, 9:51 am CDT

Absolutely

Quote From: purplepenny

"what about a government that doesn't allow our youth to work and help support the family"

If you have to have your kids work to support the family then MAYBE you don't have enough money to be poppin' kids out!

Kids can get jobs at 14,15 and 16 years old...before that they can do things like mow lawns and shovel snow and babysit. This is enough work for kids to learn about work ethic. What beyond this are you suggesting?

I grew up very poor, but not once did my parents ever take the money I earned to pay for anything, that money was mine!

What does this person mean, the government won't let them work? Good excuse. I went to every house on my block that had older kids. I needed someone to mow the lawn. Guess what? They all said, "no."

Kids have to learn work ethics somewhere. They might as well start with yard work and go up from there, not try to get a job as a store manager.

As for kids helping themselves, more kids should be expected to help buy their school clothes and maybe we would have less selfishness and materialism among the young people.

June 13, 2007, 12:44 pm CDT

Grandpa

I dunno; maybe Grandpa's happy to have someone living in the house with him at age 91.  What if he "fell and couldn't get up," as the commercial says?  Some older folks living alone who have lots of money actually PAY people to live with them; they're called "paid live-in companions."  As for the other parent (the mother), I got the impression she was also glad to have the company in her house until she hooked up with the third hubby on the Internet (and what about his being three years younger than her son; isn't that a whole other show???).  I also suspect that if this hubby tanked, she'd be inviting them right back.  Quite possibly both "victims" of these so-called moochers are giving the "stay/go away" mixed message.  Esp. in the case of the grandfather, if he provides the old guy with company and safety, how much is it really costing for him to have his mattress on the floor of the basement?  Sis is worried about her inheritance; if the brother's been living there for the past 18 years, why is it suddenly a big problem just as grandad hits 91?

June 13, 2007, 3:54 pm CDT

Throw the bum out!

Of course Connie should throw Richard & the Grandchildren out! How else can she prove he's an unfit Father and get custody of the Grandchildren??

June 16, 2007, 10:52 am CDT

Crubside?

Quote From: catryan13

Of course Connie should throw Richard & the Grandchildren out! How else can she prove he's an unfit Father and get custody of the Grandchildren??

Curbside for children? Ouch. Is there a place the children can go until Richard gets his act together? I had to leave home at a young age for safety reasons, and it was so scary and lonely. Richard is a big boy who is perhaps afraid of work. I do pray for the whole family especially the guilt Connie must be carrying around at finally letting go and taking care of herself. There is so nothing wrong with that. I aslo had to leave people behind that I loved dearly in order to get healthy and live a full life. Praise God that he was there for me and he introduced me to a family life much fuller than I ever could of imagined. Connie, things will turn out for you, Richard, and your grandchildren.

In answering the quote, I'm not saying that the quoter said to curbside the family. It is just how I chose to title my message.  "Live each day as though it is your first." 

June 18, 2007, 7:08 am CDT

I'm with you!

Quote From: idamag

I was surprised when Dr. Phil asked the sister why it was any of her business what her brother was doing to his 90 something grandfather. We have laws against elder abuse and she has every right to want to protect her grandfather. If some lazy mooch was bleeding my grandfather dry, I would speak up, too.

I used to work for the Department of Health and Welfare. We had a case where an elderly man's druggie son was robbing him blind and no one noticed. He had his father have a garage sale because he said his father would be moving in with  him so he could take care of him. His father had played in a well-known movie and had a lot of memorabilia from that movie. The son sold it. He stole his grandfather's camping trailer and disappeared. Now, the man is homeless. His sister took him in. Finally, they put him in a nursing home. His son returned and took all the man's personal belongings. This is when the man's sister-in-law called elder abuse. When the social workers questioned him as to why he let this poor excuse for a human being rob him, he said he was afraid of him.

God bless the granddaughter for caring about her grandfather's well-being and shame on you, Dr. Phil, for questioning her motives.

Sometimes Dr. Phil becomes way to pontifical and "I know best, you know nothing" . He does tend to think much of himself.  I'm in the medical profession and there have been many times when we've called the police to protect an elder, trusting soul.  Elderly people sometimes HAVE no one else and put up with abuse rather than the fear of what can happen if they're alone.  Bless the sister for caring and bless you for caring too.  You and I have been there on the front lines, I wonder if  ol' doc Phil ever got his hands dirty!?

June 18, 2007, 8:43 pm CDT

You Made Them

The parents of moochers made them.  They did not start when the moocher was young enough to help them know the difference between need and want nor that the moment that the cord was cut at birth they became a single entity.   Growing up in my family was different (I am the mix of four cultures) but there is no way either my sibling or I would ever have thought of expecting anything from our parents apart from what we needed while we were growing up.  We did not get an allowance - we got a dollar a day each from the age of five providing we did our chores which were those things that are not all that important (wiping the clothesline wires, polishing the lawnmower blades and oiling them) but were expected to do those things important to living in a family home (keeping our bedroom clean and tidy, leaving our bathroom clean and tidy, folding and putting away the launddry, none of our things to be left outside, none of out stuff to be scattered around the house, and taking our turn at cooking and cleaning the kitchen - by the time we were in our teen we were great cooks and had to cook from scratch as in no packaged cake mixes nor thaw and cook pizzas).  At the age of 18 years we were out the door to college or work knowing we were welcome home for overnight stays at the weekend but were expected to help with the work around the house and supplying what we wanted to eat.

Dr Phil could point out this and that but the bottom line for all parents who look at their children is

YOU MADE THEM

July 4, 2007, 4:18 pm CDT

What is your opinion as a moocher?

I am not working because I am returning college student for a year now full time. I did work before for a few years doing dead end jobs but still lived at home but planning to move out after I am done with college. I hope I don't get bashed or hated on this post, just looking for some opinions.

October 5, 2007, 10:22 am CDT

Britney Spears

We hear enough about the outragious behavior of the celebities on such shows as Larry King and others. Most of us poor working folks are looking for a way to  solve our problems and a show on her is just palin boring

First | Prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next Page | Last Page