Message Boards

Topic : 06/22 Settle This!

Number of Replies: 321
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:52:36 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/12/07) How many times have you heard your spouse say, "I'm right, and you're wrong"? Dr. Phil's guests are in a stand-off, and they want him to settle their dispute once and for all! Carla says her dog, Thomas, is her number one priority, but her husband, Tony, says she's gone way overboard with her puppy love. Tony says that Thomas gets the run of the house, and Carla cuddles with Thomas in bed instead of him. Should Carla make room for Tony, or does Tony need to get over his canine envy? Next up is a family caught in a style war. Betty lets her 15- and 11-year-old daughters wear short shorts, high heels and thong underwear. Her husband, Richie, says he'd rather see them covered from head to toe. Does Richie need to get with the times and realize these girls are just dressing in style, or has Betty let the girls take it too far? Then, Christine says her husband, Kevin, is out five nights a week playing or coaching sports, leaving her home with their 1-year-old son. Kevin says he deserves to get away from the ruckus of a chaotic household, and Christine knew he was a jock when they got married. Can Kevin learn to say no to others and yes to his wife and child? And, Lisa says her husband, Erik's, passion for flying is too dangerous, and he needs to give it up now that they have three young sons. Erik says flying is in his blood and it’s safer than driving a car. When Dr. Phil shares a personal story, will it put Lisa at ease? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2007, 9:38 am CST

What to wear?

My grandma always told me "You wear the nicest thing you have to the nicest place you go".  Let's hope that's not the gutter.

January 8, 2007, 12:40 pm CST

Spoiled, but not rotten

The thing with my Phantom is that she does her own thing when everyone's sleeping. She does occasionally dirty the house (you know what I mean) and I do scold her when she does, but you know she doesn't remember what she did wrong even if the poo is an inch from her nose. Selective memory. She also likes to sleep on the couch and on my bed (again, while everyone's good n asleep at night) but we figured out a compromise, we bought a special couch bed for her to sleep in. As for the bed, I got a ratty blanket for her.

The real problem here is my dad who lets her win at everything. The best example is the first day we brought her in as a puppy.
"I don't want no *expletive* dog at the table!"
5 seconds later.
"Okay, maybe a little piece of toast."

The next pet I get I'll keep away from my dad so he or she will be properly disciplined.
It's normal to love your pet unconditionally, but like a kid, it will go bad if you spoil it too much and never discipline it. Phantom is currently 40 bad and 60 good.

January 8, 2007, 3:07 pm CST

01/12 Settle This!

Quote From: rosie52

I have 5 dogs, 4cats, and 1 parakeet. I love our pets, but I don't need them in bed with us. My husband and I have been married 32 years. We have 2 grown children and they only slept with us occasionally. Plus, my little Shih-tzu thinks he's my bodyguard anyway. He might really get the big-head if he started sleeping with us. I'm a stay-at- home housewife. I get plenty of quality time with my pets. The bed is for sleeping and other private stuff.
hehehehe  i know its wrong for me to poke fun at tony but it would smme in his case dog isnt mans best friend  lol, its a little mind that has to fear lousing his wife to mans best friend, my god tony needs to calm down, its only a dog, now if it were another man she were sleeping with i would say hell yeah get mad, but in all honesty if i were in tonys shoes i would have a talk with the dog and try to get him to share with me what its secret were in winning so much affection and attenchion from the woman i was married to  heheheheh, seems the dog is doing a lot better than he for now  hahahahaha.

January 8, 2007, 8:33 pm CST

my spouse is jealous of my dog too!

My dog chelsea is closer to me than anyone, my spouse gets jealous of all the attention I give her, she wears clothes, sunglasses, hats for 13 years, & she loves getting dressed to go out. She sleeps & guards me like a chasity belt, which is good, as I don't want to be fondled when I sleep, she will bite him if he trys! If he treated me with 1/2 the love she did I'd be a happy woman, but since football is top priority to watch, talking on his phone all the time, I spend all my time with my dog alone, but if he ever can plan a date out, a real night out that took time to plan out of the 5 block radious of our home, maybe he'd see how much love I have to spare!

January 8, 2007, 8:49 pm CST

Leave your dog at home

Quote From: ceildh1

I have to say "that would be the day a DOG came between my husband and I", and we have TWO of them.  But there are people in this world who use their companion animals as just that, their soul companions, and treat them BETTER than most of us treat our kids.  If they only understood exactly what they were doing to the dog.

Dogs are pack animals okay we all know that, but what most people don't understand is that the dogs look to us for LEADERSHIP, not equality.  In any dog pack there are alpha male and female, now that they are domesticated that becomes US, and they NEED to know that.

Spoiled dogs ( and the dog people can go on all they want) are ANNOYING.  Any dog trainer or breeder understands that, how many champion show dogs do you see jumping all over people trying to lick them, how many of the agility dogs do you see sitting there because they don't FEELlike doing it ( okay some have, I remember one border collie who stopped dead in the tunnel and decided to take a nap ).  There is NOTHING worse than going into someone's home and having Fido jumping all over me, mine are trained not to, also NO LICKING the face, if it can lick its butt, I don't want it licking my face, EWWWW.  Oh yeah, and as for their mouths being cleaner than ours, MYTH, Google it.

Spoiled dogs are looking for leadership, they tend to be nippy out of not knowing how to react to people or other dogs from a lack of socialization, lack of training makes a dog tense and nervous ( oh yeah, the reason you shouldn't let a dog sleep with you, the Alpha sleeps in their own space in any dog pack).  Dogs are NOT human and they are NOT children, we need to get over that, they need structure and dicipline , but most of all they need to know who Alpha is to become well adjusted dogs that are a PLEASURE to be around, even for the non-dog people.

Keep in mind some people are allergic, and some don't want your precious pooch all over them, and there are people who are absolutly PHOBIC of dogs, and your spoiled hyped up whatever, could mean years of therapy.

You are LIABLE if your pampered pet bites someone out of nervousness or just getting away with it with you, oh yeah and peeing and defecating all over the house is not only DISGUSTING, but a great way to spread intestinal parasites to your family, not to mention bacteria that can make you ill, HOUSEBREAKING will NOT kill or traumitize the dog.

But I wonder what the problem is when we forget about the human members of our families for the four legged ones? Don't get me wrong I LOVE my dogs ( and five cats, husband and two kids, I have a zoo), but if the house were burning, the animals are on their own until I am sure my kids are out.

Treat your dogs like dogs, they are NOT human, they will be much happier for it.

What is it with people now days that feel it is ok to bring their dog with them when they visit others? My husband and I have a beautiful new home. We have worked very hard to furnish it with the best. I absolutely hate it when people show up with their dogs and think nothing of it. Our Christmas Day was ruinned when my husbands  adult son brought his 90lb dog and refused to put him in his cage. The dinner I worked so hard to prepare was ruined with the dog running through the house barking and his master screaming at the top of his lungs for it to shut up. I asked my husband several times if he would ask his son to leave the dog at home but when that didn't work out then I asked if he could be put in the cage until the guest left. That didn't work either. So while the dog spread out on the floor to take his nap every one had to step over it. I agree with the lady who said there are people who don't appreciate dogs licking on them, sniffing their crotch etc. Then to top it off other guest showed up with their dog and just couldn't wait until we could see the dog in his new sweater. WOW that made my Christmas.

January 8, 2007, 8:50 pm CST

Chelsea

Quote From: polishgirl

My dog chelsea is closer to me than anyone, my spouse gets jealous of all the attention I give her, she wears clothes, sunglasses, hats for 13 years, & she loves getting dressed to go out. She sleeps & guards me like a chasity belt, which is good, as I don't want to be fondled when I sleep, she will bite him if he trys! If he treated me with 1/2 the love she did I'd be a happy woman, but since football is top priority to watch, talking on his phone all the time, I spend all my time with my dog alone, but if he ever can plan a date out, a real night out that took time to plan out of the 5 block radious of our home, maybe he'd see how much love I have to spare!
 Oh my goodness that is the cutest picture .What kind of dog is that cause it looks like my 2yr old rat terrer who by the way loves to get dressed up, infact my husband bought him a leather fighter pilot jacket for christmas and he wears it real proud he also has a santa hat and sits on santas lap to get his picture taken...gotta love the dogs but my dog has his own bed and that is not in mine....Love the picture.....

January 9, 2007, 8:42 am CST

01/12 Settle This!

Quote From: polishgirl

how on gods green earth could any one be jealous of such a darling pet, my real question is how in the world did you ever get her to pose for this picture heeheh, you have a special way with animals and it showes here, good job!

January 9, 2007, 10:01 am CST

01/12 Settle This!

Quote From: afraid

how on gods green earth could any one be jealous of such a darling pet, my real question is how in the world did you ever get her to pose for this picture heeheh, you have a special way with animals and it showes here, good job!
It probably depends now HOW MUCH attention the dog is getting compared to how much attention everyone else is getting.

January 9, 2007, 11:29 am CST

01/12 Settle This!

Quote From: purplepenny

It probably depends now HOW MUCH attention the dog is getting compared to how much attention everyone else is getting.
hahahaha  good point, but i for one could never be hurt to see the one i love show love to my pets, after all my pets are as much a part of the family as i. but not too many men think as i do, and for some reason seem to get angrey at there pets for being loved, the angrey spouces need help in a bad way  lol, hell my dog cant beat my time  lol.

January 9, 2007, 12:14 pm CST

Dogs

Quote From: cajunlady

What is it with people now days that feel it is ok to bring their dog with them when they visit others? My husband and I have a beautiful new home. We have worked very hard to furnish it with the best. I absolutely hate it when people show up with their dogs and think nothing of it. Our Christmas Day was ruinned when my husbands  adult son brought his 90lb dog and refused to put him in his cage. The dinner I worked so hard to prepare was ruined with the dog running through the house barking and his master screaming at the top of his lungs for it to shut up. I asked my husband several times if he would ask his son to leave the dog at home but when that didn't work out then I asked if he could be put in the cage until the guest left. That didn't work either. So while the dog spread out on the floor to take his nap every one had to step over it. I agree with the lady who said there are people who don't appreciate dogs licking on them, sniffing their crotch etc. Then to top it off other guest showed up with their dog and just couldn't wait until we could see the dog in his new sweater. WOW that made my Christmas.

First, I want to say that I love animals.  We have two dogs and 5 cats.  I am married (25 years), and we have 3 boys.  We have a zoo too.

Once, when our oldest son was a baby in the crawling and standing up stage, we went to my mother-in-law's house for Christmas dinner.  My husband's sister brought her precious schnauzer...cute dog.  They refused to put the dog in another room, so our son could crawl around on the floor.  Instead, they insisted he stay in the play pen, so the dog wouldn't bite him if our son got too close.  We hadn't learned yet how to be assertive, so we put up with this absurd situation.  I think there should be limits on just how much a dog can get away with.

I watched an episode of "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic channel.  It was a real eye-opener.  We've been trying for years to get our dogs to quit going ape when somebody comes to the door.  Shouting at them to shut up just added to the chaos.  The expert on the show showed a technique to gently show the dog who is the boss.  He touched the dog's chest and made a quiet "shooshing" sound.  The dog actually obeyed and got the message.  He did some other gentle tactics and showed the owners how to do it too.  The dog on the show previously barked and lunged at other dogs and went ape when one walked on the sidewalk in front of their house. 

To make a long story short...this guy's techniques have worked wonders on our dogs.  Next is to teach them to walk nicely on a leash. 

We would never consider bringing our dogs to somebody else's house.  If we are staying overnight for a visit, the dogs go to a kennel, or we get a pet sitter.

You're right, the dogs need to know who is boss...they want to have  a leader in their "pack", and that should be their humans.  Our dogs both sleep in bed with us, and my husband and I are OK with that...we also share the bed with some of the cats.  When we want to be intimate, the door is closed with the pets on the outside.

PS Our dogs don't own any clothing.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last