Message Boards

Topic : 06/22 Settle This!

Number of Replies: 321
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 05, 2007, 10:52:36 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/12/07) How many times have you heard your spouse say, "I'm right, and you're wrong"? Dr. Phil's guests are in a stand-off, and they want him to settle their dispute once and for all! Carla says her dog, Thomas, is her number one priority, but her husband, Tony, says she's gone way overboard with her puppy love. Tony says that Thomas gets the run of the house, and Carla cuddles with Thomas in bed instead of him. Should Carla make room for Tony, or does Tony need to get over his canine envy? Next up is a family caught in a style war. Betty lets her 15- and 11-year-old daughters wear short shorts, high heels and thong underwear. Her husband, Richie, says he'd rather see them covered from head to toe. Does Richie need to get with the times and realize these girls are just dressing in style, or has Betty let the girls take it too far? Then, Christine says her husband, Kevin, is out five nights a week playing or coaching sports, leaving her home with their 1-year-old son. Kevin says he deserves to get away from the ruckus of a chaotic household, and Christine knew he was a jock when they got married. Can Kevin learn to say no to others and yes to his wife and child? And, Lisa says her husband, Erik's, passion for flying is too dangerous, and he needs to give it up now that they have three young sons. Erik says flying is in his blood and it’s safer than driving a car. When Dr. Phil shares a personal story, will it put Lisa at ease? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 9, 2007, 12:23 pm CST

learning curve

Quote From: bert79

I don't know how you do it Dr. Phil?.Because my wife is right about everything and I willing to admit it even when I think she is wrong and she can be very wrong sometimes but I'm not going to tell her she is wrong,because I been married for a little over 30 years my wife is a great person.You might ask me whats so great about your wife,and I can tell you that If she can put up with my mom she has to be great,and besides that I love her,And after being with the same woman since 1975 Im not going to tell her that she is wrong about anything im going to agree to just about everything she says.Hey I found out it took me about 5 or 10 years or maybe a little longer.If you want to get along with the one you love then don't try picking talking fights the wife is always right even when she knows she wrong

Congratulations on 30 years...My husband and I are going on 26 years on Valentines Day.

We learned long ago to pick our battles...to know when to speak up and when to hold our tongues.  We have our share of "discussions" but not major fights.  Every marriage has to endure some rough waters.  Don't sweat the small stuff, and DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE.  My mom always said "don't let the sun set on your anger"...a quote from the Bible.  That is the best advice I ever got...work the problem out while it is small instead of letting it blow way out of proportion.

Besides, everybody knows the wife is always right...LOL

January 9, 2007, 12:38 pm CST

Settle This

I am an aunt to 2 girls that both their parents did drugs in front of them their whole lives..I tried everything to help the parents and the kids..but it got me nowhere, I tried getting help outside the family for the kids but had no luck, every time the parents got arrested guess who got called to take the kids in..but when I would try to get some kind of custody to protect the kids the state would put the kids back with the parents cause they wanted to try to keep the family together...WHAT A JOKE....The Kids are grown now. The oldest of the 2 well she is a meth head she wont be around long and she is only 25 homeless I tried letting her live with me when she had her first baby but she just wanted to do her drugs and not take care of baby she wouldn't work, she started stealing from me I tried getting her to go to rehab would have paid for it myself but she would not go...She finally gave her first child to the baby's daddy's family,, moved out of my house had another kid gave it up ..now she is homeless ...real bad on drugs...and I do blame the parents all the way ..When she was living with me I tried to teach her some responsibility but her parents were no help they would just tell her she did not have to do anything I told her to do...It was a big mess.. I tried evrything....Now her parents wont help her at all and blame every thing on her even though they are still doing the drugs with her they still blame her....I chose to stay away from them and I will never have anything to do with them again, I still see the youngest daughter and I am very close to her she does not do drugs has a real cute family it has been hard for her...See when she was growing up her parents used her ssc and ruined her credit before she was 10 yrs old....when her sister would get caught by the cops she would use little sisters name she had all kinds of warrants out for her..when she got older she went to get her drivers licence couldn't because of older sister...she had to file charges against her parents and sister to get her name cleaned up...after all these yrs she has new ssc, drivers license ....the law did nothing to parents or sister for stealing her identity...Anyway it was very hard being the aunt in that circumstance.....

January 9, 2007, 2:34 pm CST

I don't know what to say

Quote From: meviperchic

I am an aunt to 2 girls that both their parents did drugs in front of them their whole lives..I tried everything to help the parents and the kids..but it got me nowhere, I tried getting help outside the family for the kids but had no luck, every time the parents got arrested guess who got called to take the kids in..but when I would try to get some kind of custody to protect the kids the state would put the kids back with the parents cause they wanted to try to keep the family together...WHAT A JOKE....The Kids are grown now. The oldest of the 2 well she is a meth head she wont be around long and she is only 25 homeless I tried letting her live with me when she had her first baby but she just wanted to do her drugs and not take care of baby she wouldn't work, she started stealing from me I tried getting her to go to rehab would have paid for it myself but she would not go...She finally gave her first child to the baby's daddy's family,, moved out of my house had another kid gave it up ..now she is homeless ...real bad on drugs...and I do blame the parents all the way ..When she was living with me I tried to teach her some responsibility but her parents were no help they would just tell her she did not have to do anything I told her to do...It was a big mess.. I tried evrything....Now her parents wont help her at all and blame every thing on her even though they are still doing the drugs with her they still blame her....I chose to stay away from them and I will never have anything to do with them again, I still see the youngest daughter and I am very close to her she does not do drugs has a real cute family it has been hard for her...See when she was growing up her parents used her ssc and ruined her credit before she was 10 yrs old....when her sister would get caught by the cops she would use little sisters name she had all kinds of warrants out for her..when she got older she went to get her drivers licence couldn't because of older sister...she had to file charges against her parents and sister to get her name cleaned up...after all these yrs she has new ssc, drivers license ....the law did nothing to parents or sister for stealing her identity...Anyway it was very hard being the aunt in that circumstance.....

Wow, you deserve a lot of credit for doing what you could to help your neices.  The younger one should be commended for turning her life around...turning out to be a responsible adult when she had such bad role models.

I am concerned about two kids we know, a boy and a girl, ages 8 and 6. Both of their parents are alcoholic.  They won't do anything with the kids.  Their grandma makes sure that they have food on the table and a roof over their heads.  Grandma bought the family a mobile home and pays the rent in the trailer park.  Grandma takes the kids to extracurricular activities and makes sure that the kids do their homework.  Grandma can't afford a big enough apartment to take full custody of the kids...she is paying so much for her son and daughter-in-law.  I just hope and pray that Grandma will be the influence in their lives that they choose to follow.  I am involved with grandma and the kids along with one of my sons in an after-school activity.  I don't know that there is much else I can do but to encourage the grandma to continue her support of these kids.  Thank God for caring relatives.

January 9, 2007, 8:48 pm CST

To Chelsea the dog Fans

For the people who loved Chelsea in her "Doggles", she loves to wear clothes, she spins around when she sees me get out her outfits. As for her posing, she's my best friend & understands when I'm taking her pictures. But however, she is not in too good health, so I treasure what time she has left. As for the people who disagree, I'm just sorry you don't feel the bond as I do. But before I bring her to anyones home, I always ask first, even though she is attatched to my hip & never sets foot on the floor, it's rude to not ask.

January 9, 2007, 9:07 pm CST

my dogs breed

Quote From: meviperchic

Oh my goodness that is the cutest picture .What kind of dog is that cause it looks like my 2yr old rat terrer who by the way loves to get dressed up, infact my husband bought him a leather fighter pilot jacket for christmas and he wears it real proud he also has a santa hat and sits on santas lap to get his picture taken...gotta love the dogs but my dog has his own bed and that is not in mine....Love the picture.....
Chelsea is part Chihuahua & part mini pincher, glad you like her pics, I posted some more, I hope I don't offend that other person who couldn't imagine the closness of a pet, but since & became disabled, she's my lifeline, she goes for walks on the beach when my husband is too busy watching football, she doesn't argue, she snuggles, she's excited to see me when I've been gone only a half hour. I have room for my spouse, if he made time for me, so with that, thanks for listening. Cheryl

January 9, 2007, 9:09 pm CST

chelsea

January 9, 2007, 9:39 pm CST

chelsea

Quote From: polishgirl

Oh I love the pics they are soo cute...I love dogs and my husband does to..We had a german sheperd that died 3yrs ago he was 15 yrs old it was hard to let go, same time our youngest daughter moved out ..so we decided to get another dog, did not know if I could get close to it like my other dog but I sure did, wasnt hard at all.. next thing u know I have 3 dogs and just love them so much....they are so easy to spoil but they also know that I am the leader of the pack so I can control them and handle them....It sure helped with the empty nest syndrom....

January 9, 2007, 9:48 pm CST

settle this

Quote From: mustbecrazy

Wow, you deserve a lot of credit for doing what you could to help your neices.  The younger one should be commended for turning her life around...turning out to be a responsible adult when she had such bad role models.

I am concerned about two kids we know, a boy and a girl, ages 8 and 6. Both of their parents are alcoholic.  They won't do anything with the kids.  Their grandma makes sure that they have food on the table and a roof over their heads.  Grandma bought the family a mobile home and pays the rent in the trailer park.  Grandma takes the kids to extracurricular activities and makes sure that the kids do their homework.  Grandma can't afford a big enough apartment to take full custody of the kids...she is paying so much for her son and daughter-in-law.  I just hope and pray that Grandma will be the influence in their lives that they choose to follow.  I am involved with grandma and the kids along with one of my sons in an after-school activity.  I don't know that there is much else I can do but to encourage the grandma to continue her support of these kids.  Thank God for caring relatives.

Thank u for that .. I wish I could have done more so the oldest one could have turned out better but it wasn' t like I  did not try....During all that time my husband and I was raising our own 4 kids....And thank God they all turned out great....

January 9, 2007, 10:01 pm CST

chelsea

Quote From: polishgirl

For the people who loved Chelsea in her "Doggles", she loves to wear clothes, she spins around when she sees me get out her outfits. As for her posing, she's my best friend & understands when I'm taking her pictures. But however, she is not in too good health, so I treasure what time she has left. As for the people who disagree, I'm just sorry you don't feel the bond as I do. But before I bring her to anyones home, I always ask first, even though she is attatched to my hip & never sets foot on the floor, it's rude to not ask.
 I just had to reply again...lol..she is so cute....its funny but my rat terrier has a favorite shirt and he will go get it and bring it to me so I can put it on him and then he just struts around like the stud he is...lol     I also have a Chihuahua she is only 10 wks old and she is gettimg used to the clothes and she doesn't seem to mind them...My other dog is part german shepherd and part st bernard  and he is so big nothing will fit him.....I take all 3 with me wherever they allow dogs ....and my dogs are not allowed to go up to people unless u call them over.....as big as my one dog is he is real gentle to my other 2 dogs and he just turned 1 Jan.6....so I know how u feel I am very proud of my animal family....My kids and grandkids just love to come over and play with them.....Annette

January 10, 2007, 5:27 am CST

Carla and her dog

Someone please tell me this is a joke!  This has to be a joke as I do not believe adults behave/handle marriage in such a frivolous manner.  What is she thinking?  There need to be absolutely no discussion on this matter.  Since Carla wants to be loving to her dog over her husband, then maybe she should marry her dog!  How absurd!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last