Message Boards

Topic : Over 70 WLC Community

Number of Replies: 1466
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:08:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Share your story while giving and receiving support from others who are over 70.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 27, 2005, 3:07 pm CDT

GOOD EVENING ALL

AJ--Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need to lose weight "at your age".  What do they know.  They are probably not your age.  "Our age" needs to lose excess weight and get as fit as we can.   It helps to keep or brains fit as well. There are sample menus at the back of the book. Also a 14 day starter plan. By the way, I noticed that you are "non-US" .  Where do you live? I am in Ireland and this board is my main help and support. JOY- I do hope that your shingles are improving.  It  can really be a hassle-----Did you know that they are related to chicken Pox?:-) I agree with the spellcheck . I make a lot of typos as well. DOLORES-I'm sure glad that someone else is a peanut butter addict.  I can't get almond butter here or cashew butter:-(

My food choices are better and I did start to re-read the book.  Exercise is my main problem because I am physically limited as to what I can do. Any suggestions?  No work yet from Lois and Jane??  God Bless  Ginnyjane 

July 28, 2005, 10:22 am CDT

Ginnytjane

Ginnyjane--I found you--Thank you for the directions.  Glad to see Dolores back--welcome home---This is really nice.   I am really willing to start over reading the book.  My book has always been handy---look at it each day--but now I promise to pick it up and start reading chapter 1.  So far today I have  made good food choices--will get back to ONE DAY AT A TIME-----Our weather has been nice and cool the past 3 days---really nice after our 15 days of over 90.   Have a good day everyone and let's keep posting with the help we all need--welcome to our new lady---and hope more join us.    ONE DAY AT A TIME--Jane

July 28, 2005, 3:54 pm CDT

FINALLY--JANE

Quote From: mufpen

Ginnyjane--I found you--Thank you for the directions.  Glad to see Dolores back--welcome home---This is really nice.   I am really willing to start over reading the book.  My book has always been handy---look at it each day--but now I promise to pick it up and start reading chapter 1.  So far today I have  made good food choices--will get back to ONE DAY AT A TIME-----Our weather has been nice and cool the past 3 days---really nice after our 15 days of over 90.   Have a good day everyone and let's keep posting with the help we all need--welcome to our new lady---and hope more join us.    ONE DAY AT A TIME--Jane

JANE-I'm so glad that I had your e-mail address. Glad also that the directions were good. Now we need Lois.  Well, I did start the first chapter--just have to keep at it. I tried to get my cousin back on the program but she said the book made her feel guilty.  Don't understand that. Maybe it's not for everyone. It's late an I've got to sleep.  Been watching DVD's--the telly is so bad.  Hang in there y'all! God Bless Ginnyjane

July 29, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

Good afternoon to all

I posted yesterday but somehow my message did not reach the board.  Glad to see you back, Jane.  I sent directions to Lois but haven't heard from her as yet.  My shingles are all gone, GJ...thanks for your concern.  I went to the gym yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I did strength training for chest, back, biceps(front of the arm, triceps(back of the arm), abs, quads(front of leg, hamstrings(back of leg), plus the treadmill(cardio).  I did 10 reps of each, rested 30 seconds, and did 10 more reps.  They recommend 2/3 days of strength training and 3/5 days of cardio.  They say not to work the same muscle two days in a row so today I just did cardio....treadmill and bike.  Tomorrow I'll do strength training.  They have senior aerobics on Monday's and Wednesday's.  I think I have found the gym I want to join.  Just have to see if they have a partner gym in Texas or if I can join for 8 months of the year.  I met the owner today and he seems very nice.  I had met his wife previously.  I posted my profile but not as much room as before so it got cut off....will have to check it out again.  I like your scene, GJ.  Another thing I'll have to try to do.  Nice to have our support group together again.  Joy

July 29, 2005, 2:12 pm CDT

Good Afternoon

Hi to All;    Joy--sounds like a very nice gym---the only one we have close by is Curves---haven't tried it.   Just have to get myself back into walking the woods and riding my bike daily.    I froze some sweet corn this morning and our youngest son is bringing me some pickles tonight--so I will can them tomorrow---Lois--my tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.  Also the early potatoes are ready to be dug---maybe this weekend I will get to that.    We got a little more rain last night--not much but enough so I don't have to water today.  Haven't started to read Dr.Phil's book yet--just didn't have time today---have it out ---will try tonight.   Food choices have been good today--except we are having corn on cob for supper---not a good choice for me but will try to have just one.

Hope everyone has a good evening and weekend.   Ginneyjane---I really like your picture--is it one of yours--- 

Jane

July 29, 2005, 3:13 pm CDT

GOOD EVENING ALL

Well. I started the book.  food choices are better but not real good. I hope Lois finds us.  I made an error in telling AJ that there was a 14 day menu plan---it's only seven.  I hope her surgery went well.

JANE, my picture is one from an e-pal that I write to from Poland.  It is of a lake in their Botanical Gardens.  I used it because I thought it was so pretty. How are you all doing with the book and food etc..  God Bless   Ginnyjane

July 29, 2005, 4:15 pm CDT

AJ

Quote From: ready_able

Hi Delores,

Glad to have met you all and hope we can shed some pounds together.  My surgery will not set me back and I will begin Monday.  I want to keep up with you gals so can you give me an outline of how you all work together to do and report what works?

aj

Hey AJ,  Well this is Friday so you probably won't be reading this for a while.  I hope your surgery went well.  It sounds like you are excited about doing this and that is good.  I have met my goal on the weight, but it is very challenging to keep it off.  Don't let anybody tell you, you are to old to worry about your weight.  I am 73 and I have lost a hundred pounds.  It has taken me two years to do that, but worth every bit of it.  I was on two blood pressure meds and they have taken me off both of them and put me on a real light one.  My doctor is thrilled with my progress.  I think the most important thing for me has been the exercise.  If I don't exercise I don't loose wt.  I had surgery on the 12 of April and haven't exercised since then, but MONDAY it is back to exercise for me.  Dr. Phils plan works.  In the begginning I was not on Dr. Phil.  I was going to a doctors office, they guided me and it has worked for me.  Then I  saw Dr. Phil's weight loss challenge on TV.  I came to the boards and the support here is great.  I do have about four that I read.  I was the one that invited you to this one.  If you don't have his book and food guide, I would suggest that you get it, and just do what it says.

I have started reading the book again.  I am almost done with the first chapter.  You learn something new each time you read it.  I am looking fwd to getting to know you.  Sorry I haven't been on the last couple of days, but have been so busy.  Talk you you later,  Dolores

July 29, 2005, 4:26 pm CDT

JOY

Quote From: ulnamn

I posted yesterday but somehow my message did not reach the board.  Glad to see you back, Jane.  I sent directions to Lois but haven't heard from her as yet.  My shingles are all gone, GJ...thanks for your concern.  I went to the gym yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I did strength training for chest, back, biceps(front of the arm, triceps(back of the arm), abs, quads(front of leg, hamstrings(back of leg), plus the treadmill(cardio).  I did 10 reps of each, rested 30 seconds, and did 10 more reps.  They recommend 2/3 days of strength training and 3/5 days of cardio.  They say not to work the same muscle two days in a row so today I just did cardio....treadmill and bike.  Tomorrow I'll do strength training.  They have senior aerobics on Monday's and Wednesday's.  I think I have found the gym I want to join.  Just have to see if they have a partner gym in Texas or if I can join for 8 months of the year.  I met the owner today and he seems very nice.  I had met his wife previously.  I posted my profile but not as much room as before so it got cut off....will have to check it out again.  I like your scene, GJ.  Another thing I'll have to try to do.  Nice to have our support group together again.  Joy

Girl, it sounds like you are into the exerise.  That is great.  Strengh training is good.  My doctor told me that would be good for bones.  Sounds like you have a great plan.  I am looking fwd to get back to exercise on Monday.  The gym you are going to sounds like a good one.

I did start the book.  I have almost finished the first chapter.  I find something new every time I read it.  It won't be long before I have to start answering questions.  LOL  I don't really like to do that part,  guess that tells me I really need to. HUH?

Hope you have having a good day,  Dolores

July 29, 2005, 4:32 pm CDT

Jane

Quote From: mufpen

Hi to All;    Joy--sounds like a very nice gym---the only one we have close by is Curves---haven't tried it.   Just have to get myself back into walking the woods and riding my bike daily.    I froze some sweet corn this morning and our youngest son is bringing me some pickles tonight--so I will can them tomorrow---Lois--my tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.  Also the early potatoes are ready to be dug---maybe this weekend I will get to that.    We got a little more rain last night--not much but enough so I don't have to water today.  Haven't started to read Dr.Phil's book yet--just didn't have time today---have it out ---will try tonight.   Food choices have been good today--except we are having corn on cob for supper---not a good choice for me but will try to have just one.

Hope everyone has a good evening and weekend.   Ginneyjane---I really like your picture--is it one of yours--- 

Jane

Good to see you back on the board.  UMMM  Corn on the cob sounds sooo good.  That is one of my favorites, but the corn we get here isn't that great.

Like I told the other gals, I have started the book again.  It is a real challenge to keep the wt off after loosing it.  It is a never ending battle.  I make good choices, BUT  it is to often I am afraid.  Going back to exercise on Monday will help that tho.  (I hope)

Later,  Dolores

July 30, 2005, 12:07 pm CDT

Saturday greetings

After breakfast I went to a garage sale at our church cleaning out things that were no longer used.  I found an old communion service set that I will take to Texas as we don't have one for our service.  Always put the individual glasses on a tray and one or two always tip over.  Then I went to the gym on the way home.  I met the other owner who had given me the slip for two free weeks.  She looked over my program and thought I would like to use a ball for abs.  I was a little hesitant as I could picture myself falling off a rolling ball but she showed my how to use it and before I left I did go back and use it and it was fun.  She also sent a ball home with me plus a DVD showing the many ways to use these balls.  She thought I would gain more confidence in the privacy of my home.  Really nice gal!!  I thought I'd have to go to my son's house to use their DVD and all of a sudden a light bulb came on...I can use my laptop.  I'm more impressed with each visit.  So good to hear you are all doing something for exercise...really does make one feel better.  Jane, that sweet corn sounds wonderful!!  There are a few places selling around here but I'm waitng for ours as there is nothing better than to put a kettle of water on and go pick fresh sweet corn to throw in the pot.  My tomaotes are looking good but I didn't get them in very early.  Have a great day. Joy 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last