Message Boards

Topic : 01/15 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 721
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 12, 2007, 02:20:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The story continues of a 14-year-old girl whose family feared she could end up dead if Dr. Phil didn’t intervene. Alex had been running away, stealing and prostituting herself to men nearly twice her age. Dr. Phil moved Alex; her mother, Kim; her aunt, Enza; and her grandmother, Jeanette, into The Dr. Phil House for this teen intervention. Cameras capture Enza having an inappropriate conversation with Alex, and then starting a fight with Kim in front of the teen. Is the family dynamic the cause of Alex’s behavior? See what leaves Dr. Phil speechless. Next, Alex is sent to a health clinic to be thoroughly tested for sexually transmitted diseases. Dr. Phil and Alex have a one-on-one talk before her test results are revealed. Will Alex’s test results be her wake-up call? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with the two fighting women and shows a video clip that leaves Kim shocked and looking to her sister-in-law for an explanation. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 13, 2007, 2:23 pm CST

Scared mom of a 12 year old

I cant believe this aunt!!! She needs to be standing behind the mom in her decisions and shut up!!!1 I was a single mother for 8 years and it scares me to death that this poor girl at 14 thinks it is ok to sell her body. She obviously has no self esteem and I really feel that she is looking for some male attention  " not from the father ".  The mother has some issues of her own and she needs to deal with them head on becuase like dr phil said she cant help her until she is healed herself. I also went through a bout of drinking and it is not pretty she will deny it until the cows come home. She has not hit rock bottom yet as they say in AA. I hope to god this mother realizes that her drinking is a problem and this is her rock bottom because until she does it is just going to destroy her relationship with her daughter. The aunt on the other hand really needs to stop fighting with her ...the name calling..swearing...accusations..always pointing out the negatives and try and help her. If she can not do that, as this girls aunt, then she needs to step aside and if she chooses not to then all she is doing is making this poor child watch her own mother be labeled as an alcholic and a bad mom and that is what this poor girl feels inside that her mother is an alcholic so why does she care anyways what I do. This aunt really needs to take a step back and decide if she is ther to fight with the mother or help the girl....ex alcholic!!!!! 

January 13, 2007, 2:32 pm CST

She is not alone

Watching and listening to this young girl breaks my heart.  I see it  too often in our society today.  How on earth can a mother talk to her child in that manner?  Then the mother can not understand where her daughter gets her attitudes.  I want to let the mom and all moms know, speak to your "young adult" as that and not like they are the worse humans on earth.  Moms be strong.  Put on the armour of the Lord and He will get you through this and the results will be that the child will get through it as well.  "Be strong!"  The end results will be a "strong" young adult

January 13, 2007, 2:35 pm CST

right about the aunt

Quote From: moynihan7562

I cant believe this aunt!!! She needs to be standing behind the mom in her decisions and shut up!!!1 I was a single mother for 8 years and it scares me to death that this poor girl at 14 thinks it is ok to sell her body. She obviously has no self esteem and I really feel that she is looking for some male attention  " not from the father ".  The mother has some issues of her own and she needs to deal with them head on becuase like dr phil said she cant help her until she is healed herself. I also went through a bout of drinking and it is not pretty she will deny it until the cows come home. She has not hit rock bottom yet as they say in AA. I hope to god this mother realizes that her drinking is a problem and this is her rock bottom because until she does it is just going to destroy her relationship with her daughter. The aunt on the other hand really needs to stop fighting with her ...the name calling..swearing...accusations..always pointing out the negatives and try and help her. If she can not do that, as this girls aunt, then she needs to step aside and if she chooses not to then all she is doing is making this poor child watch her own mother be labeled as an alcholic and a bad mom and that is what this poor girl feels inside that her mother is an alcholic so why does she care anyways what I do. This aunt really needs to take a step back and decide if she is ther to fight with the mother or help the girl....ex alcholic!!!!! 
You are right about the aunt needing to back off.  Her behavior was just as bad as the mother of the child.  I wish they could sit back and watch their own behaviors.  Lies and more lies is not going to help but will cause more trouble. 

January 13, 2007, 2:54 pm CST

Enza needs to but out!

I watched the first show and saw how Enza acted and I saw how the mother acted too. I think there are many hidden problems in the relationship between mother and daughter. I think the mother brought many men to her home and her daughter stood on the side lines watching. The daughter seems to be repeating what her mother has done in the past. I was a single mom with sons between the ages of 6-8 and I NEVER brought men home. I never dated. My main concern was the welfare of my sons! I devoted and sacrificed for my sons and it paid off well. They are both awesome providers, husbands and fathers in their families. I know people make mistakes in their lives and sadly to say the children pick up on it and it's sometimes carried with them for the rest of their lives until someone steps in (like Dr. Phil) to help and to teach the parent and child. I hope both daughter, mother AND grandmother will learn a lot and will all pull out of this mess! Again, Enza needs to stand back and mind her own business! She is doing an injustice to the daughter by her pent up anger and harsh words towards the daughter's mother!  May God Bless Them!

January 13, 2007, 2:56 pm CST

01/15 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention, Part 2

Quote From: vtaggart

You are right about the aunt needing to back off.  Her behavior was just as bad as the mother of the child.  I wish they could sit back and watch their own behaviors.  Lies and more lies is not going to help but will cause more trouble. 
It is really sad when 2 grown woman especially the driving forces in this childs life as her only examples of woamn and how they should be act like children themselves.... I am sooo scared for this girl. I feel that she has gone down a path that her mother nor her aunt can help her with due to both of there issues. Dr phil really needs to talk to the aunt because as far as I am am concerned she is the 3rd party and ask her why are you here? Are you here to get at the mother or are you here for your neice? The mother has to stay because that is her mother!!! But seriosly this woman is an alcholic she reminds me of me...I was a functioning alcholic...which means her bills are paid on time she goes to work and the kids are very weel taken care of materilaistically.....but emotionally they are destroyed. Everyone thinks that an alchoholic is astumblimg down drunk that cant function in society but that is  not true....ther are millions of alcholics that are functioning in society but failing in the home...like my mother always said they may look pretty from the outside but you never really know what is going on behind closed doors.. I applaud this mother for having the nerve to come on national television to help her daughet knowing that all of her dirty laubdry was going to be put out there. As far as the aunt goes I think that she has her own skeletonsand she dosent want anyone to find out!!!!!

January 13, 2007, 3:09 pm CST

applause

Quote From: joycers54

I watched the first show and saw how Enza acted and I saw how the mother acted too. I think there are many hidden problems in the relationship between mother and daughter. I think the mother brought many men to her home and her daughter stood on the side lines watching. The daughter seems to be repeating what her mother has done in the past. I was a single mom with sons between the ages of 6-8 and I NEVER brought men home. I never dated. My main concern was the welfare of my sons! I devoted and sacrificed for my sons and it paid off well. They are both awesome providers, husbands and fathers in their families. I know people make mistakes in their lives and sadly to say the children pick up on it and it's sometimes carried with them for the rest of their lives until someone steps in (like Dr. Phil) to help and to teach the parent and child. I hope both daughter, mother AND grandmother will learn a lot and will all pull out of this mess! Again, Enza needs to stand back and mind her own business! She is doing an injustice to the daughter by her pent up anger and harsh words towards the daughter's mother!  May God Bless Them!
I applaude you as a single mother of 2 boys....my husband was raised by a single mother and he is also a great father and provider. I agree with you in the aspect that the mother has created this situation on herself that she has chosen to bring men in and out of her home and the daughter unfortunatley thinks that it is ok. On the other hand the mother is emotionally damged by something!! Not sure what but it is ther....she would not be drinking the way she is or allowing men to come in and out the way she does unless she was broken inside herself. I truley feel that this woman needs to be healed herself in order for her to help her daughter. I am a mother of a 12 yr old girl and I am a recovering alcholic and somehow I thought it was ok for so many years. This aunt does not need to be in this house unless she is willing to put the battle gear and allow her self to be compassionate to this woman and actually try and help her become a better person and mom. But non the less I think that it is wonderful that your sons are so great!!!!!

January 13, 2007, 3:44 pm CST

They All Have So Many Issues!!

I am not surprised that Alex is as troubled as she is with the three so called "ADULTS" constantly fighting, screaming and berating and backstabbing each other and their efforts.

I don't know how any child, and yes, Alex is still the child whether she likes it or not.  I am an Aunt to many children and young adults.  I also have gurardianship of my 17 year old niece who has lived with me for 1.5 years due to bullying at her former school and some other issues.  I did step in and volunteer to take in my niece so that she wouldn't drop out of school and ruin her future.  However, I didn't bad mouth my sister (her mother) and try and run my own agenda by going behind my sister's back and all the other things this family does to each other.

Do you want to "BE RIGHT" or for Alex to be safe, healthy and live a long and great life?....All parties involved need to step back and shut up and grow up....such troubled people can't seem to help raising troubled children in such turbulent surroundings.  The chaos must be just mind blowing to a young girl...and I still haven't figured out how many siblings that Alex has, they can't be mentally healthy either.

I really don't get the grandmother keeping such huge sums of cash  money at home when you know how troubled Alex is..let alone what an easy target for robbers you are.  I really hope she put her cash in the bank now that the entire world of Dr Phil watchers knows she is that foolish!

If I was the Grandma I sure wouldn't be living with a daughter and Granddaughter who act like this.   Grandma has earned her right to some peace and quiet in her older life...I would encourage her to get her own place and keep alot of this at arms lenghth.  She doesn't  need to be exposed to all this mess in her daughter's life.

January 13, 2007, 7:57 pm CST

WOW, A tragedy in the making

I've read through all the messages on this & there is a common theme here...ENZA.  She is a bitter woman that seems to have nothing to occupy her, than to terrorize this family & keep the tension going.  I wonder if she gets some kind of satisfaction out of causing chaos & then pretending that she is the only one that can help.  I've seen her type before....My Step Father.  He would instigate huge fights between my Mother & Me.  We found out on accident from him telling my Grandma about a fight.  I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but my Grandma figured out that he was playing us one off the other.  He would sit back & watch when my Mother & I would stand toe to toe & nose to nose & yell & scream at each other.  After we discovered what he was doing, he no longer had the power over us to cause problems & my Mom & I had a great relationship after that.

I found it very interesting the comments that Enza was making while watching what Dr. Phil was saying to Kim.  It was so obvious that she was very tangled up in the whole mess.  It was also very interesting to hear her denials when Dr. Phil read what Alex wrote about Enza.  She could not admit to her part, & acted like there was no way that she did any of those things.  She acted like she was the only one right in the whole thing & that everyone else was wrong.  She needs help & now.  I think that while in the Dr. Phil's house, it will become very evident what that woman has done to sabotage the relationship with Kim & Alex.  As long as Enza is allowed to continue her game between Mother & Daughter I don't think the family could heal.  At first I couldn't understand why Dr. Phil would allow Enza to be part of this.  But it has become clear that she is so tangled up in the whole thing, that without her there, there can be no healing.  She needs to see what she has done.  And she needs to learn what her roll should be in the family dynamics.  If she cannot come to terms with what she has done, then she should have no acsess to either Alex or Kim.  I just hope that Enza does not cause further problems between Kim & Alex.

January 14, 2007, 7:32 am CST

Common factor - Save that child

Alex needs to be saved! Enza is not letting Kim cop out of her responsibility, which is good, BUT is she a little too toxic? You should never tell a child how bad there parent is, you tell them their parents are not perfect, she's doing the best that she knows how. This child knows her mother has issues, but it does not help to put down her mom.

Kim has a big problem. She needs to step up and face the music! People make mistakes. When you make a mistake that affects your children this severely, the best thing you can do is admit it, then change it. There is nothing more empowering to a child then to care so much for them that you will better  yourself to be better for them!

I was that child! My mother pulled us out of a situation so fast.... 30 years later, it still brings me to tears! After 2 years of being physically abused, she wasted no time when her boyfriend tried to molest  me. She pressed charges, we went to court, then moved halfway across the country. One  week after the court appearance (which he did not show), we were on our way to the safety of extended family.  

January 14, 2007, 8:03 am CST

Enza Go Home!

Quote From: needfaith2

I am not surprised that Alex is as troubled as she is with the three so called "ADULTS" constantly fighting, screaming and berating and backstabbing each other and their efforts.

I don't know how any child, and yes, Alex is still the child whether she likes it or not.  I am an Aunt to many children and young adults.  I also have gurardianship of my 17 year old niece who has lived with me for 1.5 years due to bullying at her former school and some other issues.  I did step in and volunteer to take in my niece so that she wouldn't drop out of school and ruin her future.  However, I didn't bad mouth my sister (her mother) and try and run my own agenda by going behind my sister's back and all the other things this family does to each other.

Do you want to "BE RIGHT" or for Alex to be safe, healthy and live a long and great life?....All parties involved need to step back and shut up and grow up....such troubled people can't seem to help raising troubled children in such turbulent surroundings.  The chaos must be just mind blowing to a young girl...and I still haven't figured out how many siblings that Alex has, they can't be mentally healthy either.

I really don't get the grandmother keeping such huge sums of cash  money at home when you know how troubled Alex is..let alone what an easy target for robbers you are.  I really hope she put her cash in the bank now that the entire world of Dr Phil watchers knows she is that foolish!

If I was the Grandma I sure wouldn't be living with a daughter and Granddaughter who act like this.   Grandma has earned her right to some peace and quiet in her older life...I would encourage her to get her own place and keep alot of this at arms lenghth.  She doesn't  need to be exposed to all this mess in her daughter's life.

The 1st problem is no father in Alex's life.  The 2nd problem is Enza the BUTTINSKI!  If Enza was truely concerned with Alex then I wouldn't care who or where she fit in the picture..as long as she cared about Alex.  But, I think she is looking for attention and from what I've read, she is the one who contacted the Dr. Phil show, that and the things she says and the way she acts just makes me think she is in it for attention.  Alex needs her father.. lots of counseling and Her Father!  Where is he?  Maybe he will come and help rescue the situation.  It's unfortunate that we can't pick our parents sometimes, Alex's mother is a mess.. and if the old saying is true.. look at someones past lovers and you can tell alot about a person, maybe Alex's father is a mess too.. but Alex needs Big Brothers Big Sisters or some other mentor of the male persuasion. I hope the best for her.. hopefully she will NOT have any STD's.. but if she does that may straighten her up and turn her life around also. However unfortunate it would be.  I'll be watching. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last