Message Boards

Topic : 06/20 Snobs and Egomaniacs

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 19, 2007, 01:21:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/23/07) Do you know people whose egos are off the charts? Dr. Phil’s guests take self-love to the extreme. Renee believes that she’s right all the time and even brags that her friends worship her. Her fiancé, Chuck, says Renee is confused because he’s the one who excels at everything. The couple says their ego wars are all fun and games, so why were the police recently at their house? Then, Desiree says her husband-to-be, Anthony, thinks he’s God’s gift to women. She says he won’t go to the gas station without putting on cologne, tells his family he’s “sexy as hell,” and he even puts on stripteases … for himself! Anthony says he’s not conceited; he just has really high self-esteem. Is Anthony’s big head going to cause big problems in his relationship? Plus, don’t miss the hidden camera experiment that Dr. Phil conducts on his audience. Do you know a snob? Tell us!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2007, 7:19 am CST

Arrogance as a benefit...

There's pros and cons to being arrogant.  Many professionals i know have to be to project an air of expertise.  You just have to channel it into an image.  Attorneys have to have an air of intimidation and arrogance as a game of chess in the courtroom.  Some cheerleaders in high school speak it as a language (as in "do you speak b****?).  No one uses you as a doormat or you'll bring it back times ten!  Aggressiveness can get you far in life- but it's far better to use assertiveness first, then arrogance as a last ditch effort.

January 23, 2007, 7:27 am CST

01/23 Snobs and Egomaniacs

What can I say about Renee excpet what a B@(&%.  She is lucky someone hasn't taken her out yet.  Show some humility.

January 23, 2007, 9:37 am CST

Forgive her

Quote From: survivin99

My sister-in-law is the biggest bragger and most masterful manipulator I have ever encountered.  Material possessions are her driving force. She sends out 3-page newsletters with pictures of all the highlights and acquisitions in her life, with subtle references to how her warm-climate state is oh-so superior to our chillier climate up north. She is a salesperson- dyes her hair blonde, had breast implants and now wears all these low-cut tops with a big bow right in-between her boobs like the ribbon on a package.   She is the baby and her parents spoiled her since day one.  She has manipulated her elderly parents into giving her large amount of cash to buy a house, then sends e-mails with 70 pictures of the house-to-be to my husband.  She has my husband convinced that her lifestyle, car, state, and life in general is superior and now my husband wants to move to her state,  is interviewing for jobs there and expects to get one soon.   Her parents and my husband think this behavior is OK.   I find her manipulative ways too much to handle, and personally fluctuate between pity, amusement and anger.  To keep my marriage intact I will have to move away from my only son and only grandson, the driving forces in MY life.  How do I manage to survive this one? 

T.S.eliiot said something along the lines of , people want to feel importatnt. they don't mean to do harm, they are absorbed in an endless struggl to think well
 of themselves...that struck me as profoundly true.

Examine your own heart why her behaviout upsets you so much.  You seem to be reacting angrily that she throws her happiness in your face, and your way of dealing with it is to call her happiness fake.  It may well be fake, but what's that to you?

Your job isn't to judge her worthy or unworthy, but to appraise yourself and your situation. 
If you don't want to leave son and grandchild, simply assert your need - A warm family circle in a cold climate may be worth more than mild weather anywhere else.

Be sure and visit the area before you move, and see what its really like - maybe it is a nicer place to live.   You don't have to be knee jerk about it.   If you want to stay near family,  maybe that can be worked out.   Say what you want and don't apologise for wanting it.  It really has nothing to do with someone else's  lovely bosom. 

January 23, 2007, 9:44 am CST

Deal of the Century

Quote From: queenvaron

You really think this guy is a snob huh? You haven't seen anything until you look at my husband. He is not only a snob that looks down on everyone, but he is also a master mainpulator and would have you believe that he is the savior of the world. He is what I call Mr. Big Cadillac Man Manipulator. He is very immature and plays with his toys, big or small. I had to sell off his tremendous G.I. Joe collection because he said f I lost the car that I lost him. He has done immeasurable things to not only me, but to other people. He tells lies about me to other people and states that I make him feel like a hillbilly. It was my trucker's hands that supported us most of our marriage. Yet he lets people know that I am a phramaceuticul representative that works for Eli Lilly making a six figure income. He tells people lies. When I had to work at Wal-Mart for a time people asked him if I was his wife working at Wal-Mart and he told them no that I was his wife's sister. Before we were married one of the stipulations that I had was that he had to have Jesus Christ as his Savior. He said he did and then I found out after we were married that he had lied to me. The Master Manipulator is what I call him and I would like to see you try that one on for size. There is so much more to the story than this, but that is another cookie for another day. Every day is a struggle for me. I take one day at a time. Can you imagine having to go to the bathroom in a bucket because you are trying to save a few dollars on sewage, or that you don't have money for Monstat 1-Day treatent for your yeast infections because Magic Cards are too important to your husband? You cannot begin to imagine my world. Be happy the guy is only conceited and nothing more. If he is more than that he will deny you the very freedom you have so he can satisfy his material wants (not needs).
  "he said f I lost the car that I lost him"

Any reason you didn't take him up on that fabulous offer?   Aren't you better off without this guy?

January 23, 2007, 10:20 am CST

01/23 Snobs and Egomaniacs

Some people are like this their whole life.   I just wonder (but mostly am thankful)  how they find eachother. 

January 23, 2007, 10:38 am CST

Ego

Those with seemingly over-inflated ego, or the snobs, are actually insecure and feel they must make themselves look better to the outside world, even at the expense of others.  Their critical attitudes may be a reflection of what they don't like about themselves but are afraid to admit.

Remember the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes"?  He was such an egomaniac that he went in a parade in his underwear because he didn't want to admit that he couldn't see the "cloth" that fools couldn't see...didn't want to admit that he, himself, might be a fool.

A little humility goes a long way toward building true self-esteem.

I haven't seen today's show yet...it is morning, and the show isn't on until 3:00 this afternoon.

January 23, 2007, 10:57 am CST

Arrogance or Assertiveness

In my experience thus far I have had the opportunity to cross paths with various levels of humanity from the perception of an extremely hostile and sociopathic being ( a descriptive of my former self ) to now seeing others more in the light of a spiritual awakening that has revolutionized and made possible for me to view others with more compasion and less judgement.

I agree with Dr. Phil in his appraisal of those on the show today. People will compensate for what they lack , or THINK they lack , within themselves and project what they belive to be "leveling" qualities in an attempt to elevate their own importance in the world. It seems clear to me that if these individuals were as powerful and wonderful as they wish others could see  them as, they would be solving the world's problems and briging about Global healing and planetary growth.

In my own case I had to come to the point where I thought, and selfishly believed , that the only remedy for me was death. What I have come to hold as true now is that I am here to fulfill a purpose that I don't fully understand, in the time given me to do it, and only when I bring my desire , passion, and will in line wth what is truly meant to be shall I then experience happiness rather than being right all of the time.

These days I am more happy than otherwise, even though there are times when my lesser desired or appreciated humanity comes to the surface of my being and brings about events which I realize ,after an inventory of my conduct and thinking ,need amending  and then take the proper action to improve on my behavior. It is no longer part of my practice to continually belittle or compete with others to feel a sense of worth or purpose but to seek ways to enlighten my being and contribute to the race of man in the hopes that others, too, may be enlightened also, as one of my mentors, the most honorable Nelson Mandela passed on to me----- "As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same".

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically librates others".

Blessing to all who read this, and Blessing to all who may judge this, and especially Blesing to all who ignore this, may your slouls sing the praises of faith and unity for al mankind.

January 23, 2007, 12:22 pm CST

Always Right Renee

I am watching the show now... and always right Renee is WILD !!!   She is barely letting Dr. Phil get a word in.  Her boyfriend could do better !!   I say let always right Renee be RIGHT and BE ALONE !!!!  

January 23, 2007, 12:40 pm CST

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrghh!

I wish I'd beenable to get this through the filters in advance of the first segment today.

There's something which Dr. Phil isn't mentioning and I stole it (paraphrased) from "The Bridge Across Forever", by Richard Bach ("Jonathon Livingston Seagull")

In the, his future wife writes him a letter because he made himself unavailable when she most needed him. He saw them only a friends and while it was known to both of them, he didn't think about where they were.

She explained how they each viewed their|a relationship, particularly for each.other.

He saw it as a chess game. Where the object is to demolish the other. There's always a winner and loser.

What she envisioned was like instruments in a symphony, where they could pool their life experiences, past and present, and they'd complement each other individually as well together.

When my mother left my her ex (I have a hard time who was so abusive he had too moods: anger and no emotion; physical, emotional, and verbal.  I don't refer to him in his biological role for me.

Back to point.

She was very,  very scared and waited somewhere a week or two and called us. I told her to hang up, that all would be good in the long run.  I tracked down my book, called her, and read the letter from Leslie to Richard.  Mom realized she was walking away from a chess match where she always lost.  We talked for a long, long time.  That was twelve years ago.  She's since married to someone who treats her like a queen -- the same way Dr. Phil expresses knowing Robin is the best treated in a room crowded with women.

Anyone interested in a good description of a mature, adult relationship would be very wise to give it a shot.

Here's the book, with very low rates: http://tinyurl.com/2uvebo

Enjoy.

January 23, 2007, 1:15 pm CST

I say...........

Quote From: idolator

I am watching the show now... and always right Renee is WILD !!! She is barely letting Dr. Phil get a word in. Her boyfriend could do better !! I say let always right Renee be RIGHT and BE ALONE !!!!

Right On!  They both deserve to be alone that dude is no saint!  N-I-C-E

S-L-I-C

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last