Message Boards

Topic : 06/20 Snobs and Egomaniacs

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 19, 2007, 01:21:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/23/07) Do you know people whose egos are off the charts? Dr. Phil’s guests take self-love to the extreme. Renee believes that she’s right all the time and even brags that her friends worship her. Her fiancé, Chuck, says Renee is confused because he’s the one who excels at everything. The couple says their ego wars are all fun and games, so why were the police recently at their house? Then, Desiree says her husband-to-be, Anthony, thinks he’s God’s gift to women. She says he won’t go to the gas station without putting on cologne, tells his family he’s “sexy as hell,” and he even puts on stripteases … for himself! Anthony says he’s not conceited; he just has really high self-esteem. Is Anthony’s big head going to cause big problems in his relationship? Plus, don’t miss the hidden camera experiment that Dr. Phil conducts on his audience. Do you know a snob? Tell us!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 20, 2007, 6:08 pm CST

01/23 Snobs and Egomaniacs

Having worked in the tourist and service industries, I have run into my fair share of SNOBS, and they are the most hateful people I've ever met, and to my great shame, when I worked as a housekeeper in a hotel, sorry to my fellow Canadians, but we were some of the worst, our American guests were some of the best ( but there is good and bad in every crowd ), and we won't say ANYTHING about the British, okay like I said good and bad everywhere, but I'm going with the average in my experience.

A woman I worked with and I came up with a new reality show, take these SNOBS and make them do these jobs for a week, most of them would be off crying after the first day I'm sure.

People are people, and hopefully there will come a day when people understand that money, and looks don't equal class.

January 20, 2007, 7:26 pm CST

Self Esteem vs. Ego

Now here's an interesting concept. It was never clear whether a person has self-esteem or an ego.  Either way, because I'm depressed most of the time (I take antidepressants daily) I would love to have the confidence in myself that people like Renee or Anthony possess.

It's easy, I suppose when you have the money Dr. Phil has, or the looks that Robin has - ego? I first thought that of Dr. Phil until I realized - the dude knows what he's talking about. Me? I'm a dope. Serously, some of us would love to be an egomaniac for a day. Maybe it isn't all that bad!

January 20, 2007, 9:02 pm CST

Yes, I know a snob. My Husband is one.

You really think this guy is a snob huh? You haven't seen anything until you look at my husband. He is not only a snob that looks down on everyone, but he is also a master mainpulator and would have you believe that he is the savior of the world. He is what I call Mr. Big Cadillac Man Manipulator. He is very immature and plays with his toys, big or small. I had to sell off his tremendous G.I. Joe collection because he said f I lost the car that I lost him. He has done immeasurable things to not only me, but to other people. He tells lies about me to other people and states that I make him feel like a hillbilly. It was my trucker's hands that supported us most of our marriage. Yet he lets people know that I am a phramaceuticul representative that works for Eli Lilly making a six figure income. He tells people lies. When I had to work at Wal-Mart for a time people asked him if I was his wife working at Wal-Mart and he told them no that I was his wife's sister. Before we were married one of the stipulations that I had was that he had to have Jesus Christ as his Savior. He said he did and then I found out after we were married that he had lied to me. The Master Manipulator is what I call him and I would like to see you try that one on for size. There is so much more to the story than this, but that is another cookie for another day. Every day is a struggle for me. I take one day at a time. Can you imagine having to go to the bathroom in a bucket because you are trying to save a few dollars on sewage, or that you don't have money for Monstat 1-Day treatent for your yeast infections because Magic Cards are too important to your husband? You cannot begin to imagine my world. Be happy the guy is only conceited and nothing more. If he is more than that he will deny you the very freedom you have so he can satisfy his material wants (not needs).

January 21, 2007, 1:40 am CST

interesting.

Quote From: queenvaron

You really think this guy is a snob huh? You haven't seen anything until you look at my husband. He is not only a snob that looks down on everyone, but he is also a master mainpulator and would have you believe that he is the savior of the world. He is what I call Mr. Big Cadillac Man Manipulator. He is very immature and plays with his toys, big or small. I had to sell off his tremendous G.I. Joe collection because he said f I lost the car that I lost him. He has done immeasurable things to not only me, but to other people. He tells lies about me to other people and states that I make him feel like a hillbilly. It was my trucker's hands that supported us most of our marriage. Yet he lets people know that I am a phramaceuticul representative that works for Eli Lilly making a six figure income. He tells people lies. When I had to work at Wal-Mart for a time people asked him if I was his wife working at Wal-Mart and he told them no that I was his wife's sister. Before we were married one of the stipulations that I had was that he had to have Jesus Christ as his Savior. He said he did and then I found out after we were married that he had lied to me. The Master Manipulator is what I call him and I would like to see you try that one on for size. There is so much more to the story than this, but that is another cookie for another day. Every day is a struggle for me. I take one day at a time. Can you imagine having to go to the bathroom in a bucket because you are trying to save a few dollars on sewage, or that you don't have money for Monstat 1-Day treatent for your yeast infections because Magic Cards are too important to your husband? You cannot begin to imagine my world. Be happy the guy is only conceited and nothing more. If he is more than that he will deny you the very freedom you have so he can satisfy his material wants (not needs).

yes , i realise this discussion is about egos, snobs and whatever, and i have my own opinion on those people. Personally i think its a way of covering up their own personal insecurites and or esteem issues. Its interesting as ive met many many ego driven snobs in my life, and mostly they seem to me to be so concerned with image, they actually miss the joy of what money can actually do for one. It only gives one, choices. Ive been a milionarire in my life, owned yatchs and fast cars, and could still buy them but i can honestly say they give little real pleasure if the only reason one accumalates such things is to impress others. Which i did,nt, so  really did have a lot of fun. Anyway, thats my angle on egos and snobs for what its worth , and i believe it dos,nt have a gender boundary , there are as many female snobs as there are male, thats certainly what i found when i owned the visably outward trappings of wealth. People can be damn shallow was my experience, so when i decieded to live a simpler life, my long term good looking lady opted to fly the coup too, and good ridance.

Anyway the purpose of my post really was,nt just about egos and snobs, but rather to ask, if your husband is as you say, and had those tendencies even before you were married? What does it say about you that you married him , and still continue to stay with someone who apears to be such a self centered jerk? It dos,nt sound like a whole lot of fun, and lifes pretty short is,nt it?

January 21, 2007, 4:25 am CST

R U KIDDING ME?

There is a huge difference between being a person with high self-esteen and being a jacka____!  There is absolutely no reason to be rude, hateful and talk down on people if you have high self-esteem.  This means that the people that think they have high self-esteem that are crapping all over everyone else obviously has low self-esteem and needs to make everyone else around them seem crappier than them.  It's kinda of like taking an unattractive person and puitting them in a room full of models.  They obviously will feel like they have low self-esteem but if you put that same person in a room with people that are even more unattractive than that person you will have a higher self-esteem. 

It is my belief that people that think they have high self-esteem or big egos feed off of everyday normal people by telling everyone that they are better than them. The only people that would argue with them about it would be the same type of people like them. 

Grow up you rude, unemotional people and I hope your kids grow up with enough self-respect to not dump on everyone around them to make themselves feel better.  Good luck!

January 21, 2007, 5:47 am CST

Maybe it's a front.

I wonder if maybe sometimes when people seem to be snobs or have a huge ego, it's a cover for their for their fear of not being good enough. I think that the proof is in what a person quitely accomplishes. Self-confidence can be a gentle, subtle thing.

January 21, 2007, 6:35 am CST

maybe....

Quote From: rosie52

I wonder if maybe sometimes when people seem to be snobs or have a huge ego, it's a cover for their for their fear of not being good enough. I think that the proof is in what a person quitely accomplishes. Self-confidence can be a gentle, subtle thing.
I think maybe your on the right track. We all have heard that expression of people lifting themselves up by putting others down,  I think that applies here.

January 21, 2007, 7:22 am CST

Nasty People?

I think we have to watch the show to see. I dont think anyone sounded nasty or mean to others? I think some people are just happy with their selfs and i think we all should be. If the same people were gruesomely homely or 900 pounds and they were up there saying the same thing, that they are self loving people, no one would have a problem with it. Everyone would cheer for them. Now if they are stepping on people then yeah. BOOOOO. But i guess we have to wait and see.

January 21, 2007, 7:40 am CST

SNOBS AND EGOMANIACS

Dr, Phil

I viewed your boards reg subject matter, Rene and Anthony got get their head out of the cloud or metiforically speakin out of their a - - es. Its alright to a point but when the other thinks thier God, come on Helloooooooo,  My opinion they Got  to c a Therapist, the insignificant other who's part of thier life God Help You. 

Thomas

Protection

January 21, 2007, 9:48 am CST

01/23 Snobs and Egomaniacs

Quote From: kiwiguy

yes , i realise this discussion is about egos, snobs and whatever, and i have my own opinion on those people. Personally i think its a way of covering up their own personal insecurites and or esteem issues. Its interesting as ive met many many ego driven snobs in my life, and mostly they seem to me to be so concerned with image, they actually miss the joy of what money can actually do for one. It only gives one, choices. Ive been a milionarire in my life, owned yatchs and fast cars, and could still buy them but i can honestly say they give little real pleasure if the only reason one accumalates such things is to impress others. Which i did,nt, so  really did have a lot of fun. Anyway, thats my angle on egos and snobs for what its worth , and i believe it dos,nt have a gender boundary , there are as many female snobs as there are male, thats certainly what i found when i owned the visably outward trappings of wealth. People can be damn shallow was my experience, so when i decieded to live a simpler life, my long term good looking lady opted to fly the coup too, and good ridance.

Anyway the purpose of my post really was,nt just about egos and snobs, but rather to ask, if your husband is as you say, and had those tendencies even before you were married? What does it say about you that you married him , and still continue to stay with someone who apears to be such a self centered jerk? It dos,nt sound like a whole lot of fun, and lifes pretty short is,nt it?

I agree kiwiguy and sorry to hear that you woman left.  Was she a snob?  I look at most of the people that win the lottery and they spend, spend, spend and what happens in the end?  They end up divorced, miserable and broke, and then realize that money isn't everything.  How sad.  I am completely happy as long as I can pay my bills and have enough left over to buy a couple of little things (decorations for the house, candles, etc.).  I don't think money buys happiness but having enough to pays bills and take care of your family in an adequate way then it seems to stress people out  a little less.  I absolutely cannot stand people that think they have to constantly try to show everyone around them that they are better then them, have more money, a nicer car, better kids, skinnier than others, prettier than others and that ever guy wants her (I worked with a woman like this...lol).  It was completely disgusting as she would lie to everyone and because I worked close to her, i knew that her husband was in jail for a second felony charge, her sons got in bar fights and her daughter was turning into a tramp.  No one else in our office knew of any of this as she lied to everyone to make herself look perfect and that everyone should be jealous of her.  I actually felt sorry for her, it was quite sad that she felt the need to do this.  I was her friend in the beginning until i got to know her better.  When I asked to be transfered out of that office with her, i wrote her a letter and told her that she didn't need to be that way, that people would like her and want to be her friend if she would just be herself.  As with anyone with an ego, she did not acknowledge the letter at all.  It eventually turned out that her husband left her and her own daughter couldn't stand the way she was and moved in with her father.

For all of you who think we give a crap that you think you have a better car, perfect kids, great husband/wife, etc.  people that live life to be happy do not give a flying crap about how much s_____t you have!!!!!  Thanks for letting me vent a little and KIWIGUY... good luck and I hope you find a good woman who will appreciate the fact that you have learned that money isn't everything.

Thanks,

Kristina

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last