Message Boards

Topic : 08/15 Rude and Crude People

Number of Replies: 258
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 19, 2007, 01:28:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/25/07) Have you had it with a rude and crude relative or friend? Or do people incorrectly label you as one? Sisters Alex and Melissa say they can't understand why people perceive them as arrogant snobs. According to them, they are just confident models, and "Plain Janes” misinterpret their actions and are threatened by them. They say they want to change their ways, but when Dr. Phil puts them to the test, will they accept the challenge? Then, Jennifer says her husband of three years, Billy, is the crudest of them all. He wears t-shirts with obscene language, calls his wife names and teaches their kids to swear. She says his behavior has grown so bad that if he doesn’t change, she’s going to walk out the door. Why does Billy say it's all Jennifer's fault? Can Billy learn to clean up his act to save his marriage? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 25, 2007, 12:58 pm CST

Be happy with who you are

I feel Alex and Melissa crave this negative attention. When people react negatively to their rude, inappropriate behavior, they interpret it as a compliment. They feel people are acting this way out of jealousy because of the way they look. Therefore, they welcome and more than likely encourage these less than desirable reactions from people.

It is obvious Alex and Melissa suffer from low self-esteem. I think both girls realize that they are not what you would call “natural beauties”. I think they feel that if they put on a big show, people might see them for more than what they are. It is unfortunate that they cannot be happy with themselves as they are; not everyone can be Heidi Klum.

January 25, 2007, 1:05 pm CST

Today's show is a bummer.

Today's show has really brought me down. First of all , those silly, silly girls... With all due respect, the first 17 minutes of the show was a waste of air-time. I understand the points that Dr.Phil was trying to get across at the end of the show. Maybe it's because I'm so much older (not even necessarily wiser) Even at their ages I wasn't like they are. I understand that time and life experiences make us look at things differently. Then to see those poor innocent little children spewing out those obsceneties! That man must be nuts! I'm not by any means perfect,nor do I have any aspirations of ever being perfect. Even at my age I am still learning new things. I guess that if I came away with anything from today's show, it's that I have turned out better than I give myself credit for sometimes.

January 25, 2007, 1:08 pm CST

Rude and Crude

This is a subject that amazes me on a daily basis.  People who are rude with me can never anticipate my reaction.  I may "kill them with kindness" or teach them how to be really rude.  I don't advocate any particular response. 

I am often surprised by what people think is rude, courteous or none of the above.  Some think me rude if I do not endorse their line of thinking.  I have no problem with that.  I've often said if you want to be taken as the wisest person in a crowded room, just nod a lot and make noises that sound as if you agree with whomever is speaking at the moment. 

Yet, things I see as daily actions of common courtesy frequently shock people.  If I get the door for a woman, she is frequently surprised.  If I hold it for another man, they wonder what I'm up to.  I entered a supermarket last week and pulled a cart out for an elderly couple behind me.  As I offered it to the man, he was visibly puzzled.  His wife finally took it and said "...Excuse him please.  He doesn't know what to do when people are nice...".

Personally I am happy if people will just follow traffic laws and observe stop signs and red lights.  I don't ask much, but I often don't get it.  My personal pet peeve in the rudeness category is....... Drivers with cell phones! 

Oh oh, got to go.  The nurse says its time for my medication again!

January 25, 2007, 1:10 pm CST

Alex & Melissa

These girls are "full of themselves".  It appears that they really do think they are a bit better than others.  Perhaps they are doing some "leveling" (as Dr. Phil calls it!) by trying to create this persona of themselves as being so beautiful and making others feel beneath them.  Acually these two girls are NOT raving beauties.  Sure they look nice and well put together, but really not above average in looks.  Not natural beauties.  The blond seems to want to change and seems to want to become a better person.  She looked much prettier without the makeup!  The make up made her look stiff and fake.  The brunette should give that a try!  Come on girls...liberate yourselves and get off your  throne!  Come on down to earth and enjoy yourselves like the rest of us "plain" women!

January 25, 2007, 1:10 pm CST

rude and crude people

Quote From: minty_fresh_82

I feel Alex and Melissa crave this negative attention. When people react negatively to their rude, inappropriate behavior, they interpret it as a compliment. They feel people are acting this way out of jealousy because of the way they look. Therefore, they welcome and more than likely encourage these less than desirable reactions from people.

It is obvious Alex and Melissa suffer from low self-esteem. I think both girls realize that they are not what you would call natural beauties. I think they feel that if they put on a big show, people might see them for more than what they are. It is unfortunate that they cannot be happy with themselves as they are; not everyone can be Heidi Klum.

I did not feel alex and melissa craved negative attention,I honestly believed that they were genuwine with how they felt about themselves and think they are misconcieved .The sister that did take off her makeup attitude was no diffrent from when the show started and she had all of the makeup on.With the makeup off she was even more beautiful and sincere with how she felt people reacted towards her.I basically feel like ugly people have issues with themselves and feel like they are the ones that need help with projecting a diffrent image and to stop being so negative and jealous towards folks that are beautiful like Alex and Melissa who are truly beautiful confident girls.....

January 25, 2007, 1:11 pm CST

NO MAKEUP = SEXY AND HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say that I think  Melissa looked MUCH better after she took off her makeup!  Letting your own true natural beauty be seen is so much sexier, and WAY hotter than a bunch of fake-up! And we see it used so much these days that no make-up looks very stylish and fresh!

If Alex had accepted the challenge I'm sure she would have looked just as great. Both sisters have true natural beauty and as Melissa found out, just saying "NO" to fake-up can be a very liberating experience, especially if you've been wearing, what I like to call 'fake'-up now, for a long time.

As a 22yr old U o f T student, I can honestly say I am MUCH happier showing my true face, (and I get to sleep in for an extra half hour each day!)

=D

January 25, 2007, 1:15 pm CST

rude people

These girls have just been taught wrong....they have been taught that it is all about the outside...and it has given them a low self esteem...I taught my kids that it is ok to be proud of oneself just don't hurt anybody with your pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2007, 1:22 pm CST

No Heidi Klums Please

Quote From: minty_fresh_82

It is obvious Alex and Melissa suffer from low self-esteem. I think both girls realize that they are not what you would call natural beauties. I think they feel that if they put on a big show, people might see them for more than what they are. It is unfortunate that they cannot be happy with themselves as they are; not everyone can be Heidi Klum.

If a woman wants to be beautiful, she has to be herself.  It really is that simple.  People are beautiful, and real women are the best.  Thank you for enriching my life.

January 25, 2007, 1:25 pm CST

No Make-Up

Quote From: realitychecker

Just wanted to say that I think  Melissa looked MUCH better after she took off her makeup!  Letting your own true natural beauty be seen is so much sexier, and WAY hotter than a bunch of fake-up! And we see it used so much these days that no make-up looks very stylish and fresh!

If Alex had accepted the challenge I'm sure she would have looked just as great. Both sisters have true natural beauty and as Melissa found out, just saying "NO" to fake-up can be a very liberating experience, especially if you've been wearing, what I like to call 'fake'-up now, for a long time.

As a 22yr old U o f T student, I can honestly say I am MUCH happier showing my true face, (and I get to sleep in for an extra half hour each day!)

=D
Make up or not Make up, their attitudes kill it all!

January 25, 2007, 1:29 pm CST

Once Again

Quote From: flthomcat

Coincidence.

Gender doesn't determine rudeness or politeness or crudeness, etc.

The teaching of the parents (and their living by example) is what determines how children/teens behave.

I have met rude and crude girls and boys (as a teacher of teens) and polite and respectful kids as well. Who raised them and what those parents expected of them (no, DEMANDED of them) determined how they behaved toward others.

Our two children (age 12 and 6) wouldn't dare be rude/crude to others. We spend MUCH time talking with our kids about how to treat people and how to have self-respect. We also do our best to be role models.

We are not whimpy, unassertive parents. We are assertive, independent, educated parents who follow the teachings of Christ. And when we goof, which everyone does from time-to-time, we apologize.

Very well put.  You are well grounded in your thinking as well as your beliefs.  I may not always agree with you, but I respect you a great deal.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last