Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 Fatal Attraction?

Number of Replies: 171
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 26, 2007, 01:51:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/29/07) Everyone wants to be loved, but what happens when being the object of someone's affection turns creepy or even fatal? Celebrities are not the only targets – stalkers can be found in any neighborhood and town. Michelle says her ex-boyfriend, Melvin, is obsessed with her, and she fears for her life. Melvin admits he constantly thinks about Michelle and can't live without her in his life, but he says he gets mixed messages from her. Find out the extremes Melvin has gone to in his relationship with Michelle, and why his actions prevented him from coming to Los Angeles for the taping of the show. And, why does Dr. Phil tell Michelle she's playing with fire? Then, Katrina has been infatuated with rap star, Jay-Z, for the last three years. She sends him 200 e-mails a day, has called him over 300 times and has even tried to befriend his best friend and sister. She is convinced that if Jay-Z met her, he would want to be with her, but is she willing to risk jail time just to get close to him? And, meet a Hollywood actress who was stalked on the big screen … and then in real life. Why does she fear her stalker may strike again? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2007, 6:06 am CST

fatal attraction or what?

There is a police officer where I live that drives me CRAZY. All I want to do is BE FRIENDS! He wants more! He goes to my neighbors and tells them how much he wants me and he just can't seem to get me out of his  mind. I have not sent him mixed messages or anything else. I try not to answer my phone or my door now unless I know who is there. He comes on at 2 in the afternoon and I try NOT to go outside of my house due to the fact if he sees me, he will pull up in my yard and talk for 2-3 hours! Our small town is paying him to talk to me and my neighbors for sitting in or at our house for nearly 5 hours a day, talking. I do not want to go to the cheif of police because he will not and can not keep his mouth SHUT!!!! I am also afraid this man will retalleate and start giving my kids and family trumped up tickets. I don't want any trouble and have only told one sister about this. She says to  ignore him but that is not easy and she DOES NOT understand. He goes up and down my  street like {what seems like a hundred times} constantly! I do not feel fear of him but rather bothered by him. I like the man as a friend ONLY but I am begining to not even want him to be a friend.

One of my daughters has decided I need someone and since heis NOT married and has some money, he is the one. My neighbors seem to think so too. I have told them that he is not the kind of man I want. He is nice and kind but there is NOTHING THERE and I want all of them to tend to their own business and I want him to LEAVE ME ALONE! He is 60 and I will be 54 in March.  I mafde a HUGE mistake and went out to eat with him ONE time because everyone begged me to. Now I cant shake him loose. ANY suggestions?

January 29, 2007, 7:11 am CST

01/29 Fatal Attraction?

These shows just amaze me.  What are people thinking??

And why do women always seem to have kids with these guys?  He's controlling, he's abusive, he's scary, the whole situation is completely dysfunctional . . . hey--let's drag a helpless kid into the mess, too!  I would be disappointed enough in myself if I allowed someone to treat me like that; I would never forgive myself for putting children though it, as well.

January 29, 2007, 7:25 am CST

01/29 Fatal Attraction?

Quote From: flthomcat

I honest just don't get how anyone could/would have a crush on a Hollywood celebrity. The reality of thse celebrities (most, of course not all) is that they merely graduated high school, they have or are using drugs, they marry and divorce & don't committ, their children are raised by nannys, they have shut God out of their lives, they are adulterous, they live like kings and queens donating little to help others, yet they push tax increases that are passed onto the working poor, etc.

WHAT attracts you to them??? I just don't get it. Yes, they can act or sing or dance and they have lots of the $$$...whatever. WHY is that so important to you?

Being crazy about/for "stars" we don't even know personally MUST say more about the one with the crush than it does about the "star." If I were you, I would take a serious look at my life...my priorities and my mental health and I would work on getting emotionally healthier. I mean this with NO DISRESPECT. I worry about people like you. You deserve to have a healthier life and it's attainable.

To be honest I don't really get it either,

but I do think what happens is people buy into the fantasy, these people are unattainable for the rest of us mere mortals, and so for some it makes them that much more attractive, maybe for others, it keeps them from having to form bonds with the attainable, just a hunch on my part.

For a person who already suffers from being Schizophrenic, or Bi polar or sometimes deeply depressed, the lines between fantasy and reality become quite blurred if non existant, and some of them DO BELIVE that these people are attainable and meant for them, if they could just meet them and show them how perfect they are for one another, it has NOTHING to do with the star themselves, it is a fantasy.

I'm not sure that ALL stars are as bad as you say however, that truly is an unfair assumption ( of course fueled by the free publicity given by the supermarket tabloids) we DON'T KNOW THEM, and the chances of us meeting them, well negligable at best, let's face it Dr. Phil himself is a STAR, and he has been put through the tabloids, as has Oprah, would you call them immorral, adulterous, drug users etc ?

January 29, 2007, 7:32 am CST

fatal attraction

I find this womens behaviour is actually enforcing her  stalker and his behaviour, she really needs to get a grip and move on.  This man will eventually kill her and she really does not get it.

January 29, 2007, 7:56 am CST

Katrina

I think she is mentally disturbed and living in a fantasy land.  I seriously think that Jay Z should press charges and get a restraining order.  I really fear that sh will do something because she has been doing this for so long.  I hope he watches a snippit of the show or maybe that prosecutor will alert him to what she saw on the show.  She's really a scary individual.  She doesn't even seem to realize how strange her behavior is.  This is no minor crush, this is really stalking someone and she has already made threats towards Beyonce'.  Personally I don't know etehr one of them but I hope they take heed of this issue and really put some restraints on who has access to them, their family, and just be aware.

The girlfriend and Melvin.  I think she needs to remove herself from him completely and move out of town and get another job.  She needs to set up visitation through a court liason and make sure she is very careful.  She needs to stop seeing him.

January 29, 2007, 7:58 am CST

I really agree...

Quote From: flthomcat

I honest just don't get how anyone could/would have a crush on a Hollywood celebrity. The reality of thse celebrities (most, of course not all) is that they merely graduated high school, they have or are using drugs, they marry and divorce & don't committ, their children are raised by nannys, they have shut God out of their lives, they are adulterous, they live like kings and queens donating little to help others, yet they push tax increases that are passed onto the working poor, etc.

WHAT attracts you to them??? I just don't get it. Yes, they can act or sing or dance and they have lots of the $$$...whatever. WHY is that so important to you?

Being crazy about/for "stars" we don't even know personally MUST say more about the one with the crush than it does about the "star." If I were you, I would take a serious look at my life...my priorities and my mental health and I would work on getting emotionally healthier. I mean this with NO DISRESPECT. I worry about people like you. You deserve to have a healthier life and it's attainable.

Celebrities (or the celebrity lifestyle) aren't people that would attract me either.  I don't get why people want to either emulate, or be with some of them.  I wish the celebrity could evolve into more of a positive role model (a Christian or at least a religious person), that would stand up for the oppressed without trying to improve their image (kind of a "Bono" type). 

I think the infatuation is based on what the person with the crush wants the celeb to be, not who they really are.  A lot of it is superficial attraction, but we all know that beauty fades, and then what?  I hope that these people can get some help and talk this out or change the thinking process here, and move on with their lives. 

January 29, 2007, 8:23 am CST

Stalkers

Hi Dr. Phil,

First of all let me say I really admire the way you interact with your guests. You aren't judgemental. You seem to see the potential good in everyone even the people viewers like me may dispise right off the bat.

I am curious as to how the young lady stalking Jay Z knows Beyonce is "fake". Has she met her? Does she know her personally? I wish the young lady all the happiness in the world and I hope she listens to all the advice she recieved on the show.

With celebrity stalkers I don't quite understand how they can get so invested in a person they really know nothing about. Fans read all sorts of things in the magazines, but if you never meet a person and talk to them how do you know you'll even like them?

It seem the young lady with the stalker ex needs serious help. At first I couldn't understand how she could keep going back to him when he abuses her. I quess I just don't understand how a person can hate themselves so much that they accept the unacceptable. It seems maybe she has issues with self esteem she has to deal with. I am just concerned for her children. I don't have children, but I have been around little children. It's amazing how much they absorb and remember. Children seem to be very resilient, but they also understand and remember things we as adults don't think they will. 

I wish all your quests, even the gentleman who is stalking his ex-girlfriend the best ,and I hope they all get the help they need. Thank you Dr. Phil for being objective yet firm in your convictions.

January 29, 2007, 8:51 am CST

Fatal Attraction

I just watched your show on fatal attractions and I have to say I related so much to michelle. I was in a relationship almost identical to this and it lasted for too many years. You want to believe there is a way to make it right, but unfortunatly there usually isn't. It  took moving away from the town I had lived in for 15 years, but for my situation that was all it took. It's hard to make rational decisions when your lfe is so full of dysfunction. It has now been aliitle over 5years and I am still healing from this relationship. I feel stronger each day but it is a very slow process. I hope michelle finds strength to see this for what it is and gets out of her situation before more damage is done, both physically and emotionally. As I look back I see just how lucky I was to have gotten out (alive). There is no one new in my life yet, but being alone is far more happy than what I was living.

January 29, 2007, 9:37 am CST

Fatal Attraction

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Thank goodness you addressed her part in this relationship.  Her picker is broke.  My advise go back and find out why she picks men like this.  I found out that I couldn't attract healthy men unless I was healthy.  I changed, my standards changed,  I learned to live and like myself, and!!!  I found I like being alone with myself.  I'm sure Dr. Phil can see this and I pray she will.

January 29, 2007, 10:56 am CST

STALKERS

Quote From: gwarrior6

Celebrities (or the celebrity lifestyle) aren't people that would attract me either.  I don't get why people want to either emulate, or be with some of them.  I wish the celebrity could evolve into more of a positive role model (a Christian or at least a religious person), that would stand up for the oppressed without trying to improve their image (kind of a "Bono" type). 

I think the infatuation is based on what the person with the crush wants the celeb to be, not who they really are.  A lot of it is superficial attraction, but we all know that beauty fades, and then what?  I hope that these people can get some help and talk this out or change the thinking process here, and move on with their lives. 

I agree.  And as for that they can act and sing, most of them do not even do that very well. They are celebrities because of the way they look.  I would look great too if I had my make up done, my hair done, a personal trainer, the time to work out, a chef to cook my low fat low carb meals, a maid to clean my house and a nanny to watch my kids.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last