Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 Fatal Attraction?

Number of Replies: 171
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 26, 2007, 01:51:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/29/07) Everyone wants to be loved, but what happens when being the object of someone's affection turns creepy or even fatal? Celebrities are not the only targets – stalkers can be found in any neighborhood and town. Michelle says her ex-boyfriend, Melvin, is obsessed with her, and she fears for her life. Melvin admits he constantly thinks about Michelle and can't live without her in his life, but he says he gets mixed messages from her. Find out the extremes Melvin has gone to in his relationship with Michelle, and why his actions prevented him from coming to Los Angeles for the taping of the show. And, why does Dr. Phil tell Michelle she's playing with fire? Then, Katrina has been infatuated with rap star, Jay-Z, for the last three years. She sends him 200 e-mails a day, has called him over 300 times and has even tried to befriend his best friend and sister. She is convinced that if Jay-Z met her, he would want to be with her, but is she willing to risk jail time just to get close to him? And, meet a Hollywood actress who was stalked on the big screen … and then in real life. Why does she fear her stalker may strike again? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2007, 10:46 am CST

01/29 Fatal Attraction?

This is a great topic to talk about! I'm looking forward to hearing what Dr. Phil has to say about it. What gets in the minds of these disturbed individuals? I would really like to know. I was involved just one time in my life and hopefully I Pray, never again with a man who was obsessed with me.

He showered me with gifts, notes, everything romantic that he could come up with and as time went by it got worse. He would leave work at random times to come and check on me and  it even got so bad,  he hired a private investigator. I was abused physically by this man who would tell me he couldn't live without me.

I survived to tell the story, and what hell it was...

January 27, 2007, 11:35 am CST

Fatal Attraction

I have crushes on celebrites all the time, and I have bipolar disorder and take meds for that and OCD too. One time, I did get a little overboard with a crush, but I didnt get too far with my plans, because I didn't know where he lived. (I was jealous of my cousin for going to see Enrique Iglesias in concert), and therapy helped with that. I do have a question about meeting famous people. Can you meet someone famous without stalking him/her, because in my heart I know that even though I've met him, I could still never be with him, but my brain would probably say otherwisse?

January 27, 2007, 3:29 pm CST

too good to be true, or not

Attention from a manager at work is always welcome. When the manager becomes romanticallly involved, visions of finer things to come start to dance in your head. But when romance becomes obsession, ffear begins to dance.  Chance meetings and "i was just thinking about you, so I thought I'd stop by" , get creepier and the stalking is creepier. The frustrated out bursts become real threats, and often injuries. Introspection seems to say : too short, too blonde, too stupid, too this, too that" Wait, it's not meewith a problem, It's him. . . . Time to confront. . . . Denial, and false accusation begin to escalate, until physical pain is the next feeling you have.    Your only choice is the Magistrates office. In our county, the abuser of a relationship can be arrested, whether it is male or female, young or old. In this suburban setting the abusor can easily found. Especially if they like to stalk. Get help, get out ! 

January 28, 2007, 1:13 pm CST

MY BROTHER'S GIRLFRIEND DID NOT WANT HIM TO LEAVE HIM & SOMETHING VERY BAD HAPPENED.

SHE CALLED THE POLICE ON HIM AND LYED AND SAID THAT HE WAS HITTING HER.  HE KNEW WANTS THE POLICE WOULD COME THAT HE WOULD GET ARRESTED AND SENT BACK TO PRISON.  HE WAS STILL ON PAROLE.  SHE HAD TOLD EVERYONE SEVERAL WEEKS BEFORE THAT IF HE LEFT HER THAT SHE WOULD MAKE SURE THAT HE WENT BACK TO PRISON.  SHE KNEW SOMEONE  THAT WORKED IN PLANO POLICE AND THAT WHERE HE HAD KILLED HIMSELF.  MY BROTHER NEVER WANTED TO GO BACK TO PRISON AND HE TOLD EVERYONE THAT BEFORE HE WENT TO PRISON THAT HE WOULD KILL HIMSELF.  HIS GIRLFRIEND TOLD EVERYONE THAT HE COULD NOT KILL HIMSELF.  WELL SHE WAS SURPRISE THAT HE DID IT.  MY MOM & I IS VERY ANGRY WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND.

January 28, 2007, 2:50 pm CST

Michelle's Fatal Attraction

I will be watching this show. I want to know more about Michelle. I too was once in a situation quit close. When I was going through this I had low self esteem and was going through a devastatIng loss which was violent as what I witnessed so I punished myself thinking I didn't deserve better.  My guess, this could be why Michelle is doing what she's doing. "going back for the sex."  I see myself in her. I got the counseling needed. I'm doing great! This was many years ago. And I have a wonderful husband and 3 Kids. I hope she will get the counseling she MAY NEED.

January 28, 2007, 4:48 pm CST

Something doesn't seem quite right.....

I don't feel qualified to question the mental state of these stalkers. Since I have been on the message boards, I think I may have acquired a "virtual" PhD(Phantom Doctorate)But, I DO have an opionion. I have always assumed that stalkers are mentally ill. Katrina for example, is e-mailing, phoning, trying to befriend a relative and friend, of someone she has never even met. She is convinced that if they met, JayZ would see that they are meant to be together.Three years is a long time to persue an imaginary relationship. Does this mean that her head ain't screwed on tight enough? Now with Melvin and Melissa, I have heard a promo for the show saying that Melissa is still having sex with Melvin. If Melvin is indeed a stalker and has mental problems, then I would think that Melissa might be putting herself in danger. We know that stalkers have killed and injured people in the past .If I were JayZ and Melissa I think I would err on the side of caution. In all fairness, I have never been stalked, nor do I know anyone who has been stalked. I only know of the horror stories that I have seen in the media. When I was a teenager, I was totally in love with Bobby Sherman, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, and I can't remember who else. But it was a phase and it passed. I only saw them in the teen magazines and on T.V. I never in a million years considered trying to track them down. I hope to gain more insight on the subject by watching the show.( I might add that it's possible that Katrina is using the show as a showcase ,hoping that JayZ will see her)

January 29, 2007, 4:34 am CST

01/29 Fatal Attraction?

Quote From: rosie52

I don't feel qualified to question the mental state of these stalkers. Since I have been on the message boards, I think I may have acquired a "virtual" PhD(Phantom Doctorate)But, I DO have an opionion. I have always assumed that stalkers are mentally ill. Katrina for example, is e-mailing, phoning, trying to befriend a relative and friend, of someone she has never even met. She is convinced that if they met, JayZ would see that they are meant to be together.Three years is a long time to persue an imaginary relationship. Does this mean that her head ain't screwed on tight enough? Now with Melvin and Melissa, I have heard a promo for the show saying that Melissa is still having sex with Melvin. If Melvin is indeed a stalker and has mental problems, then I would think that Melissa might be putting herself in danger. We know that stalkers have killed and injured people in the past .If I were JayZ and Melissa I think I would err on the side of caution. In all fairness, I have never been stalked, nor do I know anyone who has been stalked. I only know of the horror stories that I have seen in the media. When I was a teenager, I was totally in love with Bobby Sherman, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, and I can't remember who else. But it was a phase and it passed. I only saw them in the teen magazines and on T.V. I never in a million years considered trying to track them down. I hope to gain more insight on the subject by watching the show.( I might add that it's possible that Katrina is using the show as a showcase ,hoping that JayZ will see her)

I think you're right esp. about using the show as a showcase.

I do think there's healthy "fandom" ie; just wanting to meet a person ...and then move on and then there's the " I just know if so and so meets me, they'll see I'm the one thing". I mean, I got to actually meet my favorite singer in Las Vegas (in Caesar's Palace) and we talked for 10-15 minutes (he was very sweet) and that's it...I'll always have the memory of meeting him and getting the chance to say thanks for the music....I think that's pretty normal but then you have those who go to the extreme.

BTW. Paul Revere and the Raiders...cool.. I almost got to see them at Hershey Park,a few years ago (without Mark Lindsay of course)...but I had to go and get the flu..oh, well!

Have a Good One,

January 29, 2007, 5:11 am CST

What is it about Hollywood "stars?"

Quote From: actress_1

I have crushes on celebrites all the time, and I have bipolar disorder and take meds for that and OCD too. One time, I did get a little overboard with a crush, but I didnt get too far with my plans, because I didn't know where he lived. (I was jealous of my cousin for going to see Enrique Iglesias in concert), and therapy helped with that. I do have a question about meeting famous people. Can you meet someone famous without stalking him/her, because in my heart I know that even though I've met him, I could still never be with him, but my brain would probably say otherwisse?

I honest just don't get how anyone could/would have a crush on a Hollywood celebrity. The reality of thse celebrities (most, of course not all) is that they merely graduated high school, they have or are using drugs, they marry and divorce & don't committ, their children are raised by nannys, they have shut God out of their lives, they are adulterous, they live like kings and queens donating little to help others, yet they push tax increases that are passed onto the working poor, etc.

WHAT attracts you to them??? I just don't get it. Yes, they can act or sing or dance and they have lots of the $$$...whatever. WHY is that so important to you?

Being crazy about/for "stars" we don't even know personally MUST say more about the one with the crush than it does about the "star." If I were you, I would take a serious look at my life...my priorities and my mental health and I would work on getting emotionally healthier. I mean this with NO DISRESPECT. I worry about people like you. You deserve to have a healthier life and it's attainable.

January 29, 2007, 5:14 am CST

Stalking is a crime. Lock them up!

Stalking is a crime. Those who stalk have not only mental health issues, but often are (or will become) dangerous. There needs to be more teeth in the stalking laws.

Those who find themselves w/ the tendancy to have intense crushes on people they hardly know need to seek the help of experts.

January 29, 2007, 5:33 am CST

Fatal attraction

About 2 years ago my husband and i were going through a rough patch and he did cheat on me during that time, we were able to get through it all, with counseling when he broke it off with the other woman she would not allow him she would chase him down in her vehicle and even chased us down in my car with her son in the her backseat. she has assaulted me and even threated his life to the police.  She has gotten off on all charges, this is not he first time she has done this, it has happend with other men when they try to leave her. I feel like our judicial system is protecting the stalkers and not the stalked.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last