Message Boards

Topic : 02/01 A Difficult Reunion – Part 1

Number of Replies: 193
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 26, 2007, 01:59:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil follows the continuing story of Erica, who as a little girl survived the unthinkable. At just 2 years old, she witnessed her father, Mark, murder her mother. Her father spent nearly two decades behind bars for this heinous crime. Now that he has been released from prison, Erica will be reunited with him -- the father who murdered her own mother -- for the first time in over 20 years. In the first of two parts, Dr. Phil arranges a powerful reunion that Erica hopes will bring answers, but instead raises many more questions. When Erica's curiosity turns to anger, her emotions are too much for Mark to bear, and he walks right off the Dr. Phil stage! Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2007, 2:21 pm CST

Why

I really do not understand her. I would not want to see him. I'm sure she has built up anger and rage, It might come out in the wrong way. From the tid bits i've seen of him so far. He does not care. What a waste of a man. Drugs he says. Come on Buddy. You have kids. What was he thinking?? I cannot wait to find out.

January 27, 2007, 4:52 pm CST

i kind of do see her point

Quote From: lilkimyak

I really do not understand her. I would not want to see him. I'm sure she has built up anger and rage, It might come out in the wrong way. From the tid bits i've seen of him so far. He does not care. What a waste of a man. Drugs he says. Come on Buddy. You have kids. What was he thinking?? I cannot wait to find out.
 I kind of do see your point. She really shouldn't want to see him, but at the time of the murder she was 2 years old so she grew up not knowing her father.  I think she needs to confront him just to have closure, whether good or bad. It will obviously be bad because it was such a tragidy and no doubt drugs were involved.  Drugs changes a person drastically and makes them a coward.  There may be a slight chance that he cant face his daughter because he knows what it has done to her life as well as his.He will also probally never get over this, but for sure his daughter won't.  If she sees her father there will probally be alot more pain for her to go through than she already has.  He can never make up for something like this, but she feels that she has to see him and maybe find some reasoning for it all but there won't be.  She is in for a hard long road to deal with this issue. She feels the need but it won't do her any good.

January 28, 2007, 8:57 pm CST

Move on, not worth the effort!

Our family watched this show, and CANNOT understand the need to meet, talk, give the time of day to this person who murdered their mother!!  Forget it! He's not worth it and there's no good to come from this "reunion".... it's unhealthy, sick and cruel. I do think it is disrespectful to the mother to have any desire to meet the man who killed her in cold blood! no way.

I have personal experience with a father who molested me, gave up his parental rights in exchange for never having to pay the child support he owed my mother and any future child support....

Not every man is a father or a person who deserves to be given a second chance, this is definitely one of those situations.. there are other people this woman can get love and support from in her life. This guy is sick and why he was not executed for the murder he committed is another question, let alone he is now out and FREE???? and we call this justice for the victims??? I don't think so....

this show irritated me and my family, we thought Dr. Phil should've counseled this woman to move on, this man took her mother away and he has issues.

We think he missed the boat on this show for sure...

January 30, 2007, 7:59 am CST

THATS NOT FAIR

thats really not fair for all of you to say i should want to met him and i get over it. why dont you try living your wole life with neither parents. One was dead and never coming back, and one was in prison because he killed her. I cant explain why i was feeling that way. i guess still after all he has done he my father. I;m not going to let anyone make ne fell bad for what I want and how i feel. SO untill you have been though what ive been though you should'nt say those things like; get over it, move on you, i dont understand whay she wants to met him. Since hte show i now know i dont want anything to do with because of what he did i just wanted to meet who my father was and maybe something.  My life is better off without him.

January 30, 2007, 8:11 am CST

ITS NOT FAIR

I'M NOT SURE WHY EVERYONE IS WRITING NEGITIVE THINGS ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD AND SHOULDNT DO. WHY DONT YOU ALL TRY LIVING WITH OUT EITHER PARETNS . GROWING UP KNOWING YOUR MOM IS NEVER COMMING BACK AND YOU DAD IS THE REASSON FOR THAT. I CANT EXPLAIN WHY I WAS FEELING THIS WAY BUT I WAS AND I SHOULD'NT HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO ANYONE. NO MATTER WHAT HE STILL IS MY FATHER I CANT CHANGE THAT. I JUST WANTED TO MEET HIM TO KNOW WHERE I CAME FORM. I NOW KNOW I DONT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM AND I CAN MOVE ON. IF I DIDNT DO THIS IT WOULD OF HAUNTED ME FJOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. SO UNTILL YOU HAVE BEEN THOUGH WHAT I'VE BEEN THOUGH ITS NOT FAIR FOR ALL OF YOU TO SAY; MOVE ON, GET OVER IT, IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

January 30, 2007, 7:57 pm CST

02/01 A Difficult Reunion – Part 1

Quote From: airca23

I'M NOT SURE WHY EVERYONE IS WRITING NEGITIVE THINGS ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD AND SHOULDNT DO. WHY DONT YOU ALL TRY LIVING WITH OUT EITHER PARETNS . GROWING UP KNOWING YOUR MOM IS NEVER COMMING BACK AND YOU DAD IS THE REASSON FOR THAT. I CANT EXPLAIN WHY I WAS FEELING THIS WAY BUT I WAS AND I SHOULD'NT HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO ANYONE. NO MATTER WHAT HE STILL IS MY FATHER I CANT CHANGE THAT. I JUST WANTED TO MEET HIM TO KNOW WHERE I CAME FORM. I NOW KNOW I DONT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM AND I CAN MOVE ON. IF I DIDNT DO THIS IT WOULD OF HAUNTED ME FJOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. SO UNTILL YOU HAVE BEEN THOUGH WHAT I'VE BEEN THOUGH ITS NOT FAIR FOR ALL OF YOU TO SAY; MOVE ON, GET OVER IT, IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Erica, I attended the taping of the show where you met with your father face to face. I just have to tell you, I give you a ton of credit for doing what YOU needed to do to move forward in your life. I admire your strength and courage to do this, especially on national television. I'm not sure why everyone else feels they can give you their advice on your own personal issues. I have been curious as to how you are now andd if there was a relationship that came out of this. I now see on your post, that you are no longer speaking to him and want nothing to do with him. I can't imagine the weight that has been lifted off your shoulders after going through this process. THANK YOU for standing up for what YOU wanted and moving forward in your life, you are a wonderful example for all women out there who usually wouldn't stand up for what they want. I wish you the best, you and your family.

January 31, 2007, 4:52 am CST

well

Quote From: debstewart143

Erica, I attended the taping of the show where you met with your father face to face. I just have to tell you, I give you a ton of credit for doing what YOU needed to do to move forward in your life. I admire your strength and courage to do this, especially on national television. I'm not sure why everyone else feels they can give you their advice on your own personal issues. I have been curious as to how you are now andd if there was a relationship that came out of this. I now see on your post, that you are no longer speaking to him and want nothing to do with him. I can't imagine the weight that has been lifted off your shoulders after going through this process. THANK YOU for standing up for what YOU wanted and moving forward in your life, you are a wonderful example for all women out there who usually wouldn't stand up for what they want. I wish you the best, you and your family.

well, i agree where you said that you were not sure why everyone else feels they can give you their advice on her own personal issues, its true!! hello it's only about her and what she feels towards him.

if i were in her shoes i would realy wanted to confront and see the one who has hurt me that way face to face. although its a very brave step to do - thats why i give her ton of credit too for doiing what she did- but it was worth it.

she might feel pain, anger and many other mixed feelings but at least she saw him and knew exactly what she feels towards him. do you get my point here? it would be even hearder living all your life thinking about it , i think if she wants to move on ,it would be lot easier to do it now after seeing him.. at least she has nothing to wait for anymore.. you know....

it depends on many things, maybe according to her it was the right thing to do while according to others it wasnt. so its how you see it frrm your own point of view. for me i would excatly do the same.  your brave girl erica!

January 31, 2007, 12:54 pm CST

Why do you need to understand?

Quote From: lilkimyak

January 31, 2007, 1:09 pm CST

02/01 A Difficult Reunion – Part 1

Quote From: airca23

No one knows how they would feel.  All we know is you have lost your mother and your father seems disgusting.

I will watch it tomorrow and have only viewed the preview.  I give Dr Phil credit for dealing such topics as abuse.  As with Kaylee;s situation, this one is extremely sad.

I send my prayers and best wishes.  I do not think anyone is anywhere except on your side and as just stating that they don't understand.  We can't understand but we can stand by you.  Everything I read hear tells me people are on your side and just cause they don't understand why you wanted to see him, does not mean they think anything is wrong with you, but that they don't feel he is entitle to any of your time.

God bless you and all victims of abuse everyway. 

January 31, 2007, 5:21 pm CST

Glad she has closure

If Erica was 2 when this all happened, I'd imagine she has a lot of mixed emotions about her Dad.  Not being able to talk to him about all this would be very frustrating, but at the same time, that's your biological dad.  I hope she realizes that no matter what happened in her past that people in her present and future are there for her.

God bless you Erica :)

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last