Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 02:58:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/05/07) Meet three women ready to divorce their controlling and chauvinistic husbands. In a last-ditch effort to save their marriages – and their sanity – Tara, Amanda and Cherie turn their husbands in to Dr. Phil’s Man Camp, an intensive week-long stay in The Dr. Phil House designed to give them an attitude adjustment and a new appreciation for their wives. Scott has anger issues, Nic had an emotional affair and John thinks he’s superior to all women. Because the wives are also guilty of everything from name-calling to cheating, Dr. Phil brings them in too, unbeknownst to their husbands. All the women say they are tired of being treated like maids, so while the husbands are away, the wives mess up The Dr. Phil House -- in spectacular fashion! Years of pent-up frustration leave the house in a colossal disarray. When the men see the destruction and learn it is their time to clean, tempers flare. One husband refuses to participate and demands an explanation. After a heated discussion, he hangs up on Dr. Phil and storms out, leaving his heart-broken wife behind. Can she convince her husband to return with a participative spirit, or is this the end of their stay … and their relationship? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2007, 11:21 am CST

02/05 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think the woman camp is a great idea.  Women are always trying to "fix" their men, but you never see a guy go into counseling trying to fix his SO.  These women sound like they need a camp too, to work on how to react constructively to their husband's tirades, instead of throwing in the towel or finding a way out because they're unhappy.  The men have their own problems, but the women don't have to be powerless to change the relationship.
 why do you think women are trying to be heard.  there is a difference than being powerless and unhappy.  women have choices and well as men, but the bottom line is how women are heard and treated when they are heard.  This show is not saying women are giving up, they are trying to get the best help possible, because nothing else has worked. do not judge until you live their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2007, 11:28 am CST

I'm so glad I'm not married to a pig.  If my husband EVER treated me like these boys do to their wives there would be a serious problem. 

I'm looking forward to the show as I am genuinely curious as to why these women stuck around.

February 4, 2007, 11:42 am CST

MCP

Quote From: faeryedark

Hello,! I worked 60 hrs. a week  @ factory job while heavily pregnant (morning sickness and all) I'd like to see a man do that and give birth.. then we'll talk K?

By the way, I appreciate what my husband does (works full time) and he appreciates what I do work part-time and take care of three kids most of the household chores, all of the many and varied appts. and all the grocery shopping. I think what it boils down to is respect.

I guess you don't do much except work. My EX husband use to say that I could take a nap anytime I wanted to (sons were 21 months and 6 months). He said I didn't work. I stayed home all day. You sound just like him. Just because you bring home the bacon doesn't mean we just eat it and do nothing all day. How does the house get cleaned; dishes get washed;  laundry get done; ironing get done; meals prepared for children during the day; meals for their husbands; errands get done???? Now that I am divorced, I still continue to do everything and bring the bacon home. Men can't do all of that and not B__ch about it. Men are such male chauvinist pigs!  

February 4, 2007, 11:45 am CST

Men

Hello,! I worked 60 hrs. a week  @ factory job while heavily pregnant (morning sickness and all) I'd like to see a man do that and give birth.. then we'll talk K?

By the way, I appreciate what my husband does (works full time) and he appreciates what I do work part-time and take care of three kids most of the household chores, all of the many and varied appts. and all the grocery shopping. I think what it boils down to is respect.

Your job doesn't stop after 8 hours of work. What about women that work 8 hours a day (out of the house), and then come home, cook, clean, take care of the children and of course the biggest child of all (the husband)! A women's work never ends! Your does according to you. Wouldn't want to be married to you or a man like you. Wake up and smell the coffee buddy!

February 4, 2007, 11:49 am CST

It isn't just about housework

The entire "controlling man" issue is not just about housework. It's about controlling finances, making your spouse beg for money, demanding perfection, belittling everything your family does, acting like just because you bring home the bacon, everyone has to "serve" your needs, and noone else should have any needs or voice them.   Defend that, men.  There IS no defence for that sort of behavior, but many men do this in their lives. It makes everyone involved miserable in the long-run, including the perpetrators.

February 4, 2007, 12:23 pm CST

Gratification HAHA

If you think a woman does not do just as much as a man, think again buddy.  We are all out there in today's society to help our family.  You sound like you think you are superior. well let me tell you respect goes both ways,  women deserve it as well as men, but why do you thinks you think men aren ot appreciated.  This show is not about this and buddy you need an awakening if you feel you deserve more respect,  this show is trying to show America that we are all equals and it is appreciated on both parts to make it work, wake up and smell the coffee, or does your wife do that for you too!!!!

February 4, 2007, 1:38 pm CST

Did you have a bad day?

Quote From: davejfk

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.
If you're willing to trade your job for a new job that's 24/7 without pay then go ahead and be arrogant.

February 4, 2007, 2:09 pm CST

Is this for real?

I can hardly wait to see this show on Mon.?  Yes, I do know of men and women who act this way and my husband and I are always wondering WHY DO THEY STAY TOGETHER?  Yes, I believe you can change some things in your marriage, but the person you married was hopefully someone you took the time to get to really "know?"  The good, the bad and ugly.  Did they show anger in unacceptable ways before?  Were they slobs before?  How did they treat their mom and or sister?  COMMUNICATION is the key to any success. 

My husband and I both WORK.  We are entertainers/singers, and are together 24/7 (because we want to be!)  Trash full?  Empty it...who cares?  Dishwasher full and need emptied?  Who cooks and cleans?  I think all of these tasks are "fore play" and make my husband even more sexy to me!  To walk by and see my husband cleaning up the kitchen and have him turn around to me and say HELLO HONEY while I'm on my way to do laundry or whatever.  Yes, I have heard from many couples that maybe WE are the exception, but I hope that is not true.  RESPECT, and lots of COMMUNICATION are so vital.  

I feel that I have MY own Dr. Phil and boy do I feel blessed.  This man makes me laugh each and every day and he makes it so easy to love him!  I never get tired of looking at him!  A handsome husband making me breakfast every day?  LIFE IS GOOD!  I sure hope you can help these families Dr. Phil.  We will be watching!!!  

February 4, 2007, 3:32 pm CST

Quote From: groovy

My boyfriend (a macho martial arts instructor) washes dishes, sinks, and clothes;  vacuums; and scrubs toilets; as did my previous male roommate.  I know lots of husbands who do housework.  Rather than generalize about all men, please realize you're in an abusive relationship.  Your abuser cusses you out and expects you to obey, while he doesn't life a finger around the house.  Getting your husband to watch the show will probably piss him off. Rather than that, assuming you're not in any immediate physical danger, I suggest you read up on controlling and verbally abusive men.  You DON'T have to put up with this lousy treatment.

Suggested reading:  "The Verbally Abusive Relationship"  by Patricia Evans and "Why Does He Do That" by Lundy Bancroft 

I read both books and thank god i did. Who do these men think they are ? my ex was just like this and i dumped him and would urge any woman to do the same.

February 4, 2007, 5:01 pm CST

Wake Up All

I think that the man camp can be a good thing, but only if they are serious about wanted to see if things can be diffrent. I have had both, the husband that was terrible to me and I worked and cleaned and took care of kids and he worked and came home and layed on the couch and demanded what I did for the rest of the evening, which is not fair, but I tried to change him and in the process all I did was change myself for the worse, which made him even worse. I now have a Husband that works and I also still work and we have kids but when we come home we share the load and we have so much fun doing it. I appreciate him and he appreciates me and we respect one another and that is what it is all about. Life is too short to argue all the time and to say that this one does more than the other and back and forth. Men and women find your medium and compromise and you will be suprised at what comes out of it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last