Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 02:58:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/05/07) Meet three women ready to divorce their controlling and chauvinistic husbands. In a last-ditch effort to save their marriages – and their sanity – Tara, Amanda and Cherie turn their husbands in to Dr. Phil’s Man Camp, an intensive week-long stay in The Dr. Phil House designed to give them an attitude adjustment and a new appreciation for their wives. Scott has anger issues, Nic had an emotional affair and John thinks he’s superior to all women. Because the wives are also guilty of everything from name-calling to cheating, Dr. Phil brings them in too, unbeknownst to their husbands. All the women say they are tired of being treated like maids, so while the husbands are away, the wives mess up The Dr. Phil House -- in spectacular fashion! Years of pent-up frustration leave the house in a colossal disarray. When the men see the destruction and learn it is their time to clean, tempers flare. One husband refuses to participate and demands an explanation. After a heated discussion, he hangs up on Dr. Phil and storms out, leaving his heart-broken wife behind. Can she convince her husband to return with a participative spirit, or is this the end of their stay … and their relationship? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2007, 5:22 pm CST

02/05 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Quote From: davejfk

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.

Dave,

If anyone should watch the show, you should.  I hope your wife has time to tape it for you, <I> know how busy she is!

February 4, 2007, 5:41 pm CST

WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE

Quote From: katheeme

Dave,

If anyone should watch the show, you should.  I hope your wife has time to tape it for you, <I> know how busy she is!

MAN YOU DON'T HOW MUCH YOU SOUNDED LIKE MY EX-HUSBAND AND HIS NAME WAS DAVE.

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, THERE ARE SOME GOOD MEN OUT THERE, BUT THISE MEN ALREADY TAKEN BY THE MOST LUCKY LADIES. THE MEN WHO ACTUALLY HELP THEIR WIVES, WERE TAUGHT RIGHT OR TO SHOW THERE LOVE THEY HELP THERE WIVES TO CAE FOR THE HOUSE AND CHILDREN. THEN THERE ARE THESE TYPW OF MEN WHO THINK THEY ARE GOD AND EVERY WOMAN SHOULD ANSWER TO THEIR EVERY BEG AND CALL. THE MEN WERE TAUGHT TO JUST GO TO WORK  AND COME HOME AND PLOP IN FRONT OF THE TV AND YELL HONEY DO AND HONEY DO THAT. YES I DO KNOW THAT THERE ARE WOMAN WHO JUST SPOIL THEIR HUSBANDS. THIS IS FINE AS LONG AS THEY DON'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. THE WIFE SHOULD BE SPOILED TOO.

THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE ALL MEN SHOULD BE ON A ISLAND AND CALLED UPON WHEN NEEDED.

MAY BE IF A WOMAN RAN THIS COUNTRY WE WOULDN'T BE IN THE TROUBLE WE ARE IN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 4, 2007, 5:55 pm CST

RIGHT TO THE POINT

Quote From: tereshka56

I guess you don't do much except work. My EX husband use to say that I could take a nap anytime I wanted to (sons were 21 months and 6 months). He said I didn't work. I stayed home all day. You sound just like him. Just because you bring home the bacon doesn't mean we just eat it and do nothing all day. How does the house get cleaned; dishes get washed;  laundry get done; ironing get done; meals prepared for children during the day; meals for their husbands; errands get done???? Now that I am divorced, I still continue to do everything and bring the bacon home. Men can't do all of that and not B__ch about it. Men are such male chauvinist pigs!  
HONEY YOU SAID IT ALL IN A NUT SHELL. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A MAN CAMP FOR EVRY MAN THAT IS ABOUT TO GET MARRIED. THIS WAY THEU LEARN EACH OTHER AND THE WOMAN SHOULD HAVE TO DO THE SAME. HAVE THAT THIRD PARTY THERE TO INTERVENE. WISH DR. PHIL COULD GO ON THE ROAD TO COUNSEL PEOPLE. WE MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE FOR THIS COUNTRY TO COME OUT TO BE AHEAD AND NOT IN DEBT.

February 4, 2007, 6:02 pm CST

Down and Out in St. Louis

I wish I could send my husband to Dr. Phil's Man Camp.  My first marriage ended for many reasons and one was the fact that I worked full time outside the house, attended college classes at night to get my bachelor's degree, then came home to my second and unpaid job of housework, cooking, trash, cleaning, bill paying and general upkeep of a child and an adult child who sat on his derrier playing computer games.  My second marriage is not much better. He is more of a slob than the first one.  I quit full time work to complete my degrees and can't get a job so I am in graduate school pursuing a Ph.D. in Political Science.   I am on strike and refuse to clean up after a 57 year old slob.  The house is dusty, things are dirty and I do not care.  My husband retired in June and so did I.  I have put in more than my fair share of chores and outside work over the last 30 years so no I retire.  If the two remaining kids (11 & 13) don't clean dishes etc, then they don't get done -- period.   In addition to this garbage, he is verbally and emotionally abusive and kicked my daughter last year and left bruises on her legs.  He doesn't realize how brutal and mean he is.  I have been through counseling forever now, but, until I am in a position to support myself and my children, I have no avenues to go to.  The lazy slob is a male chauvinist pig in the worst possible way.  All the crude, sexist, racit charaters on TV that we all laugh at as being backwards dinosaurs - Well, I am married to it!!!!!!  There is not much lovable about him to redeem him. 

P.S. I have read the books on abuse - many, many of them. 

I can't do anything until I find a good job.  I can't let my children down.

February 4, 2007, 6:03 pm CST

Message Board Link

I really do like the link to the message board in the newsletter. Lynne

February 4, 2007, 7:12 pm CST

I can tell you why..

Quote From: elffie

I'm so glad I'm not married to a pig.  If my husband EVER treated me like these boys do to their wives there would be a serious problem. 

I'm looking forward to the show as I am genuinely curious as to why these women stuck around.

It's one of at least two-three reasons, and sometimes many, but the main reasons are this:

1. They get their self-esteem beat down so low by men they can't fight back, eventually.

2.  Most women who stay don't have the financial means to support themselves, and the US government has no REAL workable programs in place to help give these women (most who have children) a proper "leg up" so they can get to where they can stand on their own two feet and take care of their children, too.  In fact, SOME government entities just love to pounce on these helpless people, take their children, and RUN.  It's called The Department of Social Services. Yeah right. More like the department of human slavery, both the overworked/underpaid employees, and the people they claim to be helping, but most often they cause more hurt and harm than anything else.

3. Our USA society worships youth, both in it's jobs, and lifestyle.  Many women are in their forties and fifties when it gets so bad they can't handle it, but they feel there is no way out. They haven't been in the work force, they've been home raising their kids, and have NO job experience.  What do you expect them to do, play the "You want more fries with this?" game at their age?  Again, it goes back to possibly having NO family to help, and our government totally dropping the ball when it comes to helping.  Perhaps these women are not church goers, and don't believe in mainstream christianity.  This leaves them out of our dunce President's "faith based initiatives" helping hand.  As if that particular program ever got off the ground, anyway.

Our country is the least family-friendly country in the world.  The only ones worse are four countries in Africa. And you wonder why these women stay? They don't see ANY OTHER FEASIBLE WAY OUT other than dying.

And you might ask, "Why do these women mate with this man in the first place?  There are at least two explanations I can think of:

1. During the initial relationship, these women are so desperate to be loved (having come from dysfunctional families in the first place) they talk themselves into thinking they have the perfect man, denying to themselves and to others what their gut instinct is warning them to see, until it's too late.

2. These types of men are MASTER manipulators.  They can be very charming until they get the woman where they want them, and then BANG, they're caught in the web, longing for a way out back to normalcy, but nowhere to turn, and no hope extended to them for a way out.

I hope this answers your curiousity.

February 4, 2007, 7:20 pm CST

My man fixed me!

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think the woman camp is a great idea.  Women are always trying to "fix" their men, but you never see a guy go into counseling trying to fix his SO.  These women sound like they need a camp too, to work on how to react constructively to their husband's tirades, instead of throwing in the towel or finding a way out because they're unhappy.  The men have their own problems, but the women don't have to be powerless to change the relationship.

My husband believed he was wonderful and that I was "sick", "crazy", etc.  He sent me to counseling to get "fixed" (that was one of the actual words he used).

Took some years but the counselor finally got through to me.  I filed for divorce and left that self-centered, controlling, arrogant, abusive man.

Of course, my husband doesn't think the counseling worked but the truth is that it did.

February 4, 2007, 11:23 pm CST

Let the War of the Sexes Begin! LOL!

I find it sooo funny that there are some men out there that really feel they have a job that comes close to the job a stay at home preforms!   Let me start by saying, I have a wonderful husband! He servers in the Army and takes very good care of his family. But he certainly realizes who has the harder job. He goes to work for 8 or 9 hours a day, gets a paycheck every 2 weeks...and he gets WEEKENDS OFF.  A stay at home mom's job starts at around 6 a.m. and continues til everyone in the house is in the bed and asleep. So guys you do the math, that adds up to more than 8 hours! Now lets talk about WEEKENDS OFF.  HAH, what weekends off?  A stay at home mom never gets weekends off!  We have laundry to gather up from all over the house because no one can seem to find a cloth hamper, then of course clean it and put it away. Dishes to do. Floors to sweep and mop. Carpets to clean. Dusting. And going from room to room and picking up everyone elses stuff and putting things back where they belong. 

Most families have a pet or 2 so in between the cleaning you need to stop and walk the family pet. Then of course there is dinner that needs to be considered in all of this too. Oh, and we can't forget running errands for everyone in the house. Pay the bills on time, keep the t.p. stocked, and of course make sure the home always has plenty of grocerys.  Then it's a mad dash to the bus stop to pick up the kids.

Now that the kids are home we have to tackle homework and fixing snacks. Make sure the kids get their showers and school work together for the next day. Fix dinner and feed everyone. Clean the kitchen and the dishes.  And in between all this, you have to break up the screaming match going on up stairs with your kids. 

And lets not forget about the running the kids to soccer practice, chearleading practice, football games, school dances on weekends, the mall for some hang out and shopping fun with their friends.

Tell me guys, can you put all of this into an 8 hour day? And can you make all of this happen only on Monday- Friday?  And can you do it WITHOUT a PAYCHECK?  And don't forget that bills must go out in a timly fashion, the kids CAN NOT be left waiting at the bus stop. The homework must be finished completly everyday and be checked to make sure it is correct.  Dry cleaning can not sit at the shop for weeks on end. Grocerys must be purchased at least once a week.  Laundry can not pile up. Bedding that everyone sleeps on must be cleaned sooner or later.  Walk your dog. Fix dinner so that everyone has time to eat. Then clean all of it up. Run upstairs and make sure everyone has had a bath and brushed their teeth.

Do I really need to go on?

So guys, when your day ends at 5 or 6 p.m and you come home and sit on the couch pay attention to what is happening around you.  A stay at home mom's job NEVER ends! We don't just sit on the couch at 6 p.m and say, "OK, my day is done."  And we certainly do not get weekends off no matter what.  Our job may not require heavy lifting...that I will agree with. But our job requires multi-tasking, perfect timing, and lots of planning in order to make sure everything is done and running smoothly. You may bring home the money but we make sure the rent is paid, you have power to watch t.v. and warm water to take your showers. Not to mention we do the biggest part in raising the children most of the time.

And back to the statement about my husband knows who has the harder job.  He knows the stay at home job is harder because we swaped roles for 2 months. I brought home the money and he did everything else. When the 2 months was up he was so happy to get back to an 8 hour job. LOL. And since our little experiment he has never said anything about how a women does not work near as hard as a man.

God I can't wait to hear from some of the guys in this room...LOL.

February 4, 2007, 11:39 pm CST

How To React To Your Mans Tirades.

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think the woman camp is a great idea.  Women are always trying to "fix" their men, but you never see a guy go into counseling trying to fix his SO.  These women sound like they need a camp too, to work on how to react constructively to their husband's tirades, instead of throwing in the towel or finding a way out because they're unhappy.  The men have their own problems, but the women don't have to be powerless to change the relationship.
Ladies I think most of us know how to "React To Our Mans TIRADES." LOL. Do we not? I find this paragraph very funny. But I do agree with one sentance you wrote. Us women should not try to change or fix our men.  If the man is the type to go off into a Tirade and not show his companion some respect then I say don't try to change him....just LEAVE HIM!  Yes, that's right...throw in the towel. No one, male or female deserves to be yelled at and treated as a second class citizen.  And if you are unhappy you have every right to get out of a bad situation and find some happiness.  And I am not going to make this a one sided thing. I say this to the men too. If your companion is not giving you the respect you deserve as a person then I think throwing in the towel may be wise for you also.  Life is short for men and women...don't waste your time trying to fix someone that does not want to contribute to a happy, healthy relationship.  That only hurts you and your kids in the long run. There are lots of good men and women out there to choose from. No one should ever feel they have to settle for a bad situation.

February 4, 2007, 11:52 pm CST

LOL!

Quote From: fmn2006

My husband believed he was wonderful and that I was "sick", "crazy", etc.  He sent me to counseling to get "fixed" (that was one of the actual words he used).

Took some years but the counselor finally got through to me.  I filed for divorce and left that self-centered, controlling, arrogant, abusive man.

Of course, my husband doesn't think the counseling worked but the truth is that it did.

Good for you!!!! I am so glad you did the right thing. Why is it women are thought to be "sick or crazy" if she has a voice or opinion of her own?  The fact is, women are a vital part of society. Without us who would populate this planet with more self-centered, controlling men? LOL.  And who would raise and nurture them to be able to fit into society.?

I must admit I have not laughed so hard til I read some of the posts today. Thanks guys for making me laugh. I needed it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last