Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 02:58:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/05/07) Meet three women ready to divorce their controlling and chauvinistic husbands. In a last-ditch effort to save their marriages – and their sanity – Tara, Amanda and Cherie turn their husbands in to Dr. Phil’s Man Camp, an intensive week-long stay in The Dr. Phil House designed to give them an attitude adjustment and a new appreciation for their wives. Scott has anger issues, Nic had an emotional affair and John thinks he’s superior to all women. Because the wives are also guilty of everything from name-calling to cheating, Dr. Phil brings them in too, unbeknownst to their husbands. All the women say they are tired of being treated like maids, so while the husbands are away, the wives mess up The Dr. Phil House -- in spectacular fashion! Years of pent-up frustration leave the house in a colossal disarray. When the men see the destruction and learn it is their time to clean, tempers flare. One husband refuses to participate and demands an explanation. After a heated discussion, he hangs up on Dr. Phil and storms out, leaving his heart-broken wife behind. Can she convince her husband to return with a participative spirit, or is this the end of their stay … and their relationship? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 5, 2007, 3:03 am CST

What A Nancy!!!!

Quote From: davejfk

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.
Women have to constantly prove their job is harder because guys like you wanna act like taking care of a home and kids and all the other little details you know nothing about  is just a cake walk. Well, here's some advice. If you don't like working in 100 degree heat  at some construction site then go get a new job and stop crying about it!  You have a choice in the job you hold down... where a mother does not. The fact is, if she does not do the cleaning and cooking, make sure the bills are paid and the kids are taken care of who is gonna do it? You? LOL!  Wake up...women are the glue that holds a family and home together...not the man. That is one of the toughest jobs in the world. Maybe you should give housewife a try for 2 months then tell me what you think.

February 5, 2007, 5:12 am CST

02/05 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Quote From: ladywolf55

It's one of at least two-three reasons, and sometimes many, but the main reasons are this:

1. They get their self-esteem beat down so low by men they can't fight back, eventually.

2.  Most women who stay don't have the financial means to support themselves, and the US government has no REAL workable programs in place to help give these women (most who have children) a proper "leg up" so they can get to where they can stand on their own two feet and take care of their children, too.  In fact, SOME government entities just love to pounce on these helpless people, take their children, and RUN.  It's called The Department of Social Services. Yeah right. More like the department of human slavery, both the overworked/underpaid employees, and the people they claim to be helping, but most often they cause more hurt and harm than anything else.

3. Our USA society worships youth, both in it's jobs, and lifestyle.  Many women are in their forties and fifties when it gets so bad they can't handle it, but they feel there is no way out. They haven't been in the work force, they've been home raising their kids, and have NO job experience.  What do you expect them to do, play the "You want more fries with this?" game at their age?  Again, it goes back to possibly having NO family to help, and our government totally dropping the ball when it comes to helping.  Perhaps these women are not church goers, and don't believe in mainstream christianity.  This leaves them out of our dunce President's "faith based initiatives" helping hand.  As if that particular program ever got off the ground, anyway.

Our country is the least family-friendly country in the world.  The only ones worse are four countries in Africa. And you wonder why these women stay? They don't see ANY OTHER FEASIBLE WAY OUT other than dying.

And you might ask, "Why do these women mate with this man in the first place?  There are at least two explanations I can think of:

1. During the initial relationship, these women are so desperate to be loved (having come from dysfunctional families in the first place) they talk themselves into thinking they have the perfect man, denying to themselves and to others what their gut instinct is warning them to see, until it's too late.

2. These types of men are MASTER manipulators.  They can be very charming until they get the woman where they want them, and then BANG, they're caught in the web, longing for a way out back to normalcy, but nowhere to turn, and no hope extended to them for a way out.

I hope this answers your curiousity.

I agree. Esp. on your take of "social services" i have a friend who used to work for Children and Youth... and she quit because of their ineptitiude. I also have my share of grouchiness when it comes to govt. help for moms...it's far too little and there are way too many hurdles to jump through.

I volunteer at a local shelter, and try hard to connect as many people to as many services as I can and I can tell you, (in my area at least) the churches do try to help as many a they can and probably do as much good as the govt, programs (most will help regardless of the recipient's faith)

One thing that's desperately lacking in my area are programs to teach people to drive. I know quite a few women who never had the opportunity to learn.(in school) and their ex-husbands/boyfriends never taught them..now they're stuck, and we have NO public transit, only a rattle trap overpriced taxi. I've taught a few myself

BTW, D.P.W. is "supposed" to have a program for this but, the people I've talked to, tell me the eligibility is narrow and the wait is long.

I like the idea of Man camp and will be watching

February 5, 2007, 5:21 am CST

Quote From: dazed101

MAN YOU DON'T HOW MUCH YOU SOUNDED LIKE MY EX-HUSBAND AND HIS NAME WAS DAVE.

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, THERE ARE SOME GOOD MEN OUT THERE, BUT THISE MEN ALREADY TAKEN BY THE MOST LUCKY LADIES. THE MEN WHO ACTUALLY HELP THEIR WIVES, WERE TAUGHT RIGHT OR TO SHOW THERE LOVE THEY HELP THERE WIVES TO CAE FOR THE HOUSE AND CHILDREN. THEN THERE ARE THESE TYPW OF MEN WHO THINK THEY ARE GOD AND EVERY WOMAN SHOULD ANSWER TO THEIR EVERY BEG AND CALL. THE MEN WERE TAUGHT TO JUST GO TO WORK  AND COME HOME AND PLOP IN FRONT OF THE TV AND YELL HONEY DO AND HONEY DO THAT. YES I DO KNOW THAT THERE ARE WOMAN WHO JUST SPOIL THEIR HUSBANDS. THIS IS FINE AS LONG AS THEY DON'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. THE WIFE SHOULD BE SPOILED TOO.

THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE ALL MEN SHOULD BE ON A ISLAND AND CALLED UPON WHEN NEEDED.

MAY BE IF A WOMAN RAN THIS COUNTRY WE WOULDN'T BE IN THE TROUBLE WE ARE IN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE ALL MEN SHOULD BE ON A ISLAND AND CALLED UPON WHEN NEEDED."

You just  confirmed the sexist and unappreciative attitude that women have towards men.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Women want all the respect in the world and aren't willing to give any of the respect back.  It's okay for a woman to be sexist and make statements like that but God forbid a man say something like that and it's World War III.

February 5, 2007, 5:24 am CST

Quote From: fmn2006

If you're willing to trade your job for a new job that's 24/7 without pay then go ahead and be arrogant.
A roof over your head, clothes on your back, food on the table and electricity hardly seems to be without pay.  But I know.  You're a woman and your job is 100 times harder than any man's job.

February 5, 2007, 6:29 am CST

turn BOYS into MEN

I hope Dr. Phil's camp can turn these BOYS into MEN...Men think it is macho to be bullies, and demanding upon their wives, and  when they think the wife should bow down to their needs and demands..that isnt being a MAN..that is being s spoiled little BOY...A real MAN shows respect to his wife, and treats her like a human being, not some subservient slave dedicated to fulfilling HIS needs...sorry guys, if you wanted a mother to cater to you, you shouldn't have ever left home....

February 5, 2007, 6:33 am CST

wake up ladies!!!!!

I hope these ladies will wake up and realize that they do not have to take this crap from these guys...that they can find some self worth and self esteem...and that "No",this isnt all there is ...If my hubby of 35 years, ever treated me like this, i would have been gone a long time ago...........no woman should have to "put up" with this nonsense just because she is married, or has kids from a jerk like this......kids learn what they live, and i hope that none of their sons or daughters grow up and think this is OK...to treat or be treated this way..

February 5, 2007, 6:39 am CST

Quote From: fmn2006

My husband believed he was wonderful and that I was "sick", "crazy", etc.  He sent me to counseling to get "fixed" (that was one of the actual words he used).

Took some years but the counselor finally got through to me.  I filed for divorce and left that self-centered, controlling, arrogant, abusive man.

Of course, my husband doesn't think the counseling worked but the truth is that it did.

Women need to realize that they can not change there men.  These women need to wake up and do something.  These men have them so brain washed that no one wants them and they are the "best " they will ever get the women need to see that they are so much stronger and therre is so much help for them.. Leave and show them who is in charge..

February 5, 2007, 6:44 am CST

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.
I think you answered your own questions. I don't currently stay home, but I have in the past, and luckily, I have a wonderfully understanding husband. For the working parent, you go to work for 8 hours, and while it might be very hard work physically, you get to come home and rest at the end of your shift. The stay-at-home parent doesn't have the luxury of working an 8 hour day. And while the work may not be physically challenging, it is very emotionally challenging to care for, play with, and teach young children. I would be willing to bet that if the two parents switched places for a week, they would both be ready to return to their original jobs. Yes, I do think it is easy to take the working parent for granted, because we so desperately need a break by that point. But the best way to teach your spouse to appreciate what you do is to apprecieate what he/she does. Even now, as a working mom, I would be willing to say I put in more hours between work and home than my husband, and I'm ok with that, because he helps when I need him to, and he helps every day. Just might want to think about it a bit more.

February 5, 2007, 6:51 am CST

Scott

people...that boy needs his ass whipped big time....and his wife should run from that nut!

February 5, 2007, 6:51 am CST

Nothing to prove

I don't have to prove anything to any man.  Never have felt that need.  I worked beside my father as a carpenter.  I have worked in rodeo.  I have worked as a meat cutter.  I put myself through college as a single mom and worked while I was going to school.  I have worked outside in 100 degree heat and still do occasionally.  I don't need a man to bring home the bacon.  I can bring my own home and cook it as well.  I can do all the housework, yardwork, work full time, and still raise a child.  Did you forget Rosie the Riveter and all the women before her who worked on farms and still did all the cooking, cleaning, and child raising?  Did you forget all the women who kept things together while men went exploring or to war?  Did you forget the only thing we need men for is reproduction?  And now we don't even need men for that.  We keep you all around because we like your company most of the time.  Men and women are different but compatible.  There are bad women as well as men.  We make a good team if respect is mutual.  When it isn't things need to change.  Get over yourself.  If you don't get any compliments from your wife, tell her so.  I always thank my husband when he does something nice, as does he.  Be kind and gracious to each other.  If your wife doesn't let you know when you have dones something special, tell her.  Communication is vital and is always a 2-way street.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last