Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 02:58:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/05/07) Meet three women ready to divorce their controlling and chauvinistic husbands. In a last-ditch effort to save their marriages – and their sanity – Tara, Amanda and Cherie turn their husbands in to Dr. Phil’s Man Camp, an intensive week-long stay in The Dr. Phil House designed to give them an attitude adjustment and a new appreciation for their wives. Scott has anger issues, Nic had an emotional affair and John thinks he’s superior to all women. Because the wives are also guilty of everything from name-calling to cheating, Dr. Phil brings them in too, unbeknownst to their husbands. All the women say they are tired of being treated like maids, so while the husbands are away, the wives mess up The Dr. Phil House -- in spectacular fashion! Years of pent-up frustration leave the house in a colossal disarray. When the men see the destruction and learn it is their time to clean, tempers flare. One husband refuses to participate and demands an explanation. After a heated discussion, he hangs up on Dr. Phil and storms out, leaving his heart-broken wife behind. Can she convince her husband to return with a participative spirit, or is this the end of their stay … and their relationship? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 5, 2007, 7:08 am CST

02/05 The Dr. Phil House: Man Camp

Quote From: davejfk

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.

I can pay my own electric and water, so talk to me after you give birth a couple of times.

February 5, 2007, 7:12 am CST

I am a woman...

Quote From: cherijohn_91

why do you think women are trying to be heard.  there is a difference than being powerless and unhappy.  women have choices and well as men, but the bottom line is how women are heard and treated when they are heard.  This show is not saying women are giving up, they are trying to get the best help possible, because nothing else has worked. do not judge until you live their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't judging anyone, i was making a social comment.  Seems like you were doing the judging on my comment.   Are you saying you can be powerless AND happy?  That doesn't seem like a good situation to begin with.  If women could learn how to have power in their relationships they wouldn't BE here!  If they WERE unhappy, and had the power, why would they STAY unhappy?  Unless they enjoy being unhappy.

February 5, 2007, 7:16 am CST

Quote From: scolleena

I think you answered your own questions. I don't currently stay home, but I have in the past, and luckily, I have a wonderfully understanding husband. For the working parent, you go to work for 8 hours, and while it might be very hard work physically, you get to come home and rest at the end of your shift. The stay-at-home parent doesn't have the luxury of working an 8 hour day. And while the work may not be physically challenging, it is very emotionally challenging to care for, play with, and teach young children. I would be willing to bet that if the two parents switched places for a week, they would both be ready to return to their original jobs. Yes, I do think it is easy to take the working parent for granted, because we so desperately need a break by that point. But the best way to teach your spouse to appreciate what you do is to apprecieate what he/she does. Even now, as a working mom, I would be willing to say I put in more hours between work and home than my husband, and I'm ok with that, because he helps when I need him to, and he helps every day. Just might want to think about it a bit more.
As a stay-at-home-mom, myself, I can see both sides of the dilemma....My husband and I used to have a great deal of issue with who's supposed to do what, since we were both working full-time jobs and raising our child.  After the birth of our second child, we were all involved in an accident, that left me with little choice, but to stay home.....I was physically (and emotionally) unable to return to the work place, at that time.  So, we've learned---as a family---how to get things done.  I used to feel so unappreciated and used, but I understand the things my husband (and kids) had to endure, in order for me to be who I am today, and that's enough.  So, any time I feel that way, I just tell them, and we work it out.  If you're meant to be together, there has to be a somewhat happy medium---a place where you can meet and agree how/what/when/why certain things are supposed to be that way; otherwise, why get married, in the first place, and put anyone else through more drama?  And, has anyone stopped to consider what kind of issues the kids have or will have, because of the things they've seen/heard???  THINK...............

February 5, 2007, 7:23 am CST

Wasn't saying...

Quote From: ohdang13

Ladies I think most of us know how to "React To Our Mans TIRADES." LOL. Do we not? I find this paragraph very funny. But I do agree with one sentance you wrote. Us women should not try to change or fix our men.  If the man is the type to go off into a Tirade and not show his companion some respect then I say don't try to change him....just LEAVE HIM!  Yes, that's right...throw in the towel. No one, male or female deserves to be yelled at and treated as a second class citizen.  And if you are unhappy you have every right to get out of a bad situation and find some happiness.  And I am not going to make this a one sided thing. I say this to the men too. If your companion is not giving you the respect you deserve as a person then I think throwing in the towel may be wise for you also.  Life is short for men and women...don't waste your time trying to fix someone that does not want to contribute to a happy, healthy relationship.  That only hurts you and your kids in the long run. There are lots of good men and women out there to choose from. No one should ever feel they have to settle for a bad situation.

The problem with these message boards is people misinterpreting a legitamate message.  Glad i could amuse you....ugh.  I'm not talking about abuse.  I'm not talking about cheating.  I'm talking about the chauvinist and the angry guy.  Those are problems the woman can deal with sans "throwing in the towel".  IF you're unhappy, you should have the power to extricate yourself from your unhappiness without leaving the relationship in the proverbial shambles.  You can use your man's eccentricities to your advantage.  You can use his anger/chauvinism by channeling it into productivity- "honey, do you want to go jogging with me?", "I bet you CAN'T fix the sink" (inspiring the "I can show you" attitude, and the sink is fixed). 

I think women could use their own camp to work on themselves.  You never see any woman (and very few men for that matter), say "I'm the problem" and be willing to work on themselves to better their relationship.  There's ALWAYS room for improvement in any relationhip.  I just wish people would try to improve themselves as well as focusing on the problem, instead of projecting their  problems (not that these women are) onto their SO's.

February 5, 2007, 7:33 am CST

Bullsh**!!

I don't understand why women have to constantly prove to men that their job as a stay at home mom is a hundred times tougher than any job that a man could have.  Women have absolutely no appreciation for anything that a man has to do.  Little things like put a roof over your head.  Put food on the table.  Electricity, water.  Y'know.  Little stuff.  I'd love to see a woman camp where women go to a construction site for 8 hours a day in the 100 degree heat and hammer nails and tar roofs 5 days a week.  Or better yet.  Skip the woman camp and when a husband comes home at the end of the day, say thanks for working hard for the family.  Women need compliments for doing even the smallest thing.  Men get no gratitude for doing anything.

That is such crap. Most women have an appreciation of what their husbands do. Just because a woman sometimes gets to stay at home, doesn't mean she sits all day on the couch to watch TV!!!.

I'm in my early 20s. I work full time, before christmas I was working 40 hours/week, finishing my bachelor degree (5 courses for the semester), cleaned the house, washed the dishes, took out the garbage, cooked, did laundry... and my husband had the nerve to be mean if he had to go to work and he didn't have clean socks. Like it was my job to do everything for him. I bring home more than twice the money he makes. I work hard, and I have to do everything in our house too. And I'm having a difficult pregnancy, as well, at the same time!  So if you wanna talk about woman being unnappreciative of what a man does, think about what a woman has to do sometimes. I've worked outside, I've done manual labour. Now I do office work. Which is maybe not physically challenging, but it is emotionnaly challenging at times. My husband now sees how hard I work, and help me, but, for months, when he came back home from work, aroung the same time I did, instead of thanking me for paying for everything, cleaning up, etc, all he could say was: What, supper isn't ready yet?

February 5, 2007, 8:04 am CST

What is wrong with men today?My parents were married 45 yrs. when passed away in 1992.I NEVER heard them argue or fight.My father never cussed at my mother or ever called her names.He picked up after himself and helped with us kids.All 6 of us.He was in the Army and even though he was gone alot (WWll,Vietnam,etc.) he taught us values,respect.If my brothers had ever treated their wives like these men do,your man camp would be a picnic compared to what he would have done.Thank you Dr.Phil for letting those men know that in 30 yrs. you have never spoken to Robin in that way.It's time for respect to come back in marriages.Both men and women.In order to get respect you have to give it.

February 5, 2007, 8:13 am CST

Listen up!

Number ONE.. I  am a stay at home MOM.. i work from the time I get up in the morning till the time I go to bed.. I have 3 little ones  ranging from 4years -2 years-4 months  and beleive me.. its no sitting on the couch watching soaps and eating Bonbons..

Lets see I get up at 6:30 am  I change my youngest get dressed  put her in her swing go  check to see if my other two are awake if they are get them up get them dressed and ready for day,  feed everyone breakfast ,  unload the dishwasher from the night before put in the dirty dishes to  be washed..  While the older two are eating breakfast and occupied I run down 2 flights of stairs  to start the laundry cause beleive me 3 little ones generate alot of laundry..  I avaerage 4 loads a day  this is washing, drying, folding, putting away..  Mean while I have floors to clean, meals to cook , bills to pay  phones to answer, calls to make  and some where in all this  I have to find the time to shower and maybe if i have time today wash my hair....

OHHHHH did I mention I run my own business   being a nursery *flowers* plus I work for 5 months out of the year at an actually running nursery  and garden centre  and during the summer months I do landscaping for some people.. 

Where is my husband in all this?? well he works as well  he has 2 months off the entire year if he is lucky..   to be able to relax and breathe and not even then cause he is usually doing stuff consistently for his mother who is elderly and our elderly  neighbour..  So how in all this he finds time to volunteer with our fire department which i am a fundraising  chief for.. now you tell me..

Do I just sit home and eat BON BONS???

My husband knows i appreciate him  and like wise.. it has to be  a two way deal.. that how marriages work..  LEARN THAT Quick  otherwise yours will never last

February 5, 2007, 8:25 am CST

Out of Control

I just watched the 2/5/07 show , and  Scott is totally out of control , immature and needs serious help with his attitude problem .He has serious anger and control issue .Nobody is perfect but I feel for his wife. I had an ex-husband who treated me the same way and that lasted about 3 yrs and I HAD to get out of it . I could`nt  keep putting myself through that  or my son .Until Scott can acknowledge he has a problem ,you can`t fix it .He does`nt have a clue that he has one .

February 5, 2007, 8:35 am CST

Quote From: gwarrior6

I wasn't judging anyone, i was making a social comment.  Seems like you were doing the judging on my comment.   Are you saying you can be powerless AND happy?  That doesn't seem like a good situation to begin with.  If women could learn how to have power in their relationships they wouldn't BE here!  If they WERE unhappy, and had the power, why would they STAY unhappy?  Unless they enjoy being unhappy.
I was listening to Dr. Phil show today without looking at the screen, than at the end of the show when the guy freaked out about nothing, I stop and watched and it took me back a few years when I lived with the same kind of man and the hair stood up in the back of my neck.  The woman who lives with him should take the children and run and never look back and start repairing the damage I saw that he has done to her.  This man likes the why he behaves.

February 5, 2007, 8:36 am CST

Well said.

Quote From: prettyinred

That is such crap. Most women have an appreciation of what their husbands do. Just because a woman sometimes gets to stay at home, doesn't mean she sits all day on the couch to watch TV!!!.

I'm in my early 20s. I work full time, before christmas I was working 40 hours/week, finishing my bachelor degree (5 courses for the semester), cleaned the house, washed the dishes, took out the garbage, cooked, did laundry... and my husband had the nerve to be mean if he had to go to work and he didn't have clean socks. Like it was my job to do everything for him. I bring home more than twice the money he makes. I work hard, and I have to do everything in our house too. And I'm having a difficult pregnancy, as well, at the same time!  So if you wanna talk about woman being unnappreciative of what a man does, think about what a woman has to do sometimes. I've worked outside, I've done manual labour. Now I do office work. Which is maybe not physically challenging, but it is emotionnaly challenging at times. My husband now sees how hard I work, and help me, but, for months, when he came back home from work, aroung the same time I did, instead of thanking me for paying for everything, cleaning up, etc, all he could say was: What, supper isn't ready yet?

Well said.  Respect works both ways in a marriage.  Help each other out in the house, cleaning, laundry, dishes, etc.  Regardless if the woman has to stay at home, the husband can pitch in and help out with ALL the house work and help with the children.  It's NOT only on the woman's shoulders to do "EVERYTHING!!!!"  We woman do get tired just as well to keep the house clean, make dinner, etc.  It takes "two" to make a family and it does take two to share "ALL" the responsiblitles in the house!!!!   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last