Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2007, 1:44 pm CST

“How’s My Big Fat Baby?”

Hello Everyone

This is nothing more than the parents teaching there very young children poor eating habits. There parents are driving the food. There parents are pushing them to eat probably more for their interest and entertainment. This type of Obesity at this young of an age does nothing but contribute to them being currently obese and Morbidly obese later in there life as they get older. If its not properly taken care of...........

February 4, 2007, 1:51 pm CST

PARENTS " YOUR AT FAULT.

Quote From: angelgirl11

Being fat is not good for a child or an adult.  It cause health problems and can end up killing you. Like heartattack and so on!
GET STARTED ON SOMETHING WITH YOUR CHILD.  PUT HIM ON A DIET FOR GOD'S SAKE OR HAVE HIS THYROID CHECKED.  IT COULD BE THAT OR HEREDITY. 

February 4, 2007, 5:59 pm CST

Ignorant Parents

Our society gets on ban wagons without thinking through pro & cons of issues that are of interest to us. Department of Family Children Services at some point might investigate a complaint of a child not receiving enough food.  Parents/Caregivers will then face legal charges of neglect.  But how many reports do Department of Family Children Services receive on a grossly obese child such as the picture shown.  Without a doubt a parent/caregiver is guilty of proper care of their child and must face legal chareges of neglect & abuse.

A parent/caregiver that allows a child to reach such obesity clearly does not have the best interest of the child's health at interest.  I have had the unpleasureable expierence of taking care of some of the children in their later life. 

As a nurse, I have seen a young man in his 20's weiging in excess of 700 lbs.  After receiving gastric bypass surgery, his mother would continue to bring in sacks of food for him to eat.  Of course his body would not accept this type of food and interevention was put into place to stop the mother from bringing food into the hospital.

Another case was another man that weight was less, it was in the 300 lb range.  His mom brought in food to him.  His mom would also sleep on the floor of his room.  This man had repeated admittances to the hospital for various reason we dreaded the mom.  After a few years something happened to this young man and he was successful in loosing down into the 190 lbs and has been successful in keeping it off.

There is no way that I will watch this show  because I find it repulsvie and the parents being in need of mental health care.

February 5, 2007, 6:49 am CST

02/07 “How’s My Big Fat Baby?”

Quote From: vjonesrn63

I am a health care provider and have taken care of kids for over 12 years. I think that it's appalling for parents to allow children to become so unhealthy. I have a nephew that is 6 years old and he weighs more than a 125lbs. I blame his obesity on his mother  my sister). She doesn't prepare healthy meals and allows him to drink sodas like water. I have explained to her  the importance of weight loss for him because she describes to me what appears to be sleep apnea. As a health care provider I believe that these kids should be taken from those parents who absolutely don't care or get it. These kids could be placed in an environment that would be conducive to weight loss therefore improving and in most cases reversing the damage that has already  been done. This only one health care providers opinion. Does anyone  else have any suggestions on how the parents should get a grip?

Hello Everyone

I totally agree it the parents to blame.. How can you let your child eat a hole large pizza for lunch or dinner or what ever they want for that matter.. You just cannot let them eat everything they want.. How can parents think that is normal and ok and say " my kid is just healthy"  NOT.  I agree that these  these kids need to be placed in a enviornment but also the parents need to go to classes to teach them about healthy alturnitives to foods and excersise.. I hope that Dr. Phil can help both the parents and children ..

February 5, 2007, 7:39 am CST

Don't be so quick to judge

My response to apurple.......I agree that it is the parents responsibility for what their children eat. My son was a big eater his first year, his pediatrician said babies will not over eat. He was strictly breast fed until 6 months, about killed me :) but he was off the charts for weight and height. He now eats the same or less than his 42lb 4 yr old brother but continues to grow. I agree however when you see an overweight child eating fast food it is sad. There needs to be education for the parents,and not so much criticism. Most people do what they grew up doing.

Just my two cents

February 5, 2007, 9:10 am CST

Obese Children/Obese Parents

Doesn't it seem strange that these morbidly obese children have obese parents? 

I wonder, too, how much money is the mother of the 200 lb 5 year old getting paid for the story to be on The Insider?  What good is this child being on The Insider going to do for the child?

It's totally disgusting to hear these parents say they have no idea how their children got to be soooo obese.

I'm tired of parents that DON'T take responsibility for being bad parents!  It's not rocket science!

February 5, 2007, 9:26 am CST

really now come on

really now come on the parents sould be charge with gross negelt cause i dont think it was the childs fault for eating so much the parents are the ones feed the child and cook for the child,the parents are responsible for chossing the right foods and snacks for the child, if the parents dont know hoe to do this they should get help to do so

February 5, 2007, 11:06 am CST

Just wondering

I understand that parents should limit what their children eat, but I think other factors need to be considered. How about the rise of obesity and its proportion to the use of high fructose corn syrup in foods? The extra sweetness makes us crave more food, the high fructose corn syrup isn't digested in the same way, it effects fat formation, it supposedly shuts down the "I'm full" notifier in the brain. If we are going to be berating parents for what they allow, shouldn't we be also berating the food industry for creating foods that exacerbate the problem? I have two children, biologically non-related, same age. One is thin, one is chunky. The second eats a little more than the first, but is more active. We are trying to prevent our kids from eating high fructose corn syrup products because we know it turns off the "I'm full" receptor, and the second child is always hungry. We parent them the same way. Some parents may feel that their kids will self regulate, stop eating when they are full. With current processed food products, some kids won't self regulate. I have three kids who did, one who doesn't. I'm trying to limit food intake without making food an emotional or psychological issue for my children. It is a delicate balance between watching weight and obsessing over weight. Our society encourages people to be underweight and puts forth that image for public consumption. I have real trouble with the judgment and the way some posters flame the parents. Until you have heard the full story, you have no right to make judgments. Food issues are complex as are family issues. If parenting had a handbook it would need to be rewritten for each child. Take it easy on the parents until you hear the full story.

February 5, 2007, 1:58 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: sxysybie

Doesn't it seem strange that these morbidly obese children have obese parents? 

I wonder, too, how much money is the mother of the 200 lb 5 year old getting paid for the story to be on The Insider?  What good is this child being on The Insider going to do for the child?

It's totally disgusting to hear these parents say they have no idea how their children got to be soooo obese.

I'm tired of parents that DON'T take responsibility for being bad parents!  It's not rocket science!

It seems very logical to me that the parents are obese themselves. They don't know how to eat properly so they bring their children up in the same manner. Children mimic what they see and if they see their parents over eating than it seems logical that they would be over eaters too.

February 5, 2007, 2:34 pm CST

Add activity

These parents need to add activities to help burn the calories.  Plan family activities, go to the park, teach them to ride a bike, swim, play soccer, t-ball, dancing, martial arts, etc.  Many children eat out of boredom (and will eat b/c that's all they have been taught to do to stave off boredom).  The parents are (if these aren't medical problems) setting up the children with very unhealthy habits early on-food should be about hunger, not entertainment-and the right kinds of food.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last