Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 5, 2007, 3:15 pm CST

also...

Quote From: gwarrior6

These parents need to add activities to help burn the calories.  Plan family activities, go to the park, teach them to ride a bike, swim, play soccer, t-ball, dancing, martial arts, etc.  Many children eat out of boredom (and will eat b/c that's all they have been taught to do to stave off boredom).  The parents are (if these aren't medical problems) setting up the children with very unhealthy habits early on-food should be about hunger, not entertainment-and the right kinds of food.
I forgot to add that if you add activity, you can stop the obesity from spilling over into adulthood.  Many children who are obese in childhood are obese adults.  Some just grow into their weight, but activity keeps you healthy.

February 5, 2007, 6:57 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Other than the obvious over eating problems todays children have gotten lazy. They do nothing but sit at their computers or video games they don't get out and play like they used to. Children used to play outside and not be allowed to come in until dinner time. Kids eat out of boredom if they were not allowed to play in the house and made to play outside than they wouldn't be obese. I can't recall but maybe one or two truly obese children when I was a kid and their problems was truly physical.

February 5, 2007, 7:47 pm CST

I disagree

Quote From: powers009

Other than the obvious over eating problems todays children have gotten lazy. They do nothing but sit at their computers or video games they don't get out and play like they used to. Children used to play outside and not be allowed to come in until dinner time. Kids eat out of boredom if they were not allowed to play in the house and made to play outside than they wouldn't be obese. I can't recall but maybe one or two truly obese children when I was a kid and their problems was truly physical.
 I think that while some physical activity (up to an hour) is good, too much isn't good.  Skinny  doesnt neccessaril=good.  We should have slighly stockey built men and healthy sized women.  People are incredibly obtuse when it comes to weight.  Its better to have a BMI of 24-25 than 21-23.  If you do cardio and have a 24-25 BMI and you also do cardio with 21-23 I firmly believe and my doctor does as well the 24-25 BMI person will have slightly better health especially when it comes to battling colds.  Im 5'10'' 170 and I jog everyday 40 minutes fast with a  5 minute cool down.  But  to say be active for 3-4 hours everyday thats nonsense.  Its unrelistic, impractical and unfair on the kids.  It all comes down to how well you work your heart.  A strong heart even in an overweight person is gonna outlive a lazy skinny guy.  Eating good is important too. 

February 6, 2007, 3:39 am CST

Quote From: dmm5073

I think that while some physical activity (up to an hour) is good, too much isn't good.  Skinny  doesnt neccessaril=good.  We should have slighly stockey built men and healthy sized women.  People are incredibly obtuse when it comes to weight.  Its better to have a BMI of 24-25 than 21-23.  If you do cardio and have a 24-25 BMI and you also do cardio with 21-23 I firmly believe and my doctor does as well the 24-25 BMI person will have slightly better health especially when it comes to battling colds.  Im 5'10'' 170 and I jog everyday 40 minutes fast with a  5 minute cool down.  But  to say be active for 3-4 hours everyday thats nonsense.  Its unrelistic, impractical and unfair on the kids.  It all comes down to how well you work your heart.  A strong heart even in an overweight person is gonna outlive a lazy skinny guy.  Eating good is important too. 
Yes eating properly is important but we are raising a bunch of couch potatoes. Maybe if children got outside for 40 minutes a day but they don't even do that. I didn't say anything about skinny. I was a healthy child not skinny but there was not a fat bone in my body either.

February 6, 2007, 3:40 am CST

So true

I remember being  a kid and there was nothing to do inside when I was growing up. We did not have 100 t.v. channels to choose from, PSP's, computers, XBox, playstations...none of that. We had tree swings, bicycles, roller skates, jump ropes, hola hoops( God do you guys remember those? lol)  and of course the big tree to climb in. Rain or shine, summer or winter I always wanted to be outside...that's where all the stuff to do was.  It was just plain torture to a child when I was growing up to have to sit still indoors. Punishment for us people that were raised in that  time period was not being allowed to go outside.

It is the total opposite these days. It is a punishment to a kid if they have to go outside. I force my kids to get outside and play around. And I always get that look(you know the look)lol... and then I hear,"What are we supposed to do outside? I wanna play the XBox...it's boring outside!" My answer is ," use your imagination. Try to expand your minds outside the gaming system for a while". Now my kids are really looking at me like I've grown a 3rd eye from my head. lol.

I read up on some research out there that playing for kids is essential to growth...both helping the body to grow but also helping the brain to grow stronger. Imagination is a wonderful brain builder.  A child that plays outdoors for 3 for 4 hours at a time will by no means hurt them. They will not imaciate right before your eyes as one person tried to imply.  All that extra activity will certainly make them want to eat a little more but because their motabolisim is increased so will their fat burning ability get much better. 

I think you have hit the nail right on head with your comments.

February 6, 2007, 8:52 am CST

eating disorder

I I just wanted to share my story. My son was diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrom when he was 15 months old. I totook him to the best doctors starting at 7 months old. With Prader Willi Syndrome the hypothalmus in the brain does not communicate that the stomach is full. Therefore, the individual is always hungry. These children are not getting the proper dianosis. Everyone is afraid to put a young child on a diet. Do not walk but run to a qualified nutrionist, preferably one familiar with Prader Willi. My son is now 23 and at 5'8" is 150 lbs. All my friends continually support me and tell me what a good job I did. I was very lucky to find out what his problem was before he became out of control. However, being the parent, I did take charge and only gave him the food he should have, not the food he shouldnt. For all of you struggling with an out of control child, please contact praderwilli.org and they will give you everything you need to tackle your overweight child.

February 6, 2007, 9:12 am CST

Parents hold all the cards !

It is not the child's responsiblity to eat well. It is his/her parents to MAKE him eat well.

My husband and I are both overweight (but on the road back to good health). Our children are age 12 and ag 6 and neither is overweight. That's not accidental; we have always MADE our children eat healthy breakfasts, healthy lunches (even school boxed lunches) and healthy, sit-down, relaxed family meals around the table. We have limited junk foods and candy (along w/ fast foods) and made sure our children do NOT eat late at night and do NOT sit around w/o excercise.

We love our kids and do not want them to be unhealthy (as we are). We also do not want to make their childhoods any more difficult than normal by being fat (kids are so cruel).

Allowing a child to get and stay overweight (for whatever excuses!) is not acceptable. It's one of the cruelest things you can do to children.  To me, it's child abuse, whether  or not a parent intends to harm his/her child.

February 6, 2007, 9:16 am CST

Kids can't play outside as they once did

Yes, too many kids are babysat by computers, video gams, cell phones and televsions. But also remember that kids nowadays can't just run and play outside as most of us did. They cannot go out alone or even with a few friends unless their parents are outside to watch them (we live in dangerous, different times....sadly).

Therefore, many kids are placed in organized sports and activities, but many of these cost money (lots of $$$ when we are talking about multiple kids). There are many families who don't have the money for organized sports, etc.

And when Mom and/or Dad is not home to supervise, kids will gravitate to computers, Playstations, etc. That's why we are BLESSED to be able to live on my husband's income alone so my children have a mother to return to...and I can keep them off their butts and out being active!

February 6, 2007, 11:37 am CST

Quote From: flthomcat

Yes, too many kids are babysat by computers, video gams, cell phones and televsions. But also remember that kids nowadays can't just run and play outside as most of us did. They cannot go out alone or even with a few friends unless their parents are outside to watch them (we live in dangerous, different times....sadly).

Therefore, many kids are placed in organized sports and activities, but many of these cost money (lots of $$$ when we are talking about multiple kids). There are many families who don't have the money for organized sports, etc.

And when Mom and/or Dad is not home to supervise, kids will gravitate to computers, Playstations, etc. That's why we are BLESSED to be able to live on my husband's income alone so my children have a mother to return to...and I can keep them off their butts and out being active!

Maybe parents could do something for their children like get out with them and take a walk. I have seen some of these parents too and it would not hurt for them to take a walk with their children. After all walking is free.

February 6, 2007, 11:42 am CST

Quote From: ohdang13

I remember being  a kid and there was nothing to do inside when I was growing up. We did not have 100 t.v. channels to choose from, PSP's, computers, XBox, playstations...none of that. We had tree swings, bicycles, roller skates, jump ropes, hola hoops( God do you guys remember those? lol)  and of course the big tree to climb in. Rain or shine, summer or winter I always wanted to be outside...that's where all the stuff to do was.  It was just plain torture to a child when I was growing up to have to sit still indoors. Punishment for us people that were raised in that  time period was not being allowed to go outside.

It is the total opposite these days. It is a punishment to a kid if they have to go outside. I force my kids to get outside and play around. And I always get that look(you know the look)lol... and then I hear,"What are we supposed to do outside? I wanna play the XBox...it's boring outside!" My answer is ," use your imagination. Try to expand your minds outside the gaming system for a while". Now my kids are really looking at me like I've grown a 3rd eye from my head. lol.

I read up on some research out there that playing for kids is essential to growth...both helping the body to grow but also helping the brain to grow stronger. Imagination is a wonderful brain builder.  A child that plays outdoors for 3 for 4 hours at a time will by no means hurt them. They will not imaciate right before your eyes as one person tried to imply.  All that extra activity will certainly make them want to eat a little more but because their motabolisim is increased so will their fat burning ability get much better. 

I think you have hit the nail right on head with your comments.

Thank you and yes I do remember the hola hoop. I remember getting outside with my dog and playing. I remember climbing trees and my friends coming over and pretending to be cowboys and indians. I had a blast. I can't imagine what life would have been like if I was kept indoors. We didn't live in the country but we was still outside and having fun.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last