Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 26, 2007, 6:52 pm CDT

Weight issues

Quote From: koolaidemom

You so took everything I said and twisted it.  It is the children that I feel bad for.  They learn from the parents.  And yes, many parents allow the kids to sit in front of the TVs etc all day and yes, many parents run their kids ragged without a good meal.  I see it all the time around us and I agree with you about what happened to home cooked nutritional meals.  That is one thing that I always insist on.  Whether we have a game or not my kids get home cooked meals before the game instead of junk after the game.  Many nights I stay up late making meals so that they can be reheated quickly before a game.  You seem so angry and judgemental about what I had to say.  I think that this is the parents and yes, I know that people may not be able to help that they gain weight.  My sister is one of those and has to eat differently now because of it.  I'm not an insensitive idiot.  I know and understand these things but I will stick to the fact that I believe much of it starts with turning off the electronics and pushing away from the table.  Once you start with those basics you can figure out if it's medical, laziness or poor education.

I have noticed the same things you have said you notice about children not playing out side anymore. But the answer is this, unless your are able to stand outside with your child and watch them 24/7 (talking about young children under the age of 10) its unsafe for them to just be running around. In my area there are wild animals like in many other states, we hear about a child getting attacked and then we ask "why werent the parents there?" cause its hard to watch them 24/7 so now they just keep inside more. And animals are the least of the problems we have pedophiler's showing up everywhere now that its more and more parents thinking "fat kid or a child that is taking?"

JMO

June 28, 2007, 10:16 pm CDT

Shocked and Apalled

I watched this show for the 1st time today, and was floored at the parent's.  I think Dr. Phil did an excellant job of trying to wake up those parents.

What the 1st father said that shocked me is that "he can make the decision later on in his life."  What he's obviously clueless about, is the fact that it's MUCH easier to keep the weight off, then try to lose it later.  And ingrained eating habits are so hard to change.

I was TOTALLY shocked by the 4 y/o little boy, when they showed him under the table stuffing those cupcakes in his mouth as quick as he could.  What shocked me the most was that the grandmother was the one turning in her daughter, but was the bigger problem.  I mean, letting him have a twinkie for eating one bite of green beans?  Come on!!!  Then she totally cracked over the idea of sending him to bed hungry.  That little boy needs help NOW, while he can still be re-programmed.

The father who finally took custody of his son is to be applauded.  Thatother will just have to deal with her issues on her own, without making a science project gone wrong, out of her child.  I am sooo glad the little boy is doing well with his dad.

June 28, 2007, 10:43 pm CDT

Sooo True

Quote From: errosmom

I was really taken back by Carla's tearful comment that Dr Phil has never been a grandparent so he couldn't  possibly understand how hard it is to turn her grandchild down when he cried for Twinkies. Carla, you give grandparents a bad name. I would never and I mean NEVER do anything that would hurt my grandchild, no mater how much he begged for it. Kids are quite good at figuring out how to get what they want, whether it is good for them or not.  I told my daughter shortly after my grandson was born that I would never give him candy. I have seen so many grandparents stuffing their grandchildren full of unhealthy stuff  in what looks like an attempt to have a fun relationship. I want my grandson to have fun with me, not fun because of what I buy him, particularly things that he might not get at home. I don't buy him toys or other things when he is with me either. We go in stores and I observe what he likes and buy it later if I decide that it is a good choice for him. Don't get me wrong, I buy him a lot of things but using some common sense and not giving him a sense of entitlement. He is my best buddy. There is nothing quite as sweet as the way he responds when I walk in the door. He thinks that I am hilarious and that makes me want to play with him all the more. He is sweet enough without me giving him sweets. And my daughter and son-in-law totally trust me. He gets a few sweets at home, for birthdays and other occations. A relationship should be based on love, not what we give kids to get their affection. By the way, I am no health food nut. I love my sweets and have a weight problem that I am constantly working on. I love the sweets way too much but I don't want my grandchild to share my issues with sweets or with weight.

I can't agree with you more.  There are obviously exceptions about kids having underlying healthe issues.   And some people do gain weight much easier than others.

I just want to say how amazing it is that we start out feeding our babies jars of applesauce, bannanas, squash & peas.  Then somehow we graduate them to chocolate pudding cups and potatoe chips.

July 2, 2007, 12:25 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: tiffany_2007

I have noticed the same things you have said you notice about children not playing out side anymore. But the answer is this, unless your are able to stand outside with your child and watch them 24/7 (talking about young children under the age of 10) its unsafe for them to just be running around. In my area there are wild animals like in many other states, we hear about a child getting attacked and then we ask "why werent the parents there?" cause its hard to watch them 24/7 so now they just keep inside more. And animals are the least of the problems we have pedophiler's showing up everywhere now that its more and more parents thinking "fat kid or a child that is taking?"

JMO

Why so many excuses...............?!? Every family has "things", weirdos in the neighborhood, wildlife, parents working odd hours - I know, I know. But there are ways, you just have to want to make it happen. And you don't have to "stand outside and watch", join in.   I was a fat kid too and I know why - parents. "Eat everything on your plate" - he liked to control.  Little to no exercise (another form of control), they brought the food in the house and prepared it.  I didn't know until I was older that vegetables didn't have to "swim" in a sea of butter to be tasty. And around 13/14 I decided I didn't want to be this way, I would tell them that I all ready ate dinner (luckily they worked nights or I stayed in my room), I then discovered anorexia and exercise.........a way to "control" myself.  Thanks parents!! I have a handle on it now and have raised my family differently - with healthy choices and "fun" exercise.

July 2, 2007, 12:27 pm CDT

Quote From: camom75

I can't agree with you more.  There are obviously exceptions about kids having underlying healthe issues.   And some people do gain weight much easier than others.

I just want to say how amazing it is that we start out feeding our babies jars of applesauce, bannanas, squash & peas.  Then somehow we graduate them to chocolate pudding cups and potatoe chips.

Perfectly said!!

July 2, 2007, 12:32 pm CDT

Quote From: camom75

I watched this show for the 1st time today, and was floored at the parent's.  I think Dr. Phil did an excellant job of trying to wake up those parents.

What the 1st father said that shocked me is that "he can make the decision later on in his life."  What he's obviously clueless about, is the fact that it's MUCH easier to keep the weight off, then try to lose it later.  And ingrained eating habits are so hard to change.

I was TOTALLY shocked by the 4 y/o little boy, when they showed him under the table stuffing those cupcakes in his mouth as quick as he could.  What shocked me the most was that the grandmother was the one turning in her daughter, but was the bigger problem.  I mean, letting him have a twinkie for eating one bite of green beans?  Come on!!!  Then she totally cracked over the idea of sending him to bed hungry.  That little boy needs help NOW, while he can still be re-programmed.

The father who finally took custody of his son is to be applauded.  Thatother will just have to deal with her issues on her own, without making a science project gone wrong, out of her child.  I am sooo glad the little boy is doing well with his dad.

I too was SHOCKED at the parents attitudes, behavior etc.  Honestly, I was sitting in the chair snacking on a tiny (treat size) bag of peanut M&M's waiting for my 5:30 kick-boxing class. The story made me sick - I got up, threw away my M&M's and walked over to the gym.  That episode haunts me.

July 6, 2007, 7:13 pm CDT

Weight Problems

Quote From: chopsueyluey

Why so many excuses...............?!? Every family has "things", weirdos in the neighborhood, wildlife, parents working odd hours - I know, I know. But there are ways, you just have to want to make it happen. And you don't have to "stand outside and watch", join in.   I was a fat kid too and I know why - parents. "Eat everything on your plate" - he liked to control.  Little to no exercise (another form of control), they brought the food in the house and prepared it.  I didn't know until I was older that vegetables didn't have to "swim" in a sea of butter to be tasty. And around 13/14 I decided I didn't want to be this way, I would tell them that I all ready ate dinner (luckily they worked nights or I stayed in my room), I then discovered anorexia and exercise.........a way to "control" myself.  Thanks parents!! I have a handle on it now and have raised my family differently - with healthy choices and "fun" exercise.

Its great that you have learned a better way. But some just don't. Or they are working during day hours and so the kids think its a great time to veg out in front of there video games. We live in a world now that kids don't need to leave the house to have fun anymore. When I was growing up thats how it was with me. There was nothing fun in my house. Hanging out at the local park or going to the mall with friends was a ton more fun. I see this with my neice and nephew, they prefer the TV and video games over running outside. But really if you take the action to push them outside they do finally start having fun. Now they are not over weight at all, so its not that big of a deal RIGHT NOW. My only worry is that they will get fat in there teenage life and there older cause they arent use to running and playing. I will not let my son be a little lazy but. He will have his video games and TV but he will also have lots of time running around. I'm a full time mother and I mean 24/7 I'm always there for my son. I have no problem being outside and letting my son play for hours, the dishes can always be done later in my opinion. I will drive him to all of his sports events when they come up and be there to keep a eye on him until he gets old enough to watch himself. I think its sad that these parents work so much that  they don't have a clue what there children are doing. Or they toss them into daycare before they are even 1 years old, they are totally clueless on what they are really doing. I think its sad and one of the big problems. Children don't rasie themselves they need either a mother or a father looking after them.

JMO

July 17, 2007, 9:32 am CDT

it doesn't have to be either or

Quote From: tiffany_2007

JMO

You don't have to have a fat kid or a child that is taken.    This is deeper than that.  In the overall scheme of life it's about the children and the fact that parents don't spend time with them.  I don't mean the scheduled 45 min a week.  What about just slowing down and taking time with your kids.  It doesn't have to be a planned special event.  Just your time and parents need to stop, slow down and make time to get the kids outside.  If you feel you're in an area that requires your child being watched the whole time they are outside then do it.  Work it into your schedule.  Do you see my point.  People are so busy that they miss so much and the kids suffer and it's showing with the kids becoming bigger and bigger.  Mom's to busy or dad's to busy or no one wants to get off the couch.  Who's suffering, it's the kids.

July 17, 2007, 9:39 am CDT

I appreciate your view

Quote From: finallyfixed

While I agree that letting kids sit in front of video games and tv all day is horrible for them, and also agree that junk food is not a food group, you need to enlighten yourself.  All obese people don't gorge themselves on junk food and are not lazy.

I am obese; have been most of my life.  I am ON MY FEET (not on my ass, as your verbally abusive outburst suggests) for many hours a day at my job.  I work very hard and it's difficult due to a major problem with one of my feet.  But I do it, and I doubt that many skinny people could keep up with me.

There are many complex issues involved with obesity.  Some people's bodies do not react the same way to the same foods.

For example, your screen name is koolaidmom (or koolaidemom, unsure how you spelled it).

Do you drink koolaid?  Because I can't.  If I drink koolaid, with all its sugar, it will make me gain weight, because my body will release too much insulin in response to it.  Insulin causes weight gain all by itself.

In addition, the excess insulin will make me hungry. 

You are fortunate, because apparently you have been blessed with a body that does not over-react to carbohydrates.  Many people have not been as genetically blessed as you.

Most of them do not know what it is that causes the drive to over-eat.  Until they figure it out, they are caught in a vicious cycle of hunger and weight gain.

I'm getting pretty tired of the fat-bashing on these message boards.  The most abusive treatment I've had in my life was not from a grandmother giving me a twinkie, but by strangers (and some family, and some "friends") who instantly look an overweight person up and down, and either make some rude comment or disapproving stare.   It majorly affected my self-esteem growing up, and shaped who I became as an adult.  I learned at an early age, that people are superficial and do not judge you on your heart as they should.

They'd do well to remember the old adage, "But for the grace of God, there go I."

Does that mean I approve of letting kids sit around the house doing nothing and feeding them junk food?  Of course not!  But let's educate the parents and HELP them, not call their kids names or post hateful comments attacking all obese people. 

It's just as ignorant as posting negative comments about someone's nationality or religion.

I understand where you're coming from.  My sister has the same problem and while I said "get off your ass and do something"  I do not mean that to the people who have a medical problem.  I see that and respect that.  What frustrates me are those who do not have the medical problems.  It's not fair to the children.  Adults are not teaching the children to be healthy.  While you have your condition I am guessing from your response that given the choice this is not what you'd choose for your body.  Well I think that there are many people out there who do have a choice and the adults making choices for kids are wrong.  I am not a hater or a basher.  I am very frusterated at the epidemic of over weight children.  No one has read anything in my msg except "get off your ass".  I would not ever say that to a child but to a parent I would.  I feel very bad for these children and if their bodies can help it they need to be healthier no matter what the weight is.

August 31, 2007, 7:37 pm CDT

Truly Sad

I am disgusted when I see parents letting children walk all over them like that. It is the parents responsibility to control their children, and they should not bow to pressure of the children having temper tantrums when they don't get the food they want. If it was my child that was obese, I would throw out every piece of junk food in the house and refuse to give the child anything but, no matter how much or how loudly he screamed, or if he hit, punched, bit, whatever! I would lay down the law right then and there.  If the kid was hungry enough, he'd learn to eat the food that I set out for him, and would learn that I'm not going to bow down to him and his demands just because he's throwing a fit. Those parents need to take control of their children before it's too late!!!! If parents don't nip that behavior in the bud at a young age, then obese children will grow up with horrible physical problems. Not to mention the torment that they would go through on a day to day basis in school and in public. Children have a knack for being cruel to those who are big, and even some adults point and whisper. No child needs that kind of life, so it is important that those children are taught proper eating habits now while the parents still CAN!!!!! 

First | Prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next Page | Last Page