Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2007, 1:52 pm CST

Little boys, big weight problems

I truly believe that amount of excercise isn't a big issue for most young kids.  Only with overweight and obese kids is it in need of an increase.  I am in college and I would have to say that 85% of the people are at a fantastic weight 10% could lose 10-20 pounds and 5% need more than 20 pounds.  This becomes an issue when people go through their 20's and their metabolism slows.  If you excercise it stays pretty efficient and you barely cut any calories at all from your diet as you age.  I really believe that the reason people are living longer than ever besides medication is the fact that adults have money to feed their family.  I mean the avg. weight in the 60s for males 20-75 was 166 its now 193 (this is for males) I personaly see 166 as low 175 is better.  193 is Higher than it should be but many adults are in damn good shape with musclar bodies and they are considered overweight which is a joke.  Many adults from 40-50 years ago were starved as youths and that had a major bearing on the avg. weight.  All in all weight is just a number and means very little (as long as you are not really overweight or under).  My grandmom was 140 as an adult and is 160 now (shes 5'3-5'4) and shes 85 and in great health.  The media puts too much emphasis on looking perfect.  The human body was not meant to look like many of these so called models and movie stars.  These kids however need major help and it starts with the parents I used to be obese but I took action and lost 80 pounds (250-170) and I feel so much healthier I added probably 20 years to my life. 

February 6, 2007, 2:05 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Parents need to realize when they are feeding their child way to much. I remember when i was really young my mom always made sure we had the right foods for nutrition whether we liked them or not. Then we would get our dessert after only if we finished everything on our dinner plate first. Now my friends mother on the other hand gave them whatever they wanted  fast food, sugar foods, you name they got it.  My friend became really over weight and sick all the time. I was there for her through everything we were best friends.  About 3 years ago she died from her being overweight. It was very heartbreaking for me. I just want people to know that the way you feed your children does affect everyone.

February 6, 2007, 5:51 pm CST

How's my big fat baby?

I have a neice and a great neice that are both severly overweight, my neice is now 25 and as a child she was given anything she wanted to eat and was severly obese at the age of 2 she weighed 50 pounds and all through her young life she followed this pattern.  Once she became a young woman she got into drugs and went about losing weight the wrong way.  When she was 20 she had a daughter and now her daughter is having the same issues because my sister in-law is raising her too in the same maner as she raised her own daughter at 4 years old my great neice weight in at 90 pounds.  I believe this is a form of child abuse and when I tried to do something about it I was told by my whole family to mind my own business.  Now my bother and his wife will not let me see her and they will not speak to me.  My concern is for their health I just wish there was something I could do to help because I know it is because of the environment she is living in is the reason why she is so overweight my sister in-law and neice do nothing to play actively with this child all they do is sit her in front of the television and keep feeding her fatty foods, they won't even stop giving her whole milk they say she has to have it  because she is just a child.  What the heck are their regular doctors saying to them when they bring this child in for regular check ups?  Don't the doctor's comment on the childs weight and give them suggestions on how to slim her down and make her healthier?  I had all of the information to call child services but they live in New Jersey and the foster system there leaves something to be desired.  Since I live in Pennsylvania they will not let me have her because I don't live in the same state.  What kind of crap is that?

February 6, 2007, 6:46 pm CST

Quote From: dglana

I understand that parents should limit what their children eat, but I think other factors need to be considered. How about the rise of obesity and its proportion to the use of high fructose corn syrup in foods? The extra sweetness makes us crave more food, the high fructose corn syrup isn't digested in the same way, it effects fat formation, it supposedly shuts down the "I'm full" notifier in the brain. If we are going to be berating parents for what they allow, shouldn't we be also berating the food industry for creating foods that exacerbate the problem? I have two children, biologically non-related, same age. One is thin, one is chunky. The second eats a little more than the first, but is more active. We are trying to prevent our kids from eating high fructose corn syrup products because we know it turns off the "I'm full" receptor, and the second child is always hungry. We parent them the same way. Some parents may feel that their kids will self regulate, stop eating when they are full. With current processed food products, some kids won't self regulate. I have three kids who did, one who doesn't. I'm trying to limit food intake without making food an emotional or psychological issue for my children. It is a delicate balance between watching weight and obsessing over weight. Our society encourages people to be underweight and puts forth that image for public consumption. I have real trouble with the judgment and the way some posters flame the parents. Until you have heard the full story, you have no right to make judgments. Food issues are complex as are family issues. If parenting had a handbook it would need to be rewritten for each child. Take it easy on the parents until you hear the full story.
As I read all these responses with tears in my eyes, I am happy to see that there are people who know it can be more involved than just blaming the parents.  I have adopted two children, one is a very healthy weight, and the other is 3 yrs old and 85 pounds.  I feed them the same foods and the thin one actually eats more.  I take them swimming and to the park, we stay active.  Ever since my daughter was 15 mo old, she has been putting on weight, despite diet recomendations from nutritionists, she has had numerous calorie counts, and diet records and is not overeating, or eating junk foods ect..  She drinks water no juice or pop ect.... I am sad, and desperate to figure out what is wrong (or what I am doing wrong or can change)  I agree parents should have very active kids, with healthy diets, and do my best.  You can see by looking at my children, one thin and one very obese who eat the same, exercize the same, that there has to be more than one answer or factor in childhood obesity.  I hope to filter through all the hurtfull comments in this and find some new ideas to help my child.

February 7, 2007, 5:02 am CST

Quote From: elffie

I recently took my kids to the doctor for checkups and the doctor told me that they were small.  Sure, my son is a little short for his age, but he eats healthy and is very active.  He is 4 years old and weighs 32 pounds now.  He was a 7 pd 2 oz baby, perfectly healthy and I want to help him stay that way.  Same thing with my daughter.  She is almost 18 months and weighs 20 pounds. 

The reason my doctor said this is because with so many young children being heavy, it is unusual to see children like mine.  They eat fruits and vegetables, we hardly ever go out for fast food and they are very active all day, I wish I had their energy! LOL

I wonder how many parents are told that their children are small because it is true, kids today are bigger.  I don't want my children to develop heart problems or diabetes because of food.  I am their mom and that means I am responsible for their health and well being and that's what I'm doing. 

To the parents who feed their kids junk all day, please think of your kids and their health, not about what's easier to feed to them.  Sure, my kids like cookies, but they don't eat them everyday.  I don't even buy them in groceries every week.  I buy them for a special treat, not for an everyday snack.

Please think of your children.  It is their life.

Hey Elffie, my kids are all diffferent w/ that...my oldest (my step-daughter) is somewhat over weight...an issue we're delicately dealing with. I believe some of that's hereditary as her mother was 5'10" and weighed well over 300lbs. and her grandmother does too (both had internal problems from birth whereas my step-daughter doesn't) Also, grandma rewards w/ food...something we go head to head on frequently. That said, my step-daughter (compared to her mom and grandma...at the same age ) is svelte. She may always be a little plump but if she has healthy eating habits and is active ...then I'm not too worried. I don't want her to attach her worth to her body size.

As for my other children my eldest son (11) is just starting to get a wee bit pudgy so, we're working on less video games and more out door activites (for all of us not just him) and my youngest, like your 4 yr. old has always been called small. (He's 8 and weighs 45lbs) he's stringy as the used to say, and, he eats like a hobbit (but burns it all off)

I've found that cooking w/ my kids makes them want to try eating things they wouldn't normally want to try and makes them aware of what goes into the things they eat  (like sugar and salt)

February 7, 2007, 5:16 am CST

Quote From: alemom

As I read all these responses with tears in my eyes, I am happy to see that there are people who know it can be more involved than just blaming the parents.  I have adopted two children, one is a very healthy weight, and the other is 3 yrs old and 85 pounds.  I feed them the same foods and the thin one actually eats more.  I take them swimming and to the park, we stay active.  Ever since my daughter was 15 mo old, she has been putting on weight, despite diet recomendations from nutritionists, she has had numerous calorie counts, and diet records and is not overeating, or eating junk foods ect..  She drinks water no juice or pop ect.... I am sad, and desperate to figure out what is wrong (or what I am doing wrong or can change)  I agree parents should have very active kids, with healthy diets, and do my best.  You can see by looking at my children, one thin and one very obese who eat the same, exercize the same, that there has to be more than one answer or factor in childhood obesity.  I hope to filter through all the hurtfull comments in this and find some new ideas to help my child.
I apologize if I came off as blaming only the parents for the obesity of their child. It is however most of the time the case. Only in rare instances is the problem something medical. When a parent feeds a 2 year old a whole pizza and then wonders why their child is obese well that is ridiculous to me. If a child eats normally and has regular activity but is still over weight then there is something medically wrong that needs to be addressed by a professional. But as I have stated that is few and far between. We are raising a generation who has a shorter life expectancy than we do and the reason obesity.

February 7, 2007, 5:52 am CST

Big Applaud For This Mom!!

Quote From: trudie121

I I just wanted to share my story. My son was diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrom when he was 15 months old. I totook him to the best doctors starting at 7 months old. With Prader Willi Syndrome the hypothalmus in the brain does not communicate that the stomach is full. Therefore, the individual is always hungry. These children are not getting the proper dianosis. Everyone is afraid to put a young child on a diet. Do not walk but run to a qualified nutrionist, preferably one familiar with Prader Willi. My son is now 23 and at 5'8" is 150 lbs. All my friends continually support me and tell me what a good job I did. I was very lucky to find out what his problem was before he became out of control. However, being the parent, I did take charge and only gave him the food he should have, not the food he shouldnt. For all of you struggling with an out of control child, please contact praderwilli.org and they will give you everything you need to tackle your overweight child.

I think it is wonderful that you were and are such an attentive mother. Because of your persistence you found out the true sorce to your son's weight problem.  I am willing to bet that most parents have no idea what Prader Wili Syndrome is....I know I've never heard of it.

I think maybe you should post your information again but this time in big, bold red letter so everyone will notice the post. Your knowledge  maybe some of the most important information on this messege board!  So please post your messege again but make it red and huge so we all see it immediatly. 

And everyone please look for her post to come up...this maybe something that might pertain to your family and could help you out.

February 7, 2007, 6:26 am CST

I concur

Quote From: powers009

Maybe parents could do something for their children like get out with them and take a walk. I have seen some of these parents too and it would not hurt for them to take a walk with their children. After all walking is free.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Parents hold the key to their children's health and often their weight. I was just responding to the woman who felt we parents should be sending our kids outside to play all the time. That sounds nice...in a perfect world. Nowadays we parents must accompany our children outside for obvious safety reasons and no parent can afford to play outside for hours at a time (except on special occassions).

Yes, walking is 100% free. I just too our 6-yr-old son on a walk with me two days ago. We made it fun and I also quizzed him on his spelling words while we walked. I told him he was walking for ME, which he wanted to do (he's still in the "I love my mama" phase:).

February 7, 2007, 6:31 am CST

They know what they're doing!!!!

Quote From: powers009

It seems very logical to me that the parents are obese themselves. They don't know how to eat properly so they bring their children up in the same manner. Children mimic what they see and if they see their parents over eating than it seems logical that they would be over eaters too.

Isn't that a cop out...."They don't know how to eat properly." Sorry, but the televsion and newspapers and radios are blasting health issues and health studies 24/7. NOBODY living outside a vacuum hasn't received all the information on fat, calories, oat bran, fiber, carbs, etc!!! These people are making CHOICES (for themsevles and for their innocent kids); they are simply ignoring what they don't want to hear.

My husband and I are large people (working on our health). Our children are NOT large...we have always made sure they eat three good meals daily, have limited snacks, don't eat late at night, get out and play sports, etc. We do not want them to have the health issues that we WILL have if we don't change our bad habits. And they don't want to be like us...thank God.

February 7, 2007, 6:38 am CST

They HAVE the education already!

Quote From: dmhamilton

My response to apurple.......I agree that it is the parents responsibility for what their children eat. My son was a big eater his first year, his pediatrician said babies will not over eat. He was strictly breast fed until 6 months, about killed me :) but he was off the charts for weight and height. He now eats the same or less than his 42lb 4 yr old brother but continues to grow. I agree however when you see an overweight child eating fast food it is sad. There needs to be education for the parents,and not so much criticism. Most people do what they grew up doing.

Just my two cents

Sorry; I don't buy it. People don't have to "do what they grew up doing." They are not robots. They are not dumb. They are not stuck doing what was done to them. They have the ability and smarts to make GOOD CHOICES for their children.

I am so tired of everyone being a "victim" when it comes to making bad decisions. People need to take control of their lives (and their health) and do what is BEST for their children. That's what being a GOOD parent is all about. We are "LOVING" our children to death in this country...,loving them with junk food, too much food, inactivity, laziness, etc.

My father was an obese man. I grew up to be a large woman. Our children have (from Day 1) had healthy meals (3 of them daily), limited junk food, been made to play outside and take up sports such as tennis, soccer and basketball, etc. We limit their tv and computer time. We made the CHOICE to have healthy, active kids. We owe them at least that! I could have continued the eating habits of my childhood, but I made the CHOICE not to!

Nobody has to continue the cycle of their parents w/ regard to obesity. These parents don't need education (health issues are everyhwere these days...tv, Internet, magazines, radio, newspapers, etc!!). They need to stop taking the easy way out by buying and cooking fast, easy junk foods and sweets, they need to turn off their kids' tvs and computers and they need to make them walk, run and/or play sports. They owe it to their children!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last