Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 7, 2007, 7:15 am CST

Fat is never an excuse

Look at those fat parents with their fat kid, how is that a good example.  People are only kidding themselves.  I hate hearing the exucses people make for being fat; my moto is slow, I had a baby and it made me fat, my genetics are against me. PFFFT GIVE ME A BREAK!

Get off your fat duff and go for a walk, exercise and for god's sake quit eating all that bad crap you know you shouldnt be eating.

Quit kidding yourself fat nation.  Your just a burger bite away from death and I am so sick of hearing about it.

February 7, 2007, 7:15 am CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

I'm continually amazed at how little so many people seem to know about nutrition.  How could it not occur to somebody that a diet of fast food and sugary baked goods is not healthy?  I'm starting to think we need to reinstitute Home Ec in middle schools to teach people basic nutrition and healthy cooking skills just to they can feed themselves.  I agree that there is often a genetic predisposition to weight gain (I will never be a fashion model) but that doesn't mean one is doomed to be huge.  Kids learn their eating and exercise habits from their parents as well as inheriting their DNA.

And why does everyone act like there are only two extremes--you're either a morbidly obese sugar addict or you're an emaciated diet fiend.  Whatever happened to eating normal food and getting a little regular exercise?  I'm not a health-food nut but I try to eat fruits and vegetables and lay off the processed stuff, I walk regularly; basic, sensible, stuff. 

Our dinners were always 1) large serving of vegetable, 2) carbohydrate, 3) protein (usually chicken).  Children WILL eat healthy food if they are not continually bribed with sweets.  I ate broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, green beans, etc. very happily as a child.  My parents rarely served dessert and never served dessert if we hadn't already eaten the healthy stuff on our plates.  We also didn't drink soda; I still don't drink a lot of soda and I don't miss it.  I drank a full glass of milk with every meal my entire childhood (I still feel like I've cheated if I don't do that).  We didn't eat a lot of prepackaged foods--I don't think I've ever eaten Spaghetti-O's or Hamburger Helper in my life.  And we didn't have a whole lot of money.  Mom bought plain generic food in bulk.  You don't have to be rich to avoid eating junk.

February 7, 2007, 7:17 am CST

Kudos to Josh's family

This little boy certainly deserved a chance in life and thanks to his dad, his wife, aunt and Dr. Phil, he got it. Way to go Josh, and brocoli, good stuff buddy.

Parents who feed their kids nothing but junk really need to get real, children learn what we adults teach them and for the most part will make decissions based on how they are taught. Yea, kids can be picky but there are creative ways of getting kids to eat healthy but it starts with the parents and thinking of the kids.................

February 7, 2007, 7:17 am CST

I have a question for you guys (need help!)

I have three children; two girls and a toddler son.  My nine-year-old is teetering somewhere around 90 pounds and it is very obvious she is overweight.  However, my six-year-old is 36 pounds (which is considered underweight at her pediatrician's office) and my 26-month-old son is 23 pounds and has been for over six months.  I spend half the wellness visits my kids have convincing the doctors that the two smaller kids do eat and they eat like crazy and the nine-year-old eats only what she needs.  The toddler actually eats more than the nine-year-old sometimes and STILL can't gain weight!  The doctors are NO help; they tell me to feed the nine-year-old less and the other two more.  If I fed the nine-year-old less, she'd starve; they already have my poor child leaning towards anorexia because of the fuss they make about her weight in the office.  She doesn't eat breakfast and barely nibbles on her lunch, thanks to these stupid doctors.  I actually have to check her plate at night to make sure she ate!!  And changing doctors doesn't help; I've already tried and it went from bad to worse. 

What is going on here?  What can I do to change the situation for ALL my kids?  I don't want to take my kids to another stupid doctor who will just pigeonhole them into a stereotype!  I need answers; answers I can't seem to get from the professionals!  Do you guys have any ideas?  I'm really starting to worry about my nine-year-old, and now it has nothing to do with the fact that she's overweight, it has EVERYTHING to do with this new trend to NOT eat.  HELP!!!!!

February 7, 2007, 7:25 am CST

To alemom......I wish you all the luck in the world. I took my son to an endocrinologist to have his hormones tested because of his size. I was told that there are very few that can be checked and we may never know. That ended up being the case. Keep your chin up and do the best you can.  Sometimes there are answers and sometimes not. Remember not everyone is judgemental,and more than a few of us are in the same boat

February 7, 2007, 7:25 am CST

Quote From: powers009

Other than the obvious over eating problems todays children have gotten lazy. They do nothing but sit at their computers or video games they don't get out and play like they used to. Children used to play outside and not be allowed to come in until dinner time. Kids eat out of boredom if they were not allowed to play in the house and made to play outside than they wouldn't be obese. I can't recall but maybe one or two truly obese children when I was a kid and their problems was truly physical.
And who's fault is that? If kids are not getting out sde, left at home alone, staying at the computers, tv, and such, it is the parents fault and they need to step up to the plate and start parenting their kids. for the most part kids are obese because they have been taught that it is ok to eat and sit around. I don't have a problem with my kids playing their games and watching thier shows and even having a snack now and then but they also have balance, and I know that all I have to say is let's g0 outside or lets go to the park, or whatever, they will turn the tv off themselves and will be ready to go  in  a heart beat, for they have learned that the tv and games and such is not an all day event and they enjoy being active.

I also do not think kids should have to be active all day long, but they do need  learn to be creative with their time, they need to take time to rest, read, play legos, whatever they like, again, it's about balance and setting priorities and it starts with the parents.

February 7, 2007, 7:36 am CST

Solitary sports

Quote From: flthomcat

Yes, too many kids are babysat by computers, video gams, cell phones and televsions. But also remember that kids nowadays can't just run and play outside as most of us did. They cannot go out alone or even with a few friends unless their parents are outside to watch them (we live in dangerous, different times....sadly).

Therefore, many kids are placed in organized sports and activities, but many of these cost money (lots of $$$ when we are talking about multiple kids). There are many families who don't have the money for organized sports, etc.

And when Mom and/or Dad is not home to supervise, kids will gravitate to computers, Playstations, etc. That's why we are BLESSED to be able to live on my husband's income alone so my children have a mother to return to...and I can keep them off their butts and out being active!

The key is to make it fun for the child, so that the child is concentrated on the activity instead of food.  Buy a pair of roller skates/blades, and teach your child to skate.  Go for a walk with the child with the family dog so that everyone gets exercise.  Have the child run track at school, costs less than many other team sports, and less gear involved.  Have a group of families put together a team of children to play hockey, soccer, or flag football to reduce the price and so that you only have to buy gear, and rotate people to watch for suspicious activity.  Anyway, just a few suggestions.

True, many children can't just go out without supervision because of higher crime rates and sex offenders that live within a 5 mile radius-more than you might think.  In my parent's seemingly middle class community- a 5 block suburb, there are 50.  Vigilance is very important, but you can still monitor while the child exercises.

February 7, 2007, 7:47 am CST

Quote From: elffie

I recently took my kids to the doctor for checkups and the doctor told me that they were small.  Sure, my son is a little short for his age, but he eats healthy and is very active.  He is 4 years old and weighs 32 pounds now.  He was a 7 pd 2 oz baby, perfectly healthy and I want to help him stay that way.  Same thing with my daughter.  She is almost 18 months and weighs 20 pounds. 

The reason my doctor said this is because with so many young children being heavy, it is unusual to see children like mine.  They eat fruits and vegetables, we hardly ever go out for fast food and they are very active all day, I wish I had their energy! LOL

I wonder how many parents are told that their children are small because it is true, kids today are bigger.  I don't want my children to develop heart problems or diabetes because of food.  I am their mom and that means I am responsible for their health and well being and that's what I'm doing. 

To the parents who feed their kids junk all day, please think of your kids and their health, not about what's easier to feed to them.  Sure, my kids like cookies, but they don't eat them everyday.  I don't even buy them in groceries every week.  I buy them for a special treat, not for an everyday snack.

Please think of your children.  It is their life.

My kids are small as well, especially my oldest,  she is 6 years old and weighs 40 lbs, my youngest is 4 and she weighs almost 40 lbs. They are both healthy, active and happy. It's very rare that we have snack foods in the house, Now, on occasions we do have them, just this morning, they ate some of those mini white powdered doughnuts with milk and fresh fruit but that's the first they have had in several days, they don't need that stuff every day and they are perfectly fine with that for this is what they know. My oldest does like to go out to Wendys and my youngest loves Taco Bell but they have to "earn" their way to those places and it's exciting for them, it's a treat that they look forward to, not an everyday thing that they will get bored of. They eat three meals a day and will get a snack as well which is usally a healthy snack but usually it is popcorn, their favorite.  o yea, can't forget, they do like that chocolate milk, which they do not get every day either.

Also, not only healthy eating is imporant but encouraging our kids to be active is imporant, the "obese" kids I know are in the majority of the time, they are the ones who spend their time in front of the tv and the computer all day, the ones who are not active and the sad thing is, it isn't their fault,they have been taught that it is ok to do which I call lazy parenting, I realize that we all as parents have  our own ways of parenting, our own techniques and all but to watch a  parent teach their child that eating junk all day, and sitting in front of the tube all day is an ok thing to do really bothers me.

Any way, just another two cents worth on my part, the girls have watched their two  30 minute shows and it is time to turn off the tube, got other things planned for the day. School is out cause of the weather and we are going to do a craft, play a game and play legos. read, and play in the living room which has been turned into one big fort,LOLLLLL.

February 7, 2007, 8:06 am CST

My Fat Son is now an Adult

My son was over weight since he was six, he is now 23 and finally starting to have a life.I worked full time and also felt guilty about leaving him so much so I rewarded him with eating out and fast food.He hated school because the other kids made fun ,andtalked often of killing himself, he had to go to therapy for social angezity disorder and had to be home schooled for a while and quit at 17 and got his g.e.d. he weight over 300 lbs.

He never dated, played sports or really had any hobbies except video games.

He now has lossed over 120lbs he is 6'6 and wts 220lbs he exercises everyday and looks at food in a whole new light.He is going out with people and not staying at home all the time ,and I think it wont be long till he starts dating.He so out going now ,he's like a new man. I am still overweight and am now on a program too. If I bring in food he cant have he says Mom dont bring that trash in here.

I am so glad that he has changed his life,and do for himself what I wasnt strong enough to do for him.

I'm so glad for these children on todays show that have someone like Dr.Phil to show them what they are doing to their children.

thanks,

February 7, 2007, 8:09 am CST

Quote From: saemae

I have three children; two girls and a toddler son.  My nine-year-old is teetering somewhere around 90 pounds and it is very obvious she is overweight.  However, my six-year-old is 36 pounds (which is considered underweight at her pediatrician's office) and my 26-month-old son is 23 pounds and has been for over six months.  I spend half the wellness visits my kids have convincing the doctors that the two smaller kids do eat and they eat like crazy and the nine-year-old eats only what she needs.  The toddler actually eats more than the nine-year-old sometimes and STILL can't gain weight!  The doctors are NO help; they tell me to feed the nine-year-old less and the other two more.  If I fed the nine-year-old less, she'd starve; they already have my poor child leaning towards anorexia because of the fuss they make about her weight in the office.  She doesn't eat breakfast and barely nibbles on her lunch, thanks to these stupid doctors.  I actually have to check her plate at night to make sure she ate!!  And changing doctors doesn't help; I've already tried and it went from bad to worse. 

What is going on here?  What can I do to change the situation for ALL my kids?  I don't want to take my kids to another stupid doctor who will just pigeonhole them into a stereotype!  I need answers; answers I can't seem to get from the professionals!  Do you guys have any ideas?  I'm really starting to worry about my nine-year-old, and now it has nothing to do with the fact that she's overweight, it has EVERYTHING to do with this new trend to NOT eat.  HELP!!!!!

If you're not getting the answers you need, you need different professionals.  Nutritionist, endocrinologist, something; not just a regular family physician.  You definitely don't want the opinions of lay people.  Not that there aren't a lot of smart and well-read people on here, but you need to pursue professional medical knowledge instead of looking to us [relatively] uninformed non-medicals.  Someone on here may be able to suggest something that worked for them that you might ask your doctor, but have you asked for referrals to something more specialized than a GP?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last