Message Boards

Topic : 06/26 The Young and the Reckless

Number of Replies: 163
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 09, 2007, 02:44:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/07) The bad behavior of some young celebutantes is all over the news — Paris Hilton receiving jail time, and Britney Spears going to rehab. Dr. Phil's guests are spiraling out of control by emulating the celebrity life. Chelsey, 21, is a self-admitted good-time girl who loves limousines, nightclubs and tequila shots. Her obsession with partying is so bad that she's been in drug rehab three times in the past three years! Chelsey's mother, Renee, wants her out of the fast lane before she crashes and burns. Can Chelsey change her ways, or is the damage beyond repair? Then, 23-year-old Raquel thinks nothing of driving drunk, wearing sexy clothes and flirting with the boyfriends of other women. She even travels with an entourage! Raquel's sister, Angie, believes she's destroying her career by living the high life. Will Raquel sober up when Dr. Phil gives her a dose of reality? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2007, 9:03 pm CST

Personal Experience

My mother died from alcoholism in 1984, she was 50 years old.  I was only 16 years old at the time, and I alone took care of her up until the very end.  it was the most awful thing you could imagine.  It is a death that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I have heard some people joke about "living fast, dying young, and leaving a pretty corpse."  Well, they've probably never seen a corpse.  I have, and there's nothing pretty about any of them.  And there is no glamour in partying oneself to death.  It's painful, degrading, and soul-killing... for everyone.  I wish to God that I could show them what my Mom went through at the end, and how it affected - and continues to affect - those of us left behind. 

I hope Dr. Phil & Robin can get through to them. 

February 15, 2007, 2:02 am CST

02/15 The Young and the Reckless

Hello,I have a teenage son and he keeps getting thrown out of school.In fact he is in a special progrm called L.O.P. Startng next week he will be on a specail schudule called the 3 to 5 educational program because he is constantly getting thrown out and disturbing the class mates whom want to go to school.As i mentioned in my profile.I am in recovery now for almost 10 years and i know my past could be a part of his problem.I have a second child whom is born into recovery.At this time their are no signs of drug usage,but i did have him tested to eliminte this and his testing were all negative.He smokes tabacco,and is on medications for A.D.H.D and bipolor disorder.In fact i am up early now because i have to be on my toes with him he had the T.V on and i had to remove it because its a school night and he dont deserve this because of his behaviors.He swears he calls me horrible names tells me to get moven on dinner makes the whole house very jumpy.When he gets aggresive it gets my younger one aggresive.his dads very abusive to me verbally.(used to be he beat me i left him years ago been clean ever since.)His dad told my son to the tee....My past, which is not even in his memmory thats how young he was.some true,some not or very twisted up.The family court has aloud a decent ammount of visitation with his dad, our son, who gets worse every time he comes back from his visits i have custody.This guy calls about 3-9 times per day.My son starts to pace something terrible everytime this guy calls.His dad comes 4 hours to early and attempts to even take my time.Doest pay support.Smushes his face against my windows to look into my house and that scares me.heck!!!!The constant callen scares me too.Hes taken me to court 5 times with complete lies.i won all cases.Hes called C.P.S. on me 5 times as well all around the times he tried to lie on me in court all cases unfounded.Of course.My sewer broke,He called the police,I guess my son told him it was broke,I lived 4 floors up,it was broke in the basement.Anyways,He calls the police tells them i have both my kids in crap.they come,do their very quick investigatoin,Told me they were sorry they recieved a call i had my kids in crap...could not believe it.Hes spit on me while my back was turned because i would not allow him to take son out of state.He uses my son to get to me because he cant get me directly anymore.He calls my son tells him hes gonna get him a truck knowing, he is not even doing well in school/Has called my up several times tellen me to come pick this kid up i dont want him i am leaving him as my dad did he says.....come on why did these courts allow all of this.Liston,this guy does such bizzare things its hard not to sound it myself trying to explain him and there much,much,much,more i am loaded with insainity from this guy.Buts this is a start......Please doctor phill aloow me to be on your show.I admire your blunt attitude thing wont get done if the trueth is not straight and to th point believe me i understand,This is how i got to where i am in life today and thats a good thing.I came from a horribly abusive past and i do not believe in that bullcrap about having it bad then putting your kids in it.i am against that line of garbage,I got into addiction and reasonably quickly corrected it because i did not want to do that to my son and i know i should not have done that anyway but i did i could not deal with the pain of my past correctly.Suffered so bad from flash backs that i made an appointment with a shock treatment doctor before i had my first kid,I was 18.He asked me why?i told him i dont wanna have a mommery,I wanna forget my childhood,He denied me told me this is not for me i may end up forgetting what i know is good and still recall most of my bad childhood,Before that i was diognosed (I forget exactly)With post pardon something,a doctor grace told me i suffer simular as the people did when they went to war,And he also told me that flash backs are bad memmories i chose to stuff and stuff and are all coming out in what they call flash backs because my memmory has no room for these anymore.He also told me i need to face these deamonds face to face.I eventually,Took his suggestions.Oh this is my first time in recovery at this time i have never relasped.I have had cancer twice,Deaths,Problems with my son and his dad big time.Loss several pregnancies,Senn freind die from addiction and have not found it necessary to use.....Because its not.......

February 15, 2007, 7:32 am CST

ABUSING OR NOT?

In my opinion Chelsey does not actually want any help.

Being in re-hab 3 times in a year I would think would substantiate this.

Do the people who profess to care about her really care or is this just a performance to absolve themselves of any responsibility.

Again, I think there is nothing wrong with letting ones hair down every now and then just as long as Chelsey does not let it affect her work / livelihood or her relationships with the people she loves. 

I do hope she is not using this as a way of getting back at people she views as having harmed her.   

February 15, 2007, 7:59 am CST

That is pretty

That is basically how I live. That is how every teen i know lives except for an innocent 2 or 3. Kids are going to hide drugs even after they have been caught. Hell I was caught a couple months ago and had to suffer for a couple weeeks but look in my drawer and you will see some liquor look in my altoids can and see pills. What you do not know is that these teenagers do not know any different. I recently transfered to an all girls catholic school from a public school. At my old school now the majority of 15 years olds are coked-up, drunk, or high on pills pretty much every day. When I went there i was dependant on that stuff but now i am not. I am attempting to try to change who I am but it is sooooooooooooooo hard. Teenagers will drink and do drugsd all the time and you cant stop it. You can only TRY to control your kid. When i am able to drink I am going to drink like a crazy person and most likely  be an alcoholic. It is what I am used to. People need to wake up and realize what is going on. I am not a bad kid and Ive been thru tough s***=rape,depression,suicide but i have issues. So do most teens. My good friend just got out of rehab. I am not attemptin to quit pills. I am only 15 but hopefully I can change my habits YES HABITS thats what they are just like brushing your teeth it is a habit that gets easily slipped to become routine.

comments?

February 15, 2007, 8:22 am CST

party today, sorry tomorrow

I lost a coworker to a young drunk driver a few years ago.  I'm sure that driver told himself that he was OK to drive and that nothing would happen to him, just as you gals tell yourselves.  My coworker, her husband, and their baby were killed when this guy drifted out of his lane into theirs on the interstate and hit them, causing them to run off the highway. They were on their way home from a church activity on a Sunday evening, it wasn't even the usual party-times of Friday or Saturday.  Their little girl survived but is growing up without her parents and her little brother.  One of the saddest memories of my life is seeing my coworker in her casket with her dead baby in her arms.  Imagine that scene, and imagine that you were the one who caused it, and imagine yourself trying to explain to the surviving little girl why she must grow up alone.  Now imagine yourself in prison for the best years of your life, on three counts of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated.  It CAN happen to you, so please, get your lives together and stop this irresponsible behavior now before something irreversible and tragic happens to you.  Partying lasts for a season, but death is forever and prison is for a long, long time.

As far as the wild behavior goes, you are drawing attention to yourselves for all the wrong reasons. You gals have far more to offer than your bodies, but when you act that way, nobody will see past that to see what lies beneath.  I speak from experience, because I acted the same way when I was your age.  What I thought was "sexy" then I now think was immodest and degrading, and I am still ashamed years later whenever I happen to meet up with anyone who knew me back in the day. No wonder I met men who were such losers -- they were guys who hang out in clubs and buy women drinks, hoping to get a flash, a grope, or get laid.  Duh!  None of them gave a rat's patootie about me as a human being.  When I stopped dressing and acting like a hoochie and hanging out in clubs, I started meeting a better class of men (and new girlfriends, too) at places like the gym and the community college, where I was doing things that interested me on a deeper level.  Go figure.  Maybe Mama was right after all!  You can do this, too. Good luck and God bless.

February 15, 2007, 8:40 am CST

Quote From: woahhimjess

That is basically how I live. That is how every teen i know lives except for an innocent 2 or 3. Kids are going to hide drugs even after they have been caught. Hell I was caught a couple months ago and had to suffer for a couple weeeks but look in my drawer and you will see some liquor look in my altoids can and see pills. What you do not know is that these teenagers do not know any different. I recently transfered to an all girls catholic school from a public school. At my old school now the majority of 15 years olds are coked-up, drunk, or high on pills pretty much every day. When I went there i was dependant on that stuff but now i am not. I am attempting to try to change who I am but it is sooooooooooooooo hard. Teenagers will drink and do drugsd all the time and you cant stop it. You can only TRY to control your kid. When i am able to drink I am going to drink like a crazy person and most likely  be an alcoholic. It is what I am used to. People need to wake up and realize what is going on. I am not a bad kid and Ive been thru tough s***=rape,depression,suicide but i have issues. So do most teens. My good friend just got out of rehab. I am not attemptin to quit pills. I am only 15 but hopefully I can change my habits YES HABITS thats what they are just like brushing your teeth it is a habit that gets easily slipped to become routine.

comments?

Im wondering if you can answer some questions for me about your rape?  How old were you, was it someone you knew, did anybody help you with the trauma of it all, have you pressed charges or gone to the police?

From past experience I know the pain of rape/sexual assault and abuse is vast.  Popping pills, doing drugs, even suicide, often seems a far better choice then continuing to feel the pain.

Im hoping you have a family which supports you and has been a help to you with your healing and recovery.  Im afraid that may not be happening in your situation.  Am I wrong?  Hoping so!!!

February 15, 2007, 8:41 am CST

I don't think...

Quote From: woahhimjess

comments?

I don't think "most" teens go to school high all the time.  I don't think society should just accept that every teen uses drugs to self medicate.  Sure, most teens have issues, but that doesn't mean they choose to waste brain cells to cope with them either.  Most teens I know don't abuse drugs and that shouldn't be that status quo.  This isn't a habit, it's an ADDICTION.  You can't get a job high- they test for that.  You can't be a responsible adult 10 years from now hooked on pills and alcohol.  Go to rehab and don't fall into the "everyone else does it so what the h*&#".  Youre an individual, what's good for you isn't for others, and if you have to lose friends to be functional, so be it.  Watch where they'll be in 10 years- face all bloated like Britney Spears, in and out of rehab- is that what you want for you?

February 15, 2007, 9:24 am CST

I love what you said....

Quote From: cpa2be

My mother died from alcoholism in 1984, she was 50 years old.  I was only 16 years old at the time, and I alone took care of her up until the very end.  it was the most awful thing you could imagine.  It is a death that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I have heard some people joke about "living fast, dying young, and leaving a pretty corpse."  Well, they've probably never seen a corpse.  I have, and there's nothing pretty about any of them.  And there is no glamour in partying oneself to death.  It's painful, degrading, and soul-killing... for everyone.  I wish to God that I could show them what my Mom went through at the end, and how it affected - and continues to affect - those of us left behind. 

I hope Dr. Phil & Robin can get through to them. 

I am in recovery and i know what living in the fast lane can do to you,your soul,and the people who you love and love you.using starts with pain and ends with pain.See,people that use like that are not happy they are probably hurting inside.Its a selfish way to handle things......Its a prison without bars(for now)that seems worse then the one with bars.....Addiction,   to  me,  is something like this....."Heres a dog tied to a tree,theres a piece of meat that hes after but the chains to short it will not allow the dog to get the meat....He tries over and over agian,choking himself to get that piece of meat that seems so good.The moon settles and hes still after this meat,He still contiues to try for the meat even though going after the meat is choking him......Now dont look further than needed   in my story,I love animals but i was only trying to point out what this disease does...you go after that drink or drug even though you know its gonna choke ya.....thats the crazy thing about it and it repeats itself...If nothing changes,nothing changes.....

February 15, 2007, 9:34 am CST

my sister

Just this past week, my sister went to a bar with her friends (whom she works with) for a girl's birthday.  She was thrown out of the bar.  She then became combative in the limo as the girls tried to get her keys as she was going to drive.  She did drive & wrecked her car.  She doesn't remember anything about the night & woke up with blood & B.M. all over her apartment.  Thankfull she didn't hurt herself or anyone else.  But, It will happen if she doesn't stop.  As a mother of 4 children, I don't  want anyone like her on the road.  If she did hurt someone, she should be prosecuted, sister or not!  She passed out in a booth of a fancy restauraunt last week.  Also, she walks around with a bottle & says she's drinking water, but it's Vodka.  I wish she would just stop-I don't know if she needs help or just to stop partying all the time.  When she puts others at risk, I feel there should be something done about it.

February 15, 2007, 11:59 am CST

When I was still in university, I used to party with my friends. Sometimes, we partied really hard. We never had to wait in line to go to clubs, we didn't have to pay for our drinks, often. We did enjoy ourselves, not like the girls in this episode did, but we did have fun. Only thing is, we thought ahead. We always got someone sober to drive for us. And we'd PLAN in advance WHO would be driving us. Another thing we did, is, after the club, we always went to the restaurant to eat, talk, take our time. We'd leave really late into the night, but, they were less people on the road by that time.

After a while, I stopped partying... and I became the designated driver. I didn't want my friends to get in a car with someone who had drank, or worse, drive themselves. So I picked them up, drove them back, even if sometimes it meant going a 10 or 15 minute drive further away then I had intended. And, one big thing... my friends and I made a pact to NOT let one of us leave with someone we had just met in a club. We were responsible, even though we were drinking. Which isn't the case with everybody. And we did grow out of it. We still go out sometimes, but not all that often. And we don't need to drink 'til we drop. The girls in this episode need to realize that fun doesn't mean having to be drunk or high.

I already know too many people who lost their life because of drunk drivers... I don't want to know more! There are solutions...cabs, buses, designated drivers... There's nothing wrong with drinking... but it has to be done in a responsible manner.

Anyone remember the poem that used to be around alot before?   About a girl who's dying because she was in a car accident...she got hit by a drunk driver, while she was comng back from a party where she didn't drink because that's what her parents taught her to do.  It's unfair how drunk drivers take the lives of so many innocent people, because they are too proud or too stupid to ask for someone to drive them.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last