Message Boards

Topic : 06/15 Biggest Reunions Ever

Number of Replies: 364
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 09, 2007, 02:45:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 2/16/07) Imagine your weight getting so out of control that it confined you to your home, to a room, even to a bed. Now imagine the isolation you’d feel when you could no longer visit your friends and family, and had to depend on another person for basic needs like food and getting to the bathroom. Cindy, 35, is approximately 500 pounds and completely depends on her 15-year-old daughter, Vikki, for everything. Vikki says because of her mother’s weight, life at home is one big fight, and the only time she had some peace was when Child Welfare removed her for a few weeks. Does Cindy put too many demands on her daughter? Dr. Phil surprises Cindy by reuniting her with her mother, Linda, whom she hasn’t been able to see in eight years. Then, meet a man who has been trapped in his bedroom for over two years. Bob says he hasn’t smelled the outside air in years and has no idea what the real world is like beyond his four bedroom walls. The last time he was able to check his weight, it was 900 pounds. How much does he weigh now? Dr. Phil surprises Bob with a visit from someone who’s become his biggest supporter, a man he speaks with every day but has never met. After seeing doctored photos of their thinner selves, will Cindy and Bob agree to work hard with the resources headed their way? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2007, 9:32 am CST

why did eat so much

i thing you need help dr phill can help you dont eat fat foods its badfor you   iwant to meet dr phill so bad and robing i wish that icoud met them ihad wight pobrly to but i dont want thing to happing to you ok chlp

February 16, 2007, 9:34 am CST

facing the truth

I can relate to the addiction that both are facing.  I have anorexia which is also a type of food addiction.  It is the addiction to the feeling of not eating as opposed to eating.  I hope everyone who has a problem with overeating faces their excuses for not getting better.  The classic of not being able to afford healthier food is one.  As Dr. Phil pointed out, healthy food costs less.  I use that one too, saying more food costs more.  But is doesn't cost more than all the doctors and therapy.  Just stay focused on overcoming the addiction and keep checking in with reality.  You can do it!

February 16, 2007, 9:54 am CST

It Ain't Hard

Quote From: jrmsr_

Hey U you are a Doctor and said that she was taking 1300 MG of Perecet per day thats Impossible thats 130- 10mg Pills or 52 -25mg Pills per day and NO Doctor will order any 1 over 80mg Per Day Please  Respond and TYVM  JIM MAYNARD. what does she do buy them off the street. Please
This woman isn't going to get around to buy them off the streets.  People do, however, go to more than one doctor and more than one pharmacy in order to get around it.  They can also buy many prescriptions over the Internet and/or order them from Canada.

February 16, 2007, 10:33 am CST

02/16 Biggest Reunions Ever

Quote From: rallen

That woman should be ashamed of how she treats her daughter! Making her do all the cleaning, including cleaning a bucket of urine?! Are you kidding me?! How does that ever become okay to a mother?????? That poor girl - she SHOULD be taken away from that home and given a chance to be a child!

I'm all for chores and teaching responsibility, but do that for the sake of the child - not because you can't get your fat butt up to do it yourself. Her attitude was apalling. She will be obese until she dies unless she takes some responsibility and decides she wants to be healthy for herself and her daughter. She seemed more than just a little okay with her lifestyle. Why not? She has people waiting on her hand and foot. Disgusting!!

I hope that the gentleman on the show is able to change his lifestyle as well. He at least seemed somewhat contrite and wanted to change. He didn't seem nearly as happy about his weight and his situation as the woman did.

I am Cindy's care provider and Vic and I have a system where she does whats reasonable for her age, yes she does do some things for her mother but would you be so upset if her mother had MS or was blind or had some other illness or are you just mad because she's fat?????   Like any other teenager the privileges that Vic has are based on her behavior, have you ever known any teenager who didn't feel they were unduly picked on or that life was horribly unfair. She's 15 and she has the freedom of a 15 yr old the problem is that when she was between 8 and 10 she also had the freedom of a 15 yr old because Cindy was so in a depression that she wasn't participating in what was going on with Vic and now that she is, Vic is irritated that she can't just run around willy nilly with no accountability, she now attends school regularly and just passed all her first sem. of high school classes with Cs or better now thats progress!!!!!

February 16, 2007, 10:41 am CST

Quote From: mistyc

You are going to get a lot of hate thrown at you for your post, but I for one agree.  I have recently lost 18, and I have another 20 left to go.  It has been hard damn work but I realized that if I continued down the road I was on I wouldn't be around for my children or my husband.  Only I could make the decision to straighten up and act right

Congrats to you !

18lbs is a GREAT start to a healthier life, and a great way to ensure you will be around for your husband and children, nothing worth while ever comes easy ( or we'd all have more than 2.5 kids right hehe), and you are so right, only YOU could make that decision for yourself, but I think the people on this show need people to stop enabling them to kill themselves, and stop her from using her daughter as a care giver (her job to care for the child, not the othr way around ).

I've often wondered if the enablers though of what would happen if these people took a non fatal stroke or heart attack that only disabled them ? Who would be able to turn a 500lb person that is unable to even help because of partial or total paralysis ?

Again, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, and you can do it.

February 16, 2007, 10:45 am CST

Quote From: trena_pooh

this lady can go to the store and movies is hard to believe she said she cant go to bathroom without  loosing her breath what makes you think we believe she goes to restroom i think this young lady thats her daughter should be a kid not a care giver, i understand she loves her mom and she wants to help her mom but she needs a life if i was in her shoes yes id argue with my mom when she tell me to do chores, BECAUSE LADY SHE SICK OF ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY'S SHES DOING THATS HER MOMS JOB BUT CANT DO BECAUSE SHE CHOOSE TO EAT EAT , and i know its hard to loose weight but what do you expect you never get off your but, look I'm sorry if you think I'm being hard but you got a job to do is take care of your daughter not her 100% taking care of you, she needs you know more than ever in her teen yrs, now she just don't have you to take care of and be at you every beck and call she also has teen, pear pressure, i think if you love her and I'm sure you do you will get a 24/hr aids and if you cant give her to a family member to care for her not her care for them.their agency's that can help you . maybe you need to do things for your self your care giver says you go to movies and stuff THEN GET OFF YOU BUTT AND EMPTY YOUR OWN PEE AND #2 waste your self. what do you think her friends are thinking when they hear O now i see why she cant do this or that she taking care of her mother that can go to the movies but cant dump her own waste I'm sorry but thats ABUSE. I SEE WHY YOU ARE IN A CASE WITH ABUSE.PLZ UNDERSTAND THIS I'M SORRY I'M NOT TRYING TO DEPRESS YOU I WANT YOU TO LOOK AND LISTEN TO THE SHOW AFER ITS TAPED AND REALIZE WHAT VICKY'S GOING THROUGH AND HAS BEEN THROUGH WITH YOU.. A CONCERNED FRIEND. IF YOU WANT SOME ONE TO TALK TO I WILL TALK WITH YOU I WANT YOU TO KNOW YOU NEED COUNSELING  IF YOUR GOING GOOD I'M PROUD BUT VICKY NEEDS ALIFE A LIFE WHERE SHES BING TAKEN CARE OF. I KNOW VICKY LOVES YOU IT SHOWS BUT SHE WANTS YOU AND HER TO DO THINGS TOGETHER AND YOUR MISSING OUT ON HER BECAUSE YOU WANT TO EAT YOUR SELF TO DEATH, DON'T YOU WANT TO C HER MARRY, HAVE CHILDREN, YOU C YOUR GRANDCHILDREN? I'M SURE YOU DO TRY TO GET THIS HELP AND LIVE LONG FOR YOUR SELF AND YOUR DAUGHTER I'M WORRIED ABOUT YOU ILL PRAY FOR YOU AND VICKY TRENA FROM OHIO
sorry i didnt read the whole thing just wanted to say that at her weight 2 steps to get on her mobility cart is considerably different than 25 steps each way to the bathroom

February 16, 2007, 11:25 am CST

Been there and done that.

I can certainly understand where the people in the show are coming from. Although I am not that heavy, I am overweight. My weight looks worse because of my small stature. I have tried, I don't know how many diets, and I always gain the weight back and usually more with it. I have some major health problem that include diabetes, gastroporesis, diverticulitis, arthritis, and have even had a heart attack. Some of these problems would correct themselves if I lost this weight.. I would likt to try and have the lap-band surgery done but I don't think that my insurance would cover the procedure and I don't have the money to pay for it myself. I have taken different kinds

f drugs, from alcohol, cocaine,  to even meth,  because I was and am so depressed about my weight. I am sure that there is help for the 2 people that were on the show. You are very lucky to have found Dr. Phil. 

February 16, 2007, 11:38 am CST

I agree!

Quote From: swchick

Your wrote "when you are addicted to a substance, you can't just simply draw the line"

Oh yes you can.  The "internal pharmacology" of addiction can be conquered.  And food addicts most certainly ARE choosing to satisfy cravings and enjoying the pleasures of eating too much over leading a decent life.   They are choosing to have that kind of "fun" over another kind of life.  I do buy that some people have a tendency to overweight.   They may be intrinsically less active or less muscular.   They may be naturally more sedentary.  That can be fought in many cases and controlled if not overcome.   I do buy that some people may have more appetite and need more food to feel satisfied than others,  whether as a result of some natural variation in the appetite hormones or as a by product of medication, or disease process, etc.   But a tendency to overweight or overeating can be fought and controlled.   I don't buy that a person can't choose to be less satisfied in one way in order to have a more satisfactory existence in another way.

It is possible to limit food that comes into your house, and to not cook, have cooked,  or order food and eat all day long.  Having an appetite isn't the same as satisfying that appetite.
I do not understand how anyone can tolerate the discomfort of being overweight, let alone get to the point of being mega-obese.   I've been literally starving , when I was young and poor.   I've craved fattening foods and done without and felt the discomfort of that.  None of that compares to the misery and pain of being overweight.   It felt worse than any hunger I've ever experienced.

So I can't really wrap my tiny mind around the choice to be super super fat and eat, vs a more sensible and comfortable  choice to eat enough and be nourished and be maybe a bit overweight but not mega obese.

Read Dr. Oz's book "You: On a Diet".  It explains the biology of eating and satiety.  Once you understand that, then eating well and living well can be done, even for so-called food addicts.

I have fought my weight all my life.  After using the principles in this book, I understand the biology of it all and it has been so easy to loose the punds I needed to loose -- and not be hungry.  It all boils down to the choices you make.  Smokers choose to light up, alcoholics choose to drink, and food addicts choose to overeat.

I agree that being fat is much worse than being hungry.  When I was at my heaviest, it was hard to do the things I wanted to do.  When weight interfers with life, it is time to do something.  Walking 30 minutes a day does wonders for your psyche -- and your health!

February 16, 2007, 12:09 pm CST

Fruits and vegetables are too expensive!!???

They are not any more expensive than the carbs that Cindy manages to buy!!!

Her poor daughter!

February 16, 2007, 12:20 pm CST

Me: On a Diet

Quote From: kphilips10

Read Dr. Oz's book "You: On a Diet".  It explains the biology of eating and satiety.  Once you understand that, then eating well and living well can be done, even for so-called food addicts.

I have fought my weight all my life.  After using the principles in this book, I understand the biology of it all and it has been so easy to loose the punds I needed to loose -- and not be hungry.  It all boils down to the choices you make.  Smokers choose to light up, alcoholics choose to drink, and food addicts choose to overeat.

I agree that being fat is much worse than being hungry.  When I was at my heaviest, it was hard to do the things I wanted to do.  When weight interfers with life, it is time to do something.  Walking 30 minutes a day does wonders for your psyche -- and your health!

Is this book "You:  On a Diet" really that good?  There are so many diet books out there and I think I've read most of them.  The last one I read was "French Women don't get Fat."  Boy, did that one suck!  From what I know, the best diet is healthy eating and exercise.  There are no "wonder drugs" out there that are healthy to take.  I must advocate for Weight Watchers though as they do promote healthy eating and exercise, even doctors recommend their program. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last