Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Love or Money

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:39:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/20/07) You’ve heard the old adage: “Money can’t buy love,” but Dr. Phil’s guests say they’re in cash-only relationships. Hope is a self-professed “sugar babe” who says she is wined and dined by her sugar daddy, Davis, a wealthy businessman. There’s just one small catch: Hope is married! Her husband, Al, knows all about her financial arrangement, but still wants to stay in the relationship. How much longer can Hope balance both a spouse and a sponsor? Then, 34-year-old Kelly denies being a sugar mama, even though she pays for her 20-year-old boyfriend, Zachary's, personal needs including food, clothes and video games. She even moved him into her house! Kelly’s friend, Megan, says it’s high time Zachary got kicked to the curb! Does this May/December romance stand a chance, or are Zachary and Kelly wasting their time? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 18, 2007, 6:12 pm CST

02/20 Love or Money

it's just about easy money, all these people care about is money. Sad, but they are only out to get what they can from others and those who pay out the money are just as bad, none of them deserves to be married, if you can't stay within your marriage and keep your vows and be faithful then don't get married. There are many more, productive ways of making money with out being slutty and disgusting. these people have such low self esteem, it's sad, they are wasting their lives away. If I would ever catch my husband with one of these slutty type of people, I would divorce him in a heart beat, no way would I share my husband with any one. Not worth the money people, get some therapy or something, you are playing with fire and one of these days, you are gonna get burnt......................

February 18, 2007, 6:20 pm CST

02/20 Love or Money

Any spouse who allows this to go on has got to have some mental issues or something. NO WAY would I accept my spouse acting like this. it's obnoxious and nothing but an excuse to cheat. If he loves her, then he will not accept her doing this crap, it's wrong, he's the one married to her, not some desperate nem rod who has no respect for women and whywould anyone want to be with some one who has no respect for themselves? To the husband, you deserve better then this, I would give her a choice, get your act together, be with me, get the help you need or leave and if she doesn't leave, tehre's sucha  thing as divorce. Unfortuantely, we have this thing called divorce and it's because of peoplel ike this who are clueless abouyt love and committment, wo has no respect for the marriage union and quite frankly doesn't deserve to be married. Grosses me out just thinking about it..............

February 19, 2007, 5:51 am CST

I agree...

Quote From: ceildh1

I think with the Sugar Daddies, they aren't looking for commitment, just some arm candy that they can buy for awhile, although as a woman, I can't see that one being eye candy to be honest and as for being married, well I've never seen a man more in need of a set than him, I mean to be honest, how many men would put up with that ?  I knoww mine would leave rather quickly.

I don't think him doing drugs would really matter to her, as long as they could buy her what she wants, bottom line for her, show me the money honey, YUCK, I'm open to a lot of things, but this I find degrading, she seems to want to perpetuate the stereotype of women as gold digging bitches, which simply isn't true.

BLECH

The husband does need to grow a pair!  Why settle for someone who will sell herself to just anyone?  I think he deserves to be treated better.  He should say "I have a standard for how people treat me, and the way you treat me is sub-standard, so goodbye!".  Why put yourself at risk for disease, and who wants a gold digger anyway?  Because at the back of your mind, there's your pesky conscience always wondering why that person is still with you and when or if they'll find a better deal and dump you.  I think he should divorce her and take half of the $ she made from workin' the sugar daddy.

The woman needs to stop selling her assets to anyone who'll buy and stop cheapening herself.  She needs to set some boundaries to what she will and won't do....a safety mechanism that may save her life.  No one should look up to gold digging, which she glamorizes simply by doing.  I don't think she's cool for selling herself...just kind of sad.  I wish she had more self respect than that.

February 19, 2007, 2:36 pm CST

love or money?

the age difference is not the subject...the base of the relationship IS!    Married with a sugar daddy on the side?...just plain shameful and sleazy.....Marriage is a contract in the eyes of God and I wouldn't want to get him ticked off...it's also recognized by the IRS...does this married lady claim the Sugar Daddy as income?  People will do whatever they want with their body and sole...some of us have too much self respect.

February 19, 2007, 4:38 pm CST

02/20 Love or Money

Quote From: chellenin

Why can't you have both?  I am 38, my husband 30 and we have been together for 9 years.  The age difference is great for both of us and guess what...we have money too.  It wasn't always like that.  I made twice as much as he did, but I helped him see what possibilities there were for him.  Within two years my income looked like chump change.  Our income went back and forth for a few years between who was making more, but we continued to keep building the life we both wanted. 

We have found that if you treat each aspect of your life with the same importance you have all that you desire...Love and money.

I truly think people who are after just money have such a limited view of life in general.  How sad.

I think your situation is different. You built a healthy and successful marriage with some you love and who loves you. Thats something to be proud of.
These people are nothing more then prostitutes of sorts that sell there company to the highest bidder. Shameful, really.

February 19, 2007, 6:30 pm CST

02/20 Love or Money

Quote From: chellenin

Why can't you have both?  I am 38, my husband 30 and we have been together for 9 years.  The age difference is great for both of us and guess what...we have money too.  It wasn't always like that.  I made twice as much as he did, but I helped him see what possibilities there were for him.  Within two years my income looked like chump change.  Our income went back and forth for a few years between who was making more, but we continued to keep building the life we both wanted. 

We have found that if you treat each aspect of your life with the same importance you have all that you desire...Love and money.

I truly think people who are after just money have such a limited view of life in general.  How sad.

Kudos to you and your husband, the age difference is nothing really and if it is a mutually supportive relationship, than there's no reason you can't have both money and love.

I agree, the ones who are only looking for the money, are quite narrow minded and shallow people, that being said though, I would NOT be supporting a man that had no other ambition than to live as a kept man, we'll see tommorrow if that twenty year old has any ambition at all.

February 20, 2007, 2:24 am CST

Love or Money

I cannot understand for the life of me why Al, Hope's husband, stays with her.  She is definitely sure that she doesn't want to stay in this marriage so he should just let her go and do her "Sugar-daddying". Unfortunately i can see Hope, in 10-15 years time, becoming delusioned about these flingy relationships.  She may gain a lot of possessions maybe but she will be used and abused, as with Davis declaring that he doesn't really give a hoot about her and would never marry her. As for Kelly, i am really frustrated and worried about her at the same time.  She is using  her credit cards to support them plus Zachary.  I do believe they have a parent-child relationship and when Zach grows up he will leave.  I just wish she would push him out to get a job to help with the home expenses. Plus i don't believe she's a good role model for her daughter Megan, who is only 6.  Kelly says that shes too young to know whats going on, but shes wrong, dead wrong. I believe Megan knows exactly whats happening and may even grow resentful of her mother and Zachary.  When i was 3 and a half, my mum had an affair and she took me with her to this man's house with whom she had sex with.  Dad was at work and I knew that what mum was doing was wrong at the time and i sort of went out of the room and tried to not listen or know what was happening. I kept it all inside of me and didn't tell Dad, because i felt sorry for him and didn't want to hurt him.  Since that time i began to harbour anger and resentment towards mum, until the week that she passed away and we made our peace. Mum by this time had become an alcoholic, as her and Dad didn't love each other. The point being that at 3 and a half years of age i knew exactly what infidality was and even now, i am 55, it's still clear in my mind and i can still see the scene in front of me. So Megan does know what is going on, poor innocent child.  Ideally Kelly should put Zachary out for her daughter's sake. Maria3255

February 20, 2007, 2:44 am CST

money over love - more common than you think!

As an expat living overseas, I see examples everyday of this kind of thing. Local women (in the country in which I live) have very little opportunity unless they date/marry outside of their culture. Expat men are seriously pursued (read "hunted") by desperate local women whose first questions are "what do you do?" and "where are you from?" Another passport and a wealthy man are their ticket out! And I suppose if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't blame them! Faced with the prospect of making $100 a month and living with my extended family for most of my life, I would jump at the chance to have someone take me away from it all! On the other hand, as an expat woman (married to an expat man) I am disturbed when I see how expat men behave around women (often younger and very attractive) that will do anything to get a piece of what they have. I suppose to some extent both are leading a symbiotic relationship: one for sex and the other for money. In the end both are seeking status.

February 20, 2007, 5:07 am CST

02/20 Love or Money

sugar baby- sugar daddy- sugar mama- wow cant believe these people, you have just given children's long lasting caramel sucker and candy coated caramel drops,  a very bad view, lets call this what it is, its prostitution with out being arrested, the sugar daddy is no better than the man cruising the streets looking for a hooker to take his $20.00 for a quickie, and the woman is just as low as a hooker out on the streets working a street corner, and her husband is no more than a low life pimp hooking his wife out!! if you ask me Dr Phil you should have all these people arrested for just that.

February 20, 2007, 6:41 am CST

02/20 Love or Money

Quote From: gwarrior6

How can someone sell romance to someone else while being married?  Isn't that like a waste of effort on the sugar daddy's part?  He knows he can't ever really have her because she's married, so why invest all that time and money?  Why would she want to prostitute herself to the highest bidder?  Couldn't an IV drug user with an STD (and the right price) buy her services and she could contract a virus that she in turn gives to her husband?  It seems dangerous to me.
She's not selling romance, she's selling her body. He doesn't want a commitment so he doesn't care if he will never have her. And she'd better find someone to finance all that cosmetic surgery she want's real soon cause her looks are fading fast. She's long past the ARM CANDY age. Not only could she get an STD, she could also attract a sexual predator. This kind of behavior IS extremely DANGEROUS. But maybe that's part of why she does it. Some people think doing dangerous things are exiting and sexually stimulating. Who knows why people do the stupid things that they do. Then again she may just be too damn lazy to earn money the hard way.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last