Message Boards

Topic : 0 Joy - From the Success Show

Number of Replies: 1710
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:47:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Words of encouragement, tips and ideas... things that worked for me. What is working for you? Let this be a place of motivation. I have lost 103 lbs. and counting.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 14, 2005, 6:52 pm CDT

I'm back

Hi everyone.  

We just returned from our family vacation in "cottage country", about 5 hrs. north of where we live. (Near Huntsville, if that means anything to anyone.) We rented 3 cottages together on a lovely lake for the week. We had already reserved a second one for our son's family, and then at the last minute, booked a third for my in-laws, including my s-i-l and her baby. Talk about the sandwich generation -- my s-i-l has not only the baby, but her parents who aren't very mobile either. f-i-l requires oxygen and tube feedings, and m-i-l along with heart disease, is having a lot of arthritis pain, so it was a major event just to get them all down to the beach for an hour or so every day or two. They seemed to quite enjoy it, especially just all being together, dropping in on one another throughout the day. My poor m-i-l though is terrified of any critters, large or small. Unfortunately, we seemed to share the cottages with a family of chipmunks that could come and go through multiple entry points throughout the cottages, and so she didn't seem to sleep very soundly, always afraid that there'd be a little animal there to greet her. Anyway, it was a wonderful week for making memories, and we had a great time. 

As for my program, I went into town one day to Curves for a work-out, and most other days did 20 - 25 min. of interval walking/running. (Usually 4 min. walking to 1 min. running -- one day I did 3 to 2, the day that hubby didn't join me. I didn't want to push him too hard. LOL)  Seriously though, for all of our married life, he could always out-run me, but now I can keep up with him no problem, and I definitely can outlast him for the long haul. I find that quite amazing!  Now, as for food, it's probably a good thing that we were only gone one week because the longer the vacation stretched, the more permission I gave myself for treats.  I made some good choices, but I also over-indulged other times. All in all I survived, and I'm up one pound. Hubby's up 3, so I guess it could have been worse. (The IE definitely helped.) 

I picked up a new book that I was reading through the week, "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano. Has anyone else read it? I heard her interviewed on TV a while ago, and I thought she was quite interesting. Born in France, she spent her senior highschool year in the US on an exchange program, and returned something like 15 or 20 lbs. heavier. With the help of some re-training in the French approach to food, she returned to her former weight and now living in the US, loves to pass on helpful tips to other women. So much is about portion control, and quality vs. quantity. But they have a whole mind-set that looks at food in an almost reverend way -- to be enjoyed and savoured, not devoured in the mindless way that often gets us into trouble. They're not afraid of a little butter and sugar because it's used minimally. They don't seem to have the "all or nothing" problems that deprivation dieting often brings on. I'm not sure how realistic this is in our society of super-sized grocery stores, but she talks about chosing the freshest of seasonal produce from the local market, and building your menus around the best of the season. It seems a bit of a fantacy, but it's got me thinking about the quality of food that I buy.  An interesting read, for sure. 

Well, back to my unpacking. I'll try to respond to other posts next time I get on. Take care everyone. 

Brenda. 

August 15, 2005, 5:21 am CDT

Jen

Quote From: jenjen27

161/155/153/120  I am gonna post start weight/last monday weight in/current weight in/goal weight to show difference in the week as well.   I also lost 2 inches.  

In three weeks I have lost 8lbs.  Hopefully by next weigh in Ill get it to a total of 10lbs which will be a month! 

Jen 

Hey Jen, way to go! You're doing great. Congrats on the lost lbs. & inches. Those lost inches are the greatest, aren't they. I suspect that either your clothes are fitting you much better by now, or you'll soon be ready for a smaller size. Woo hoooo! 

Brenda. 

August 15, 2005, 5:32 am CDT

Hey Deb

So, how did Christian's appointment go with his new Doctor? I hope you're soon able to get the help you're hoping for. 

And how did the camping and caving go? Was that just one day of cave exploration while you were camping, or do you do more of it? Wow, you're brave! (And my mil was frightened by the chipmunks! LOL) 

I guess you're settling back into school routine by now, but then your summer also starts earlier than ours. My dd is starting to grumble about school, but she's got 3 more full weeks left.  

It's good to hear from you again, Deb. Keep us posted. 

Brenda. 

August 15, 2005, 5:42 am CDT

Melissa

Quote From: zyelycia

This summer has flown. 

I have been so busy with school, kids and new job. I really do not like the job due to less time with family but right now that is what needs to be done to keep our heads above water. 

My eating is better these days. I was slacking off. I have maintained. I have alot to lose. I have set little goals. I would love to post my starting weight, current weight and goal if everyone is okay that we do that. I know someone else has alreadly and I would love to join.  

My exercise has not been happening. I have hurt my back some how. Not sure how. I have been in pain since Monday. It is getting worse. I hate going to the doctors but will probably have to go if it does not subside. I am going to wait. I have to work Saturday. Well enough about that.  

Here is my weights: starting255,current247, goal140 

Okay talk to you ladies later. 

Melissa 

I'm sorry to hear about your back. It's been a week now -- did you get to the Dr.? I hope it's improving.  Don't rush the IE until you're good and ready, but hopefully it won't be much longer. We've all seen how important the IE is! 

I like your approach of setting little goals. Good for you for maintaining. Hopefully you'll see a little more progress soon.  

By all means, continue posting your weights. Every little bit of accountability helps!  I'm afraid mine sounds a bit monotonous, but maybe it would help me also to post it weekly. As of yesterday it is: 209/148/135  

Brenda. 

August 15, 2005, 6:01 am CDT

Linda and all

Yes, I'm also hoping that Dr. Phil has more shows this season on weight issues. Like he says, weight isn't cured, it's managed. Sure hope he continues helping us with that management!  

So, is it back to school time for your boys now, too? Are they excited? They're still young enough that it's probably an exciting time for them. 

My son is more than ready to get back to classes. Nothing like a summer of monotonous, tiring manual labour with lots of overtime to make higher education look pretty good. (And, oh yeh, his girlfriend's back at school too. LOL) Things continue to grow pretty serious between those two. In fact, her parents are coming all the way from Japan this week to meet Jeff (and us -- they'll be staying here with us next weekend.) I'll be plenty busy this week -- nothing like the threat of company to get your house clean! LOL  

Our oldest had a scare with their little guy yesterday. Big brother was rough with him and he fell into the edge of the couch, bending his neck way back, and bleeding from his mouth. He tore that little piece of skin above his upper middle teeth and bit into his lower lip leaving him with a loose tooth. Fortunately however, everything checked out fine with his neck and spine.  He's supposed to get his tooth checked out by a dentist. We're just thankful that it wasn't worse.   

Well, it's time to get moving. Have a good day, everyone. 

Brenda. 

August 15, 2005, 12:31 pm CDT

hey girlies

My weigh in is 161/153/151/120  begining weight/last weeks weight/todays weight/goal weight  

I lost 2lbs this weeek!!  Today has been a whole month for me now and I have lost a total of 10lbs!  I stayed the same since last wednesday.  Its hard to eat exactly right on when your supposed to when out and about.  At least for me.  I didnt indulge but I dont eat everything I am supposed to eat.  When I eat all that is in the DR P menu plan I lose, when I just eat part of it I dont lose or gain. Last weekend was one of the biggest weekends Ive had.  This weekend will be a little better I believe.  Not as much going on.  So if I incorporate what I did begining of last week this week I should hopefully lose more.  Id like to lose 3lbs a week.  I almost did it this week.  

Hope everyone is doing well!!    

((hugs)) 

Jen 

August 15, 2005, 1:36 pm CDT

Jen and all

Way to go, Jen! 10 lbs. gone for good! I'm so happy for you. Congratulation, you're doing great! 

How's everyone doing with key work? Anything to share? 

Brenda. 

August 17, 2005, 6:55 pm CDT

we were on vacation

Sorry to be absent for a while.  I went camping with my husband and kids and my parents.  We had a wonderful time making lots of great memories.  I got in an average of 15000 steps a day on my pedometer, as well as swimming, horseback riding, biking, hiking, canoeing....it was a blast! 

Glad to be back.  Congrats to Jen on the fab weight loss!  Brenda, welcome back.  We certainly missed you....and thank you so much for the e-card.  It was much appreciated and greeted with tears!  :-)  You are a true friend! 

Hope to get back on here tomorrow.  Hope you are all doing well.....haven't had a chance to weigh since we've been back. 

August 18, 2005, 5:11 am CDT

Hey girls

Thanks linda and glad you had a great trip!! 

Thanks for the congrats Brenda!! 

Hope all is going well with all you girls!! 

((hugs))
Jen 

August 18, 2005, 11:38 am CDT

Brenda

Brenda, Glad you had a great vacation!  Thanks for the update on your family.  I also hope that Dr. Phil has more shows based on weight loss topics.  Take care! :) Bren

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last