Message Boards

Topic : 0 Joy - From the Success Show

Number of Replies: 1710
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:47:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Words of encouragement, tips and ideas... things that worked for me. What is working for you? Let this be a place of motivation. I have lost 103 lbs. and counting.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 29, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

Brenda

Quote From: brenbiel

Just checking in to see who's around and to say hello. I must say I'm amazed at how I've found exercise to be so closesly tied in with my eating. About a week ago was the first time in about 20 months that I didn't fit in my IE for about 5 consecutive days. Boy, did that mess me up. Or, was it some stinkin' thinkin' from RSP (so deprived, poor me) that threw off the eating which then played with my motivation for IE.  Add to that a boken Air Conditioner and loss of my vehicle for a couple days -- too hot at home, and unable to get to Curves. 

Any way, excuses aside, it just feels right to be back solid again with my IE. And to think that for YEARS, I thought I hated exercise.  Just didn't know what I was missing!

Sure hope we can keep our board going. I miss you all!

Brenda.

Brenda,

You have been doing so great for exercising consistently for 20 months, that is wonderful !

You asked how we are doing.  I am good.  I have been more active lately, went mall walking today with mom after swimming yesterday.  For me, it is the intentional exercise that makes all the difference.  It affects not only my metabolism, but also how I feel about myself.  I agree with you, once you begin to exercise (as you have), you love it! :)

I also hope we can get the boards going.  I miss the daily talking to you all also! :)

Take care! :) Bren

July 29, 2005, 1:09 pm CDT

Linda

Quote From: mom3boyz

Sorry I've been MIA.  I've been really busy with my family doing some fun summer activities, and just snuck a few minutes today to read posts and to reply.

Not too much going on of interest.  Just enjoying summer so much with my husband and boys.  The pool has been a blast this year.  Yesterday we went to our local amusement park and my pedometer said I walked 17,800 steps and 11.8 miles!  We were exhasted when we got home!  But it was gorgeous weather and we had so much fun riding rides.

Since I walked so much yesterday I skipped my IE today  :-(, but plan on getting some good cardio and abs tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else?

Getting used to the boards yet?  :-)

Linda,

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun this summer with your family!  You walked 11.8 miles, that is incredible. I think you were smart to give your body a chance to rest the next day. The furthest I have ever walked was 6 miles with a group of friends in college.    Again, glad you are having some fun summer activities with your family.  We miss you here.  Take care! :) Bren

July 30, 2005, 11:25 pm CDT

great to be back

I missed everyone so  much while my computer would not work right, and I tried to say hi when I went to visit my parents but I couldn't get on then either. I see my picture is a bit distorted and I need to get a new one, but I wanted to say hi to everyone and let you know that I have had you in my thoughts while I have been gone.

I was told by my doctors that I am not allowed to do any type of exercise other than biking( I need to get my road bike fixed) or stairs(I live in a one level ranch house). So I have been trying to come up with ways to get around that , unfortunately I have gained 10 pounds back, I just got the ok from my doc to do weights again, errg It has been a bit frusterating to go from 1 1/2 hours a day to nothing while trying to figure a way around it all, why can't I exercise, my plantar facitis became so bad I couldn't hardly walk and it was cramping painfully when just sitting. So it has been fun.

We got some news on Christian, he definitely has a severed tendon, but we feel that it is supposed to be put back the way it was and that is the strong feeling both me and my husband have and so we are going to find the doctor that will do what needs to be done. I have prayed like crazy and I feel that what the Lord wants is to have Christians foot whole again, not what the doctors seem to want to hear.  So he is getting tests done that are checking his nerves in  his foot and the muscles in his leg. We had to split it in two because when the stuck the needle into his calf muscle and sent the electricity through it he about lost it, and so we have to give him medicine to sedate him to complete the test next friday, then we get a nother opinion from another doctor about the situation which is very complicated now that the second surgeon shortened the tendon in surgery after the first one severed it, he sort of doesn't want to do what needs to be done, he seems to be backing out of it and wanting to wait, but that is not an option for Christian, things just need to be fixed so that he can use his toe.  So if I could again impart your faith on his behalf that things will be as the Lord desires, I would really appreciate it.

So that is a brief catch up, but I hope to read and catch up myself too, I just wanted to let you know I am finally back on and I have missed you all a lot!!!

Love ya Debbie

July 31, 2005, 9:31 am CDT

Debbie

Debbie,

I am glad to see you back here.  We missed you! :)  Take care! :) Bren

August 1, 2005, 7:49 am CDT

Deb

Hi Deb, it's so good to see you back here again! I've been thinking of you, and I'm glad that you found your way back after the boards were down.

I'm sorry to hear that Christian's got more surgery ahead of him. He's sure had a rough time of it! And yes, I'll certainly continue to pray for you and your family in all these challenges.

I hope you're able to get your bike fixed so you can get in some exercise that way.  Another suggestion would be Pilates. Have you done that?  I love it on the days when I'm just feeling too tired to jump around.  It's probably not the biggest calorie burner, but it's good for toning and strengthening those core muscles. And how about swimming? Would your Dr. approve water aerobics as long as you leave your shoes close to the pool, and tip-toe the rest of the way? Just a couple suggestions.

I can really relate to the pain and frustration you're experiencing with the Plantar Fasciitis. Be sure to follow all their instructions very carefully as to stretching exercises, foot ware etc. I wrecked both my feet when I decided several years ago to take up a vigorous walking program but just used old running shoes that offered little support. Before long both feet were effected and it was so painful for a long time. I even needed crutches at night. (That's when the fascia tries to re-attach to the heel bone, but then you get up and walk and it just tears away again.) I have a friend dealing with it now, and she's been having her foot taped (by a physiotherapist, I believe) which has been helpful. Be sure that you always wear good supportive shoes, inside and out (with orthotics, if possible).

I'm so thankful that my feet are basically pain-free now (I'm sure the loss of weight has helped there a lot too). However, if I forget to bring along my indoor shoes when we're visiting somewhere, it doesn't take long before I can feel slight pulling in my heels, so I just sit as much as possible. 

All the best to you, Deb. It's great to have you back with us. Take care and God bless.

Brenda.

August 1, 2005, 12:28 pm CDT

Hey Debbie!

Quote From: dancin_deb

I missed everyone so  much while my computer would not work right, and I tried to say hi when I went to visit my parents but I couldn't get on then either. I see my picture is a bit distorted and I need to get a new one, but I wanted to say hi to everyone and let you know that I have had you in my thoughts while I have been gone.

I was told by my doctors that I am not allowed to do any type of exercise other than biking( I need to get my road bike fixed) or stairs(I live in a one level ranch house). So I have been trying to come up with ways to get around that , unfortunately I have gained 10 pounds back, I just got the ok from my doc to do weights again, errg It has been a bit frusterating to go from 1 1/2 hours a day to nothing while trying to figure a way around it all, why can't I exercise, my plantar facitis became so bad I couldn't hardly walk and it was cramping painfully when just sitting. So it has been fun.

We got some news on Christian, he definitely has a severed tendon, but we feel that it is supposed to be put back the way it was and that is the strong feeling both me and my husband have and so we are going to find the doctor that will do what needs to be done. I have prayed like crazy and I feel that what the Lord wants is to have Christians foot whole again, not what the doctors seem to want to hear.  So he is getting tests done that are checking his nerves in  his foot and the muscles in his leg. We had to split it in two because when the stuck the needle into his calf muscle and sent the electricity through it he about lost it, and so we have to give him medicine to sedate him to complete the test next friday, then we get a nother opinion from another doctor about the situation which is very complicated now that the second surgeon shortened the tendon in surgery after the first one severed it, he sort of doesn't want to do what needs to be done, he seems to be backing out of it and wanting to wait, but that is not an option for Christian, things just need to be fixed so that he can use his toe.  So if I could again impart your faith on his behalf that things will be as the Lord desires, I would really appreciate it.

So that is a brief catch up, but I hope to read and catch up myself too, I just wanted to let you know I am finally back on and I have missed you all a lot!!!

Love ya Debbie

So good to see you back here again.  I'm so sorry about all the hassle with Christian's foot.  I know that this has been going on for a long time.  I hope that you will get the peace and results that you long for soon.

I so feel for you with the exercise problems.  I think Brenda has a great idea with the swimming, but I know that would probably be hard with your 7 kids!  The pilates is great, too, and can you do some upper body strength training?  I forget if you have hand weights.

Let us know how you are doing.  It's great to have you back on board!

Linda

August 1, 2005, 12:38 pm CDT

national weight loss registry

Have you noticed if you make a mistake in the message title, you can't delete it with the back space?  GRRRRR......

Anyway, I've been filling out my info for the Nat'l weight loss registry.  It has been really interesting.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a registry of anyone in the US who has lost at least 30 lbs. and maintained that loss for at least a year.  (BTW...Brenda, have you maintained your loss for over a year.....do they have one in Canada?)  There are a lot of ?s and I've really enjoyed reading through my questionaires.  They are studying why and how these people are able to keep their weight off over the long term.  It's been a real morale boost to be a part of this and it will be interesting to see where this study goes.

Oh, well.  Just checking in for the day.  I have to admit that my eating has been VERY sloppy over the last few days.....my son turned three and we had several family get togethers.  FORTUNATELY, I have still been maintaining, thanks in part to my consistent IE.  Praise God for his strength in keeping my exercise consistent.  I could NEVER do it myself. 

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

August 1, 2005, 12:57 pm CDT

before and after pics

before (240 lbs.  April 2003)

After: 143 (July 2005)

August 1, 2005, 6:17 pm CDT

Linda

Quote From: mom3boyz

before (240 lbs.  April 2003)

After: 143 (July 2005)

WOW, Linda you were a beautiful woman before, but now you are fantastic, and what a beautiful little boy.  I know you must be very proud of him.

I have been on vacation and what a surprise when I got back and not able to get on the boards.

I felt a little lost for a few days.  LOL

Sounds like everyone is doing good.  Has anyone heard from Joy?  I just wonder what has happened to her.

I have managed to maintain my weight, but it sure is a everlasting battle.  I am going to be really challenged this week.  It is my daughters birthday.  That calls for a mississipi mud cake.  It sure can't be around here for very long or I am doomed.  I am going back to exercise tomorrow.  I haven't been able to exercise since April 12th.  That was when I had my surgery, then I went on vacation.  I am looking fwd to going back.  I feel so much better when I exercise.

Everyone have a great evening.  Dolores

August 1, 2005, 7:07 pm CDT

Linda

Linda, Thanks for sharing with us your before and after photos.  It is very inspiring! :) You are a beautiful person inside and outside!  Take care! :) Bren

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last