Message Boards

Topic : 0 Joy - From the Success Show

Number of Replies: 1710
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, July 04, 2005, 02:47:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Words of encouragement, tips and ideas... things that worked for me. What is working for you? Let this be a place of motivation. I have lost 103 lbs. and counting.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 12:53 pm CDT

Linda

Linda,

That was funny!  It's good to be back! :) Take care! Bren

July 25, 2005, 1:06 pm CDT

Brenda

Brenda,

What you wrote is so true, I think it is those childhood treats like sweets that are our comfort foods now and also the foods that we think "I can have that if I want to because I'm an adult no one is going to tell me not to eat it", then we have to rethink it that "I'm an adult and I choose to eat healthy foods for myself."  I find that if I do things like play with "silly putty" or "play dough" just for fun or chew on bubble gum, it helps me with the urge to be a kid for fun instead of eating for fun or comfort.  Just my thoughts after reading what you said.  Take care! :) Bren

July 26, 2005, 12:49 pm CDT

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!  How is everyone today?  I went swimming 30 minutes yesterday and it was fun! :) Take care everyone! :) Bren

July 27, 2005, 4:44 am CDT

Morning All

I too have a problem with weight..I like this new site. before I could not post because I was using webtv...I do have a computer now...but still like my webtv...I only need like 15 pounds off but being an older lady..just a litte harder...I too have medication for inflammation and pain and of course one of the side effect is gain weight...i put on 5 pounds since I am taking it GRR. I have arthrites in my left knee..taking therapy for it hope I don't have to take it all my life...makes me very depressed...I am very active..I go to CURVES 3 times a week, pool 3 times a week, therapy 3 times a week...gee what more can I do...any suggestions? JOY

July 27, 2005, 5:43 am CDT

Joy

Hey if you go back to the listings of messageboards and go to the one that says "Anybody that just cant seem to start" there is a whole lot of motivation and people who support each other, we started today with getting back on track.  Feel free to join us there.  Everyone is friendly and helpful!!

Jen

July 27, 2005, 6:53 pm CDT

Joy

Hi Joy.  That's got to be frustrating to be gaining weight because of medication.  Is your Dr. able to give you any suggestions? It sounds like you're doing well at keeping active. Good for you.  I belong to Curves too. I love going there my 3 days/week, but also do other workouts another 3 days.

I'm sorry I don't have any brain wave happening for suggestions for you. I'm presuming that you've taken a close look at what you've been eating.  Maybe others will have some suggestions for you.

For me, it took really listening to Dr. Phils blunt statements and reading his book to get me to see my real problem. I really recommend reading the Ultimate Weight Solution. The seven keys discussed there have been a real life saver for me!

All the best and hope to "see you around".  

Brenda.

July 28, 2005, 1:31 pm CDT

Hi Everyone! :)

Hi Everyone! :) I went swimming with my mom today at the YMCA and we enjoyed talking so much (we were swimming with kickboards most of the time) that I stayed in for almost an hour)! Take care everyone! :) Bren

July 28, 2005, 2:47 pm CDT

Joy

Joy, I cut and pasted this from another part of this Dr. Phil site.  Hope #2 answers your question.  Welcome to the board.  Take care! :) Brenda
Have a question about weight? Dr. Phil has the answer. Browse the 10 most commonly asked questions here.

1. Don't genetics affect weight?
Absolutely, but you have to manage your weight within that. Work with the hand you've been dealt; for example, being big-boned is no excuse for being 100 pounds overweight. Accept that you have some extra challenges -- and that you'll probably never be stick-thin -- but don't let that be your excuse.

2. What if medication makes me gain weight?
Some people truly have a medical reason for weight gain. If you have to take medication, or if you have a biological disorder that causes you to gain weight, the best you can do is manage it. Learn to be at peace with it.

3. What about "magic" diets that promise quick results?
Make no mistake -- the billion-dollar diet industry tells you what you want to hear. But losing weight is hard work, every minute of every day. How hard are you willing to work? Do it right once, and you'll reach your goals much quicker than "seven pounds in seven days."

4. My friend lost weight; why didn't her strategy work for me?
Everyone has different challenges, different resources and different gifts. Consequently, people must develop different strategies to accommodate their schedules. Find out what gives you results -- and don't quit if it doesn't seem apparent right away.

5. What if I just really like food?
Just about everybody likes the taste of food, but you have to develop the maturity to balance your intake. Control the quality and the amount of what you eat.

6. How is it that I can like everything about myself except the fat?
You don't feel 100 percent good about yourself. You can't be completely happy with yourself unless you're happy about everything that makes you who you are.

7. I can't seem to get my appetite in check. What's wrong?
If you're overweight, then you're out of control. That's not a natural place to be. You're out of control with your impulses, your life or your schedule. Evaluate your behaviors, anticipate your personal challenges and restore balance.

8. Why do I keep slipping into my old habits?

You can't break habits without forming new ones. If you take something out of your life, there's a void. And when there's a void, it's easy to drift back to what you used to do. You need to replace the bad habit with new, incompatible behavior that will crowd the bad behavior out.

9. How can I heal poor body image?
Don't let low self-esteem be an excuse to not live your best life. Get over it! Stand up and use the gifts you have. Require more of yourself than what you have been requiring. Just because you aren't proud of yourself every minute doesn't mean that you don't get to participate in life. Get specific and define what low self-esteem means to you. Then, behave your way to success.

10. I've always dealt with difficulties using food, but now I've solved my problems. Why am I still fat?

You're holding on to the response that you associated with your problems. Although the problem has been solved, the behavior -- in this case, overeating -- remains. When you solve a problem in your life, you must also stop "dealing" with it in negative ways.

July 29, 2005, 8:53 am CDT

Good morning

Just checking in to see who's around and to say hello. I must say I'm amazed at how I've found exercise to be so closesly tied in with my eating. About a week ago was the first time in about 20 months that I didn't fit in my IE for about 5 consecutive days. Boy, did that mess me up. Or, was it some stinkin' thinkin' from RSP (so deprived, poor me) that threw off the eating which then played with my motivation for IE.  Add to that a boken Air Conditioner and loss of my vehicle for a couple days -- too hot at home, and unable to get to Curves. 

Any way, excuses aside, it just feels right to be back solid again with my IE. And to think that for YEARS, I thought I hated exercise.  Just didn't know what I was missing!

Sure hope we can keep our board going. I miss you all!

Brenda.

July 29, 2005, 12:33 pm CDT

hey everyone!

Quote From: brenbiel

Just checking in to see who's around and to say hello. I must say I'm amazed at how I've found exercise to be so closesly tied in with my eating. About a week ago was the first time in about 20 months that I didn't fit in my IE for about 5 consecutive days. Boy, did that mess me up. Or, was it some stinkin' thinkin' from RSP (so deprived, poor me) that threw off the eating which then played with my motivation for IE.  Add to that a boken Air Conditioner and loss of my vehicle for a couple days -- too hot at home, and unable to get to Curves. 

Any way, excuses aside, it just feels right to be back solid again with my IE. And to think that for YEARS, I thought I hated exercise.  Just didn't know what I was missing!

Sure hope we can keep our board going. I miss you all!

Brenda.

Sorry I've been MIA.  I've been really busy with my family doing some fun summer activities, and just snuck a few minutes today to read posts and to reply.

Not too much going on of interest.  Just enjoying summer so much with my husband and boys.  The pool has been a blast this year.  Yesterday we went to our local amusement park and my pedometer said I walked 17,800 steps and 11.8 miles!  We were exhasted when we got home!  But it was gorgeous weather and we had so much fun riding rides.

Since I walked so much yesterday I skipped my IE today  :-(, but plan on getting some good cardio and abs tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else?

Getting used to the boards yet?  :-)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last