Message Boards

Topic : 02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 15, 2007, 04:41:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Sarah and Tecoa check in with Dr. Phil after three months of drug rehabilitation. Sent to two separate rehab centers, the twin sisters had to learn to stand on their own two feet before they could move forward in sobriety. The sisters haven’t seen each other in months. How is Tecoa doing after giving birth and placing the baby for adoption? Which twin relapsed and used IV drugs after months of hard work? Then, after rescuing Sarah and Tecoa, Joani finds herself back to the life of addiction -- abusing pain killers, lying to doctors and even meeting one of the twins’ old drug dealers to purchase heroin! How did this happen? Plus, a viewer inspired by Sarah and Tecoa’s story reaches out for help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 22, 2007, 9:07 am CST

Congrads to the three women!

I want to send my congrats to the three women on trying to start living a normal life. I know it will be a continuous hard job for them because of being on drugs for as long as they have been. The girls looked soooo good compare to 4 months ago. I really believe that they will not go back to their lifestyle, including Joni. If it wasn't for Joni to write Dr. Phil, her twins would probably not be here today. Once again, Congratulations keep up the good work it is not over." 

February 22, 2007, 9:20 am CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Quote From: geekasaur

Life in chronic pain is no joke, and I completely understand where Joani has been and how she got there.  Everyone is right that if you take narcotics you will be physically addicted to it.  What few people get is that for many people in chronic pain, they will back that up by saying, "So, what's your point?  Yes it is addictive, and I would dearly love to be on anything else, I would, if I could, but I can't, so I won't."

I came down with something called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in 1994, comepletely out of the blue.  Prior to that, I cycled 60 km (about 35 miles) a day, to and from work.  My wife and I were very good ballroom dancers, which TV watchers now know is a lot of effort.  Instantaneously it was all over.  I was using a cane, then 2, then Canada canes, then crutches, then a walker, a wheelchair and now a power chair.  Every step down came with a lot of resistance and I waited far too long before finally giving in.  With my meds it was the same story.  I began with anti-inflammatories and the other painkillers, followed by codeine and then on up through its derivatives, morphine and its derivatives, etc.  When my condition was it its worst, I was on 85 mg of sub-cu dilaudid (hydromorphone) an hour. Sub-cu is about twice the strength of pills, I am told, which would make it 10 times stronger than morphine..  I am now on about 10% of that, as fentanyl.  Thank God for socialized medicine, because the dilaudid cost $350 Canadian a day, about $300 US.  That is a day, folks!

Right now, all up my drugs and other medical expenses total $23,000+ a year, most of which is covered by socialized medical support and insurance.  It still isn't cheapand doesn't include all the non-medical costs, like equipment and "decorating" costs, and a great topic for an expose is the cost of being disabled - try toilet seats.  Going down the last 2" is the killer, so a toilet seat that eliminates it is worth its weight in gold, or almost, since it costs $135 and not even gold costs that much!  You can buy motorcycles cheaper that power wheelchairs, suitably kitted out with extras like seats and controllers (I am not joking!).

Joani has my sympathy and deserves yours.  Yes, she made a mistake, Yes it is awful easy to make, and easier to throw stones.  While it doesn't make her mistake right, neither is all the stonethrowing.
I too understand the awful consequences of drug addiction. Sadly about 10 years ago my boyfriend (now husband) and I were addicted to meth. I got off fairly easily but my husband struggled for a while we are both meth free and have been for 9-10 years. I am now struggling with a pain pill addiction (any kind of pain pill, it doesn't matter to me what kind) and while I beat my meth addiction alone with no rehab I went cold turkey, I can't seem to kick the pain pill addiction. My husband has no idea that I have been on them for almost 2 years. I have wanted to tell him so many times but I just can't bring myself to tell him, because not only do I worry about whether or not he will leave me (which I would understand and not blame him) but I cannot live with the fact that I will have disappointed him and know that he will never look @ me the same way ever again, I just keep telling myself that I can do this alone and beat it with him being none the wiser. I have been trying to get off of them for about 6 months now and honestly it's not going so great, but I still cannot tell my husband that I need help. And to be honest if  the pain pills didn't have serious long term use affects then I probably wouldn't even be considering getting off of them. I suffer from back problems and I work in the healthcare field, sometimes I know that if I didn't have the pain pills I couldn't do my job because of my back, so not only do they help with the pain, they also give me infinite patience and empathy for the patients that I deal with on a daily basis. I love my job and I don't want to quit because I have a problem with pain meds but I can't see doing this line of work without them either. I realize I am probably just making excuses for myself and I hate that. But I love the way the make me feel and it's so wonderful to be able to go to work with minimal pain (it's always there, no matter how many pills I take). I know I must get help soon because my pill intake is usually about 10-15 pain pills a day. I just wish there was a way without having to hurt my family. I got myself into this mess now I guess I must get myself out. Anyone with any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but please try not to judge me. I seem to be judging myself just fine all by my self. I don't need strangers telling me how big of a piece of crap I am or how I should be ashamed of myself. Believe me I tell myself that everyday.

February 22, 2007, 9:42 am CST

To Sarah:

Sarah, I just want to tell you how great you look!  As a fellow Annapolitan (you know how small this town is), I saw you many times on West Street.  You look so beautiful and sound so happy.   It warms my heart that you have found a career that fills you with happiness-- most of us spend our lives searching but never find the perfect job.  Congratulations on your success thus far!  One day at a time. 

-- Beth

February 22, 2007, 11:04 am CST

pain

I have a child who will be clean and sober 5 years this August and within the last year he has been complaining of back pain.  He has had a mri that shows arthritis.  He is only 25 my fear is that he will start taking pain medication and throw him in a spiraling down cycle.  Just like Jonie with her back pain I guess we just have to hope and pray.

February 22, 2007, 11:15 am CST

Stay Strong

I had been praying for Sarah, that she would be the strong one and stay clean.  I was so proud of her, she looked GREAT!!  I hope that her sister will stop falling weak to the temptation and work harder to do the right thing.  I'll keep praying for them.  I have a son who started at 19 and is now 27 who is struggling to get off heroin on his own because he cannot afford a rehab center.  Take advantage of Dr. Phil has to offer and make us all proud of your future.  The job is a great start, pets are such good companions, they will always make you feel human and loved.  Keep up the good work and be a living testimony to the millions of people who continue to abuse. 
May God bless you.

February 22, 2007, 1:32 pm CST

wow

I couldn't believe how great Sara looked! She looked like a completely different person! Thank you all for sharing your experiences with us. Good luck to you!

February 22, 2007, 1:33 pm CST

looking great

Congrats to both of you for staying in rehab and getting the help ypu needed, you both are such beautiful girls and your faces sure shine....Dacoa sorry to hear that you relaped but keep your head high and don't allow that deveil to come back in your life, please allow yourself every help you can to stay straight, you have so much support not only from Dr.Phil and his wife but many of us who have watched your struggle with this...Sara well what can i say am very proud of you for what you have done, as myself and many others we didn't think that you would be the one to keep clean but girl you did it  and hope you will be strong and don't go back, be proud of what you have done with your life and that you have a job that you really enjoy and again what i had said you also have so much support out there and both you and Dacoa will make it. Remember one day at a time. Remember this Joan got the help she needed when she realized that she was going back to the drugs and thats the step to say I'm stronger then this. Well keep it up girls and hope to see you again on the Dr. Phil show in a year from now and see that you both have succeeded in staying straight....

February 22, 2007, 2:49 pm CST

WOW!

Girls, Im so impressed. You deserve and have earned alot of pride. In a few short months you changed from people I would aviod, to girls I would try to flirt with. Its a reflection of the inner beauty finally coming out.

February 22, 2007, 3:12 pm CST

02/21 The Dr. Phil House: Heroin Twins Follow-up

Sarah-WOW, you looked absolutely amazing!! What a difference. I am so proud of your outstanding success and commitment to this process. You looked so happy and full of life. I wish you the very best on your journey ahead.Congratulations!! Take care.

Tecoa-When I heard that you had relapsed I felt this overwhelming sadness inside of me. I was so desperately hoping that you wouldn't have. I hope that you get focused on this process and your life so that you can lead a happy and healthy future for yourself. One day at a time. I know you can do it! You are a strong and intelligent woman. I wish you the very best and I look forward to hearing about your remarkable success. Take care.

Joani-I could not believe what I was hearing when you said that you went to one of Sarah's old drug dealers to get heroin. That is absolutely absurd!! You know better than that. You have gone through the pain, hurt and self destruction before. You really need to get help for as look as it takes to get your mind clear and focused again on your life. I wish you the very best. Take care.

February 22, 2007, 5:08 pm CST

Joani and prescription medications

I think the thing that is most disturbing to me about what Joani had to say on this show is regarding the refills on the prescription drugs that her doctor gave her. I have no doubt that this is a huge problem. Physicians have a responsibility to their patients to monitor their use of drugs they prescribe to them. I am not saying that it is the physicians fault that a person abuses a drug, what I am saying is that this should have raised a red flag knowing her history with drug abuse. She said on the show that this doctor knew her history and yet raised her dose 3 times and refilled it 6. What was this doctor thinking? Was this in a month? I believe that is what she said. I personally have a history of alcoholism. I have been sober for a year and a half however I have had issues with going to my physician for depression problems. I stated to my doctor that I am in fact an alcoholic and do not want to take any kind of addictive or altering drugs. I have panic attacks and severe anxiety as well. She suggested an antidepressent - Cymbalta and an anti-anxiety medication. After taking them the first time I was in trouble immediately and I knew it. I immediately called her and told her I could no longer take them and she tried to talk me into continuing the medication... and I did because I thought I could handle it. I was very wrong. After some time I was able to get myself under control and stop taking any medication what-so-ever but I also am afraid to go to another doctor period!My question is at what point is a physician responsible for what they prescribe to patients? I know that I am a vulnerable and addictive type person and that is why the first words out of my mouth when seeing a new doctor is about my history with alcohol and any medications. Why are prescription medications given so freely and without follow up? We don't all know what effects prescription drugs will have on us and sometimes they are necessary. Isn't it a physicians responsibility to at least inform us of the risks involved?

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last